What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Binge watched Season 7 of the Walking Dead. By now, most things I could mention should be public knowledge, but spoilering just in case.

Glen's death really robbed something from the show. I know we lost main sequence characters in the past, but Glen was one of the moral anchors of the show.

Was anybody really surprised by the scavenger faction turning on Rick and everybody? When Rick first recruited them, I knew from their motto ("We take") that they were going to be bad juju. It's really sad too, as it is dividing the morality in Walking Dead along black/white lines rather than shades of grey.

Negan, as played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, is one scary individual. Stopping just shy of going "over the top" in many scenes, JDM was able to ooze menace with the character. My main problem with Negan is that he seems to be a re-tread of the Governor. A little more crazy perhaps, but essentially the same character. That said, I know that the whole Saviors versus Good Guys war is set to take place in Season 8. I just really wished that Negan had bit the proverbial bullet in the finale. I don't feel excitement or anticipation going into Season 8. I just want the whole storyline to conclude. I think the whole thing is more poignant to me because Rick, in Season 6, didn't make the sound tactical decisions I have come to know from him. In fact, the whole introduction to Hilltop and such was so forced as to be fake. That led to more forced encounters and a string of generally bad decisions, which led to the encounter on the road. If Rick had acted more like Rick, then none of that would have happened.

More zombies are needed. One of the things that attracted me to the show is that the Walking Dead are a huge threat. Instead, the characters have hunkered down in far too many places (the Farm, the Prison, and now Alexandria), thus making the walkers barely more than background. In fact, there is an almost cavalier sense of jocularity when they go fight them now. The sense that they are a threat is completely gone. I know that the story cannot always be them on the road and that it makes both actual and literary sense to explore having some sort of colony, but the neutering of the walkers was a bad call. It will take some real plot gymnastics to try to reclaim that sense of teetering on the edge of survival. That's assuming that the Walking Dead keeps going.

Okay. That's pretty much my review and opinion on the show. There were a lot of little details like Carl becoming one of my favorite characters. Never much liked him as a rugrat, but I am liking the young man he is turning into. Ambivalent to anybody added to the roster since Season 6 or so (except the tiger). I'll probably watch Season 8 when it gets to Netflix. It will be tedious and painful, but I will want to see how the Savior War turns out. 

Over the weekend, we watched Me Before You, a 2016 romantic drama starring Emilia Clarke as a former waitress turned caregiver who is taking care of Sam Claflin's paraplegic millionaire character. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll just say it was a  good movie with surprising depth. Well worth watching for free on Amazon Prime (I think it's on Hulu, too).

The Hateful Eight - Post Civil War western set in a Montana waystation where eight people are trapped by an unexpected blizzard. Being a Quentin Tarrantino film, there are a few interesting twists along the way. Overall the movie was enjoyable, but probably just a touch too long. Also suffered from Tarrantino's tendency to wander off the plot sometimes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jane, the "profile documentary" about Jane Goodall, made using mostly archive footage from the 60s & 70s. Magnificent: visually beautiful, personal, touching, funny, occasionally heartwrenching, and even managed to be educational. Definitely catch this one on the big screen, unless you don't care about beautiful nature photography.

As an aside: I've always know Jane Goodall as this healthy but somewhat dowdy grey-haired woman. Who knew she was a Gwenyth Paltrow lookalike back in the day?

9 hours ago, bigdamnhero said:

Jane, the "profile documentary" about Jane Goodall, made using mostly archive footage from the 60s & 70s. Magnificent: visually beautiful, personal, touching, funny, occasionally heartwrenching, and even managed to be educational. Definitely catch this one on the big screen, unless you don't care about beautiful nature photography.

As an aside: I've always know Jane Goodall as this healthy but somewhat dowdy grey-haired woman. Who knew she was a Gwenyth Paltrow lookalike back in the day?

Larson03.jpg.f2aa23f12c79e19f12f0483e76c11be2.jpg

17 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Larson03.jpg.f2aa23f12c79e19f12f0483e76c11be2.jpg

Supposedly the Jane Goodall Institute got all pissed off about this cartoon & tried to sue Larson. Inappropriate and disrespectful and all that. Until someone showed the cartoon to Jane herself, and she thought it was funny and told them to drop it. 

(That wasn’t in the film; I just read about it.)

G-Men vs. The Black Dragon (1943)

A 15 part Republic Serial where American Agent Rex Bennett, British Agent Vivian Marsh, and Chinese Agent Chang Sung battle leader to the Japanese Black Dragon Society Oyama Haruchi and his minions in Southern California.

Rex Bennett returned in The Secret Service in Darkest Africa later that same year.

Chappie - A damaged police robot gets upgraded with an artificial consciousness program, but gets "raised" by gang members. It left me somewhat unsatisfied in the plot department, and parts of it felt a bit like a poor remake of the original Robocop, mixed with a Singularity fantasy. It is amazing what you can do with a stack of PlayStation 4s when they're hooked up to a battered Sony VAIO in this movie from Sony Pictures, though.

The Great War in Numbers. If you thought the Germans were evil in the Second World War, then you can see the roots in the First. What was done to make the Hindenburg line and using slave labour of Russian prisoners for example as well as being the first to start using gas attacks.

There is also the stupidity even on the last day when an American general launched an attack that got men killed just to get bathing facilities. The Germans were going to walk out after 11.. 

We watched the 1999 version of The Mummy last night. We hadn't watched it before, but after the reboot edition flopped (didn't see that either) a bunch of people said the 1999 one was worth watching. So, we gave it a try.

And, you know what? It was good!  Very good, even. Sure, there are oddities and plot holes, but overall it is a very fun movie. It moves right along, never gets boring, and is enjoyable throughout. There's plenty of humor and plenty of thrills, too. It's like a 20s adventure movie, a 40s adventure movie, and an 80s adventure movie were smooshed together to make one movie that hit all the best bits from each.

I'm so glad that I hadn't seen it before. :)

Shetland is a good series. I haven't watched it in a while, though. It isn't currently showing on PBS.

Jack Taylor is a good mystery series from Ireland.

Italy has made its own version of Nero Wolfe! In this series, the FBI was jealous of Wolfe and ran him out of the country (Seriously, WTF?). So Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin settle in Rome and continue solving mysteries there.

20 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Shetland is a good series. I haven't watched it in a while, though. It isn't currently showing on PBS.

I saw Shetland on PBS with an antenna. Luther and Dr Blake are also on. They ran Death in Paradise too but it's off the air.  Luther is pretty gritty and deals with psychological problemed villains, and a troubled hero. Dr. Blake is an Australian medical doctor in the fifties helping the local police solve crimes. Death in Paradise are fair play mysteries but the first two head inspectors were quirky as Columbo, the third guy isn't as quirky as his predecessors, but he's just as smart.

CES     

• 3 weeks later...

Saw COCO tonight. And as is seemingly typical for Pixar, enjoyed the movie, enjoyed the opening short (Olaf's frozen adventure). I will warn, that as is also typical of Pixar, your allergies will crop up in both the short and big time in the movie.

It's a little predictable, maybe a lot depending on person. The music is excellent, especially if you are a fan of spanish guitars.