THRILLING HERO TALES — A Campaign Chronicle

Steve Long

Howdy, folx! Several of you asked me to post reports if I ever started a PH campaign, so since I kicked one off last night, I figured I’d oblige. These reports are likely to be much shorter and briefer than some others we see posted, because (a) I don’t want to spend too much time on them, and (B) since I plan to use a lot of HPAs, or turn other adventures I run into HPAs down the road, I don’t want to give away too many details.

Dramatis Personae

Before I launch into a review of the first game, I should tell you about the characters and players:

Roy Austin, Aviator and Scientist (played by John Losey)

Jake Brand, Treasure Hunter (played by Dean Nicholson)

Dr. Slava Koslov, Occult Detective and physician (played by Hero’s own art director, Andy Mathews)

Adam MacBryde, Great White Hunter (played by Brad Barrett)

Ricky “the Rocket” Rockelli, baseball player and member of the NY Yankees (played by Hero artist Greg Smith)

Virginia Smith, Archaeologist (played by Amy Crittenden)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THRILLING HERO TALES — A Campaign Chronicle

January 20, 2006

Thrilling Hero Tales #1:

LORD OF THE YELLOW DEATH!

For one reason or another — some clearly understood, some not — each of the heroes found himself in New York City. While there, each of them received a somewhat cryptic letter from Reginald Harrington, attorney at law, requesting a meeting with them.

Driven by curiosity and a sense of adventure, they attended the meeting. There they discovered that each of them had on his left shoulder a mysterious birthmark in the shape of an eagle flying upward. Harrington revealed to them that they were the latest generation of heroes to be born into the Knights of the Eagle Ascending, a secret order formed nearly a thousand years ago by several noble knights who met, seemingly by chance, during the Third Crusade. Perhaps even more astonishing to the heroes was the revelation that their fathers — all seemingly ordinary, even stodgy, men — were once bold adventurers themselves during the Victorian era! Harrington was one of their number.

Sadly, three of those fathers — MacBryde’s, Smith’s, and Brand’s — had all died unexpectedly within the past few weeks. Harrington explained that in their last adventure, their fathers had defeated and killed their greatest adversary: the fiendish Oriental mastermind Dr. Fang Shen, the Demon Doctor, the Devil with the Amethyst Eyes! Based on information he’d received from old contacts and friends around the world, Harrington believed that Dr. Fang had not died all those years ago as was once thought. Now ready to once again try to conquer the world, he was taking the first steps by eliminating his old foes... and would undoubtedly come after their children next!

Fortunately, William MacBryde had apparently foreseen this, for in his will he established a trust to fund the latest generation of the Knights of the Eagle Ascending. He also provided them with a special plane that could land on ground or water, and was equipped with room for the characters to live and sleep and space for their labs and equipment.

Harrington had more news to impart. Disturbingly, Dr. Fang — or someone — recently bought the French castle of Sir Hugh Mortmain, a wicked crusader who was the greatest foe of the first Knights of the Eagle Ascending centuries ago. The castle was disassembled and brought to the US, but Harrington didn’t know where it was rebuilt.

Just then, Harrington’s secretary brought him a note. Before he could reveal its astounding contents to the heroes, a group of Chinese warriors burst in through the window! Armed with hatchets and odd weighted leather thong weapons, each of them was bald with a scar on his head. These were Ying Hu Shi — the Shadow Tiger Warriors, the elite corps of assassins, spies, and fighters in Dr. Fang’s Legion of Crime.

A bitter battle ensued as the heroes protected Harrington and fought back against the Warriors, who seemed extremely tough. After a long and arduous battle, the heathen Chinee were defeated and the note retrieved. It revealed that someone had somehow found the body of Sir Hugh Mortmain buried in the Levant and had shipped it to the US — it was due to arrive on Pier 24 in just a few minutes!

The heroes dashed down to the street and piled into Rockelli’s car. Driving like a madman, Rockelli barely made it to the waterfront on time — the heroes pulled up in time to see a large crate being offloaded from the ship Malay Escapade to a waiting truck by a group of Chinese. While Koslov, Smith, and Brand arranged a distraction, MacBryde snuck into the back of the truck and hid behind the crate.

