What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The Umbrella Academy.  A well executed, if dark and extremely strange, take on the teen-superhero genre.  Season One was slow and predictable, but character driven enough to keep it interesting.  Season Two was actually better, though I am not a fan of time travel as a plot device at all.

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

The Umbrella Academy.  A well executed, if dark and extremely strange, take on the teen-superhero genre.  Season One was slow and predictable, but character driven enough to keep it interesting.  Season Two was actually better, though I am not a fan of time travel as a plot device at all.

Time Travel.  When no one has any ideas for a plot or storyline and the contract has to be fulfilled in two days.

I really enjoyed S1.  I had never read the source material, so my opinion was totally based on the show.

I still haven't made it all the way through the first episode of S2.  It just doesn't hold my attention.

3 minutes ago, Spence said:

Time Travel.  When no one has any ideas for a plot or storyline and the contract has to be fulfilled in two days.

I really enjoyed S1.  I had never read the source material, so my opinion was totally based on the show.

I still haven't made it all the way through the first episode of S2.  It just doesn't hold my attention.

There's source material?  :D

I thought S2 was better than S1 also.  I just enjoyed the fact that the siblings seemed to be coming closer as a family.  I have several critiques and suggestions, but that would be better done in a separate Umbrella Academy thread or such.

When time travel is the McGuffin - as it is in Umbrella Academy - I generally don't mind.  When time travel is the deus ex machina, I'm usually left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Taxi Driver.  Never got around to seeing this so when it came up on Netflix I made a point of doing so.  It's amazing how Scorsese was able to make a film about an incel militia wannabe 44 years before it was "cool".  It wasn't dated at all--in fact it might be more relevant today than it was when it was made.  Worth the wait.

Tour de France 2020 No Froome and no Thomas, how would Ineos cope ? By bringing in Richard Carapaz to help Egan Bernal. It did not help as Jumbo Visma dominated with Primoz Roglic looking a cert for victory until the very penultimate stage when Tadej Pogacar beat him on the time trial and took the ein into Paris. It was a tad subdued at times without major crowds but it still had incident and all the joyous countryside you could want. What was interesting was seeing Peter Sagan sidelined. After dominating the sprint classification since 2012 with one year off when he was disqualified he was upstaged by a former team mate who went to another team to take him on. And that person was Sam Bennett.

Van Der Valk season 3. This was different as no Michael Latimer who was Barry Foster's trusty sidekick for the first two seasons. But still in Amsterdam and made in 1977. This was the last regular one hour version before it was done as specials from then on.

Darling Lilli This is a Julie Andrews and Rock Hudson musical although only Julie sings. She plays a spy trying to get information from Hudson's American pilot major in France in the latter stages of WW1. The film has some really good WW1 fighter action and can be seen for that and that alone.

Springtime in the Sierras Roy Rogers and Trigger try to stop out of season hunting.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Sequel to the Kingsman film where the American version, the Statesmen are introduced. Julianne Moore is the villain this time around who has poisoned the drugs supply but is willing to give an antidote for the right price. Eggsy is on his own after all the other Kingsman agents are wiped out by missiles and teams up with Statemen to stop The Golden Circle. Means a lot more if you have seen the Kingsman film.

Warp Speed A dated early 80s sci fi film in which a spaceship is investigated by a psychic after the crew have all vanished. Turns out that after a problem they had to find a way home by getting rid of any extraneous weight. This has Adam West as the captain. And if you want to see an argument for not having a holo-deck this has it.

I forgot to mention this one earlier so

Special Branch season 4. This was the last season of the police series looking at the specific unit of the British police looking at terrorism etc. George Sewell and Patrick Mower are joined by Paul Eddington playing Security and deliberately complicating things much the same way that Morris Perry did in the first two seasons of Special Branch. Most of season 3 and 4 was filmed and out of the studio unlike the first two seasons. If you liked season 3, you'd like season 4.

