Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

They tried vulcans on helicopters in the Vietnam war, but they couldn't carrry enough ammo to fire them for more than a few seconds, so it was pointless.  At a certain point, cyclic rate becomes a drawback unless its one of those Phalanx guns on a ship.  Not gonna run out of ammo any time soon on an aircraft carrier.  They can even make more if they want to.

The trick with the minigun on the motorcycle is to squeeze off about 1/3 second of brrrrp at targets.  It should be more than enough to force control rolls in your targets while the motorcycle dextrously maneuvers around larger vehicles sidelined by its fire to their tires, through windshields, etc.

i.e. No long brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp, but something more like well-aimed, short burst brrrp brrrp brrrp's at one or more targets.  Quick bursts to put just enough firepower where it needs to go ... and no more.

You can do a lot with a little ammo ... like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The trick with the minigun on the motorcycle is to squeeze off about 1/3 second of brrrrp at targets. It should be more than enough to force control rolls in your targets while the motorcycle dextrously maneuvers around larger vehicles sidelined by its fire to their tires, through windshields, etc.

i.e. No long brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp, but something more like well-aimed, short burst brrrp brrrp brrrp's at one or more targets. Quick bursts to put just enough firepower where it needs to go ... and no more.

You can do a lot with a little ammo ... like that.

Make it in .22 magnum so you can carry thousands of rounds. At 2000+ rpm cars could be cut in half, and recoil should not be problematic. Make a two stage trigger wit two rates of fire. 600 or so then as it comes on target, pull into second stage and jump up to 2 or 3 k rpm...

GM6 Lynx .50BMG bullpup semiautomatic rifle with awesome full-barrel recoil that looks painful to shoot

Long recoil is good for reducing peak recoil impulse. FN was working on a shoulder fired 40mm x53mm hv weapon some years ago, and earlier a 76mms weapon Iirc called samourai that didn't catch on...

True that, but why shoulder mounted then...I guess they're just showing off. But with the huge signature of a .50 you need to be Waaaay far away to avoid giving your posistion. Sooo not likely that you'd be shoulder firing. Hopefully it'l come in a number of calibers, so it can be chosen for a specific job.

Aside from .50 BMG, what other caliber would you want for man-shoulderable, man-fireable, anti-material uses?  .408 Cheytac, .416 Barrett, .50 Russian (i.e. 12.7x108mm), and 14.5x114mm Russian are about all I can think of.  Any smaller than those I just mentioned and you're out of the man-shoulderable, man-fireable, anti-material category ... and into anti-personnel rounds.  Meanwhile, any bigger starts to put you up close to auto-cannon rounds that tend to be fired from emplaced or crew-served weapons instead of man-shoulderable, man-fireable weapons.

Frankly, about the only reason I could see wanting a .408 Cheytac or .416 Barrett in lieu of a .50BMG ... is if you're trapped in the People's Republic of Californiastan ... where ownership of rifles chambered for .50BMG is illegal ... while those chambered for .416 Barrett or .408 Cheytac are, I believe, legal.

Aside from .50 BMG, what other caliber would you want for man-shoulderable, man-fireable, anti-material uses?  .408 Cheytac, .416 Barrett, .50 Russian (i.e. 12.7x108mm), and 14.5x114mm Russian are about all I can think of.  Any smaller than those I just mentioned and you're out of the man-shoulderable, man-fireable, anti-material category ... and into anti-personnel rounds.  Meanwhile, any bigger starts to put you up close to auto-cannon rounds that tend to be fired from emplaced or crew-served weapons instead of man-shoulderable, man-fireable weapons.

Frankly, about the only reason I could see wanting a .408 Cheytac or .416 Barrett in lieu of a .50BMG ... is if you're trapped in the People's Republic of Californiastan ... where ownership of rifles chambered for .50BMG is illegal ... while those chambered for .416 Barrett or .408 Cheytac are, I believe, legal.

Well I think a Lapua could work real well, a "holy grail" of sniping is a reliable follow on shot...with a lighter caliber you Might be able to have a 2 shot select option...?

Well you can fit a lot more fancy stuff in a 50 cal bullet, so you could make interesting variant rounds like explosive, flechette, incendiary, flash, armor piercing, etc.

True that... :yes:

.338 Lapua is an anti-personnel round, not an anti-material round...

Well...yes...? Sniping is normally anti-personnel, and for long range work,  .50 is used.... and with a full barrel recoil system, you might eliminate enough kick for a fast follow on shot. I think I don't understand what you're saying...

You could probably devise an ultralight recoilless rifle.  The 57mm weighed about 50 pounds.  A 40mm shoulder fired recoilless rifle might be remotely plausible.  Whether you could give it a magazine is another question.  20mm autocannon with gas and spring recoil reduction might lower recoil up to 90%, but it would still be pretty daunting.  

Well...yes...? Sniping is normally anti-personnel, and for long range work,  .50 is used.... and with a full barrel recoil system, you might eliminate enough kick for a fast follow on shot. I think I don't understand what you're saying...

The full barrel recoil system to which we are referring was CLEARLY employed to make that .50BMG platform man-shoulderable and man-fireable; nothing more.  If you think about it, that system makes little practical sense, since no sane, long-range shooter will use it to take long range shots from an unsupported, standing position with a shouldered rifle -- because too much accuracy is lost in a standing/unsupported, shouldered position.  Thus, the moment you put that platform down on the ground to get support from a bipod, you might as well have simply had a bipod and brake combination ... and a simpler platform that is less prone to failures thanks to reduced complexity. 

With that in mind, I feel a full barrel recoil system on a .338 Lapua platform is even more of a solution in search of a problem, as there just isn't that much recoil to mitigate with .338 Lapua.  In case you doubt my 'solution in search of a problem' assertion, here's a youth shooting a suppressed .338 Lapua rifle with a bipod. Do you see any need for a full barrel recoil system on that rifle??  (I sure don't!)  Do you think follow-up shots are a problem on that rifle? (I sure don't!)  Change the platform from a bolt gun to a semi-auto and you'll have quicker follow-up.  Eliminate the suppressor and use a brake, and it's still VERY tame compared to .50BMG...  (For reference: .338 Lapua produces only ~3 times the recoil of a 7mm REM MAG, which is quite manageable.  .50 BMG produces a bit more than ~6 times the recoil of .338 Lapua ... i.e. ~18 times the recoil of 7mm REM MAG.)

I think some gun platforms are done as an experiment: could I do this, and how would it be done?  But once its done, sometimes they can be more useful or have applications you'd not considered in design.

Agreed.  In this case, I think someone just wanted bragging rights for a man-shoulderable, man-fireable .50BMG for 'mine's bigger' type comparisons.  I say that because I just don't see a practical military uses for that .50 BMG platform. :)