[Campaign] The Nebraskans

Gadodel

Re: [Campaign] The Nebraskans

Part 20:

Medical Leave or Vacation, the Team was not on active duty. They were confined to the hospital or HQ. Four weeks of thorough medical care or absolute boredom was finally interrupted by a visit from a team from D.C. Command had briefed the Feds the week before, then D.C. repaid the gesture with a briefing of their own. Mysteriously, The Brotherhood of Joseph had not been heard from the entire time.

D.C.'s briefing was complicated, long and quite worrisome. The Nebraskans had unwittingly discovered and essentially joined in on one of the oldest, most secretive rivalries in history. D.C.'s involvment began in 1947. From there, the Feds outlined a story crowded with bureaucracy, conflict, science and secrecy. Essentially, Earth was a territory fought over by more than just rival nations of men.

The Feds put it this way: Earth was the 'ultimate toolkit'*. It had an ever evolving, huge, intelligent labor force. It had large tracks of undeveloped land and even larger tracts of ocean that regenerated itself over time. It had all the natural resources any civilization may need to advance. It was a beautiful, ripe, target that was distracted by chaos and mortality and other civilizations were becoming increasing aware of its existence.

D.C. vowed to defend the US and Earth in general. The Nebraskans readily agreed to join the cause. It was the 27th state to do so. This was one of those 'truths' that D.C. really didn't want out there too fast...not yet.

*The Fed talking joked that they bought the rights to use the trade marked phrase. 'With what money? The Feds are always in debt!' Hastings commented. 'Some lawyer might want to check into that claim!" Hastings added.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very day the Team was cleared by doctors and reassembled, it was summoned. Literally, 'summoned' back to where it all began; Rose Nebraska.

A rancher was out surveying his land when he came across 'one of the strangest things', according to the recording that the Team heard. The rancher called the State Patrol and the call was recorded. The rancher had a difficult time explaining himself as what he saw was indescribable. However, everyone on the Team heard one part of the report loud and clear:

The Farmer: 'It's as if a very large man just emerged from the pond and started walking east-I can jump inside of one of the footprints! Next to these footprints are footprints just a bit larger than my own. Both sets head east and if I didn't know any better, the two are together!'

Everyone sat quietly...for a few moments.

Command: Head to Rose and start tracking the footprints. See just who or what is leaving them and report back.

Lincoln: I miss the days of trading off shots with criminals and thugs.

Hastings: It's like an episode of Sesame Street written by H.P. Lovecraft...

Keya Paha: (laughs) That'll work. I was about to suggest that everyone start watching 'Creature Feature'. That's how I got started.

Omaha: Your start?

Keya Paha: I hunt all sorts of monsters. From cultists to pedophiles and more. I don't need much of an imagination to take the fight to this or that Methed-out E.T.

Ainsworth: You've always worked alone, why did you join us?

Keya Paha: I was tired of being outnumbered...and out-gunned.

Niobrara: You just tell me where to shoot and I'll solve the latter problem.

Lincoln: Any idea of what we are facing?

Keya Paha: Aliens using our own mythologies against us...maybe.

Everyone thought about what Keya Paha had just said. The Brotherhood of Joseph may or may not be aliens. If aliens truly exist. Thus far, they have certainly done their best to recruit The Nebraskans. Their disappearance coincides with the Team learning about and joining the cause to defend Earth. Yet, what did the Team offer that they didn't already have?

An odd discussion about imagination and skepticism followed. Then, the Team arrived at the start of the footprints.

Lincoln: The new helicopter is so quiet and smooth.

Scottsbluff: I think we should use a drone instead. I don't want to be knocked down again.

Lincoln: Have one start from Ashland.

Platte: Working on it now.

It didn't take long to get the pilotless drone out and searching.

Platte: Take a look at that guys!

The Team was observing a site of absolute carnage. The remains of numerous cattle were found in one location. The two happened along the location and simply, savagely attacked and consumed as many as 25 head of cattle.

