Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Firestorm is a third tier DC superhero. Popular during some runs, but not well known enough for most non-supers geeks to recognize him.

He was the red and yellow guy at playing cards with Green Lantern and Batman.

I think the joke was that if the name Firestorm does mean anything to you then it feels really funny calling the spell by that name. Kind of like naming an armor spell "Ironman" or a strength spell "the Hulk"

Cause a joke is always funnier when you explain it....

• 1 month later...

And' date=' they did make sure to mention that "[Y']es, the book contains a complete translation for all of Haley's cryptograms."

I'll have to pick it up. I need to pick up all the KOTD Bundles of Trouble too - I want to reread some of the early stories, without risking damage to my collection.

actually it misses the cryptograms for the last seven or so pages.

• 2 months later...

If you're not up on OOTS, catch up now, because just as it looked things were finally starting to go the Order's way (the Linear Guild beaten, Haley cured, Haley and Elan getting to know each other in the Biblical sense, etc.), a startling new plot development has struck, an old enemy has resurfaced madder and deadlier than ever, and the fecal matter has criticaled the electrical rotary cooling device.

And Zyklon is almost at the city gates too.

Miko cracked a while ago. Now' date=' she has fallen. Enjoy your new Alignment![/quote']

The question is what happens now. I vote for her getting put down like a rabid dog.

Besides, in a world with Raise Dead available, regicide is just a temporary thing. :king:

If you kill someone and then they are raised right away afterwards, is it still murder? :confused:

All I get right now is a time out msg. I can't get it to load.

I had to try a few times myself.

I'm interested in what comes next as well. Good take, but I suspect she can still slaughter Roy and the nephew if she chooses. OTOH, Roy finally has his sword back, which gets him the use of Weapon Focus and Specialization again, and that +5 bonus; in all their previous battles he had a non-magical wooden club. Belcar has beaten Miko 1 on 1, but only by running and sniping.

I figure Miko's gotta be pretty rattled. That loss of confidence will count for a lot. Also, if her sword just happens to be a Holy Avenger (she was the top paladin), it's now just a sword. I think the Order can take her.

I don't know about resurrecting Shojo. It happens in the strip, but feels wrong somehow. My guess is that there will be extenuating circumstances (like, no time before Xykon attacks).

Keith "Not sure if there even is a +5 Holy Avenger in edition 3.5" Curtis

I figure Miko's gotta be pretty rattled. That loss of confidence will count for a lot. Also' date=' if her sword just happens to be a Holy Avenger (she [i']was[/i] the top paladin), it's now just a sword. I think the Order can take her.

The Order, probably. Roy, Belkar and the nephew, only maybe. Rich might, otoh, have her regret her fall; dunno. He might also go the "So, even the gods betray me" route.

In the older versions of D&D a ressurection would result in the one raised being 1 level lower than they were at time of death. I haven't played D20 enough to know how the rules work now.

Here's the spell from the SRD:

Raise Dead

Conjuration (Healing)

Level: Clr 5

Components: V, S, M, DF

Casting Time: 1 minute

Range: Touch

Target: Dead creature touched

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: None; see text

Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than one day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.

Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The subject of the spell loses one level (or 1 Hit Die) when it is raised, just as if it had lost a level or a Hit Die to an energy-draining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can’t be raised). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means. A character who died with spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised, in addition to losing spells for losing a level. A spellcasting creature that doesn’t prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell, in addition to losing spell slots for losing a level.

A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. Normal poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. While the spell closes mortal wounds and repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole. Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life. None of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.

A creature who has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be raised by this spell. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be raised. The spell cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age.

Material Component

Diamonds worth a total of least 5,000 gp.

In the older versions of D&D a ressurection would result in the one raised being 1 level lower than they were at time of death. I haven't played D20 enough to know how the rules work now.

I believe 1st Ed. AD&D cost you one point of Con, not a level, for each resurrection. If it was a level, the number of times you could be brought back would be effectively infinite.

Keith "Hasn't played D&D since that edition" Curtis

Here's the spell from the SRD:

There is also a true ressurection spell that doesn't cost the raised person a level. It does cost 25k to cast the spell though.

I believe 1st Ed. AD&D cost you one point of Con, not a level, for each resurrection. If it was a level, the number of times you could be brought back would be effectively infinite.

Effectively yes, practically no. In our current 3.5 game, one of the characters died twice. Although we tore his poor soul from paradise twice, the player retired him because he was now two levels (and 10k or 15k in money) behind the entire party. Since we were at fairly low level, the level difference made quite an impact on his ability to keep up with the Joneses(sorry its a fantasy game, J'one'ses).

There is also a true ressurection spell that doesn't cost the raised person a level. It does cost 25k to cast the spell though.

Looks like it also costs a level, according to the SRD:

Resurrection

Conjuration (Healing)

Level: Clr 7

Casting Time: 10 minutes

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature.

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of prepared spells. However, the subject loses one level, or 2 points of Constitution if the subject was 1st level. (If this reduction would bring its Con to 0 or lower, it can’t be resurrected). This level loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. You cannot resurrect someone who has died of old age. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected.

Material Component

A sprinkle of holy water and diamonds worth a total of at least 10,000 gp.

I'll poke around. There might be a 9th level cleric spell that raises the dead without a level loss... :think:

I'll poke around. There might be a 9th level cleric spell that raises the dead without a level loss... :think:

Yeah, here it is:

True Resurrection

Conjuration (Healing)

Level: Clr 9

Casting Time: 10 minutes

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level. This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased’s time and place of birth or death is the most common method).

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of level (or Constitution points) or prepared spells.

You can revive someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can’t resurrect constructs or undead creatures.

Even true resurrection can’t restore to life a creature who has died of old age.

Material Component

A sprinkle of holy water and diamonds worth a total of at least 25,000 gp.