Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

And here I thought the American Derringer Co. 45-70 derringer was crazy...

Is that a production item? I heard of a custom one-shot being made (likely still in the guy's forehead if he managed to hold on). That's ridiculous. I like a stout round in the chamber, but that's ridiculous. Derringers make it look hard to shoot anything, much less an old rifle round.

With the .600 Nitro, at least it'll satisfy someone's "big gun" fetish in a game. Heck, my current characters carries a ridicluous revolver (3d6+1 RKA) in a post-modern world. Its a 4-shot to accomadate the gothic cross extractor star. :D

Speaking of which, anyone have a cool signature gun for a character of theirs? Seems like this would be the place to talk about it.

I'll pass on all these guns; I like having wrists that work. When I need to shoot something that hard' date=' I'll use a rifle.[/quote']

With the .600 Nitro, at least it'll satisfy someone's "big gun" fetish in a game. Heck, my current characters carries a ridicluous revolver (3d6+1 RKA) in a post-modern world. Its a 4-shot to accomadate the gothic cross extractor star. :D

Yeah, I only posted those as game ideas. The page compares the .600 Nitro to a few other rounds, and it apparently has about 10 times the knockback as a .308 Winchester. These could be sidearms for characters that consider a 20mm cannon man portable.

Is that a production item? I heard of a custom one-shot being made (likely still in the guy's forehead if he managed to hold on). That's ridiculous. I like a stout round in the chamber, but that's ridiculous. Derringers make it look hard to shoot anything, much less an old rifle round.

Speaking of which, anyone have a cool signature gun for a character of theirs? Seems like this would be the place to talk about it.

We're starting an anime/cyberpunk/horror game Saturday. Shadows Angelus II. My PC carries a Remington Earthshaker (the revolver from Bubblegum Crisis). It carries 3 15mm rounds in the cylinder. She has the following engraved on the bottom of the barrel shroud: Ultima Ratio Regum, meaning "The Last Argument of Kings."

earthshaker.jpg

We're starting an anime/cyberpunk/horror game Saturday. Shadows Angelus II. My PC carries a Remington Earthshaker (the revolver from Bubblegum Crisis). It carries 3 15mm rounds in the cylinder. She has the following engraved on the bottom of the barrel shroud: Ultima Ratio Regum, meaning "The Last Argument of Kings."

earthshaker.jpg

Nice gun name and quote. Odd grip angle, though. Modern shroud profile very reminiscent of an auto-loader. Very neat.

I also note that the Earthshaker has an unnecessarily short sight radius, with the front sight in between the raised "ears" over the cylinder and not at the front of the barrel, as is usual. Between that and the grip angle, I have to suspect that this gun would be hard to shoot accurately.

Other than that, it looks pretty darned cool, and I'd love to have one in .44 Magnum.

The Digital Force Technologies' Tactical Pneumatic Launch System:

A pneumatically launched tactical line-throwing system developed by DFT for Special Operations Forces. The T-PLS can launch a standard titanium grappling hook towing a 7mm Kevlar line in excess of 120 vertical feet using a regulated air source.

I was fond of that phrase even before Snowcrash came out' date=' but I'm an old school cannon geek :thumbup:[/quote']

In the first session of play, she shot down a pursuing spinner filled with Yakuza gangsters. Two shots, each doing 11 BODY = one car spiraling out of the sky.

In the first session of play' date=' she shot down a pursuing spinner filled with Yakuza gangsters. Two shots, each doing 11 BODY = one car spiraling out of the sky.[/quote']

Hehehe... refer to my signature quote for my opinion on this sort of thing. =) I guess its a bit juvenile, but oh well.

Unfortunately this site doesn't give much technical information besides calibre and barrel size. The pocket pistol seems to have been 6 shot (http://www.ingenting.f2s.com/download/RevolvrarPistoler.pdf) and .31 cal. 3 1/2 inch barrel. Which is a nice pocket pistol considering how concealable it would have been compared to revolvers.

Wow! They managed to make an even more useless cartridge and pistol than the old Kolibri ones!!!

No cartridge is useless if you go for a head shot. Mossad use .22 LR-callbre handguns for assassination work.

Plus, a tiny gun you can carry concealed and no-one knows you have is far preferable to a hand cannon you have to leave at home. Derringers in Magnum calibres have never made much sense to me, though, nor have snubby versions of big Magnum-calibre revolvers.

Personally, I would feel much more comfortable and secure with something "small" (say 9mm/.45 ACP-calibre), which I could handle with absolute confidence, rather than a hand cannon which I was scared to use because I kept damaging my wrists.

As Colonel Jeff Cooper, founder of Gunsite wisely pointed out "Two hundred misses is not firepower. One hit is firepower."

No cartridge is useless if you go for a head shot. Mossad use .22 LR-callbre handguns for assassination work.

Plus, a tiny gun you can carry concealed and no-one knows you have is far preferable to a hand cannon you have to leave at home. Derringers in Magnum calibres have never made much sense to me, though, nor have snubby versions of big Magnum-calibre revolvers.

Personally, I would feel much more comfortable and secure with something "small" (say 9mm/.45 ACP-calibre), which I could handle with absolute confidence, rather than a hand cannon which I was scared to use because I kept damaging my wrists.

