Genre-crossover nightmares

AdamLeisemann

Re: Genre-crossover nightmares

Got him for you.

And man, but is his idea ever scarily appropriate. It's stunning just how easily you could turn The Wizard of Oz from fantasy into a horror film, just by changing a few small things.

The Twilight Zone wasn't always horror. There were a lot of episodes that ended quite happily, if weirdly. There was that one where the guy found a bag that contained whatever a person wanted, and he went around giving people stuff, and at the end an elf in a sleigh picked him up for his new job. And that one where the old guy and his dog drowned while out hunting one night, and after refusing to go into Heaven because they wouldn't allow his dog in with him, he found the real Heaven and learned that that earlier gate was a ruse to lead people to Hell.

The Wizard of Oz could have gone unchanged into a Twilight Zone episode and would have fit in perfectly. Especially with the ending used by the movie.

"Dorothy Gale, a dreamer on a flight of fancy. But she found that emerald palaces and the adulation of the crowds pale in comparison to a simple farm house and the love of family...a lesson learned...in the Twilight Zone."

The Twilight Zone wasn't always horror. There were a lot of episodes that ended quite happily, if weirdly. There was that one where the guy found a bag that contained whatever a person wanted, and he went around giving people stuff, and at the end an elf in a sleigh picked him up for his new job. And that one where the old guy and his dog drowned while out hunting one night, and after refusing to go into Heaven because they wouldn't allow his dog in with him, he found the real Heaven and learned that that earlier gate was a ruse to lead people to Hell.

I remember the one with the old hillbilly and his dog. I thought it was touching and rather well done.

Though my all-time favorite TZ episode (in spite of the fact that it always wrings tears from me -- always) is the one where Burgess Meredith is a mousy little guy who just plain likes to read. Atomic war breaks out, and he finds himself in a library with all the books and time he could want -- and his glasses break, leaving him unable to read. :weep:

I remember the one with the old hillbilly and his dog. I thought it was touching and rather well done.

Though my all-time favorite TZ episode (in spite of the fact that it always wrings tears from me -- always) is the one where Burgess Meredith is a mousy little guy who just plain likes to read. Atomic war breaks out, and he finds himself in a library with all the books and time he could want -- and his glasses break, leaving him unable to read. :weep:

None of this should be a surprise. Rod Serling, before being a producer, was a brilliant writer of early TV dramas. One of his Emmys was for the boxing drama Requiem for a Heavyweight, a character study of a boxer at the end of his career and his rope who is reduced to pro wrestling to earn a living.

Serling was also an excellent judge of writing. Novelist and screenwriter Richard matheson worte several superb scripts for The Twilight Zone. mathen also wrote the novel I Am Legend and was a frequent collaborator with B-movie icon Roger Corman (most notably many of the Poe films, incluidng the fantasy comedy The Raven).

Got him for you.

And man, but is his idea ever scarily appropriate. It's stunning just how easily you could turn The Wizard of Oz from fantasy into a horror film, just by changing a few small things.

I might start by tossing the movie out and going back to the book. But then, I seem to be one of the few people who, on hearing the words "Wizard of Oz" thinks first of the book and only second of the movie.

Hm, then again, maybe some elements of the movie are more inherently horrifying...compare her arrival in Oz in the movie to her arrival in the book for example....

Maybe Baum should have tried writing horror. One of his ideas for an Oz book (I think the editors nixed it) involved animate vegetable people who grow living "meat" people in their gardens for food.....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that some flashbacks to the Tin Woodman's origin would certainly provide plenty of horror and gore

Elfquest: The Next Generation

Elfquest is still being published?

Ugh, Once I loved it, but then it began to turn into "uber kewl elves versus evil Nazi humans", the latter of whom made the Marvelverse mundanes look downright noble and virtuous. Which is even more ironic considering that the Pini's also used to do editorials in which they complained about the "nihilistic" view of humanity that Mavel Comics had.

Elfquest is still being published?

Ugh, Once I loved it, but then it began to turn into "uber kewl elves versus evil Nazi humans", the latter of whom made the Marvelverse mundanes look downright noble and virtuous. Which is even more ironic considering that the Pini's also used to do editorials in which they complained about the "nihilistic" view of humanity that Mavel Comics had.

Yes. And you can read a lot of it on-line now.