Cool Guns for your Games

• Please log in to reply
2670 replies to this topic

#2661 Surrealone

Surrealone

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 797 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

SD Tactical was selling more than just a thread adapter -- i.e. their 'kit' was completely enclosed and obviated constructive intent.  A thread adapter, alone ... likely isn't enough to establish enough intent.

i.e. You can't reasonably compare a fully-enclosed kit that the ATF halted the sale of .... with a mere thread adapter.  There's an obvious and  substantial difference between the two -- even under the eyes of the law.  (To wit: there are all manner of thread adaptors already legally sold for use on the ends of muzzles.)

"Evolutionary creativity always renders invalid the 'law of large numbers' and acts in an elitist way."

-- Erich Jantsch, The Self-Organizing Universe

#2662 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 41,001 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

If you say so.  I'm not inclined to test the ATF's patience just so I can screw an oil filter on the end of a gun.

...and that's when the destruction began.

#2663 Surrealone

Surrealone

• 797 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

If you say so.  I'm not inclined to test the ATF's patience just so I can screw an oil filter on the end of a gun.

It's not the thread adapter part, itself, that is illegal; it's what one does with it after obtaining it that can violate the law.  Plenty of people will likely buy one and test the ATF on it it -- but I'm not among them, either, as a mandatory taxpayer-funded, 10-year 'hotel' stay is not something I wish to contemplate.

"Evolutionary creativity always renders invalid the 'law of large numbers' and acts in an elitist way."

#2664 Surrealone

Surrealone

• 797 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

So this has been around for a while but never had much 'splash'.  It's the CZ Bren 2, a 5.56 NATO chambered sub-machine gun featuring a super-short gas system allowing it to work well with barrels as short as 8 inches -- when suppressed. Weight is 7.5 lbs; magazine capacity is 30; and the rate of fire is 850 rounds/min.

cz-bren-2.jpg?itok=_I6qP3ZW&fc=50,50

• pinecone likes this

#2665 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,417 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Sometimes changing loads can make a large change to performance.

Duplex subsonic load for suppressed .308/7.62x51mm   rifles.

http://www.thefirear...ole-ammunition/

• Old Man likes this

"Life is too short for weak coffee or cheap beer"

#2666 Scott Ruggels

Scott Ruggels

Skilled Normal

• 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

On a different note, the survival RDB is hideous!  I own a RFB and it's a slick, innovative .308 bullpup.  I had a chance to buy a RDB but passed on it since I already own a highly customized (by Ken at K&N Aerospace) Bushmaster M17s bullpup chambered in 5.56 NATO ... and couldn't see picking up another 5.56 NATO bullpup just yet (but I'd like one eventually).  I did find it intriguing that the survival RDB was stated as being chambered in .223 ... and am hoping that's a misprint ... since it's perfectly safe to use .223 in a 5.56 NATO chambered firearm ... but not vice versa.

The Suervival RDB is just a small (and perhaps California Legal... maybe) version of the upcoming RDB. It currently has problems with Quality control at least on the forums, but the design and price point of the RDB make it attractive, and yes it's designed for .223.  From the videos and what a friend says, that when it's working it's a joy to shoot and fairly accurate, thought he survival's barrel is a little too thin.

The best Alternative that seems to be coming out is the .308, but changeable calliber  Desert Tecfh MDR, which has been delayed by testibng to make sure it DOES NOT have the Kel-Tec style QC issues and another friend hqas ordered one but it may not ship until July.

Me? if it's made after 1945 I am generally not interested XD.

#2667 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 41,001 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Supercavitating bullets for underwater use

A 60m underwater range for .50 is pretty spectacular.  You could actually reach a sub at periscope depth with that, though perhaps not puncture it.

• Hyper-Man likes this
...and that's when the destruction began.

#2668 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,417 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

A 60m underwater range for .50 is pretty spectacular.  You could actually reach a sub at periscope depth with that, though perhaps not puncture it.

something similar was the basis of the Fin stabilized 30mm round used in the RAMICS anti-mine system.   IIRC it would pentrate over 2 inches of steel at 60 or 80 meters.   Seemed to me it would disable subs well...

• pinecone and Hyper-Man like this

#2669 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,417 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Neat! http://zdbonline.inf...-sub-cal-round/

#2670 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,664 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:35 AM

Yep, that is Amazing...I figure a 20mm with super cav tech just might be a sub killer in close waters.

"Remember, with super power, comes super responsability" The mighty Strobe

#2671 Sundog

Sundog

Very High Powered Superhero

• 1,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

I doubt it. Modern subs have pretty thick and strong hulls.

I owe Michael Hopcroft MORE Rep.