The Speed Zone

shaunclinton

Question

Kudos on TUS, a great read from start to finish. I have a few questions about the speed zone section though.

1) We use the optional velocity damage rules presented in the HERO System were damage is based on your velocity/turn. How would you suggest reconciling this with characters performing move by/through, etc. in the Speed Zone? If I'm moving in the zone at the Attospeed level and perform a 20" Move-By then my velocity is several times the speed of light!

2) The effect of attacks made in the Speed Zone don't occur till I drop out of the zone (or occur so slowly it seems this way.) So if I perform a move through I presume that I take full damage (as to me the character seems to take no knockback) and as I am in the Speed Zone would I take the damage immediately?

3) Whilst a character in the zone moves at Speed Zone velocities; presumably uncontrolled movement still takes place at regular speeds. So if I was to drop off of a tall building or take some knockback would I be effectively frozen in place until normal time resumed?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries! They are a tad pedantic but they've been occupying my mind for a few days and it'd be nice to have some 'official' answers.

Shaun

2 answers to this question

Re: The Speed Zone

I'm going to need to beg your indulgence (and patience) for a few days. My copies of the book haven't arrived yet (since naturally Tina gives priority to distributors, retailers, and direct customers when doing the shipping). I'd prefer to be able to give you precise page references and to make any necessary annotations in my "working copy." As soon as my books arrive I'll stop back by this thread and post an answer. ;)

Re: The Speed Zone

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to answering you, shaunclinton -- demands of TUS and all that. ;)

1. While the text on USP 259-60 doesn’t specifically state this (as it should — my bad), as I think it implies the damage done by a character moving in the Speed Zone when attacking a normal target is the same as the damage he’d ordinarily do. He doesn’t get a massive damage bonus for Move Bys/Throughs because he’s moving so fast (though he could certainly buy that ability as a Limited HA, if the GM permits). If characters insist on dragging “realism” into the equation, I suggest you refer to the rules for MegaScale on 5ER 263 and point out that they, along with their targets, will be obliterated by the force of impact.

2. Yes, that’s correct. If Character A in the Speed Zone who performs an attack on a non-Speed Zone target, B, that causes Character A to take damage (such as a Move By/Through), Character A takes that damage immediately, not when he drops out of the Zone.

3. If a character in the Speed Zone is fighting another character in the Speed Zone, it’s easiest just to resolve Knockback, falls, etc. between them normally and not worry about what would “really” happen in that situation. That’ll just slow down the game. ;)