Thrilling Places!

Darren Watts

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Thrilling Places!

I've bought a copy even thought I am not running or playing Pulp Hero (I really wish I was though). It's a really cool resource. It includes several interesting locations in Hudson City so it's good background for Dark Champions as well as Pulp. Listen to Darren people, the book is worth it. :thumbup:

I'm just waiting for a payceck . . . your cool sale caused me to buy a buncha books from the bottom of my list instead of the top last month and that tapped me something good.

I'll be ordering it Friday along with (hopefully) Masterminds And Madmen.

Because I want to see the Pulp Line as big as the Champions line.

I bought the PDF on the first day it came out! It's as excellent as Masterminds and Madmen!! If you liked that book you will love this one.

I'll be sure to pick up a hardcopy of the book this week at my FLGS in hopes of keeping this line going...

Darren and Steve - does this mean the Pulp Hero line is in danger? :confused: Are the Pulp Resource Book and Lands of Mystery possibly up for cancelation? Please say it isn't so.:eek: Pulp Hero, Masterminds and Madmen, Thrilling Places, and the HPAs have been some of the best pulp rpg products ever produced and I (and I think many others) have been eagerly wanting more in this line of products. Certainly Lands of Mystery must not be canceled as it is a remake (with Aaron no less) of one of the best rpg supplements ever written!

mal

Well, we love Pulp too, and Pulp Hero itself sold pretty darn well. But so far, to be honest, the supplements have been a bit of a disappointment sales-wise (which is a double shame, because Rob did a fabulous job on both.) So be sure to go out and spread the word on how cool these books are, because we'd really love to do more of them! dw

Well' date=' we love Pulp too, and Pulp Hero itself sold pretty darn well. But so far, to be honest, the supplements have been a bit of a disappointment sales-wise (which is a double shame, because Rob did a fabulous job on both.) So be sure to go out and spread the word on how cool these books are, because we'd really love to do more of them! dw[/quote']

To be honest, I can't say I'm surprised that pulp supplements haven't been flying off the shelves. This development mirrors the course of the Star HERO line: genre book sells well, but the market for further products for the line is less than stellar (pun intended). And while there are some truly enthusiastic pulp gaming fans, it's even more of a niche market than sci-fi gaming.

Given that precedent, what did surprise me was that Hero Games appeared to commit to putting out so many supplements for Pulp HERO so fast.

I might consider Thrilling Places if I were more certain of what was involved in the various places. Are there maps that can be blown up and printed out for play on a tabletop level? Are there imaginative and interesting touches to the various locations, or are the maps marked with a lot of "storage" and "barracks" locations (you know what I mean). Are there cool traps and secret passages, objects that provide interesting color (as well as good cover and possible combat advantages for the pc's.)?

Is there a lot of history/background text about the places, or is the focus more on game-useful text that offers map keys and explanations about the physical aspects of the place?

I would be very interested in getting it if it was a real game-aid product rather than something designed mainly to provide background color and atmosphere.

Is there a lot of history/background text about the places, or is the focus more on game-useful text that offers map keys and explanations about the physical aspects of the place?

I would be very interested in getting it if it was a real game-aid product rather than something designed mainly to provide background color and atmosphere.

I hear you. a lot of what I have seen lately is TOO generic. It's like the companies are trying to hedge their bets by trying to appeal to everyone. but what you end up getting is less a supplement than a watered down version of information you could glean off the net. they just gather it, repackage it and try and sell it.

I received my copy of Thrilling Places last week, but hadn’t had a chance to actually read it until the last couple of days and it has really opened up my game.

In my opinion it is outstanding and exactly the type of adventure book I look for and rarely find. Each location contained the descriptive information in separate distinct sections clearly labeled. For example the “Grant Building” has the sections Description, Infrastructure, Layout (map key), Tenants (by floor). K’Hull Island has sections for Geography, Weather, Climate, Wildlife and so on. Each of the sections delivers all the info I need as a GM without a lot of useless word-fluff. Each location has a map which is detailed enough to be great for the GM without so much detail that it can’t be used for other purposes. I won’t have to remind anyone to ignore the computer on the desk which hadn’t been invented yet or that truck isn’t there. The next thing I like are the write-ups for creatures and NPC’s, package deals, equipment and so on that are not available elsewhere. Each of the locations could just be dropped into an existing game with very little to no prep. In fact the Pharaoh Club and the Royal Viridian Theater arrived at the best time to save me creating them for my new Pulp campaign I started last month. Since I am using Dr. Fang Shen from M&M as my hidden evil mastermind (yes I could have made my own, but time was short and he was perfect with only a couple of tweeks), the Street of the Emerald Bird was gold. In my Pulp game the PC’s are based out of HC, but the starter adventure has them in Hong Kong. When they return home and start using their information contacts, will be one of the Shop Keepers off of the SotEB. A double agent contact :sneaky:.

All in all TP is one of the more directly useful to my game supplements I’ve bought recently. Great book.

I received my copy of Thrilling Places last week, but hadn’t had a chance to actually read it until the last couple of days and it has really opened up my game.