When the truck left, the heroes followed it through the city... then out of the city... then into rural New York. At times they were nearly discovered, but they barely kept their presence concealed. Eventually the truck pulled off the road and into a wooded copse well-concealed from the road — where they saw the reconstructed Castle Mortmain!

Regrouping, the heroes scouted the castle as rain began to pour and lightning to strike. Twice they saw lightning strike [/i]into the castle through a hole in one part of the roof. The second strike provoked a bellow/scream that made the hair stand up on the back of their necks.

Timing their attack just right, the heroes knocked out two guards and snuck into the castle courtyard. Austin climbed the slippery rock wall to find out how many guards were walking the parapets... when suddenly another guard walked into the courtyard and the heroes were discovered! Austin began shooting the guards on the battlements while the heroes on the ground fought foes of their own and struggled to make their way toward the room with the hole in the roof. They could hear an imperious voice shouting orders in Chinese.

After dispatching the guards, Austin ran around the battlements and climbed up the roof to the hole. Peering in, he saw what his companions soon saw as they barrelled into the room: a Weird Science lab where an elegantly-dressed Chinaman — Dr. Fang! — had just brought back to life Sir Hugh Mortmain! Wielding an enormous sword, Sir Hugh started toward the heroes.

Rockelli hit one of his baseballs at one of the gigantic lightning rods that had drawn the thunderbolts inside, hoping to knock it over onto Sir Hugh. It didn’t quite work, but he weakened the rod considerably. Sensing an opportunity, Austin swung down through the hole in the roof, landed on a table, and threw a beaker of electrolytic solution onto Sir Hugh. MacBryde followed this with a rifle shot to the lightning rod... which began to topple! The half-zombified Sir Hugh, sensing the falling tower, turned and lashed out at it with his sword. There was a tremendous burst of electrical sparks, and the lights went out.

When the lights flickered back on, Sir Hugh was lying on the floor, dead once more... and Dr. Fang was gone! Quickly searching the area, the heroes found a concealed tunnel that led down to a river, on which Dr. Fang had apparently escaped in a speedboat. Perturbed that he got away, but consoling themselves that they had a castle-full of his equipment and books, the heroes returned to New York, victorious.

January 13, 2006

Thrilling Hero Tales #2:

FANGS OF THE SCARLET SERPENT!

After Dr. Koslov receiving a telegram from Dr. Rupert Wellingsley of the Singapore Museum of History saying that the infamous Cult of the Scarlet Serpent, whom the two of them have fought before, is arising once more and preparing for a major ritual of some sort, the PCs fly to Singapore in their custom plane. After touching down in the water they taxi in as near the docks as they can and prepare to offload their gear.

To their surprise and pleasure, they’re met there by Harrison Marsh, Dr. Wellingsley’s assistant, who has four rickshaws and several native helpers so the PCs don’t have to do all the hard work themselves. He explains that Wellingsley sent him down to the docks to take the PCs first to the Raffles Hotel, and then on to meet Wellingsley at the Museum.

The caravan of rickshaws heads through the crowded Singaporan streets, with Marsh in the lead and the baggage in the rear. Then the rickshaws turn down a wide alleyway... and stop! Marsh alights from his, holding a gun on the PCs. He reveals that he is a member of the Cult and tells them their long journey will come to a permanent end in this grimy alleyway. Knife- and gun-wielding Cultists spring out from the surrounding buildings and block all avenues of escape!

A furious battle ensues. The heroes acquit themselves well, and Dr. Koslov even runs Marsh through with his sword-cane, but the overwhelming numbers of the enemy begin to take their toll. Unexpected help arrives in the form of a group of rifle-toting, yellow-turbaned men who take the PCs’ side and begin shooting the Cultists. Roy Austin uses his great strength to shove a path to safety with one of the rickshaws, the the surviving Cultists flee into the crowded streets.

