Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

DMG 3.5' date=' page 40. Story awards: covers giving out experience for noncombat encounters, as well as roleplaying (advising 50 xp per character level).[/quote']

A) It was a humorous jibe. :P

B) Haven't read that deeply in to 3.5...just don't care for level-based, class-based games.

Someone please tell me that they're going to Raise Roy....

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary in the playground

Giant is going to raise Roy. :)

The question for me is what will happen first. My bet is on the OOTS winning the battle, but Xyklon getting to the gate and doing whatever it is he plans to do. He won't release the Snarl, but he'll win this round, even if his army is slaughtered. He may or may not take Miko with him as he leaves. Roy will wander through the afterlife, argue with the ghost of his father, and eventually get raised to go after Xyklon again. Another interesting bit is whether or not some goblin cleric might get a chance at zombifying Roy's corpse, making it much harder to get him back.

• 1 month later...

Wow, not to resurrect a thread that seems dead, but this battle has not turned out the way that I (and apparently Oddhat above me) was expecting. I am eagerly anticipating tomorrow's strip.

Like Oddhat, I was expecting the good guys to win, however pyrrhic their victory may have been, but now it looks like we may not even get the pyrrhic victory. Roy is dead, the gate has been destroyed, many good guys have died, and there are still plenty of hobgoblins left. Hope still exists because the rest of the OotS are still alive, and the hobgoblins seem leaderless for now, though we don't know if Xykon and Redcloak took the hobgoblin army with them yet.

My kudos to Rich Burlew for giving us this incredible story.

Actually. I pretty much stick with my prediction on Roy being raised after an afterlife segment or two. I was surprised by the Hobgoblin victory; not sure how Rich is going to push them back out of the city, but without Xyklon or Redcloak they can't hold it. Maybe something as easy as Redcloak ordering them to the next gate?

Actually. I pretty much stick with my prediction on Roy being raised after an afterlife segment or two. I was surprised by the Hobgoblin victory; not sure how Rich is going to push them back out of the city' date=' but without Xyklon or Redcloak they can't hold it. Maybe something as easy as Redcloak ordering them to the next gate?[/quote']

Perhaps Roy and Miko will briefly meet in the afterlife.

Keith "Of course, they will have to fight" Curtis

Perhaps Roy and Miko will briefly meet in the afterlife.

Keith "Of course, they will have to fight" Curtis

HAHA! That would be awesome!

Especially if they meet in passing, Miko gloats about Roy's death "At least my greatest enemy preceded me into death", and then Roy says "Sorry, I can't talk right now. Durkon's resurrecting me."

HAHA! That would be awesome!

Especially if they meet in passing, Miko gloats about Roy's death "At least my greatest enemy preceded me into death", and then Roy says "Sorry, I can't talk right now. Durkon's resurrecting me."

That would indeed be funny. :)

I found this Monday's strip very thought-provoking.

Am I the only one disappointed by recent trends toward darkness in OotS? I miss the good old days when it was a light hearted and funny look at D&D, now it seems to be mixing with all sorts of deep and dark themes. Lots of death which used to be more rare, especially for major characters. I know that Roy will surely be back as soon as they can manage to raise him but still it is becoming a more depressing comic. I used to visit this comic for a little mindless entertainment, I have enough complicated themes going on in other stories and real life for me to want another one to follow.

It is kind of like the disaster that befell the comic book industry. There was the heyday that was the Golden and Silver age and then things started devolving until they reached the depths that they have currently sank to. I am not saying that OotS is in that bad a shape, I am just worried that it won't lighten back up anytime soon.

Yeah, I felt like there were way too many comics depicting the "struggle" of the bad guys. I don't want to cheer for them; I've been spending all comic cheering for the people who want to see their defeat! But all of a sudden, the good guys seem all useless and floundering, even when they did almost everything they could to be as effective as they knew how. If I were a PC in this campaign, I'd be pretty annoyed.

I have started to feel ill from the sheer slaughter. Still, that's what happens. I don't expect such to last at this level beyond, say... the siege. A siege is a nasty business, and it's perhaps proper that it SHOULD be harrowing.

My only problem with the current OotS storyline is that it's getting so the villains are more entertaining than the heroes. While villains are often more interesting, they still shouldn't be more important than the heroes. Seems like the Stick members are only showing up in about one out of five strips.

Here's hoping it'll go back to something more normal after the writer gets us through this "epic" story and back to something less grand.

I have started to feel ill from the sheer slaughter. Still' date=' that's what happens. I don't expect such to last at this level beyond, say... the siege. A siege is a nasty business, and it's perhaps proper that it SHOULD be harrowing.[/quote']

Anybody notice that they're just little stick figures in a cartoon?

Anybody notice that they're just little stick figures in a cartoon?

Yes, but it's very easy to forget that when their stories are so funny, involving, and, at times, harrowing as mentioned.

In the nearly 500-installment run of the strip, we've had some truly hilarious gaming satire. we've also had high drama, classical tragedy, great love stories, and a chilling portrayal of the insanity of war. All acted out by stick figures from a writer and artist who clearly knows what he is doing.

Rich Burlew is one of the artists who is proving what the webcomic can do as an art form, and he just keeps getting better.

• 2 months later...