!SPOILER! Vibora Bay

Brick

I was wondering if anybody has already fleshed out the final days of the great war between Heaven and Hell that Therakiel has been preparing for. How will the war be fought? What exact role will Robert Caliburn have in it? How can the PCs also be major players without being overshadowed by Caliburn? And - how will the outcome affect the City Of Shadows?

Yes, these are questions for the individual GM to decide, but I am a lazy person...;-)

And by the way, some of you guys have AWESOME ideas, so why not taking them... if I don't have any of my own until now?

Well, okay, here are some general thoughts:

I think that the war would be fought more or less in secret, only on a greater scale - in the shadows, fitting to Vibora Bay's nickname. I imagine a lot of newcomers who appear to be human, but are representatives of Heaven and Hell. Think "Highlander" meets "Underworld", "End Od Days" and "God's Army". By night, the dark alleys of Vibora Bay become battlefields for flame-sword-wielding angels and brutish, fire-breathing demons. And of course, the usual suspects are more active than ever - Crowns of Krim, Devil's Advocates etc. on one side, and Dr. Ka and the gang on the other, all called into action by their patrons/mentors/allies. Caliburn has experienced several personal tragedies - a girl he loved has been killed, maybe he lost an eye or an arm in battle. He's bitter and close to the edge so he can be seduced easily to go over to the "dark side". The PCs are in the thick of it, fighting alongside Caliburn.

He is almost turned but convinced by the PCs to stick with the side of the "light". He kills several major players of Hell, thus ensuring victory for Heaven. After that, he confronts Therakiel together with the PCs. The half-angel's plans are revealed. He attacks Caliburn with a ritual dagger to get the "chosen warrior's" blood which would, according to his plans, ascend him into a higher state, enabling him to challenge the Almighty himself. However, this is when bright light and a mighty voice fill the cave. "Therakiel, you have had your chance. For thousands of years, you had the chance to reconcile with me. To beg for forgiveness. I would have given it to you, gladly. But this final act has damned you forever. I am sorry." The half-angel is swallowed by a hellish abyss, screaming.

It was never about the war between Heaven and Hell. It was never about Caliburn. Caliburn was only a tool, a mighty warrior that would decide this battle in Vibora Bay. It was all about Therakiel - if he would finally see the light.

Caliburn leaves the City Of Shadows. He is tired and goes his own ways. But the war between Good and Evil will always be fought. It can never be over, for there must always be balance. And so, the City of Shadows will remain a focal point for both sides. And it will still need its protectors... the PCs.

End Credits.

Any comments?

Re: !SPOILER! Vibora Bay

In my Champions of Vancouver Campaign I have a PC incarnation of the Arcangel Gabriel and the Heroes have recently battled, captured, and Imprisioned 5 Crowns of Krim. I have also added Entropy bearer of the Orichalum Crown of Krim.

We actually discussed the idea that the Crowns are actually the Physical Representations on Earth of the Halos of Fallen Angels. The Dragon Crown may actually be Lucifer's Halo.

Archangel Gabriel is posted my Campaign Thread.

QM

Sort of deus ex machina in a big big way' date=' isn't it?[/quote']

Quite literally, yes... if you put it that way.:-)

However, I liked the idea of Therakiel being the fool all along. I mean, HE, of all people, should know that the Boss knows everything, but he puts all this in motion, all the time thinking he cannot be detected by you-know-who. Very arrogant, in my opinion.

And by no means is this the only way it can work out. Like I said, I would like to share ideas.

I agree with Brick's reasoning. I mean, if you accept J-C beliefs (and as w're talking about bona-fide angels here...), then God is omniscient. Do you actually think you're going to put one over on Him, especially when He already has a reason to keep an eye on you?

Of course, there are probably a hundred or so reasons why you could do it differently in game (this isn't 'the' God, this is a relation of the WoD God), but I like the idea that Therakiel is the one being tested.

I agree with Brick's reasoning. I mean' date=' if you accept J-C beliefs (and as w're talking about bona-fide [b']angels[/b] here...), then God is omniscient. Do you actually think you're going to put one over on Him, especially when He already has a reason to keep an eye on you?

Of course, there are probably a hundred or so reasons why you could do it differently in game (this isn't 'the' God, this is a relation of the WoD God), but I like the idea that Therakiel is the one being tested.

