HALO Hero?

CorPse

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: HALO Hero?

Actually, I've just started playing the game for the first time recently and haven't yet finished it. I've a feeling it won't be long now.

However, what I have seen so far-

4 types of aliens (you can tell I haven't bothered reading the manual here)

• Goblin/gremlins - a bit cowardly
  • Orc types with power shields
  • The larger orc-types
  • The power armoured/cyborg types

4 types of Flood

• Explosive pods
  • Large explosive humanoid
  • Skeletal humanoid with tentacles
  • Larger humanoid

Weapons-

• Pistol
  • Plasma Pistol
  • Assault Rifle
  • Plasma Blaster
  • Shotgun
  • Needler
  • Missile Launcher
  • Fragmentation Grenades
  • Plasma Grenades

And of course the main character has a recharging shield.

However, what I have seen so far-

4 types of aliens

• Goblin/gremlins - a bit cowardly
  • Orc types with power shields
  • The larger orc-types
  • The power armoured/cyborg types

Yes, these would be, in the same order, Grunts, Jackals, Elites, and Hunters.

When I think about it the only tricky thing would be to figure out the right limitations to build Master Chief's shield. Is it Ablative? Seems like if it gets completely drained it'll charge back in about a turn... it might actually take a little longer, but this seems like a convenient length.

That, and the needler might take a little work. Seems like if you get hit with enough needles you suffer an additional One Hex AE attack that kills everything except the Hunter outright. Yes, and the needler ammo has that nasty tendency to follow you around corners... perhaps a limited form of Indirect?

Whatca think lads?

CorPse

Yes, these would be, in the same order, Grunts, Jackals, Elites, and Hunters.

When I think about it the only tricky thing would be to figure out the right limitations to build Master Chief's shield. Is it Ablative? Seems like if it gets completely drained it'll charge back in about a turn... it might actually take a little longer, but this seems like a convenient length.

That, and the needler might take a little work. Seems like if you get hit with enough needles you suffer an additional One Hex AE attack that kills everything except the Hunter outright. Yes, and the needler ammo has that nasty tendency to follow you around corners... perhaps a limited form of Indirect?

Whatca think lads?

CorPse

It isn't an AE attack. If you are hit by the needles, they stick in and explode a second or two later. They should be built as a low powered 'seeking' missile.

Maybe... build a needler as an autofire cumulative attack? Use the cumulative advantage to represent multiple hits "stack" their damage, meaning you only get your defenses once if you are hit multiple times? Dunno.

That is the whole trick of the needler -- individual hits barely hurt you. However, get enough stuck onto a target and the poor sod simply pops like a ripe melon when the "needles" explode simultaneously.

It isn't an AE attack. If you are hit by the needles' date=' they stick in and explode a second or two later. They should be built as a low powered 'seeking' missile.[/quote']

Hmmm... seems like I've gotten injured plenty of times by someone exploding when they've hit "needle critical mass." That part of the special effect of the needler seems like a One Hex AE which is only trigged when you get enough needles stuck to you.

Your thoughts?

Maybe... build a needler as an autofire cumulative attack? Use the cumulative advantage to represent multiple hits "stack" their damage' date=' meaning you only get your defenses once if you are hit multiple times? That is the whole trick of the needler -- individual hits barely hurt you. However, get enough stuck onto a target and the poor sod simply pops like a ripe melon when the "needles" explode simultaneously.[/quote']

Hmmm... attacks that do damage are inherently cumulative, so under 5ER you couldn't do that, but certainly autofire seems like it makes sense.

So, I guess I've always thought of the mini-explosion caused by the needles as the cause of the damage, but are you suggesting that the fiery pink explosion is the special effect of the needler doing enough Body to kill its target?

Hmmm... attacks that do damage are inherently cumulative, so under 5ER you couldn't do that, but certainly autofire seems like it makes sense.

So, I guess I've always thought of the mini-explosion caused by the needles as the cause of the damage, but are you suggesting that the fiery pink explosion is the special effect of the needler doing enough Body to kill its target?

No, the more needles you have in you, the more damage you take at once. If you watch carefully, the needles all pile up on a target then all explode as one about 1-2 seconds after you stop shooting at that target. In fact, I'll have to test this out to be absolutely sure -- I do believe, however, that they simply all explode the moment you let up on the trigger. Which is why burst fire with the needler is wholly ineffective against the shielded Elites or Hunters.

Maybe set it up with delay or trigger, you hit them a few times, then set them off?

The needles possibly should be low damage, with armour piercing, and a small, cummulative, explosive triggered effect. Actually - scratch AP and low damage, make them penetrating.

The needles may just get extra OCV to represent some self guidance. To represent the travel time - have them be "extra time - next phase" or something.

What I find annoying is being hit with a plasma grenade - because they stick. That'd be an RKA explosive, delayed effect.

Interesting... seems like we have slightly different Needler SFX in mind... anybody game to try to create one? I'm busy with work, but I'd love to see what folks would come up with! (But remember Cumulative can't be used with attacks that cause direct damage--at least not in 5ER.)

CorPse

Needler: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Needler: RKA 1/2d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Independent (-2), 64 Boostable Charges which Never Recover (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Semi Self Guiding: +2 with any single attack with one specific weapon (Real Cost: 2) [64 bc]

Needler: (Total: 22 Active Cost' date=' 5 Real Cost) [i']Needler:[/i] RKA 1/2d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Independent (-2), 64 Boostable Charges which Never Recover (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Semi Self Guiding: +2 with any single attack with one specific weapon (Real Cost: 2) [64 bc]

Interesting. Do you think it would be autofire?

Also, I think you're required to build weapons with 5pt. CSLs if you want to improve OCV...

But, cool, Rep for posting a gun...

I thought boostable charge is closer to what it does than autofire (even though that gives burnout - which doesn't apply). I'll fix the skill thing though.

Needler: (Total: 42 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Needler: RKA 1/2d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Autofire (2 shots; +1 1/4) (32 Active Points); Independent (-2), 64 Boostable Charges which Never Recover (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Semi Self Guiding: +2 with Ranged Combat (Real Cost: 10) [64 bc]