In my opinion it is outstanding and exactly the type of adventure book I look for and rarely find. Each location contained the descriptive information in separate distinct sections clearly labeled. For example the “Grant Building” has the sections Description, Infrastructure, Layout (map key), Tenants (by floor). K’Hull Island has sections for Geography, Weather, Climate, Wildlife and so on. Each of the sections delivers all the info I need as a GM without a lot of useless word-fluff. Each location has a map which is detailed enough to be great for the GM without so much detail that it can’t be used for other purposes. I won’t have to remind anyone to ignore the computer on the desk which hadn’t been invented yet or that truck isn’t there. The next thing I like are the write-ups for creatures and NPC’s, package deals, equipment and so on that are not available elsewhere. Each of the locations could just be dropped into an existing game with very little to no prep. In fact the Pharaoh Club and the Royal Viridian Theater arrived at the best time to save me creating them for my new Pulp campaign I started last month. Since I am using Dr. Fang Shen from M&M as my hidden evil mastermind (yes I could have made my own, but time was short and he was perfect with only a couple of tweeks), the Street of the Emerald Bird was gold. In my Pulp game the PC’s are based out of HC, but the starter adventure has them in Hong Kong. When they return home and start using their information contacts, will be one of the Shop Keepers off of the SotEB. A double agent contact :sneaky:.

All in all TP is one of the more directly useful to my game supplements I’ve bought recently. Great book.

I appreciate hearing your detailed comments on the book. From what I can glean, it sounds like the focus is less on the maps and physical aspects of the places, and more on the background with NPC's and package deals, climate, etc. That is sort of what I expected. I'm not criticizing that approach, it certainly worked for you. But it's not of as much interest to me as something that would be a set of detailed floor plans, maps, etc with pulp-like flavor. There are many sorts of what I'm seeking for fantasy campaigns, (castles and manors and what not) but outside of a lighthouse island, I haven't found much available for pulp.

From what I can glean' date=' it sounds like the focus is less on the maps and physical aspects of the places, and more on the background with NPC's and package deals, climate, etc.[/quote']

Actually, there are very good maps of all the locations, ranging from larger scale maps (for K'hull Island) to room-by-room maps and descriptions for single locations (the Royal Viridian Theater, Schloss Eisenwolf, the Pharoah Club), as well as detailed descriptions (most room-by-room) of each location (the description of the PI's office in the Grant Building includes where his plants are). The NPC write-ups are relatively brief (stat blocks, some skills/disads, and a note about personality, motivation and so on). The sections for more "Hudson City-ish" locations don't include background on climate, etc., but do include some details making it easier to set a "real world" location into your pulp game. The more distant locales do have more information about climate, flora/fauna, population, and so on (since not everyone has been to Siberia, Bavaria, Greenland, or the South Pacific) as well as tidbits of information to help add color to your narration. (And trust me, the real-world information on these places is as accurate as research can make it. If I never hear another debate on the relative merits of WWI era Russian planes or how many miles of paved roads there were in Louisiana in 1930, it will be far too soon.)

While I am (understandably) somewhat biased in my opinion (the author is my husband), I think this is a well written and valuable source book. I've been gaming (both as a player and a GM) for almost thirty years, and it's one of the best I've ever seen.

Mary Ann

Actually, there are very good maps of all the locations, ranging from larger scale maps (for K'hull Island) to room-by-room maps and descriptions for single locations (the Royal Viridian Theater, Schloss Eisenwolf, the Pharoah Club), as well as detailed descriptions (most room-by-room) of each location (the description of the PI's office in the Grant Building includes where his plants are). The NPC write-ups are relatively brief (stat blocks, some skills/disads, and a note about personality, motivation and so on). The sections for more "Hudson City-ish" locations don't include background on climate, etc., but do include some details making it easier to set a "real world" location into your pulp game. The more distant locales do have more information about climate, flora/fauna, population, and so on (since not everyone has been to Siberia, Bavaria, Greenland, or the South Pacific) as well as tidbits of information to help add color to your narration. (And trust me, the real-world information on these places is as accurate as research can make it. If I never hear another debate on the relative merits of WWI era Russian planes or how many miles of paved roads there were in Louisiana in 1930, it will be far too soon.)

While I am (understandably) somewhat biased in my opinion (the author is my husband), I think this is a well written and valuable source book. I've been gaming (both as a player and a GM) for almost thirty years, and it's one of the best I've ever seen.

Mary Ann

Well, you make a persuasive case, and I probably will pick it up before long. I like to support HERO, but often I find that I have a somewhat different set of desires than the readers HERO targets. I have quite a few HERO books that sit on my shelf or hard drive and never find use in my campaigns ... or that provide me with one or two bits, but never justify the price I paid for them. Not that they are poorly done, they just don't fit my particular needs. Still, I like to support the company. It's just nice to occasionally get something that is really useful to me.

I very much want to start up a pulp campaign, but my little forays into the genre have me pretty much convinced that I need a faster, more steamlined system than HERO to really get the action-packed flavor of the pulps. I am looking at a couple of other systems right now, but I'm assuming that this book would work well with other systems.

I appreciate hearing your detailed comments on the book. From what I can glean' date=' it sounds like the focus is less on the maps and physical aspects of the places, and more on the background with NPC's and package deals, climate, etc. That is sort of what I expected. I'm not criticizing that approach, it certainly worked for you. But it's not of as much interest to me as something that would be a set of detailed floor plans, maps, etc with pulp-like flavor. There are many sorts of what I'm seeking for fantasy campaigns, (castles and manors and what not) but outside of a lighthouse island, I haven't found much available for pulp.[/quote']

I think I may have given you the wrong idea. TP does have detailed maps of the locations. I just like a map without useless widgets. I really hate a warehouse map that has a forklift drawn on it. If I want a forklift I'll add it or use something to represent it. If it is drawn in it cannot move, and if you are playing an era that predates forklifts the map just throws the game off. The included maps can be used for DC, Ch or PH equally, and the write-ups need little to no tweeks to change genre. Some of them actually cross right over to FH too.