Given that we're talking about the Champions Universe, I would say that it's more likely that God in this scenario isn't actually the Supreme Deity. In the CU there's an "imaginal realm" in the Astral Plane called Elysium, the home of all the gods of the "ethical" pantheons of modern religions; but these are beings created out of the spiritual energy of their massed worshippers. Perhaps the mightiest of these is Yahweh/ Jehovah/ Allah, but awesome as he doubtless is he's still not necessarily omniscient. He is also served by angels that fit the various traditional descriptions, with a similar origin to his; it's likely that Therakiel would be one of these. So Therakiel's plan might actually stand a chance of working! :eek:

I must admit that before this thread I hadn't considered how the final war between "Heaven" and "Hell" (or the Netherworld, another imaginal realm, in the CU) might play out, but I've become intrigued by the concept. Since Brick requested ideas, I might as well spell out a few of my thoughts.

If I were going to run this as a storyline, I'd start with the following premises:

- However low-key the war might start out, the finale would have to be BIG. Final war between God and Satan is pretty much the working definition of the Apocalypse.

- There should be a clear logical in-story reason why Vibora Bay would become the site for this battle, other than it just being "magically charged."

- Robert Caliburn is supposed to be crucial to the outcome of the war, but the PCs should clearly be the focus of the story, and their actions should lead directly to that outcome.

- As corollary to the above, the PCs should ideally have encountered Caliburn before these events and developed a sympathetic relationship with him. It would also be helpful if they had a relationship with some benevolent agency in the Mystic World who could let them know what grand events are afoot, such as the Trismegistus Council, one of the powers of Elysium, or the superhero-sponsoring god Marduk.

With all that established, here are my ideas for a plot. I'll include some variant ideas for more options:

Recently Robert Caliburn did a favor for the Emperor of the imaginal realm of Babylon, and was rewarded with an artifact or gift of power. Already possessing gifts from Elysium and the Land Of Legends, Caliburn has fulfilled three of the four main criteria for becoming Archmage of Earth. All that remains is a gift from the demons of the Netherworld. Some of the Demon Princes have decided that they could use such a gift to seduce Caliburn to side with them - having the Archmage in their pocket would greatly advance their cause on Earth.

The PCs' mystic contact warns them of this development and leads them to try to intercept the demons. This could be run as a straight fight between demons and heroes, or as a roleplaying opportunity for each party to try to convince Caliburn where to stand. In either case, Caliburn appears and accepts the demons' gift. However, at that moment he's revealed as Therakiel masquerading as Caliburn, who steals the gift and disappears. The PCs should be given a means to follow him to his lair, where they will learn the Halfway Angel's background and plans. They can either spy on him talking to himself (he's already mad, and has had no one else to converse with for a long time), or if they confront him Therakiel will indulge in the time-honored villain's habit of boasting about his master plan. ;)

Therakiel has already captured Robert Caliburn. He will allow Caliburn to ascend to the status of Archmage, but with his will and power firmly under Therakiel's control. With the might of the Archmage added to his own, Therakiel will attempt to immediately provoke the final conflict. My thought for this would be for Therakiel to attempt to free the Dragon from its bonds, or at least incarnate it on Earth. (For those who don't know the Dragon, see The Mystic World for details. Suffice it to say that the Dragon essentially is Satan, the primordial source of all evil on Earth.) Therakiel is certain that doing so will prompt the powers of Elysium to descend to Earth to oppose the Dragon, while the forces of the Netherworld arise to support it.

Something about Vibora Bay should make it the ideal site for this great magick. Perhaps Therakiel's enchantment of the area amplifies his own spells, or allows his power to be conducted directly to the Dragon's bonds. Perhaps the vast sentient lifeforce in San Sebastien Swamp would make the perfect sacrifice to fuel his ritual.

The PCs will doubtless try to stop Therakiel, but should be no match for his now-immense power. (You can keep him from finishing the heroes off by saying that they are beneath his notice, and that he is eager to begin his great spell.) Instead they will have to find and free Robert Caliburn from Therakiel's lair, which should be perilously but not impenetrably guarded.

