What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

I just finished viewing Dog Soldiers, a soldiers versus werewolves movie. I found it liked it at lot, parts made me laugh, parts made me shudder, and parts made me say "that's not right...." I highly recommend it.

I also watched The Wizard of Oz over the weekend, for the first time. Rather fun, with some highly enjoyable sequences -- the flying monkeys were great! -- and the musical numbers are catchy. I also found it amusing to sort of "count" all the lines that have remained in popular use.

What have you seen recently?

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I also watched The Wizard of Oz over the weekend' date=' for the first time. Rather fun, with some highly enjoyable sequences -- the flying monkeys were great! -- and the musical numbers are catchy. I also found it amusing to sort of "count" all the lines that have remained in popular use.[/quote']

I just have to ask how can you possibly be viewing this for the first time? I don't know why but I find that stunning.

Finally watched Aviator, after owning a copy for months. Cate Blanchett looked like she was having so much fun as Katherine Hepburn. DeCaprio was good in it too. Love that era, when airplanes were still amazing.

Saw Happy Feet and Pursuit of Happyness this weekend, would highly recommend both, for different reasons. Happy Feet is a fun family movie, some adventure, very clean, good for the smaller kids. Pursuit of Happyness is a more serious movie, very well done, good acting, good message (you are not guarantteed happiness, only that you can pursue it..., pick your dream and push for it). Enjoyed both.

Recently saw

Superman Returns - best superehero movie of the last decade.

MI3 - decent fun.

Davinci Code - enjoyed it - much better pacing than in the book, and it was a fun film.

I rented Doom and gave up about halfway through.

I am currently in the middle of marathoning through 24 season 5. Huge fan, and am completely loving it.

I just finished viewing Dog Soldiers, a soldiers versus werewolves movie. I found it liked it at lot, parts made me laugh, parts made me shudder, and parts made me say "that's not right...." I highly recommend it.

I also watched The Wizard of Oz over the weekend, for the first time. Rather fun, with some highly enjoyable sequences -- the flying monkeys were great! -- and the musical numbers are catchy. I also found it amusing to sort of "count" all the lines that have remained in popular use.

What have you seen recently?

So.... you gonna write up the flying monkeys or what? :sneaky:

Just re-watched Eiko Eiko Azaraku III, third in a series of live action Japanese Buffy the Vampire Slayer style films from the 1990s. Good series, makes Japanese High School life deeply creepy. The second and third films are a bit better than the first; the director had a lot more freedom once she proved the concept. The first had a slight soft-core element that was dropped from the rest of the series.

Not a movie' date=' but I caught the new Penn Gilette-hosted game show, Identity... pleasant way to waste a bit of time guessing who's who.[/quote']

So did I.

On the one hand, I believe it is wrong to make judgementa about people solely on apperances, which is what this show rewards the contestants for doing. On the other hand, Penn is entertaining. Might have to watch a few more times before I decide.

Almost all the episodes of Torchwood which are good.

The second half of the documentary series Planet Earth which has had some stunning visuals like a school of dophins (500 plus) going after fish while seabirds also divebomb the same fish from above.

Filmwise I saw Superman returns and Miami Vice on DVD. Miami Vice I found to be oddly soulless but impressive on the logistics.

I also saw the Straightheads trailer before it was taken down.

And I saw the Christmas special of Dr Who from last year with David Tennant's first appearance.

Caught two Christmas movies that I'd somehow managed to avoid over the past few years: Elf and Prancer. Both were very cute. Prancer was much more serious than I expected. While Will Ferrel sells the adult-child schtick extremely well, it's the little touches that sold Elf for me; Staying in the dept. store after hours just to decorate it better, his addiction to sugar (Love the four elf food-groups), and Bob Newhart as the elf who raised him is an excellent choice, while James Caan as his real dad is great contrast. Oh, and his gen-x girlfriend is cute as a button. Gotta go look up who she is now to see what else she's been in.

The second half of the documentary series Planet Earth which has had some stunning visuals like a school of dophins (500 plus) going after fish while seabirds also divebomb the same fish from above.

Is this from the same people who did Blue Planet?

Just saw Infernal Affairs II (Infernal Affairs was the movie recently remade as The Departed). Not as good as the original, which means it's only better than 90% of the movies out there.

Saw Nosferatu (original version) in the cinema with live musical accompaniment. Fun, in a slightly whacked sort of way. Murnau was an authentic genius, but my god! We've learned a few things about pacing a movie in the last 70 years.

cheers, Mark

On the plane I saw:

Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - much better than expected, but then I did see the second one

Dragon Tiger Gate - cool HK martial arts flick

A couple of episodes of Family Guy

In Malaysia I saw:

Previews for Curse of the Golden Flower (looks good) and Cicak Man (crazy Malaysian superhero flick - looks fun).

An odd and funny Indian soap opera

An episode of Alias

An episode of Smallville

Since getting back I have watched:

About 1/4 of the first season of House

The cricket.

I have also been sick so mostly I have been watching my own dreams as I try to throw this summer cold by sleeping.

Just saw Infernal Affairs II (Infernal Affairs was the movie recently remade as The Departed). Not as good as the original, which means it's only better than 90% of the movies out there.

Saw Nosferatu (original version) in the cinema with live musical accompaniment. Fun, in a slightly whacked sort of way. Murnau was an authentic genius, but my god! We've learned a few things about pacing a movie in the last 70 years.

Just watched both of these on DVD within the last few months. Great films. Followed Nosferatu with Shadow of the Vampire, which made an interesting double feature.

Planning on watching Jackie Chan's new Police Story while I work out today. Bad reviews, and it has been a long time since a Jackie Chan movie has impressed me much, but he's reliably entertaining, and the original Police Story films were good to excellent for their time.