Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Storn... you did draw the original version of the Dark Champions cover... and it ran on a Game Shop News cover... and in a Hero advertisement, I believe. It was very similar, and the final cover was basically a redo of your work. I've got that piece at home (a copy) I believe. I'll look for it, tonight.

Originally posted by Storn

Y'know, now that you mentioned it. I think I did get erroneious credit for Dark Champions... the cover was based on a drawing I did... but I did not do the cover.

Yup, right there in the credits.

"Cover Art: Frank Cirocco and Storn Cook"

Right next to a B&W of the Harbinger with your sig on it.

Tetsuyama, I did not do the cover to Dark Champions. A famous (but not so famous, that I remember his name) video game artist did it. He did a lot of console art for coin-op video games.

But thanks on the shoot-out at the piano. That was kind a visual in-joke for my good friend Rick, who plays piano. Shooting up a keyboard seemed like great fun at the time. What silly places ideas come from!?!?!?!

Wasn't it Frank Cirocco? The artist on Marvel's ALIEN LEGION?

Re: Rob Young's Kid Cobalt

...or is that Kobalt Kid? I can't remember the right way. Anyway, this is a private commission from Rob Young for one of his M&M characters. A slightly retro look and a more traditional color technique than the last grayscale experiment.

I really like that one. I love the use of color and the pose seems to project a sense of 'Fun' about the character.

I saw the guy with his spaceship over on the RPGnet forums earlier; I love it. It sort of suggested "Han Solo" to me, if only because of the shape of the ship. I also loved how it combined traditional and digital techniques to create something you couldn't really create with either alone (the water spots come from reality, the utterly smooth gradation that dominates the picture comes from the digital world. Great fusion of the two!)

I've been toying with doing a space opera campaign, though certainly not anytime recently. I think this one captures the feel of the genre very well. (Hell, it's my wallpaper right now.) Thanks for letting us all in on your sketches! I'm really digging it.

My first new champs character in SOME time!!!

Poor Neil, I used to pump out characters almost on a weekly basis. But I've calmed down in my middle age. But I got a chance to introduce a new character for this upcoming week. So here is Geist.

This character came from several different threads of thought. Neil's comments on magic on these boards. A tie-in with my GMing of a villain created by an event with Mentalla. The fact that I have never played a mentalist in RDU. The discussion between Eric and Neil and I about how mentalists are not frontline fighters, can de-rail plots and my own GMing of telepath character with frightening levels of Teep in SAS. And Eric's definitative Locke, the premier psi of RDU, who draws on the ambient psychic energy of everyone around him.

Quite a challenge to come up with a front line mentalist that was different. Giest was my ploy. He answers and draws power from the spirits of the dead. His attacks have no range... his defenses are decent for a beginning character to get in the middle of a tussle. And all of his plot-destroying powers? GM control limitation. Sure, he has clairsentience and telepathy... but only when the spirits deem it necessary to tell him.

So, here is Geist:

Name: Geist

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

20 EGO 20

18 PRE 8

12 COM 1

5 PD 2

5 ED 1

5 SPD 32

7 REC 0

40 END 0

30 STUN 0

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 12-, DEX: 13-, CON: 13-, INT: 13-, EGO: 13-, PER: 13-

Run: 6/7", Swim: 2", Jump: 3", Lift: 200kg

Cost Powers END/Roll

23 Force Field: Spirit field (20 PD/20 ED); Only in Hero ID: -º; Activation: 14-, -? (40) 4

56 Multipower (70-pt reserve); Only in Hero ID: -º (70)

u-2 5d6 Ego Attack: Ghost Touch; No Range: -?; Visible: -º (50) 5

u-3 4d6 Ego Attack: Spirit Explosion; Explosion (Extended Area +0"/DC): ?; Personal Immunity: +º; No Range: -?; Visible: -º (70) 7

u-2 +35 STR: Spirit Strength; Reduced END: Half, º (44) 1

---

5 Instant Change; Clothes: One Set, 5 (5)

10 Elemental Control: Possession (30-pt reserve); No Conscious Control: -2 (30)

a-11 Clairsentience (Normal Sight, Mental); See: Future and Past, +40; Dimensions: Current, +0; Range: 700"; Side Effects (6d6 automatic!): 60/All, -1 (75) 7

b-10 12d6 Telepathy (60) 6

c-7 12d6 Mind Control; Communication: Verbal, +0; Side Effects (Automatic!!! Both target and Dorian must follow the same command): 60/All, -1 (60) 6

8 5d6 Mind Scan; Attack Roll Bonus: 0; Extra Time: 1 min., -1?; Concentrate: Throughout & ? DCV, -? (25) 2

4 Mental Defense (14 pts); Ablative: -1; Activation: 14-, -? (10)

2 Running (+1", 7", NC: 14"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ?2, +0; Has Turn Mode: No, +0 (2) 1

Cost Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

5 Luck (1d6)

6 +3 level w/Single Attack: Spirit Touch (not that it is training, just that it is easy)