Once they free Caliburn, Therakiel will have to be stopped. Caliburn may join with the PCs in assaulting the Halfway Angel, but it would be difficult to keep the new Archmage from overshadowing the other heroes. Alternatively, Caliburn could attack Therakiel alone while the PCs attempt to protect the people of Vibora Bay; the powers of Elysium and the Netherworld have detected Therakiel's spell (although not Therakiel himself), and the vanguards of the Heavenly and Infernal Hosts have started popping in all over the city. The heroes will have to get between the warring angels and demons to keep them for destroying the city and slaughtering the populace, probably alongside the other heroes of Vibora Bay. Or, Caliburn could depart to try to reverse Therakiel's summoning of the Dragon, leaving the other heroes to keep Therakiel occupied long enough.

(It would be in-genre for Robert Caliburn to sacrifice his life to stop the coming of the Dragon, probably with accompanying remarks of self-mockery. That would not only be emotionally affecting for the PCs, but pave the way for Witchcraft to succeed him as Archmage, as she does in the official CU timeline.)

Regardless, the Dragon should be prevented from appearing (unless a GM wants to deal with the consequences of that) :fear: ; and during the course of the battle Therakiel would be revealed to the warring factions as the true instigator of their conflict. There are several possible outcomes to this event. With the Dragon out of the picture, the forces of Elysium and the Netherworld might conclude that further battle is pointless and depart, leaving Therakiel to face the total failure of all his plans and his reason for living. Alternatively, both sides could be royally p.o.ed at the Halfway Angel and combine their might to end his tormented existence once and for all. Another possibility - the one I would favor - would be for Therakiel to be moved by the devastation he has caused, and inspired by the courage and self-sacrifice of the heroes (and perhaps Caliburn's sacrifice) to wholly embrace the side of Light and help drive back the demonic army. I would find it emotionally satisfying if this act redeemed Therakiel, so that Heaven welcomed him back.

Besides the need to rebuild the devastated Vibora Bay, there could be several consequences for the PCs in the aftermath of this war. If Robert Caliburn survived, they would now be owed a favor by Earth's new Archmage. OTOH they would have earned the wrath of powerful demons, not to mention the Dragon itself. And if Therakiel survived and was not redeemed, the maddened and desperate Halfway Angel would now have nothing to live for - except, perhaps, revenge on the heroes he blames for his failure...

Anyway, that's what I came up with. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Given that we're talking about the Champions Universe' date=' I would say that it's more likely that God in this scenario isn't actually [b']the[/b] Supreme Deity. In the CU there's an "imaginal realm" in the Astral Plane called Elysium, the home of all the gods of the "ethical" pantheons of modern religions; but these are beings created out of the spiritual energy of their massed worshippers. Perhaps the mightiest of these is Yahweh/ Jehovah/ Allah, but awesome as he doubtless is he's still not necessarily omniscient. He is also served by angels that fit the various traditional descriptions, with a similar origin to his; it's likely that Therakiel would be one of these. So Therakiel's plan might actually stand a chance of working! :eek:

I must admit that before this thread I hadn't considered how the final war between "Heaven" and "Hell" (or the Netherworld, another imaginal realm, in the CU) might play out, but I've become intrigued by the concept. Since Brick requested ideas, I might as well spell out a few of my thoughts.

If I were going to run this as a storyline, I'd start with the following premises:

- However low-key the war might start out, the finale would have to be BIG. Final war between God and Satan is pretty much the working definition of the Apocalypse.

- There should be a clear logical in-story reason why Vibora Bay would become the site for this battle, other than it just being "magically charged."

- Robert Caliburn is supposed to be crucial to the outcome of the war, but the PCs should clearly be the focus of the story, and their actions should lead directly to that outcome.

- As corollary to the above, the PCs should ideally have encountered Caliburn before these events and developed a sympathetic relationship with him. It would also be helpful if they had a relationship with some benevolent agency in the Mystic World who could let them know what grand events are afoot, such as the Trismegistus Council, one of the powers of Elysium, or the superhero-sponsoring god Marduk.

With all that established, here are my ideas for a plot. I'll include some variant ideas for more options:

Recently Robert Caliburn did a favor for the Emperor of the imaginal realm of Babylon, and was rewarded with an artifact or gift of power. Already possessing gifts from Elysium and the Land Of Legends, Caliburn has fulfilled three of the four main criteria for becoming Archmage of Earth. All that remains is a gift from the demons of the Netherworld. Some of the Demon Princes have decided that they could use such a gift to seduce Caliburn to side with them - having the Archmage in their pocket would greatly advance their cause on Earth.

