Starship Design Question/Taking Damage

Aroooo

Not sure if this should go here, or the Rules Q&A, but since its Star Hero related, hopefully Steve will chime in too.

In all the rules I've seen governing starship combat and damage, there is no real mention of STUN damage effects caused to ships. The rules only talk about BODY damage - which makes a fair amount of sense, since we are talking about a construct. Given that, why do the sample starships in SH list the Ablative limitation at -1, when pg 77 of FRED states Ablative vs. BODY only is worth [only] a -1/2 limitation?

Or does that mean STUN damage really does count, and if so, what other repurcussions are there aside from the Ablative effects?

Or does Ablative [vs. BODY only] get a -1 limitation for ships/vehicles, and I just missed the rule?

Or does that mean I've got cabin fever from being snowed in and I've been staring at the starship design rules too long :) ?

Aroooo

Re: Starship Design Question/Taking Damage

Originally posted by Aroooo

Not sure if this should go here, or the Rules Q&A, but since its Star Hero related, hopefully Steve will chime in too.

In all the rules I've seen governing starship combat and damage, there is no real mention of STUN damage effects caused to ships. The rules only talk about BODY damage - which makes a fair amount of sense, since we are talking about a construct. Given that, why do the sample starships in SH list the Ablative limitation at -1, when pg 77 of FRED states Ablative vs. BODY only is worth [only] a -1/2 limitation?

There's a variant -1 Ablative on page 78 of H5, referenced on p. 198 of star Hero.

If an attack could do BODY if it rolled well enough, the defense is reduced by 5 AP, whether the attack actually does damage or not.

e.g. 10d6 EB vs. 15 ED Force Field reduces the Force Field by 5 AP per hit.

The value of the Ablative Limitation depends on whether or not it lowers the Active Points when STUN or BODY is exceeded in the attack. IIRC, it's worth (-1/2) if the attack exceeds EITHER STUN or BODY and (-1) if it exceeds BODY only. Since vehicles don't have a STUN characteristic, Ablative would have to be taken as a (-1) limitation.

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

The value of the Ablative Limitation depends on whether or not it lowers the Active Points when STUN or BODY is exceeded in the attack. IIRC, it's worth (-1/2) if the attack exceeds EITHER STUN or BODY and (-1) if it exceeds BODY only. Since vehicles don't have a STUN characteristic, Ablative would have to be taken as a (-1) limitation.

Its the other way around. -1 if STUN or BODY damage exceed defense; -1/2 if only BODY damage exceeds defenses.

Armitage is right. Lower on pg 78 of FRED (which I missed before) there is a variant Ablative for -1. Essentially, if BODY damage gets through the defense, then the defense looses 5 active points of defense. Cool. Thats what I'll use.

Aroooo

Its the other way around. -1 if STUN or BODY damage exceed defense; -1/2 if only BODY damage exceeds defenses.

Armitage is right. Lower on pg 78 of FRED (which I missed before) there is a variant Ablative for -1. Essentially, if BODY damage gets through the defense, then the defense looses 5 active points of defense. Cool. Thats what I'll use.

Aroooo

Duly noted, sir. I stand corrected.

Aroooo

Okay, now I'm confused. I recently took a double-take on this topic, re-read your post, and re-checked page 77,78. Now, if I understand correctly, Ablative works (see above post/quote) as discussed. HOWEVER, as a variant, per GM option, it would be a -1 only if there was excess BODY and the BODY wouldn't be taken as BODY damage, it would work on the Act Pts of the ablative defense?

Okay, now I'm confused. I recently took a double-take on this topic, re-read your post, and re-checked page 77,78. Now, if I understand correctly, Ablative works (see above post/quote) as discussed. HOWEVER, as a variant, per GM option, it would be a -1 only if there was excess BODY and the BODY wouldn't be taken as BODY damage, it would work on the Act Pts of the ablative defense?

The variant reduces the defense by 5 AP if the attack could do BODY if the damage roll was good enough, whether it actually does BODY or not.

6d6 Energy Blast vs. 15 ED

Maximum 12 BODY, no Ablation

12d6 Energy Blast vs. 15 ED

Maximum 24 BODY, Defenses Ablate whatever the actual BODY damage is.

Originally posted by Armitage

The variant reduces the defense by 5 AP if the attack could do BODY if the damage roll was good enough, whether it actually does BODY or not.

6d6 Energy Blast vs. 15 ED

Maximum 12 BODY, no Ablation

12d6 Energy Blast vs. 15 ED

Maximum 24 BODY, Defenses Ablate whatever the actual BODY damage is.

Thank you.

I understood it that if damage gets through, the ship takes damage as normal, and the defense looses 5 active points. But after re-reading it again, the wording is a little confusing. There are a lof of 'ifs' in the paragraph. I'll post a rules Q&A for clarification.

Aroooo