Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Starlord

This would generally be comic series that weren't given much of a chance, not the ones that went 60 plus issues, but say under 20 issues or so.

The MC2s A-Next series - only lasted 12 issues. It came out about the same time the Busiek/Perez Avengers run was beginning and I was starting to check out some other titles and get back into comics again. Just when I started to get into a brand new series with great art by Frenz they ditch it.

The Champions of Los Angeles - this came out when I first started getting into comics in the mid-70s and only last about 13 issues or so I believe. It probably doesn't stand up now, but it was one of those standout series that sucked me into comic books. I enjoyed reading mythology so I was fixated on Hercules and I remember thinking Ghost Rider looked cool.

Anyone else?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

I'm trying to think of some, but nothing's coming to mind right away. Hmm.

What I can think of are lots of titles that seemed neat and interesting when they started, but I quickly lost interest in, some after only a few issues (Psi-Force), some after 10-30 issues (new Ghost Rider, Guardians of the Galaxy, 2099 stuff). And tons of titles that are in the middle of long runs that I'll try for a little while and wind up dropping, perhaps to try again in a few years.

Doc sez...

The series I wished to stayed around longer are usually the ones from the non-Big Two comic companies.

Not in any particular order...

Elementals...I know it ran more than a 20 issues, but I was put off when it was finally cancelled. It was a great series even when it became somewhat convoluted towards the end.

UN Force...A very nice series that probably would have gotten better over time. A great introduction to interantional hero concepts (beyond the Global Guardians).

Others would be Hero Machine, Legions X-1 and X-2, the Survivors, System Seven, Hero Alliance, The Fazers, etc.

I even would have like to see the Amalgam comics continued one in some fashion.

Doc Tough

Wow, bringing back memories. One series I liked was the Priest series Xero: it was about a high level operative who would be brought into for the toughest jobs. Just a spy persay since, in Xero's words, "spooks are a dime a dozen." Also, it's tough to be a spy when you're a 6'5" man with blond hair. Of course, under the mask, he was actually black and a famous basketball player. Some whacky concepts to be sure but it was an interesting read.

The Milestone series was nice too, especially Icon.

Captain Britain, and here I'm talking about the classic original Cap and not the rather ordinary flag-covered super he later became. I used to read his weekly comic (free cut-out mask in issue one, if I recall!) and the odd appearances in Team-Up and the like (which is when I first noticed that his boots actually had heels... weird, when most heroes seem to manage without them) and he hasn't been the same since. Occasional attempts to revive him seem doomed.

I also enjoyed Machine Man, but I was young back then.

I really liked the Spider-Man clone saga that came out about 10 years ago. I loved the Ben Reilly as Spider-Man costume design (which they later used for Spider-Girl), and loved the idea of a fresh new Spider-Man with all the classic powers taking the mantle from Parker without all the baggage Parker had. Plus you still have Parker around to give advice or make guest appearances.

But no, all whiny fanboys moaned and *****ed so much that Marvel ended up doing a complete 180 and killing off Ben Reilly. I was so mad. That was pretty much the last straw that had me give up comic book collecting. They at least could have kept the Ben Reilly character alive and spun him off into his own book or something. I would have followed it. I liked the character.

Warriors of Plasm (Defiant)

Any of the New Gods series (DC)

Komandi (DC)

Hawkworld (DC)

X (Darkhorse)

Ghost (Darkhorse)

Hero Zero(Darkhorse)

Titan (Darkhorse)

Icon (Milestone)

Hardware (Milestone)

The Protectors (Malibu)

I know I’m forgetting a few.

I know a few of the above ran for a few years but they never got the treatment they deserved.

many were independants:

System Seven: Government created Supers that decided to go independant - lasted 3 issues.

Megaton: carried three or four stories I belive it went 11 issues. It was the first appearance of the Savage Dragon, but he was just called Dragon, was married to Smasher and had a baby. The stories revolved but there was always a story about Megaton a former child actor given superpoewers. I loved it. And Erik Larsen hadn't settled on the crap art style he has now. It was a more generic Byrne-ish, style; I liked it a lot better.

A-Next was another I enjoyed alot.

It's not so much individual comics that I miss as entire stillborn universes.

!mpact Comics (especially The Fly, Jaguar and The Comet) A well-done attempt to go back to the roots of comic story telling, with 80% less angst. One of these days I have to pick up the run of The Black Hood too.