The Team also found a dead rancher. He had a rifle and had fired it several times before the rifle was taken away from him and bent like a pretzel.

Lincoln: Men with weapons pose a major threat...it would seem...to not only us, but to them as well. But, seemingly-more to them...

The Team caught up with the individuals making the tracks.

Hastings: It's Klaatu and Gort!!!

Keya Paha: I don't recall Gort being 100 foot tall.

Lincoln: I don't think we have anything in our arsenal that might convince them to talk or else.

Niobrara: I don't think that even the Pentagon has anything that'll stop that machine...robot...whatever it is.

Several Team Members in Unison: It's a Mecha!!!

The Team opted to land the helicopter in front of the pair and approach them on foot.

Lincoln: Hello! Someone like Lincoln trying diplomacy was absolutely ironic considering the various weapons he carried that were in plain view.

The Humanoid: Will you sacrifice your cities and towns or submit to our demands?

The Robot: I am ready to launch upon your command!

Hastings: The Day Nebraska stood Still!!!

Nervous laughter followed....and then the Team returned to the seriousness of the very dangerous standoff.

Part 21:

The Humanoid threw a sucker punch and connected with Lincoln's jaw. Lincoln staggered and fell backwards. Dodge countered with a strike to the Humanoids knee. Omaha countered with a strike to the face. Keya Paha wasted no time and struck with his sword. Niobrara tasered the Humanoid as the opponent lay upon the ground.

'The Robot' did nothing.

It wasn't a 'robot' afterall.

It too was a 'humanoid' of sorts too. An armored warrior.

It took off his helmet and spoke...

The Giant: I am at your service.

The Team looked puzzled.

Lincoln: What is your name and why are you on Earth?

The Giant: Hematite. I am...was...a destroyer in the service of the Paxians.

Lincoln: Paxians?

Hematite: The Paxians are an empire that enslaves and uses other species to keep the peace in their intergalatic realm. Destroyers like myself have the dishonorable task of pacifying other species. Your skills as warriors would have made you appropriate Destroyers. It's why the Paxian was here....

Lincoln: Why did you say 'I am at your service'?

Hematite: Because I am free and can do whatever I want, now. Hematite proceeded to lift his foot and smash the Paxian...much to the Team's horror...

Hematite was more of service than the Team ever imagined. Hematite showed the Team the Paxian Spacecraft which brought him and his former 'master' to Earth. It was hidden in a pond near Rose, Nebraska. The Team quickly notified Command and an investigation began.

The investigation was led by three new members of the Team: Ashland, Bellevue and Columbus. All three were Air Force colonels from Nebraska and were given permission by the Pentagon to return to their homestate to conduct the investigation. Hematite was more than cooperative, but for a price: sanctuary on Earth.

The Nebraskans became the first state level agency to secretly join the space race. The Paxian Spacecraft was so advanced that it would take years to study it and as long to apply the knowledge. Nevertheless, it also became the herald of what was about to come: the state of Nebraska was the new center of all interest, pursuit and study of extra terrastrial concerns.

The Team not only had the people, places and things in Nebraska to protect-in general, but also one of the largest secrets in US history. The other dilemna was exactly where to hide it AND Hematite...

Several weeks into the investigation...

Platte: If there are all of these other species out there and they are more advanced: why haven't they simply come to Earth and conquered it by now?

Keya Paha: No human leader or nation has been able to conquer all of Earth yet. Perhaps the variables that have been in place to prevent such a thing also happen on an intergalatic scale as well. Attempts have been blocked by costs, rivalries and time limitations.

Lincoln: That simple?

Ashland: Likely.

Bellevue: Even an advanced invasion force would have to consider the size of Earth and all of its geographical attributes. Not to mention Humanity just might pack more of punch than any invasion force was ready for.

Columbus: There's another reason: there's a lot of technology here-in the Paxian Spacecraft, that would be harmful to the natural resources of Earth. Preventing the destruction of what they might be after might be a problem their scientists can not find a solution to. The fuel in the spacecraft is highly explosive...imagine if that whole cell got detonated?

