• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Top 10 Action Hero One-Liners

To be fair, that's not a movie quote.

Keith "Giving credit to Herodotus" Curtis

It is now.

This is the sort of thinking that makes Tolkein's work into a novelization of the movie trilogy. I can't count it if it wasn't original to the movie. YMM, of course, V. :)

Keith " 'You speak Treason!' -- 'Fluently.' " Curtis

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Do you want to run this ship?

Jayne Cobb: Yes!

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: [caught off guard] Well... you can't...

and

Lenore: Mal. That guy killed me, Mal. He killed me with a sword. How weird is that?

one more,

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

-Serenity

Oh, and how could I forget this atrociously bad bright spot in an equally bad movie:

"I come in peace!"

"You go in pieces!"

From "I Come in Peace."

"There's not enough caffeine in that to keep a hamster awake."

(probably got the quote at least somewhat wrong)

German Officer from heavily-armed forces surrounding British Paratropers at Arnhem: "My general says there is no point in continuing this fighting! He wishes to discuss terms of a surrender! "

Major Carlyle of the Red Devils: "We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!"

- A Bridge Too Far

German Officer from heavily-armed forces surrounding British Paratropers at Arnhem: "My general says there is no point in continuing this fighting! He wishes to discuss terms of a surrender! "

Major Carlyle of the Red Devils: "We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!"

- A Bridge Too Far

"Nuts!"

General McCauliff, 101st Airborne Division, when asked to surrender at Bastonge

Hey, come on. We're superheroes. What could happen?

The Incredibles

We have an unusual problem here, Jane. You obviously want me dead, and I'm less and less concerned for your well-being.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

The 13th Warrior

Marlboro: You know, that gun costs about two dollars every time you fire it. That's two bucks a bullet.

Harley Davidson: Well how many'd I hit?

Marlboro: You spent twelve dollars and didn't hit a damn thing. I nailed one and it cost about four and a quarter.

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man

Yes. An old 1950s War movie. And refered to in Band of Brothers.

There was a scene in Bastgone, the movie I believe Tim is referring to, in which two German officers approach the protagonists under flag of truce and ask what Mcauliffe could possibly have meant by that. The senior officer does not speak English, at least not well, so the junior serves as an interpreter (the American troops speak no German at all).

Junior German officer: "Is that a positive or negative response?"

American: "Completely negative!"

Junior officer to his superior: "Negatif!" (it's weird that the German word is so close to the English one that interpretation seems unneeded).

At which point the Germans walk away, getting well out of range before fighting resumes.

Guest Major Tom

It was also mentioned in Patton, when one of Patton's subordinates told

him about the German demand for surrender at Bastogne, and Gen. McAuliffe's

now-famous reply to that demand. I don't remember Patton's response in its

exact entirety, but it was something to the effect that a man that elequent

simply had to be saved.

Major Tom :cool:

Hm' date=' this one makes me curious. Where is it from?[/quote']

The Adventures of Robin Hood?

I looked it up' date=' and you are correct.[/quote']

It's a sad old world when people have to look this one up. Of course, I've probably seen this movie a jillion times.

Keith "excellent swordplay" Curtis

Junior officer to his superior: "Negatif!" (it's weird that the German word is so close to the English one that interpretation seems unneeded).

There are quite a few words that are somewhat common, english does have something from everything, and being that there was plenty of germanic influence in England doesn't hurt.