3 +1 level w/Strike, Grab, Haymaker

---

3 Bureaucratics 13-

2 Knowledge Skill: Occult 11-

3 Knowledge Skill: Intel Analyst 13-

2 English (Fluent Conv.); Literacy: Standard, 0

3 Systems Operation 13-

---

3 Perk; UNITE

150+ Disadvantages

5 Enraged: Ghost Possession, rape/murder victims seize him, if the victim knew the perp (11-, 14-); Circumstances: Uncommon, +5

20 Hunted: Dark, demonic forces that Hath No Name or are Legion (8-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ?1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 Hunted: A sorceress villianess to be determined. (8-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ?1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 In Love with GM's choice, but it will be irrational, passionate and strong...at the worst possible moment.... past life kinda thing perhaps? (Common, Strong)

5 Distinctive Features: Eerie aura. Cold fields at times, wind blows a lot around him; Concealability: Easily, 5; Reaction: Noticed and Recognizable, +0

5 Rivalry: Spellsword; Situation: Professional, 5; Position: Equal, +0; Rival: NPC, +0

10 Psych. Lim.: Sometimes cannot differentiate between ghosts and real people (Uncommon, Strong)

10 Psych. Lim.: Not confident, overly cautious (Common, Moderate)

10 Psych. Lim. Believes in UNTIL mission, loyal to UNTIL (Common, Moderate)

10 Public Identity: Dorian Amadeus Strauss

10 Susceptibility: Holy Ground (Unless Spirit Holy Ground) (1d6 STUN/Turn); Condition: Uncommon, +5

10 Generic Disadvantage : GM caveat (Uncommon, Strong); Situation: Uncommon, +5; Intensity: Strong, +5

10 Vulnerability: Magic effects, illusions, charms, you name it, if it ain't hurting, he'll fall for it. (1?? Effect); Attack: Common, +10

5 Watched: Ghosts, Spirits...they always want something! (11-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: None, +0; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Only Watching: ??; Punishment: Mild, -5

10 Watched: UNTIL (11-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Only Watching: ??; Punishment: Mild, -5

OCV: 6; DCV: 6; ECV: 7; Mental Def.: 14; Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

PD/rPD: 25/20; ED/rED: 25/20

COSTS: Char.: 125 Disad.: 150

Powers: + 173 Base: + 150

Total: = 298 Total: = 300

and Geist's pic

Originally posted by Stephen_H-G

I saw the guy with his spaceship over on the RPGnet forums earlier; I love it. It sort of suggested "Han Solo" to me, if only because of the shape of the ship. I also loved how it combined traditional and digital techniques to create something you couldn't really create with either alone (the water spots come from reality, the utterly smooth gradation that dominates the picture comes from the digital world. Great fusion of the two!)

I've been toying with doing a space opera campaign, though certainly not anytime recently. I think this one captures the feel of the genre very well. (Hell, it's my wallpaper right now.) Thanks for letting us all in on your sketches! I'm really digging it.

It is a star wars character, in a ship that is a sister class of the Falcoln. So all that was quite intentional.

But thanks Stephen, glad you liked it.

Re: My first new champs character in SOME time!!!

Quite a challenge to come up with a front line mentalist that was different. Giest was my ploy. He answers and draws power from the spirits of the dead. His attacks have no range... his defenses are decent for a beginning character to get in the middle of a tussle. And all of his plot-destroying powers? GM control limitation. Sure, he has clairsentience and telepathy... but only when the spirits deem it necessary to tell him.

Very cool. What's funny is in my campaign, I just got a new player whose character, Professor N, talks to the dead. and that's his basis for many of his powers. The funny thing was in my campaign guidelines I mention how mentalists may suffer persecution. (The other player helping him forgot this point. :) )

So far so good, I need to get last episode up on the web.

Originally posted by Starcorp Man

Hay Storn, do you think you'll ever do a picture of the Female Martial Artist with the Three Section Staff on the front of the Ninja Hero book? By herself that is?

If she ever gets a write-up in a published book, maybe. She has a full-length, head to toe, picture in UMA interior (sans 3 -sec staff). Or if I ever decided to play her myself... perhaps.

but I don't have any current plans to draw her.

Demon Star

This was a pencil drawing done at Saturday's gaming table. It is Eric's character, who hasn't had a ton of "air time' compared to his other characters. But he's a great character. I'll let Eric tell you about him.

Yes, I didn't ink it. The paper that I sketch on is not good enough quality to accept brush and/or quill... so this is another digital coloring over pencils. hey, I like the style. Your mileage may vary.

Re: Demon Star

This was a pencil drawing done at Saturday's gaming table. It is Eric's character, who hasn't had a ton of "air time' compared to his other characters. But he's a great character. I'll let Eric tell you about him.

Yes, I didn't ink it. The paper that I sketch on is not good enough quality to accept brush and/or quill... so this is another digital coloring over pencils. hey, I like the style. Your mileage may vary.

That's NUTS! I love that picture, second only to Cobalt Kid (or vice versa)

Just a note on the characters history... I made him up on the fly, as a "one shot" character for Eric to play. He's got an interesting history, tied into NPCs in my game.

