The Iron Cricket!

Supreme

All right! Attached is the fruit of all the labor from the "Martial Arts Suggestions" thread. It's a very rough draft. I don't have the book with me, so I'm just guessing the cost of most of the talents (I don't usually buy talents). Feel free to set me straight on the various costs.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Have I told you lately how cool you are?:D

That's an awesome (or should I say Supreme) concepts. I like that a lot...

I notice you opted NOT to go with th 108,000 mile leap.

Yeah, just a touch outside human limits. Not that that kept me from buying some armor and other chi-assisted movement powers. But these are basic necessities for a 350pt character. I also realized that I left out rapid attack, and multiple attacks (two-handed fighting?, are these different?). He's got to be able to do the old Jackie Chan leap up and kick two people at once. I'm working on an image of Iron Cricket at home beating up two thugs at once. Watch for it.

Thanks for the Copious Compliments Supreme, Vimes. It's funny, this thread hasn't gotten much response, but the files have been downloaded dozens of times. I guess people are digging on the character sheet.

Originally posted by Supreme

Thanks for the Copious Compliments Supreme, Vimes. It's funny, this thread hasn't gotten much response, but the files have been downloaded dozens of times. I guess people are digging on the character sheet.

You never know what's going to attract attention. Maybe you should have titled the post: "George Bush is a poo poo head"

I must say that I am disappointed that you don't have the 6 ton Staff... very sad.:D

I agree that having the Compliant Iron Rod would be cool but you are obviously shooting for a more down to earth kind of guy. As to the kicking of multiple butts simultaneously, you can sweep with your legsweep or fast strike and keep a 7 OCV against two mooks and those generally fold after a firmly applied 7-8d attack hits them. Only question I have is what do you find weakness with? YOu only have it bought as the one maneuver one but you didn't specify that I noticed.

Nice design and I like the origin.

Originally posted by Superskrull

I agree that having the Compliant Iron Rod would be cool but you are obviously shooting for a more down to earth kind of guy. As to the kicking of multiple butts simultaneously, you can sweep with your legsweep or fast strike and keep a 7 OCV against two mooks and those generally fold after a firmly applied 7-8d attack hits them. Only question I have is what do you find weakness with? YOu only have it bought as the one maneuver one but you didn't specify that I noticed.

Nice design and I like the origin.

Ah, good point about the Find Weakness. I'd probably use it with the Fast Strike since the OCV so high. The character is still in his "rough draft" state. I'm going to "iron" him out some more over the weekend (I don't pun much, so enjoy when it happens ;) ) and finish up the promised sketch.

I had another thought/question having to do with martial arts. If I wanted to have Iron Cricket whip out the old martial arts weapons, aside from buying the appropriate familiarities, would I also have to buy maneuvers to use them, or could I use the weapons with my previously purchased maneuvers?

Ah, good point about the Find Weakness. I'd probably use it with the Fast Strike since the OCV so high. The character is still in his "rough draft" state. I'm going to "iron" him out some more over the weekend (I don't pun much, so enjoy when it happens ;) ) and finish up the promised sketch.

I had another thought/question having to do with martial arts. If I wanted to have Iron Cricket whip out the old martial arts weapons, aside from buying the appropriate familiarities, would I also have to buy maneuvers to use them, or could I use the weapons with my previously purchased maneuvers?

Well, if you bought the weapons yourself, no. Currently, you are able to use your powers with your martial arts without penalty. So, if Iron Cricket pulls out his collapsible staff (4D HA, IAF) and starts crackin' skulls, it's all good.

Assuming you whack a mook and pick up his nunchaku 'cause it'd be a cool and stylish thing to use for the remainder of the fight, then yeah, weapon elements & familiarities are needed. You have WF: Club for free.

Disturbingly, the implications of the Weapon Familiarity chart is that you need to spend a point to pick up a WF in Unarmed Combat, but that's crazy talk.

It's funny, this thread hasn't gotten much response, but the files have been downloaded dozens of times. I guess people are digging on the character sheet.

Actually, your Supreme-ness, it's the background of the character that I noticed first. I've always liked the "reluctant hero" bit. At the same time I needed a martial artist for an NPC team I'm putting together, and MAs have always given me the most trouble (the all come out too much alike). I thought that maybe I would "borrow" the 'Cricket (or maybe just parts). I promise to give full Supreme credit when he's introduced. :D :D

Originally posted by aylwin13

Actually, your Supreme-ness, it's the background of the character that I noticed first. I've always liked the "reluctant hero" bit. At the same time I needed a martial artist for an NPC team I'm putting together, and MAs have always given me the most trouble (the all come out too much alike). I thought that maybe I would "borrow" the 'Cricket (or maybe just parts). I promise to give full Supreme credit when he's introduced. :D :D

I am Honored Supreme. Yeah, one of the reasons why I haven't played too many martial artists before is because I couldn't come up with a personality and background I wanted to play. I prefer to play characters like Spider-Man who joke around a lot and act like little stand-up comedians on the battlefield. I had a hard time imagining someone who spent 10+ years training to become a super-hero doing that. Those kind of people tend to be really solemn and even socially awkward (and I've known people who devote their lives to becoming outrageously good martial artists, they're not fun to hang out with). This origin let me have my cake and eat it. I told the origin story to the Wife Supreme with whom my stories are usually met with supportive, but otherwise placid reception by virtue of the sheer volume. She laughed out loud.

Looks pretty good. The one thing I would notice is that he has both a relatively low speed and defenses, which may lead to spending a lot of time performing defensive maneuvers. I also like my MAs to have a few CSLs with their Martial Art of choice lying around, but that's more because I like to have lots of options in combat than anything else :).

Michael

Originally posted by Mavnn

Looks pretty good. The one thing I would notice is that he has both a relatively low speed and defenses, which may lead to spending a lot of time performing defensive maneuvers. I also like my MAs to have a few CSLs with their Martial Art of choice lying around, but that's more because I like to have lots of options in combat than anything else :).

Michael

Yeah, I know the Cricket has more than a few weaknesses. I took the relatively low defs and SPD because I really wanted to keep this character as close within "human limits" as possible. And we don't generally allow CSLs for beginning characters.

Cool, as long as your aware of these things they're not flaws so much as identifying characteristics. He also looks nice from the point of view that a small number of xp will make an immediate difference to the way he feels in play (buying a couple of CSLs for example), making you really feel that he *is* gaining experience rather than just 'getting more powerful'.

Or at least that's my mileage. Yours might vary :).

Michael