As Colonel Jeff Cooper, founder of Gunsite wisely pointed out "Two hundred misses is not firepower. One hit is firepower."

yes, mossad did use .22 pistols for hits, such as the executions of those responsible for the Munich planners.

They emptied them into the heads, iirc.

Now they would probably use one of the tiny .380s. I like my wife's Kel-Tec P3AT, though if the chance comes up I will probably buy the 9mm PF-9

This would be a backup or more covert alternative to my Kimber .45. ;)

If I could afford a custom pistol' date=' I would probably buy a guncrafters .50 GI or a semi-custom .45 LC single action.[/quote']

Have you shot the .50 GI? I'm curious as to how it shoots, but can't say I have a very strong feeling about it as a whole. .45 ACP suits me fine. I may someday do a custom auto, but they don't get me riled up like revolvers do. Something nice about a well tuned revolver, and the aesthetics please me very much. A .45 LC SA would be very nice. I'd probably just build it on a ruger, honestly, and stick with my .44 caliber love. I haven't shot .45 LC, but also a nicely traditional round.

I'm thinking I'll go with a shorter barreled version of that gun, probably 5-6", minus the giant holes in the barrel. I'll go with a Bowen adjustable rear v-notch w/ tritium front for sights. I was thinking of going with a scope mount top, but I think it might detract from the aesthetics.

Who knows. Gotta buy a new house first. :straight: Maybe after that I can afford it. Every time I get money together, it needs to go somewhere else. *sigh*

Have you shot the .50 GI? I'm curious as to how it shoots, but can't say I have a very strong feeling about it as a whole. .45 ACP suits me fine. I may someday do a custom auto, but they don't get me riled up like revolvers do. Something nice about a well tuned revolver, and the aesthetics please me very much. A .45 LC SA would be very nice. I'd probably just build it on a ruger, honestly, and stick with my .44 caliber love. I haven't shot .45 LC, but also a nicely traditional round.

I'm thinking I'll go with a shorter barreled version of that gun, probably 5-6", minus the giant holes in the barrel. I'll go with a Bowen adjustable rear v-notch w/ tritium front for sights. I was thinking of going with a scope mount top, but I think it might detract from the aesthetics.

Who knows. Gotta buy a new house first. :straight: Maybe after that I can afford it. Every time I get money together, it needs to go somewhere else. *sigh*

I haven't shot the .50 GI, but I handled one at the '02 shot show. :thumbup::D

If I was going to build a custom revovler it would probably be in .45 LC because it is possible to buy three or 4 power levels of ammo off the shelf. The "Cowboy" loads are very mild, so would be extremely pleasant to shoot. The "standard" loads are about like a .45 acp, so should still be quite pleasant. There are some +p loads like the Cor-Bon 225 grain DPX bullet at 1200fps that would be stout and effective, but should be controllable, and then there are the "45 magnum" level loads like COr-bon and Buffalo Bore load, with a 300 grain bullet at up to 1300 fps or more. I would probably tend to shoot a handload using a 255-300 grain semi-wadcutter at about 1000fps though. Plenty potent for most uses.

I think if I could put together my "perfect Revolver" it would probably be a 5" Blackhawk or Redhawk with a custom rear sight. I would like to build an "express style" or even a fold up ladder style rear sight for longer range shooting. Another option would be what Elmer Keith did on one of his custom revolvers, a gold inlaid horizontal bar lower on the front sight to correspond to the proper sight picture at some given range. I would give very serious consideration to Magna porting it too.

Other interesting options for custom pistols would be a 1911 with interchangeable slides for .22lr, .45acp, .45 Super, and .460 Rowland, or a EAA Witness with conversions for .22lr, 9mm, .10mm, and .45 acp.

In thinking about it more I would probably get a .45 super before I got a .50 GI, just because it can also handle standard .45 acp, if it is loaded to Hardball or better momentum.

:D

If I was going to build a custom revovler it would probably be in .45 LC because it is possible to buy three or 4 power levels of ammo off the shelf. The "Cowboy" loads are very mild, so would be extremely pleasant to shoot. The "standard" loads are about like a .45 acp, so should still be quite pleasant. There are some +p loads like the Cor-Bon 225 grain DPX bullet at 1200fps that would be stout and effective, but should be controllable, and then there are the "45 magnum" level loads like COr-bon and Buffalo Bore load, with a 300 grain bullet at up to 1300 fps or more. I would probably tend to shoot a handload using a 255-300 grain semi-wadcutter at about 1000fps though. Plenty potent for most uses.

For much the same reason, I'd probably pick .454 Cassul as the caliber for my custom revolver, giving me even more options. Porting would be a must. It would have a six-inch barrel with a full-length underlug; more likely, the barrel and lug would be a single massive slab of steel. I also really like the idea of the ladder sight.

It seems likely that it would be based on a Ruger Super Redhawk.

For much the same reason, I'd probably pick .454 Cassul as the caliber for my custom revolver, giving me even more options. Porting would be a must. It would have a six-inch barrel with a full-length underlug; more likely, the barrel and lug would be a single massive slab of steel. I also really like the idea of the ladder sight.

It seems likely that it would be based on a Ruger Super Redhawk.

I think we have relatively similar tastes!