Storn drew him PERFECTLY. I described him, and the picture came out EXACTLY like I'd always envisioned him. That is rare, but I love it when it happens. Too sweet, Storn.

:D

Eric has then taken him and run in making him a really interesting addition to the RDU.

Originally posted by RDU Neil

Just a note on the characters history... I made him up on the fly, as a "one shot" character for Eric to play. He's got an interesting history, tied into NPCs in my game.

Storn drew him PERFECTLY. I described him, and the picture came out EXACTLY like I'd always envisioned him. That is rare, but I love it when it happens. Too sweet, Storn.

:D

Eric has then taken him and run in making him a really interesting addition to the RDU.

So... give... What's the story on this guy?

I have to say it again. It's a great image. I love the pose. It really gives the impression of an alien martial art.

(A quick introduction- This is James. I'm another player in Neil's RDU campaign that has finally decided to pop in here and join the conversation.)

Originally posted by Nuadha

(A quick introduction- This is James. I'm another player in Neil's RDU campaign that has finally decided to pop in here and join the conversation.)

Hello James! Welcome to the jungle. Contrary to popular believe, we are only 3/4 as bad as most people say we are. :)

Originally posted by MisterVimes

So... give... What's the story on this guy?

Sheesh, give me some time to post... =)

The name Demon Star comes from the litteral translation of his species type's name. He is an offshoot of the Dazeurian race (Herculon (sp?) is the character's father); every few generations or so a Dazeurian is born with a somewhat different genetic pattern. This pattern creates the "Demon Star," an old racial warrior.

This particular character was born to a woman in Oklahoma, who, at the time, knew little of the father. He was just passing through, and all. Anyway, when Thomas (Demon Star's real name) was born, she was forced to keep him secret, as the small town never would have accepted such a creature in their midst (I'm from Oklahoma, so I know what I'm talking about...).

She filled him with images of heroes, knowing in her heart that he was a good boy, despite his outward appearance. When he was 13 or so, his father appeared, bearing gifts: the Dazeurian Battle Armour and Nova Web (the glowing gold thing on his wrist). He then explained some of where Thomas came from, and what he was.

Since then, Thomas has felt a physical pull towards space. He is an extremely bright lad, and delved into Astronomy and Astrophysics. His physical nature blossomed after that meeting, and he discovered that he has racial memories of his people that he can tap into from time to time. He fights with a style of combat totally alien to Earth, ingrained in his genetics to make him the perfect Dazeurian warrior.

The Nova Web allows him to fly and manipulate energy; specifically heat and light. It's an ancient alien artifact, so Thomas has only begun to tap into it's potential.

When he was around 18 or so, his mother contacted the Champions in Baltimore, and arranged for a meeting for Thomas. He was inducted into the rather small roster (the main characters having disappeared some time ago), and has been with them for about 2 years.

If she ever gets a write-up in a published book, maybe. She has a full-length, head to toe, picture in UMA interior (sans 3 -sec staff). Or if I ever decided to play her myself... perhaps.

but I don't have any current plans to draw her.

And in many corners of the world children cry...

Originally posted by BonHed

Sheesh, give me some time to post... =)

The name Demon Star comes from the litteral translation of his species type's name. He is an offshoot of the Dazeurian race (Herculon (sp?) is the character's father);

I thought those 'hexes; looked familiar!

Very cool... wanna share a write up so we can steal it?

*Rubs fingers together greedily*

Thanks Eric...

So... basically, when I created this character, I was in the midst of exploring the effect of alien races on earth's culture and metahuman population.

My main rift was to take all the "aliens" from Classic Enemies or other supplements, and make them more than the cookie cutter characters they were. All these Aliens, Hurculon, Thok, Quasar (from Serve & Protect), and others, were actually "Ambassadors" from the Confederation... an alien conglomeration/government that was watching Earth (for many reasons to complicated to go into here) and were waiting for the time to introduce themselves openly.

This has happened, and the UN has recognized these Ambassadors, and the Earth has found out that there is a wider universe out there to join. (Colonization, space travel, ambassadors to the stars, have all begun to take place, with the PCs leading the way, in many cases... my super hero world becoming a super science fiction world, really.)

Hurculon, being human looking, had long involved himself in human affairs, traveling the world, running businesses, etc., and Thomas "Demon Star's" mother was an affair he had. The fact that, born from that affair, was the legendary Dazeurian warrior they called the Demon Star, was a bit of a surprise. (Again, in the RDU, Hurculon's race is very human like, except for this revered "mutation" that appears every few generations.)

The best part of the character is that he is a very normal, friendly, respectful 19 year old... inside the seven foot tall alien mutate ultimate warrior body. It's a hoot to watch Eric play him.

Also, in our last game, Demon Star, for the first time, came into contact with an ancient, racial enemy, the Thanes or Arcane (see Alien Enemies) and went absolutely nutso berzerk without any clue as to why.

;)

The nice kid was shocked and horrified at his destructive and deadly behavior. (Normally he has a strong code vs. killing.) Further adventures, if and when we get to them, should be interesting.