Lincoln: Wanting to preserve the spoils of war works to actually prevent the war?

Dodge: It sounds like the basis for a business deal.

Scottsbluff: We sell and trade resources for information, technology and treaties?

Omaha: Why not?

Keya Paha: How do we pick a side?

Lincoln: Maybe ask Hematite to help us?

Part 22:

Brewsky's, 27th and Cornhusker; Lincoln-Nebraska. Keya Paha's favorite bar and grill.

Keya Paha: We're entertainment? That's why we have yet to be overun by this or that Alien?

Hastings: Can you think of a better reason?

Niobrara: People can be a lot of fun to watch.

Hastings: Exactly. Who would you rather watch: funny, stupid people roaming around freely or people imprisoned and maybe plotting a rebellion?

Keya Paha: True. I don't know how many hours I've killed watching Youtube.

Niobrara: Or Break.com

Hastings: Think about all of the technology that has been developed strictly for entertainment. What if there was a really bad a$$ species out there that has been protecting Earth just for the sake of a good laugh.

Niobrara: You mean, like a pet?

Hastings: Six billion pets!!! Each with their own name, personality and proclivities.

Platte: You're making a lot of sense. Maybe you should check out that blonde over there. Maybe that will rattle that brain of yours and you'll be back to telling jokes.

The Team laughs as Hastings makes his way over to said blonde. A blonde that has everyone's attention...

Dodge: What does Nebraska have that an advanced civilization may need or want?

Ainsworth: Food.

Platte: Large, quiet, tracts of land in which to set up bases and research labs.

Scottsbluff: Small, less traveled media outlets and fewer military installations than a lot of states.

Omaha: Nebraska has always been a quiet place where privacy is respected. An excellent place to base a whole lot of secrets.

Dodge: Would it be enough to trade for technology far beyond our own?

Platte: Well, our own government has already claimed some of the best out-of-the-way places such as Alaska, The Dakotas, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah etcetera.

Dodge: True.

Ainsworth: Looks like Hastings is the first to remember that we are humans and entitled to have some fun.

Everyone watches as Hastings makes a move on a blonde at the bar...

Ashland: The language on their computer was based on pictures. Sort of like Hieroglyphics.

Bellevue: Do you know any Egyptologists from Nebraska?

Columbus: There's a professor at UNL, I think.

Ashland: Let's ask Command to inquiry and recruit.

Chadron: Guys, check out Hastings!

This part of the Team takes a look and goes back to talking about the time they spent examining the Paxian Spacecraft. Chadron got bored and went over to play some darts...with a different blonde. His double take caught Niobrara's attention. The two looked at one another and realized that the two blondes were twins.

Niobrara: I must be buzzing. His head movement back and forth alerted Ainsworth as to what Niobrara was refering to.

Ainsworth: No...I'd say dreaming. But then, so am I! Ainsworth spotted yet another blonde...

Triplets, in one place. It didn't take the entire Team long to notice what Ainsworth, Chadron and Niobrara had caught onto. Ashland, Bellevue and Columbus continued to talk about computers...making the three undesirable tablemates.

Part 23:

Phone numbers were obtained. Promises to call were made. The bar was closing. The Team headed for the door. Niobrara gave the halt signal and everyone stopped right where they were. When Niobrara pulled out his handgun, everyone followed his lead.

Lincoln: What'd'ya got?

Niobrara: The lot is surrounded by heavily armed men.

Keya Paha: The blondes were a distraction?

Niobrara: That's my guess.

Hastings: I'm making a call, to see if it's legit. If it is, she'll only think that it was a drunk call.

'The number you have dialed has been disconnected or is not assigned contact your operator for assistance!'

Hastings: Damn it.

Chadron: I am checking the back exit.

Moments later, Chadron returned and reported that it too; was surrounded.

Lincoln: Well, last time I tried diplomacy; I got layed out!

Ashland, Bellevue and Columbus were still talking about the Paxian Spacecraft. Everyone turned to look at them and they didn't even flinch or even bother to catch up to what was going on in the moment.

