HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

Thia Halmades

Re: HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

As an aside to more amusing discussion on LOLCats and being a bassist;

I've updated the Scarab. You don't need to re DL it, unless you want to, just go into the END Reserve, go the Recovery, add the limitation "OIF Bulky" to it, and you're good to go. I have to do this to all Covenant vehicles, I assume. I'll do it tonight or tomorrow. So that change needs made across the board, FYI.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not light equipment. This is heavy hitting stuff. I still ultimately resent the lack of a dedicated vehicle system, as I've said before. there are so many little details (mass, displacement, vehicle dedicated armor, and so on) that HERO just doesn't do in its toolbox design and I can't get my head around how to model it. Drives me nuts.

So. I have to do them this way; which is good, I mean the point is definitely getting across, but I would prefer a more robust vehicle design system.

I appreciated that. Odds are I'm going to go through the entire set and revise it here in a bit once I've gotten enough of the core material done to do a '2nd edition.' There's still a ton of stuff I need to do. There are still vehicles that need done, and I really need to work out my ship to ship mechanics. But all projects must begin somewhere. This one is just taking longer than I thought, but I seriously enjoy it (and of course, the hopes that y'all will use it is just as important).

i know i do, however, i'm personally not that interested in the ship to ship stuff, as i see HALO mostly being about the marines, not the naval officers. most ship to ship stuff will probably be on gm option kinda stuff and all in the background. for me, personally, of course.

Oh, I think you're absolutely correct in that position. However, I'm obsessive, so I want to make sure that everything is:

a) included, and that includes the bad boy yard ships

B) balanced, so if people want to take the story into a full blown soft-SF space opera, they can

Even if they're only done so people can stare at them and go "Wow, that's a big ship right there that is" and the GM wants it just for reference, I'm okay with that. The Pillar of Autumn was really far more useful as a MAP than it was as a combat vehicle. But you get the idea; what I'm really looking to do is make sure that instead of shoe-horning people who may use the material into only going into the traditional role of playing a Spartan or marine, they can tell stories with these massive capital ships, play a Longsword pilot, and so on. I really wanted to give everyone all the possible options.

NO! GOOD HEAVENS! PLEASE!

RUN!

THAT!

GAME!

Let me know what's missing, what works, what you like, what you don't. I'll even throw together a few other racial packages for you. :D Please, run that game. Post about it. Invite your friends, test my material, tell me how it works!

You need Elite armor, don't you?

Thia, what resources are you using for this? The books, online research etc, the games of course.

What HERO books/resources are you using? Do you think there are any additional books, etc, that you lack (but I might have) that would be useful? I'm trying to find a way to contribute, and my library has grown quite nicely...

I have the first three novels (The Fall of Reach, the Flood, whatever the third one is); my primary resource is the Halo Wiki, and while it isn't the MOST reliable, I've never had need to quibble with it. Once i get done my packages (which I haven't worked on this weekend, I totally slacked off) and design the flood, I'm going to move onto to a "true update" of the equipment list.

I also have Episode One of HALO: Uprising, the Halo Graphic Novel & the Art of Halo; I don't know of any other resources, beyond the extra two books (including Ghosts of Onyx).

I know that among other things, I want to move the Plasma Rifle to an 8d6 EB, v. an RKA, since EB definitely seems more accurate to me.

I saw something that confirmed what I've recently come to suspect-

The Chopper has two large wheels at the front that essentially drags it along at high speeds, while the rear is supported by an anti-grav unit (or repulsor, or whatever).

HALO 3 TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I believe that's reflected in my build. I have now played the H3 multi-player. I'll be revising all my weapons lists soon as well (to H:CE 2.0). I know a LOT of the changes I want to make now.

This project is, as I've said before, bigger than I thought. :P

i am currently less than thrilled with Halo 3, at the moment (only on 2nd level) but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. i'm going to slog through it, and see if i feel differently about it then, but right now its my least favorite of the 3, and i'd go so far as to say i don't like it. i think its just the complete difference between 3 and those before it, especially the look and even the gameplay. even the weapons don't feel right. i dunno, but i kept away from the hype, and maybe now i'm just feeling the game for what it really is instead of the super hype going into 1 and 2.

i am currently less than thrilled with Halo 3' date=' at the moment (only on 2nd level) but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. i'm going to slog through it, and see if i feel differently about it then, but right now its my least favorite of the 3, and i'd go so far as to say i don't like it. i think its just the complete difference between 3 and those before it, especially the look and even the gameplay. even the weapons don't feel right. i dunno, but i kept away from the hype, and maybe now i'm just feeling the game for what it really is instead of the super hype going into 1 and 2.[/quote']