The PCs' mystic contact warns them of this development and leads them to try to intercept the demons. This could be run as a straight fight between demons and heroes, or as a roleplaying opportunity for each party to try to convince Caliburn where to stand. In either case, Caliburn appears and accepts the demons' gift. However, at that moment he's revealed as Therakiel masquerading as Caliburn, who steals the gift and disappears. The PCs should be given a means to follow him to his lair, where they will learn the Halfway Angel's background and plans. They can either spy on him talking to himself (he's already mad, and has had no one else to converse with for a long time), or if they confront him Therakiel will indulge in the time-honored villain's habit of boasting about his master plan. ;)

Therakiel has already captured Robert Caliburn. He will allow Caliburn to ascend to the status of Archmage, but with his will and power firmly under Therakiel's control. With the might of the Archmage added to his own, Therakiel will attempt to immediately provoke the final conflict. My thought for this would be for Therakiel to attempt to free the Dragon from its bonds, or at least incarnate it on Earth. (For those who don't know the Dragon, see The Mystic World for details. Suffice it to say that the Dragon essentially is Satan, the primordial source of all evil on Earth.) Therakiel is certain that doing so will prompt the powers of Elysium to descend to Earth to oppose the Dragon, while the forces of the Netherworld arise to support it.

Something about Vibora Bay should make it the ideal site for this great magick. Perhaps Therakiel's enchantment of the area amplifies his own spells, or allows his power to be conducted directly to the Dragon's bonds. Perhaps the vast sentient lifeforce in San Sebastien Swamp would make the perfect sacrifice to fuel his ritual.

The PCs will doubtless try to stop Therakiel, but should be no match for his now-immense power. (You can keep him from finishing the heroes off by saying that they are beneath his notice, and that he is eager to begin his great spell.) Instead they will have to find and free Robert Caliburn from Therakiel's lair, which should be perilously but not impenetrably guarded.

Once they free Caliburn, Therakiel will have to be stopped. Caliburn may join with the PCs in assaulting the Halfway Angel, but it would be difficult to keep the new Archmage from overshadowing the other heroes. Alternatively, Caliburn could attack Therakiel alone while the PCs attempt to protect the people of Vibora Bay; the powers of Elysium and the Netherworld have detected Therakiel's spell (although not Therakiel himself), and the vanguards of the Heavenly and Infernal Hosts have started popping in all over the city. The heroes will have to get between the warring angels and demons to keep them for destroying the city and slaughtering the populace, probably alongside the other heroes of Vibora Bay. Or, Caliburn could depart to try to reverse Therakiel's summoning of the Dragon, leaving the other heroes to keep Therakiel occupied long enough.

(It would be in-genre for Robert Caliburn to sacrifice his life to stop the coming of the Dragon, probably with accompanying remarks of self-mockery. That would not only be emotionally affecting for the PCs, but pave the way for Witchcraft to succeed him as Archmage, as she does in the official CU timeline.)

Regardless, the Dragon should be prevented from appearing (unless a GM wants to deal with the consequences of that) :fear: ; and during the course of the battle Therakiel would be revealed to the warring factions as the true instigator of their conflict. There are several possible outcomes to this event. With the Dragon out of the picture, the forces of Elysium and the Netherworld might conclude that further battle is pointless and depart, leaving Therakiel to face the total failure of all his plans and his reason for living. Alternatively, both sides could be royally p.o.ed at the Halfway Angel and combine their might to end his tormented existence once and for all. Another possibility - the one I would favor - would be for Therakiel to be moved by the devastation he has caused, and inspired by the courage and self-sacrifice of the heroes (and perhaps Caliburn's sacrifice) to wholly embrace the side of Light and help drive back the demonic army. I would find it emotionally satisfying if this act redeemed Therakiel, so that Heaven welcomed him back.

Besides the need to rebuild the devastated Vibora Bay, there could be several consequences for the PCs in the aftermath of this war. If Robert Caliburn survived, they would now be owed a favor by Earth's new Archmage. OTOH they would have earned the wrath of powerful demons, not to mention the Dragon itself. And if Therakiel survived and was not redeemed, the maddened and desperate Halfway Angel would now have nothing to live for - except, perhaps, revenge on the heroes he blames for his failure...

Anyway, that's what I came up with. :)

I owe you REP

Cheers

QM