Van Der Valk season 4. This was 4 separate stories each of about two hours each and again Barry Foster is on his own. This was made 15 years after season 3 and is still in Amsterdam. The first story is probably the best where people are killed along the lines of the stories in Shockheaded Peter. Van Der Valk is different as he has wife who he loves and he has children, one of whom is now a police officer.

G I Blues This 1960 Elvis Presley film was made to capitalise on Elvis's service in the army. It involves a bet by his army buddies about getting a dancer (Juliet Prowse) to spend the night with one of them and after the number one choice is relocated, the others ask Elvis to step in. Not bad.

Armchair Theatre Red Riding Hood This updating of the story is more than a little bit odd and has Rita Tushingham as the Wolf and Hood analogues. It is dreamlike and there are repeated refrains of Peter and the Wolf.

Fun in Acapulco This 1963 Elvis film comes just before Beatlemania. It has Ursula Andress and plenty of Elvis singing. It passes the time.

Giro D'Italia 2020 highlights Finally achieved an ambition I have been nursing for a couple of years to catch the highlights or coverage of the race from day one. Covid almost blew this out of the water. The favourites were taken out of this in a number of ways, some expected some not. Geraint Thomas of Ineos went out following a crash which broke his pelvis. Simon Yates went out with Covid. The race was led for the majority by a young Portuguese rider called Joao Almeida. Thomas absence gave Ineos free rein and they grasped it with a vengeance. They ended up winning 7 stages and all three time trials which were all won by the same rider who also won a road stage. One of the riders who sacrificed himself earlier on to help Thomas was the eventual winner who had to come from about 126th place to no 1. This was British rider Tao Geoghegan Hart. The race also featured a few racers who had been in the Tour de France like Peter Sagan who won his first race or stage in 15 months. It was a close run thing as at the end of stage 20 two riders were on the same time but the race was eventually won by 39 seconds which in Grand Tour terms is close.

A Sean Connery double-feature...

The Untouchables, Sean Connery doesn't always ping, but when he does, it's with one ping only.

The Hunt for Red October, Sean Connery teaches us that when they pull a knife, we pull a gun. When they throw rock, we throw paper. When they throw paper, we throw scissors. When they throw scissors, we throw rock.

2 hours ago, mattingly said:

The Hunt for Red October, Sean Connery teaches us that when they pull a knife, we pull a gun. When they throw rock, we throw paper. When they throw paper, we throw scissors. When they throw scissors, we throw rock.

I'm kind of disappointed that Jack Ryan's bad back was dropped from the future (and prequel) films. Without it he is a generic action "hero" (that depends, of course, on how you felt about Tom Clancy's politics). Harrison Ford was a heroes figure, but he wasn't nearly as interesting without the battle against his flaws.

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I'm kind of disappointed that Jack Ryan's bad back was dropped from the future (and prequel) films. Without it he is a generic action "hero" (that depends, of course, on how you felt about Tom Clancy's politics). Harrison Ford was a heroes figure, but he wasn't nearly as interesting without the battle against his flaws.

And as much as I love Harrison Ford, I thought Baldwin made the better Jack Ryan.

The Little Mermaid: One of two election night watches for me, and I believe that it's the first time that I've ever watched it. The movie's enjoyable, but not quite as polished as I expected. (Disney+)

Beauty and the Beast: This arrived in my mail yesterday, and is actually one of my favorite animated films. It looks amazing in 4K, and the Atmos sound mix was awesome. (4K UHD)

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Nicholas Cage plays Nicholas Cage as an ancient wizard looking for Merlin's successor. I liked it, but then again, I enjoyed the Ghost Rider films. (Disney+)

5 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Nicholas Cage plays Nicholas Cage as an ancient wizard looking for Merlin's successor. I liked it, but then again, I enjoyed the Ghost Rider films. (Disney+)

The apprentice was also the apprentice monk in Fifth Element.