Finished Halo 3 last night. Put me in the 'good game, but disappointing' camp. Partly due to length. Took me 6 hours. I hear it's taken some people more, but I usually play games on easy mode... because I don't count 'time spent respawning' as gameplay time. ^_- Nor did I simply rocket through. Explored each level quite thoroughly. It's a short game, with a very disappointing ending. And despite getting awards for 'strong story', I felt it was very weak on the exposition, and every section felt very light on gameplay and plot. I was just getting warmed up on the earth stuff, then... oh, we're gone.

And after the Flood arrive, do you actually fight any Covenant at all? I don't think you do. That was very disappointing, too. I don't find the Flood particularly interesting to fight for very long. Not to mention Carrier Forms resulted in instadeath a few too many times. >.>

i finished it today between classes, and i have to say that, after the first "warthog moment" i was hooked. having finished it now, i have to say it may be my favorite of the 3, mostly because of the excellent blend of elements from 1 and 2 (after getting used to all the little tweaks). still don't like the support items (deployable shields and the like) although i can't deny their usefulness...sometimes. also loved the new flood types...at least until the mission near the end. the rescue mission. you know, the one i'm not going to spoil. yea that one. the flood were SUPER annoying on that one.

otherwise, i really enjoyed it, and thought the story really came together well. be sure to watch through the credits, as there is (like always) and important cutscene at the end. i thought that the story was fantastic (for a fps), and really tied up loose ends. still wanted to know more about Johnson, especially his possible SPARTAN I connections, but it did not. and i was sad about that one thing, which also will not be spoiled, although i did think it was somewhat anticlimatic (this was the "near the end" thing, not the "end thing" btw). also really liked all the references back to the other games. that was nice. especially the repeated lines.

maybe my favorite thing, though, was driving a warthog and having an elite as my gunner. that was neat. but yea, totally changed my mind on the quality, and place it firmly before 2 on the list.

oh, and yes, the brutes are still the primary badies, and i remember being somewhat surprised by the lack of "flood levels", as there were really only 3 (i think)

I haven't had nearly the time to devote to it that I would like; I can see where it might only take six hours on Easy, but the original Metal Gear Solid only took 2.5/3 when you stop watching all the crap in between, so I can't say that's a measure of quality. The purpose of the single player was always to tie up the story and call it good.

There are things that add to the replay value; keeping score is one of them (and there are achievements attached to that, as well), and finding all the bloody skulls. I've been through level one... three times now. Haven't found a single f'n gold skull. I don't know where they ARE, I don't know how I manage to miss them completely, but dag. It's annoying. Mayhaps there's 14 in the whole game and I'm digging in the wrong place? This is possible.

And while I'm on the subject, how the FRELL do you build the bloody GRAVITY HAMMER?! Is it a TK? Is it an HA with Double Knockback? Is it just cheatery? It'll take me a while, this is certain.

HtH attack (for the base damage) with a linked EB Explosion (for the AWESOME knock people around effect).

i killed a hunter with one of those, and it even sent IT flying through the air. it then landed on top of a blown up vehicle. which made a great pic, might i add.

Nope' date=' that's not it. It borders on a TK, really, but I need to figure out how to get it strong enough to flip a truck. I've seen it heave a Warthog, and that's not a small vehicle.[/quote']

Isn't that just extra KB?

Does it also have some shield effect? Didn't seem to when the Chief used it, but the Brutes with hammers seemed to take two or three clips to take down.

Isn't that just extra KB?

Does it also have some shield effect? Didn't seem to when the Chief used it, but the Brutes with hammers seemed to take two or three clips to take down.

I think that has more to do with them being more elite Brutes. Like the Brutes with the funny hates wielding the plasma cannons.

Not yet, I've only seen it in Multiplayer (which was f'n hilarious, believe it) and on Level 2 (but remember, I haven't beaten the game yet). It can ALSO, if I've read the odd FAQ correctly, be used as a bat against grenades, which is a nifty talent all on its own.

Extra KB makes sense, yes, and if I give the Brutes +20 STR as part of their package deal, then it would be possible, with a +8d6 HA on the Gravity Hammer, to clock in around 14d6 HA per swing -- what does that translate too in KB range/damage? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?