"Gun Fu" Power idea

nexus

Surpression Fire: The character can use his guns so rapidly and so well, he can make it difficult for his opponent to risk getting a bead on his firefight, forcing them evade and take cover and take snap shots instead of aiming accurately

+x DCV levels vs Ranged Attacks FOCUS: Firearm (either OAF or OIF) takes x charges per phase to maintain (limitation level varies according to number of charges used)

Thoughts?

Re: "Gun Fu" Power idea

Surpression Fire: The character can use his guns so rapidly and so well, he can make it difficult for his opponent to risk getting a bead on his firefight, forcing them evade and take cover and take snap shots instead of aiming accurately

+x DCV levels vs Ranged Attacks FOCUS: Firearm (either OAF or OIF) takes x charges per phase to maintain (limitation level varies according to number of charges used)

Thoughts?

I would want this sort of thing to be useful for the group, not just myself as a defensive measure. AOE or ranged PSL's?

Negative Skill levels could work I think.

It helped that I was contemplating a very similar build recently.

Also, the solution possesses elegance in that it matches the SFX so well: +xDCV would be making your own dodges easier, but your description called for making your opponents' firing difficult.

Bullets Falling Like Water:
Change Environment 1" radius, -3 OCV (15 Active Points); OAF (Automatic Weapon; -1), Linked (Automatic Weapon; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Cost 5.

Not all that expensive, really. Of course, that's only for one hex. (Love the name, Robyn!)

Requiring the automatic weapon to be used at "full power" handles the "how many charges" question.

Isn't this just a type of Presence Attack?

How does a character using high rate of accurate fire cause the target's OCV to decrease if not from fear?

Pre attacks don't reduce OCV barring GM's discretion.The target might not fire back if you roll high enough, but the effect generally involves them taking hasty pot shots instead of accurate ones. They are also based on the charaacter's Pre which may or may not be appropriate, suffer a penalty in Combat and are reduced in effectiveness over time. Also a character that is not nessecarily afraid might think it wise to be cautious if facing a fire good gun man firing at them with insane speed.

Basically, its a mean to model a very cinematic ability as a "Super Skill".

How does a character using high rate of accurate fire cause the target's OCV to decrease if not from fear?

I'm not sure the fire is "accurate", necessarily (though that would be appropriate if the AOE were only 1 hex), it strikes me as more of a large number of bullets going all over the place. When even you aren't sure where the bullets are going to go next (you're concentrating more on firing lots of them), how can they have any idea?

The idea is that they can't step into view and take the time to aim, without risking that a bullet will hit them. So, when they hear the sounds away from them, they pop up and let off a quick shot, then duck back down before the gunfire can go back towards the open target.

Bullets Falling Like Water:
Change Environment 1" radius' date=' -3 OCV (15 Active Points); OAF (Automatic Weapon; -1), Linked (Automatic Weapon; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Cost 5.[/indent']Not all
that
expensive, really.

I was thinking of a DEX-penalties CE (as you said), not OCV directly.

(Love the name' date=' Robyn!)[/quote']

Thanks! I freely admit I posted that reply solely to showcase the cool name I'd thought up
:D

Pre attacks don't reduce OCV barring GM's discretion.The target might not fire back if you roll high enough, but the effect generally involves them taking hasty pot shots instead of accurate ones. They are also based on the charaacter's Pre which may or may not be appropriate, suffer a penalty in Combat and are reduced in effectiveness over time. Also a character that is not nessecarily afraid might think it wise to be cautious if facing a fire good gun man firing at them with insane speed.

Basically, its a mean to model a very cinematic ability as a "Super Skill".

But would this work against targets wearing cutting-edge head2toe bulletproof armor?

More to the point, this doesn't sound like a superskill. It sounds more like a situational tactic usable by anyone. The tactic itself is not going to work in every situation which is not reflected in the proposed build.

I'm not sure the fire is "accurate"' date=' necessarily (though that would be appropriate if the AOE were only 1 hex), it strikes me as more of a large number of bullets going all over the place. When even [i']you[/i] aren't sure where the bullets are going to go next (you're concentrating more on firing lots of them), how can they have any idea?

The idea is that they can't step into view and take the time to aim, without risking that a bullet will hit them. So, when they hear the sounds away from them, they pop up and let off a quick shot, then duck back down before the gunfire can go back towards the open target.

Well, that sounds a lot like fear to me.

Seems like a lot of work going into re-creating several existing mechanics (PRE Attacks + Blazing Away + Snap Shot)

But would this work against targets wearing cutting-edge head2toe bulletproof armor?

Considering this a Talent for Dark Champions being completely and utterly bulletproof (which thanks to the Stun Lotto is hard in regularl Champions) is unlikely but if it does come up the GM is within his rights to say it doesn't work.

More to the point, this doesn't sound like a superskill. It sounds more like a situational tactic usable by anyone. The tactic itself is not going to work in every situation which is not reflected in the proposed build.

