"I've made a few...modifications..."

Scarlet Drake

Hello Everyone -

I'm on the verge of starting my Terran Empire game and I'm planning on putting the PC's in the typical role of roguish scoundrels, running afoul of the often heavy-handed Imperial law. I'd like to add a modification or two to the standard ship I'm using so that it has a uniqueness for a player group, I'd prefer enhancements that make it a better ship to avoid the Imperial and to get away rather than giving uber-weaponry (although I do want some space battles).

Does anyone have suggestions of ship systems that they have already built that may be good for a game like I've described? Just looking for ideas that I have not thought of.

Thanks!

Dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Any dogma, primarily based on faith and emotionalism, is a dangerous weapon to use on others, since it is almost impossible to guarantee that the weapon will never be turned on the user.

--Isaac Asimov Foundation

Re: "I've made a few...modifications..."

ok, bear in mind I use a buncha house rules/traveller conversion items, so your mileage may vary

1. sensor decoys

2. configurable ID transponder

3. Chaff and Flare Pods

4. popup weapons mounts

5. shielded cargo hold

6. upgraded shields/armor

7. upgraded computer/fire control systems

8. chameleon hull surface

9. configurable hull panels

there are a whole plethora of things you can do, limited mainly by the available tech and your imagination

either post the basic ship sheet itself and let us play with it and see what evil ideas we can come up with, or tell us which ship from the books you are using

are you wanting more emphasis on stealth/being unobtrusive, or something closer to just plain brute force?

I have quite a collection of interesting gadgets I can play with, most of which arent incredibly powerful, but are quite useful, and not really outrageous tech compared with whats in the TE book already

Shadowcat -

Thanks for the offer, I'm using the TL10 merchant ship from the Spacer's Toolkit, I think it's the Ninitz class. (I know the spelling is wrong, but I'm at work and thus without my books) If you can suggest some changes that mid make a ship like that "cool" for a starting PC group without being overpowered, I'd welcome the ideas. I'm going for a game that will put stealth over direct conflict. I do want some space battles, but if they are dramatic because the PC's are hoping to avoid the giant Imperial crusier because they are woefully under-armed; I'd be happy for that sort of drama.

D

Here ya go, one modified and mildly tweeked Natchez class merchant

the zip file has the hero designer and plain text files as usual

I left the firepower the same, she does feature an upgraded manuever drive, a basic EW suite, and some other useful things, along with a basic fire control computer

Here's a few:

26     [b][i]Transponder Randomizer[/i][/b]: Radio Group and Detect: Transponder Code Images 1" radius, +/-8 to PER Rolls, Alterable Size, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (46 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll  (-1/2), IIF (-1/4) - END=4
18     [b][i]Nanite Systems Configuration[/i][/b]: Healing BODY 7d6, Can Heal Limbs (75 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Uncommon; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; -1 1/2), IIF Bulky (-3/4), Requires A Systems Operation Roll  (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) - END=7
25     [b][i]Sensor Mask[/i][/b]: Darkness to Radio Group 6" radius, Alterable Size, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Requires A Systems Operation Roll  (-1/2), IIF (-1/4) - END=3

[b]POWERS Cost: 69[/b]

I just want to thank everyone, and honorable mention goes out to shadowcat1313 for an excellent re-write of the standard merchant/smuggler ship that I hope my players will love this weekend for the launch (pun intended) of this game. I'll keep people posted. I apprecaite all the help.

Now if I can pose a related question to the assembled uber-minds; I've been thinking about the Variable Power Pool that is a standard part of the Terran Empire ship builds. :help:

My question is; do any of you have point builds of typical sensor configurations? I can certainly do them on the fly, but if anyone has already tried some things, I hate to re-invent the wheel (as "they" say).

Any suggestions will be great! :D

In my gaming universe, I dont allow sensor/commo VPP's at all

I use a multipower with the following sensors fitted

Radar

IR

UV

Laser Comm[Fitted as Mindlink]

Optical Telescopes

Computer enhanced Sensors

Military and Scout ships often add the following bought as detects

Densitometer

Neutrino Scanner

Neural Activity Sensor[bought as long range etc Mind Scan, detects signs of inteligent life only]

most merchants and other civilian ships have a basic package with a 3,000 km range... this can be done with a 45 pt multipower

I tend to run a more hard science approach to things, in that you have a fixed set of available sensors, you can adjust the amount of power you can apply to them and finetune some settings, but you cant just change what they do on a whim etc, I have never agreed with being able to change them as needed. you could add or remove sensors from the multipower by changing slots, but your engineering etc cant just pull a rabbit out of his nether regions and change your whole sensor array

but thats just my opinion etc, your mileage may vary

you could add or remove sensors from the multipower by changing slots' date=' but your engineering etc cant just pull a rabbit out of his nether regions and change your whole sensor array[/quote']

Speaking for the local Starship Engineer's Union, I object most strenuously.

#1 - We no longer store our tools in our "nether regions". Recent changes to our contracts ensure that we each have an adequate tool kit on our belts.

#2 - Rabbits are only used for engine modifications. Sensor arrays require hamsters and/or gerbils... occasionally, a field mouse.

and...

#3 - A really good engineer can do ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, at ANY TIME!

:cool:

UPF Engineer's Local #1369

*cough* Sorry, I graduated in Security, did my time, went to OCS, got my wings, and, well. There is a "Captain" in Lord Captain, and don't y'all forget it.

It really depends on the genre - I'm with Shadowcat, if you're doing hard sci-fi, or even gritty sci-fi, then you'll want to specifically define everything. Star Trek is rubbery I'm surprised any bank will take it, but they use the VPP model "Sir, the modulation cluster on the inter-phase array is down, I'm going to have to shunt power to the external LIDAR hub!" "Ah... whatever, make it so, dude."

Do you want the old Star Trek/Star Wars WW II feel (which I prefer) or are you going for a modern military? In a modern setting, you have all kinds of groovy toys to play with, as well:

- RADAR/LIDAR defeating plates

- Chaff/Flare/Decoys (mentioned)

- Counter Signals & Sequencers

- Big Engines

- Big Engines with NOX

- Big Engines with NOX and mines

- My ship is trailing mines! :D

And so on.