The men with the yellow turbans descend from the rooftops to the street. Their leader, Yusoh Tunku, reveals that they are members of the Mongoose Society, which has opposed the Cult of the Scarlet Serpent in South Asia for centuries. He suggests that the PCs follow him to a nearby hideout to avoid unpleasant questions from the swiftly-arriving colonial police, and they do so.

In the hideout, Tunku explains that the Society has learned that Wellingsley and his daughter Amanda have been kidnapped by the Cult! The heroes and the Society must team up to locate them both before the Cult uses them as sacrifices in the terrible ritual that is to take place any day now. If they can rescue Wellingsley, he’ll know where and when the ritual is being held.

After getting cleaned up, the heroes proceed to the Museum, where with a little bit of persuasion and bluffing they gain access to Wellingsley’s office. The place is a shambles; clearly a struggle took place here. Through clever searching and deduction, they uncover a clue that leads them to believe the Cult will hold Wellingsley (and perhaps his daughter) at the Jao Corporation warehouse south of the city proper on Pulau Blakang Mati — “the Island of Death from Behind,” a place the Society members are nervous and fearful about.

Deciding that dawn is the best time to strike, the PCs rest for the evening and head to the island at first light. They find the warehouse... which proves to be heavily-guarded by Cultists! The heroes stealthily approach and knock out two guards, then peek into the warehouse where they find most of the Cultists sleeping and Wellingsley himself tied up after having been beaten. Unwilling to risk a fight against so many opponents, the heroes set a smokey fire in the warehouse to make the Cultists think the place is burning down. In the confusion, they rescue Wellingsley and retrieve the only copy of his notes from the Cultist in charge.

Wellingsley explains that the Cult still has his daughter, and that she’s undoubtedly to be the sacrifice at the ceremony, scheduled for later that evening at a ruined temple complex north of a large lake in Kelantan. The heroes fly to the rescue, landing on the lake at dusk. They travel through the jungle as quick as they can, but by the time they find the temple it’s pitch-dark night.

In the center of the ruined complex a high priest wielding a golden, ruby-inlaid knife is gesturing and orating over the form of Amanda Wellingsley, who’se been tied to a central altar. MacBryde and Austin set up behind cover with their rifles while Koslov and Brand sneak up close, mug two Cultists, and steal their robes so they can get close enough to rescue the girl.

The ceremony reaches a crescendo... and the high priest steps aside to reveal a gigantic serpent, well over 50 feet long, that will consume the girl! Hesitating no longer, MacBryde takes his shot, drilling the serpent through the head. Austin follows up with a shot that goes right through the high priest’s skull. As the priest falls dead, the golden knife gets flung into the crowd.

With the Cultists running hither and thither in a panic as MacBryde, Austin, and the Mongoose Society members with them keep firing rifles, Koslov moves in to rescue the girl while Brand goes in search of the dagger. Both have tough fights ahead of them before they can accomplish their goals, but each of them succeeds at last. As they’re fleeing the compound, one last Cultist attempts to ambush and kill them, but MacBryde picks him off with a well-placed shot!

And with that, the heroes return in triumph to Singapore to rest, relax, and have a few Singapore Slings in the Long Bar at the famous Raffles Hotel.

January 13, 2006

Thrilling Hero Tales #2:

FANGS OF THE SCARLET SERPENT!

After Dr. Koslov receiving a telegram from Dr. Rupert Wellingsley of the Singapore Museum of History ...

First - let me say that this was a superfun game!

Second - Steve was tricked out with props (official Western Union looking telegram, numerous maps and kick-*** hex map (which he's shown off already on-line)).

If you haven't already done so - you should post links to where you got some of that stuff.

Andy (Slava Koslov) :thumbup:

Keeping score - Gets the girl

Koslov: 1, Everyone else: 0 :king:

If you haven't already done so - you should post links to where you got some of that stuff.

The hexplates of course were a present made for me by John Grigni, who's gearing up to sell them to interested Heroites. There was a thread about this a while back on the "Company Questions" board.