Its going to work in most situations in games where its going to come up: Street Level Heroes and Action movie type scenarios where "Gun Fu" is common. For the chararacter with it, it would be a common tactics and for the reason I pointed out, Pre attack doesn't particularly cut it. Like all Superskills these builds are just a means of getting a more consistent or improved effect over a base mechanic. Super Stealth brought as Invisibility rather than as an obscenely high skill roll, for example.

There are already builds that aren't going to work in every situation, but will most of the time. In the unlikely chance that someone completely invulnerable and completely without fear is attacking you, the GM can say it doesn't work but given that's going to be rare in the type game you'd use this in its a -0 special effects limitation. If such situations are more likely in a particular campaign then this build might get a limitation for it.

Well' date=' that sounds a lot like fear to me.[/quote']

Fear-panic or rationality?

Fearlessness does not equal unthinking recklessness; just because your character isn't afraid of being shot, doesn't mean he'll step right out and let everyone empty their clips into him.

On the other hand, fear may be fear, regardless of whether or not your character experiences an emotional reaction to it.

There are already builds that aren't going to work in every situation' date=' but will most of the time. In the unlikely chance that someone completely invulnerable and completely without fear is attacking you, the GM can say it doesn't work but given that's going to be rare in the type game you'd use this in its a -0 special effects limitation.[/quote']

Interesting :think:

I was thinking of a DEX-penalties CE (as you said)' date=' not OCV directly.[/quote']

Either way would work, of course. I was just thinking that suppression fire of this type shouldn't necessarily lower the target's DCV, given that the sfx is to make the target stay behind cover.

Either way would work' date=' of course. I was just thinking that suppression fire of this type shouldn't necessarily lower the target's [u']D[/u]CV, given that the sfx is to make the target stay behind cover.

So would it bother any of you as a player to have this type of ability used by an NPC against your character (that is, your OCV is lowered automatically, no choice allowed)?

So would it bother any of you as a player to have this type of ability used by an NPC against your character (that is' date=' your OCV is lowered automatically, no choice allowed)?[/quote']

I can't speak for everyone but personally? No more so than any other type of Drain/penalty imposing effect. Its the NPC's power or for that matter being effect by an NPC's presence attack which would make potentially make my character cower and not do anything at all. Its only going to make the NPC run out of bullets faster with no chance to actually hit me from a metagame standpoint. I can still attack them and have a chance to injure them.

And my initiat suggestion was that increased the target's DCV anyway.

So would it bother any of you as a player to have this type of ability used by an NPC against your character (that is' date=' your OCV is lowered automatically, no choice allowed)?[/quote']

As long as it wasn't abused and made for a good story? No problem. Why would it bother me more than any other CE/Drain/Suppress/whatever?

But how many Dark Champion campaigns use CE/Drain/Suppress at all?

Depends on if the campaign using powers which if you're GM is allowing you to buy something like this then it probably is. Knockout drugs are often built as Stun Drains or a White Noise generator can be CE with a minus to hearing perception for bugs, for instance.

But how many Dark Champion campaigns use CE/Drain/Suppress at all?

Ah, I see your point now, thanks for the clarification H-M.

So say I've never had a CE or adjustment power used against me before, and now all of a sudden I'm told I've got a -3 OCV "no choice allowed"? Okay, I can see where that might raise an eyebrow, just because it's a mechanic I haven't seen before. But even so: beats getting shot. I mean, you don't get a "choice" about taking damage, right? ;)

Out of curiosity: are you saying you would have a problem if your PC was on the receiving end of this? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

Ah, I see your point now, thanks for the clarification H-M.

So say I've never had a CE or adjustment power used against me before, and now all of a sudden I'm told I've got a -3 OCV "no choice allowed"? Okay, I can see where that might raise an eyebrow, just because it's a mechanic I haven't seen before. But even so: beats getting shot. I mean, you don't get a "choice" about taking damage, right? ;)

Out of curiosity: are you saying you would have a problem if your PC was on the receiving end of this? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

Well a little bit of both,

Sending a hail of bullets to keep the enemy's heads down is first and foremost an intimidation tactic (a very classic one at that).

If my character were on the receiving end of it I would attempt to:

a) Determine the # of weapons being fired.

B) Determine how accurately (how near my position) they are being fired.

If the answers are:

a) a low #

B) not very

Then why should my OCV be reduced if I want to return fire and possibly use the same tactic against them with possibly more accurate fire?

Using a adjustment mechanic in a setting where virtually no one has power defense to replace a Presense based mechanic (where everyone has PRE) just doesn't make sense to me.

Its not a "realistic" effect, nor is it intended to be. Its meant to replicate a cinematic ability. You could say similar things about any Super Skill construct. One of the suggested ways to model it is Change Enviorment which isn't a Power defense affect.

Would you have a problem with same exact special effect modelled as limited DCV levels or is it just the entire special effect doesn't appeal to asthetically?