What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Millionaire Playboy (1940) - Joe Penner plays a young business executive who hiccups whenever he's kissed by young women.  He's taken to a lakefront lodge and is told owner Linda Hays is in her 60s, while really being 22.

Linda Hayes was the mother of Cathy Lee Crosby.  Joe Penner died at the age of 36 after making only one more movie after this one.

Spiral Season 6 episodes 3 and 4.

Lawyer Karlson wakes up under a bridge and realises that she has been raped. She goes to the police eventually to get them to start a case but she is more interested in finding out who attacked her.

The police case against the Camera brothers stalls when they can't find gold ingots that the brothers are alleged to have stolen. They work out that a police informer took the ingots when the Camera brothers were arrested. They confront him and get him to return them but he ends up dead anyway.

Judge Roban believes that the main police prosecutor was the one who phoned the police and after he invites him to his office tries to take a cup to forensics people to get them to compare the prints. He falls and breaks it but the forensics people still get a print. The judge is persuaded to go to a doctor to get a scan to see what is wrong with him.

After the police work out that the Camera brothers are distributing illegal cigarettes from Turkey, lawyer Karlson believes she recognises another lawyer in cashpoint footage when she took money out on the night of her attack.

Spiral Episodes 5 and 6. The police investigation into a murdered colleague uncovers a link to a girl found dead on a building site. There is a battle over jurisdiction which the CID eventually win. The dead girl is found to have died following a Caeserean so where is the baby ? Josephine Karlsson is asked by her boss to help represent him at a meeting of the bar council as a former employee has accused him of inappropriate behaviour after he sacked her. Josephine finds one of her earrings inside his car and concludes he was the one who assaulted her.  After getting a deal with the former employee she takes her boss's car keys. The CID try to find a gypsy girl who knew the dead girl. After losing her at Gard Du Nord station they stake out the camp and find the dead police officers colleagues picking up underage girls who they take to a building under construction. They alert the police chief without tipping off his employees what they know. While waiting to talk to the Internal Affairs representative and the judge the police commander finds out that the IA rep is the guy the corrupt cops met. She alerts the judge and they covertly mislead the IA rep. The police raid the gypsy camp but it goes wrong as someone tells people who form a human barricade which the police force their way through. A mass punch up ensues.

One of the other police officers has a visit from his son who decides to go off with friends driving his father up the wall until he finds him. He then has to contend with his wife turning up to collect her son.

Sunday was a movie day for me, I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and La Boda de Valentina. The latter was a fun trifle set in Mexico with a mix of English and Spanish dialogue; the former rocketed to the top of my list of best movies in the past year. I'm hoping it gets the Best Picture Oscar, as well as Best Actress for Frances McDormand and Writing (Original Screenplay), and perhaps Best Supporting Actor for Woody Herrelson (words I never would have imagined myself putting together!).

Spiral episodes 7 and 8. Josephine Karlsson runs her boss down in his own car. He survives but is in a coma in hospital. The partners in the firm however let her go as they don't do criminal cases and the only reason she was there was because they believed the boss was sleeping with her. The police track their corrupt colleagues and find out they are linked to the Camera brothers. Their search for Maria does not yield any results although she is shielded by other of the gypsy girls. The police identify a man called Moldavan who they suspect is the pimp. This is confirmed to the audience by Maria's conversation with her friend. When the girls are picked up Maria escapes through a skylight.

The police believe they have identified a criminal ploy by the corrupt cops. They set up the gypsies to recon stores and then raid it as burglaries about a month later using professional equipment and the Camera brothers. The cops believe they know the next target and put it under surveillance. They also see their bent colleagues meeting with the Cameras who agree to do the next job. However the bent cops are happy with their treatment and telephone a warning to the police anonymously while the Cameras as trying to break open the safe. The CID are powerless to do anything as a patrol car chases off the brothers and shoots one dead.

Judge Roban has his biopsy and finds out he has cancer. Karlsson has now gone to work with Edelman and takes up the Bodin case because the judge has not closed it officially. This puts the judge on the spot and he has to bring in the prosecutor for official questioning.

X-Files season 11 episode 2. One of the Lone Gun Men dead for over a decade tries to contact Mulder and Scully and they are then almost killed by Russians. A profoundly disturbing idea surfaces and what will come of it. Very good.

Episode 1 of Altered Carbon.

I need to watch it again, with the CC turned on; too much of the dialogue is unintelligible (actors mumble a lot these days). It is interesting so far, though hardly groundbreaking in its recycling of old cyberpunk tropes, but I am not a big fan of the lead actor. I was vaguely aware of the whitewashing accusations thrown at this show going in, but didn't pay that much attention to all the noise. For me, it isn't about some lost opportunity to put an asian actor in the lead role, but just the fact that the asian actor who appears as Takeshi Kovacs in the opening sequence was so compelling and charismatic (to me anyway) that I really wished the story stuck with that "sleeve" for the whole thing.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:34 PM, GM Joe said:

We just started S2 of Unreal. Pretty good stuff, but I'm not sure this will live up to the first season.

We haven't started on S2 yet.  S1 was a guilty pleasure of mine.

We watched the first four episodes of The Alienist.  So far so good.  It's quite dark.

I'm also trying to regain my Geek Card by finally watching Babylon 5.  I'm two episodes shy of completing the first season.  The effects didn't age well, of course, but that's not a big deal.  It seems to be starting to find its groove, so I'll give it another season.  In that way it reminds me of ST:TNG, in that the first few episodes weren't all that great, but then it hit a stride.

Yeah, the biggest weakness of Babylon 5's first season, apart from the low fx budget and some of the acting, was that it had to spend that entire season just setting up everything that was to be paid off in the coming seasons. But I think you will be pleased if you stick with it, and especially impressed when you watch the two-part S3 episode War Without End (because of how it ties to a very particular episode in S1).