The telegram form is part of the HPLHS Prop Documents collection, available from http://www.cthulhulives.org -- in fact, it's one of several that they give away for free, though I think the whole collection is worth the money if you like making props for your Pulp-era games. ;)

The map of the Singapore region was prepared by me with Campaign Cartographer using a free map of the world available in the Map Library section of the ProFantasy Software website, http://www.profantasy.com. I don't recall who prepared the base world map, but it's listed on the site -- all I did was add period names to the relevant part of the map (since that was easier than photocopying one of my antique maps, or trying to use the @*%^!!-up National Geographic Maps CD-ROM printing utility). The more detailed map of Singapore I got on the web somewhere. The map of the ruined temple where the ritual was held was adapted from ProFantasy's Tombs, Temples, And Catacombs collection.

He suggests that the PCs follow him to a nearby hideout to avoid unpleasant questions from the swiftly-arriving colonial police' date=' and they do so.[/quote']

I would have thought that the colonial police would have been the ones facing unpleasant questions. After all, they were the ones letting gangs attack Europeans in the streets.

It just goes to show why you should always have at least one British PC in your pulp games. Or better yet two, since a valet is always useful.

It doesn't make any difference who's European and who's not. When there a dozen or so bodies scattered about, large firearms present, and so on, both dramatically and realistically dealing with the police is not likely to be pleasant, even when one is white. ;)

When there a dozen or so bodies scattered about' date=' large firearms present,[/quote']

Ah, well, there's the first problem.

Strolling around like Chicago gangsters is just asking for trouble. :)

And I wasn't talking about characters that were just white. I was talking about characters that were British. ;)

There's some wonderful symmetry between your run and ours this week.

Clearly, some master villain is manipulating events behind the scenes! If we lived closer together, I'd suggest a joint campaign session to team up and get the evil mastermind. ;)

Steve – thanks for running, the game was great fun!

In retrospect, I can't believe that we walked into that ambush. We’re normally so suspicious that it seems really odd now that I look back on it. It never even occurred it me at the time.

At least, not until you said “the rickshaw turns off the main road into an alley†and before you even finished describing the alley we were all exchanging the “yep, we’re boned†look.

Actually, the more I think about it the funnier it seems.

Brad (Adam MacBryde)

In retrospect, I can't believe that we walked into that ambush. We’re normally so suspicious that it seems really odd now that I look back on it. It never even occurred it me at the time.

Looks like all those bright, shiny objects I invested in as a distraction worked! :sneaky:

But now that you're on to me I'll have to come up with another trick the next time I need to stage an ambush.

/Sigh

Great post Steve, I can only wish that I was able to play in it as well. Only been in one Pulp game and I loved it. It has a certain style and feel that is so welcome that you feel more at home in that environment than any other.

Maybe its the age of the average player, having been weened on the Indiana Jones teet. Who really knows?

But keep up the posts I love reading this stuff. Might even inspire me to post my journal in the Fantasy Hero section for an upcoming campaign there.

Two thumbs up!!

It has a certain style and feel that is so welcome that you feel more at home in that environment than any other.

Maybe its the age of the average player, having been weened on the Indiana Jones teet. Who really knows?

It's funny you should mention that. Two of players in the campaign (of which I am one) don’t really “get” Pulp as a genre. More than once I have remarked that my knowledge of the genre basically stops at Indiana Jones. Yet somehow this was the most fun I’ve had gaming in a really long time.

With no outside urging at all, every single player at the table was suddenly going for ‘cinematic drama’ with their actions rather than ‘tactical planning’.

And it was a beautiful thing to behold. I can’t wait for the next game.

Brad (Adam MacBryde)

The fun thing is' date=' I didn't make that up. The island (now known as Sentosa, IIRC) was called that, and that's what the Malay name translates to. Someday I hope to find out how it got the name. ;)[/quote']

Here is what I found.

"Sentosa was known in the immediate years after World War II as Pulau Belakang Mati, roughly translated from Malay as the Island of Death From Behind, because most of the defending artillery guns in Fort Siloso then were pointed to the south, facing the sea in expectation of a seaward Japanese assault. However, the Japanese eventually invaded and captured Singapore from the north, after having done the same to Malaya (now known as West or Peninsular Malaysia)." http://sentosa.biography.ms/