The Protectors and it's spin offs (Ferret, Man-of-War, Gravestone) from Malibu - another good, "back to basics" universe before it started going south. First they merged it with their "X-Mutants" title and then they killed it in order to make room for...

The Ultraverse - Excellent creators given an opportunity to create a universe from scratch. It didn't all work, but they created some create characters (personal favorites - Hardcase, Choice, Nightman, Mantra, Prototype and Ranger) and very good stories. The entwined origin idea was interesting and they played it out nicely during the first year of the comics. Then Marvel bought them...

Shadowline - Eclipse's attempt to do superheroes. Lots of interesting stuff going on - their lead character was a deceitful anti-hero pursuing his own agenda (Doctor Zero - he arranged for a missile attack on the G8 summit so he could fly in and stop it). Michael Devlin (St. George) was one of the better written religious characters in comics.

Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel)

A-Next (Marvel)

Qusar (Marvel)

Alpha Flight (Marvel)

the version of the Legion of Super Heroes post Zero Hour before the most recent reboot (DC)

Protectors (Malibu)

Ex-Mutants (Malibu)

Guy Gardener: Warrior (DC)

the original run of Flare, Lady Arcane, and the League of Champions

Liberty Project-7 issues

Defintely! [i seem to recall 8 issues + a special, but let's not split hairs.]

Shadowline - Eclipse's attempt to do superheroes. Lots of interesting stuff going on - their lead character was a deceitful anti-hero pursuing his own agenda (Doctor Zero - he arranged for a missile attack on the G8 summit so he could fly in and stop it). Michael Devlin (St. George) was one of the better written religious characters in comics.

Shadowline was a Marvel line, wasn't it? But it was a different aproach to Supers.

I'll match your A-Next and raise you the Fantastic 5 (Again a MC2 title)

Primal Force from DC

Definitely.

I'll add:

Power Company (DC's short-lived Supers for Hire series)

One I thought was cut off far too early was X-Men: The Hidden Years, the title from a few years back that looked into the period between the first series' cancellation and the resurgence with GS#1/X-men #94. Kind of a fun book all around, killed for yet another "tie the X Universe together" that fell apart a few months later.

Ok, nostalgia time - Ghost Rider from Marvel, Not Dan Ketch or the other guy , the very first one , the Western hero. Turok son of Stone. The Mighty Crusaders . DC's Blue Beetle - Ted Kord.Tales to astonish with Giant Man , the Atom from the 60's not the Tiny barbarian swordsman. Oh yeah and most importantly the Champions comic book - I really enjoyed it at first especially Marksman.

As said before, DC's Impact line and Malibu's Ultraverse deserved better than they got.

Then again, I love the idea that underlied the "What If?" line of titles, but for a few exceptions, the line never really took off.

Some of mine have been mentioned:

Nova - Liked this series, liked the character in principle ever since.

Power Pack - Stopped reading this one before it apparently went dark (!?), but I liked the early run. Golden-Bronze in a good way.

New Mutants - Liked this from the start until the art went to hell.

Anything with Super Pets - Comics can be funny. Sometimes a few writers have even managed to tell Krypto stories that are actually touching. Easy to go wrong with this material as well, but there it is.

Captain Carot and his Amazing Zoo Crew - Again, funny can be good.

New Statesmen - The ending made no sense, and it was dark as hell, but there was a quality to it I enjoyed at the time. I've stollen and re-worked bits of it over the years.

Saint George - Loved the idea, stole and re-worked parts of it many times since.

I'll definitely second the Impact Comics comments. A real Silver Age feel, too bad it came at the start of the Modern Age

(which reminds me, I've got to finish those character write-ups...)

Old TMNT (before the TV series, toys, movies, etc)

Albedo Anthropomorphics (I wish Gallacci could have earned his keep on those)

Zaibatsu Tears (some really good cyberpunk, who cares if the characters were all talking animals?)

I'll second the Icon and Black Hood. :(

I love the concept of the Black Hood they did for that series. Would make for a great TV show. (for those who don't know, the Hood itself was magical, and would give the wearer extra abilities, etc. and influence them to varying degrees. Over the course of the series, several different "hosts" for the Hood, who all acted differently, etc.)

Shogun Warriors only lasted 25 issues, darn it. That was a fun series.

I'll second Elementals, though it sometimes suffered from Willingham's utter disdain for people who buy comics.

And the Elemental Sex Specials, of course.

..........What??:D