Hastings: Hey! Human Shields!!!

Lincoln: (laughing) Let's do this....

The Team exited the bar and immediately spread out. Ten against thirty, maybe more...

The Team wasn't greeted by a flurry of bullets. An flash of brilliant light struck outward from them and towards the armed men. Their would-be opponents were stunned and in some pain, unable to wage any aggression towards the Team. The Team walked towards their row of motorcycles...

Niobrara: Any idea what that was?

Chadron: Golden flakes, falling from the sky?

Lincoln: Uh, anyone else hear a flute being played?

Scottsbluff: Let's get on our bikes and ride. We can talk about it later...

The Team got on their bikes, started them up and began riding. Westbound on Cornhusker Highway, then south on 14th street. 14th street became Antelope Vally Parkway. Scottsbluff led the team westbound again on Salt Creek, then southbound again on 14th. The vehicles that were chasing them wouldn't be able to make it through the University of Nebraska city campus.

Scottsbluff led the team past Andrews-the English Department, past Burnett-the Psychology Department, in between Avery-the Computer Engineering building and Hamilton-the Chemistry building. Then, finally; past Memorial Stadium-where the Option was killed by the West Coast Offense. From there, the Team headed north on Stadium Drive and over the pedestrian overpass. Once on 10th street, the Team knew that they had lost all of the vehicles that were giving chase.

The Team made its way to Adams and back over to 14th street. The Team took 14th street north and straigh out of town. The whirlwind ride was fun, but they were quite pleased to make it back to their countryside base. Yet, they were still wondering what the source of that bright flash of light was and who might have been behind it...

The Team drove onto their base and into a garage where they could park their bikes. As soon as they entered it was as if they had drove into a foreign...alien place! The floor wasn't concrete and the walls were not steel. Instead, the place looked more like a 'cargo bay'. After they parked and turned off their bikes, each complained about being jolted by some sort of unseen energy. Moments later, they were unconscious.

The Team, it would seem; were abducted...

The Team awoke with oxygen masks on...

A General: Sorry about that. We had to leave Earth abruptly and didn't have time to get you ready. You'll be ok.

Lincoln: and you are?

A General: General Wright-Patt. I'm from Ohio's Team.

Hastings: I'd better check everyone out.

Ashland: I can help, since I've been in space before.

General Wright-Patt: We're headed to Hangar 18.

Keya Paha: I've heard of that place. A UFO research center disguised as a hospital...if I recall correctly.

General Wright-Patt: (smiling) Something like that. We need to get you your new equipment.

Platte: What sort of equipment?

General Wright-Patt: Powered Armor. Weapons with superior fire power.

Niobrara: Really?

General Wright-Patt: (hands Niobrara a shell the size of the standar 7.62 round.) This can take out anything up to a Russian T-72 tank!

Chadron: Nice!!!

Lincoln: Why the generosity?

General Wright-Patt: Our top 10 scientists have been given permission by your Command to join the investigation of the Paxian Spacecraft.

Lincoln: How do you know about it?

General Wright-Patt: When 3 of my top pilots are suddenly taken away from me and sent elsewhere, I'm entitled to some answers. The General said while looking at Ashland, Bellevue and Columbus.

Ashland: I figured I could trust my own cousin!

In no time at all, the Team was on Wright-Patterson AFB and just outside of Hangar 18. They were led to the underground facility and given an opportunity to see just how far the United States government had progressed in the realm of Space Sciences. They also were told shown the Hall of Myths...a place they would later find themselves in for hours, studying.

Part 24:

The Team had been in the Hall of Myths for several hours when...

Lincoln: OK, someone-please; tell me you hear that flute.

Dodge: I hear it too, now.

Keya Paha: (walking around a display and not part of the conversation yet) I just learned the real reason why Native American tribes didn't develop technology at the same rate as their European counterparts. What?

Hastings: You don't hear that?

