Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

If anyone gets a chance to look at it on the newsstand, the current issue of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER has an article on the .577 revolvers from Britain in the Colonial period. It is by Hamilton BOwen, and discusses his work to make a modern version.

for the table of contents...

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/features.html

Thanks for the link. Didn't know they were selling conversions from the factory. Neat. =) Looks like a conversion cylinder is all you really need for most models. Very cool. Didn't really see the rendition I liked best' date=' but some cool ones. Thanks so much! Must spread rep... =/[/quote']

You're more then welcome! Rep!? I got Rep?! Woot!:D

Edit: Woops! No I didn't. :(

I'm watching a show right now on the History Channel called "Sharp Shooters" that examines legendary shots (from the Old West, mostly) and then they try to re-enact them. It's pretty cool, they look at how hard ricochets really are, hitting two targets with two pistols simultaneously (ala Wild Bill Hickok) and should be getting into some of Annie Oakley's shots after the commercial. (link)

What's a "wall gun"?

A gun that's set on' date=' or braced against a wall before firing. I've heard them called "fortress guns" as well.[/quote']

What he said :D

To expand a bit...

I've seen guns like that one mentioned as occasional alternatives to Swivel guns on the rails of warships. Nasty anti-personnel weapons with a much longer range than the swivel guns. In siege situations they were employed on the walls, usually as counterbattery fire. Theres a record from the Revolutionary war where Washington calls out the specs he wants for his wall guns. It's pretty impressive... around a 1" bore, with a 7 foot barrel, supposedly accurate enough to hit a piece of parchment at 600 paces or some-such. I'll see if I can dig up the info.

Basically muckin' big mounted rifles to shoot enemy artillerymen and the occasional officer.

From the above site, in case you didn't stumble across it....

The British Wall gun.

1" Bore, 54" barrel, 34 pounds. Barrel lugged to use a yoke pivot. One nice thing about these semi-portables is you could keep them down out of site behind the walls till it was time to shoot. Enough mounting points on the walls and you have a very flexible battery, in effect.

In touring the cowboy hall of fame one comes across Anne's winchester.

Her smooth bore winchester.

Her smooth bore bird shot shooting winchester.

My western ideals crashed hard.

that right, one would not want to dissapoint the crowd and miss that glass.

just think what that meant when the kaiser desided to hold that glass. and she smile and shot it out of his hand.

Lord Ghee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Some new revolvers I hadn't posted before... =) A Cylinder & Slide custom bowling pin gun' date=' a french MR-93(?) which has some interesting lines to it.[/quote']

The Manurhin pistols look pretty nice. I don't think I have ever handled one though.

THESE guys seem to think along the same lines I do. :eg:

http://www.municion.org/penna/7x23.htm

remember the Kel-Tec RFB bullpup rifle/carbine in 7.62x51/.308 WInchester?

New version announced. 26" stainless steel fluted barrel. Plus a suppressor!

or without, but... :eg:

sometimes I wish I lived in a different state. ;)

DSCN0122.sized.jpg document.body.clientWidth / 2) { this.width = document.body.clientWidth / 2};" border=0>

edit

lots more on this, and MANY other interesting weapons here

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn75-e.htm

The Manurhin pistols look pretty nice. I don't think I have ever handled one though.

THESE guys seem to think along the same lines I do. :eg:

http://www.municion.org/penna/7x23.htm

I've never handled one either, and the few times I found it for sale anywhere, the prices were a bit nuts. Its the first slab-side style revolver I've seen where they kept the lines of the revolver consistent. To me, its aesthetically pleasing, no idea about the pistol's function. I'd try one if the price were right, perhaps.

The round you showed... kind of odd from what I can see. Very interesting. Looks like an attempt for a higher velocity and more penetration, perhaps? I can't say I know much about reloading or making up new cartridges except maybe in a vague theoretical way. Interesting, though, from what I can understand. Putting a Beretta like slide cut-out on a 1911 looks weird, though. =)

remember the Kel-Tec RFB bullpup rifle/carbine in 7.62x51/.308 WInchester?

New version announced. 26" stainless steel fluted barrel. Plus a suppressor!

or without, but... :eg:

sometimes I wish I lived in a different state. ;)

I'm in the same boat. =) While I didn't like the initial submissions of their design, it is getting interesting. FN's FS2000 is also very interesting. THe only thing about these rifles is they look like there's some kind of "droop" in the line of the rifle for some reason. Dunno. Interesting concept, though, for sure.