Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acroyear II

DCV Bonus from Martial Arts

My friends and I played Champions last night, and a question came up. For years we've played the system with the rule that DCV bonuses from Martial Manuvers only give the bonus to the character versus hand-to-hand opponents, not versus those attacking him at range. I don't know where we came up with this rule (a previous edition?), but we've played that way for years. However, in the new 5th Edtion rules we cannot find this rule anywere.

So do the DCV bonues from Martial Manuvers apply to both hand-to-hand attacks and ranged attacks against the character performing the manuver?

Thanks in advance,

Acroyear II

IIRC there's a question about this in the Rules FAQ, probably under "Combat Maneuvers" (I can't check my records because I'm away from home at Origins). I'll look into it when I get back and respond again; if I forget please ping me later on this week. ;)

Here's what the Rules FAQ has to say:

Q: Do the DCV modifiers gained from Combat or Martial Maneuvers apply only to HTH Combat, or against all attacks?

A: In most cases, like 3-point Combat Skill Levels for HTH attacks, they only apply against HTH attacks. However, Dodge or Martial Dodge bonuses apply against all attacks (as do any bonuses from any Martial Maneuver built using the Dodge basis). Furthermore, in the interest of simplicity and speed of play, many GMs ignore this rule and just let the DCV modifiers apply generally.