Niobrara: (walking around a display and not part of the conversation yet) I just learned the real reason why Native American tribes didn't develop technology at the same rate as their European counterparts. What?

Ainsworth: That was bizarre.

Chadron: Spooky even.

Hastings: Suddenly, I feel as though Scooby Do and the gang will emerge around the corner any minute now.

Keya Paha: (to Niobrara) I just said that.

Lincoln: The flute sounds Native American.

Platte: I'm hearing it too, now.

Scottsbluff: (walking around yet another display and not part of the conversation yet) My armor has shifted in appearance...from this...to, I don't know what you call it...that breast plate thing that some Native Americans wore as part of, I don't know what...

Hastings: Dances-with-Bluffs adds to the confusing Native theme going on.

Nervous laughter erupts.

Lincoln: Who was it that thought that Humanity was someone's toy or source of amusement?

The Team: Hastings!

Lincoln: Anyone else think that we are currently being led along in some way?

Keya Paha: It's just been too strange.

Hastings: Damn it Jim! I'm a Doctor, not a Puppet!!!

Platte: Just how long have you been waiting to use that line?

Hastings: Awhile, now.

Niobrara: I thought it was kinda funny.

A gust of wind blew through the area...

Lincoln: OK, now I can't be the only one that heard that!

Dodge: I heard 'so did I!!!'

Chadron: I heard that too. It wasn't one of us.

Ainsworth: It had an accent.

Platte: Guys, look at that! Pointing towards an area at the end of an aisle.

Scottsbluff: That's Chimney Rock...

Lincoln: It's almost as if we can step right through that wall and be near it.

Keya Paha: I'll try it.

Keya Paha stepped through and waved the others on to join him...and they did.

Atop Chimney Rock was a man. A Native America man wearing the attire one would expect an Indian to be wearing circa 1876 or thereabouts. The man was playing a flute, until he noticed the Team. The man stepped off of the tip of Chimney Rock and simply floated down to the ground. The Team looked at one another, but no one said anything.

The Man: Suddenly not as talkative as a group of old women!

Lincoln: I think we're still trying to figure out what is going on.

The Man: Have the man with the box search for Coyote and everything to this point might make some sense. The man was pointing towards Platte.

Platte: Well, you're clearly not the animal...

The Man: I can be! The man shifted from man to animal and back to man.

Everyone stepped back. It was instinct and uncertainty.

Platte: Coyote: the trickster God in some Native American tribal lore...I'm guessing.

Coyote: It took time, but I managed to get you to do my bidding...

Part 25:

Lincoln: Your bidding?

Coyote: I told a tall tale and all of the Ancestors were amused.

Keya Paha: So, none of this is really real?

Coyote: It's a matter of belief. Though, you did recover the Spirit Suit.

Scottsbluff: This? (pointing towards his chest.)

Coyote: I've lost it. You've found it. I would like to trade for it.

Scottsbluff: (taking off the chest piece of his armor) How about this for some truth?

Coyote: The truth? I told a story about several warriors. Warriors with character, imagination and potential.

Keya Paha: That's it?

Coyote: My Ancestors were pleased when I showed them your Spirits. It's been far too long since they've seen anything like them...62 years I think.

Platte: I'm with Keya Paha, I want to know what is really going on.

Coyote: Will you each wear the Spirit Suit and go through the Ceremony?

Lincoln: Coyote: the Trickster you said? How do we know this isn't another trick...some sort of lavish deception?

Coyote: Have you lost your sense of adventure?

Hastings: I'll go first, that way I can come back and watch everyone scream and twitch for nothing!

One by one, each of the Team members put on the Spirit Suit and entered the cave at the base of Chimney Rock. Each fully expecting to enter, go through the Ceremony and be reunited with the Team. This is not how it ended. The Spirit Suit put the Team member wearing it whence-so-ever they truly belonged.

Coyote: Are you ready to begin another story?

Lincoln: I am missing some of my Team-mates...

Coyote: They are where they really wanted to be, doing what they really wanted to be doing.

Keya Paha: Won't you at least let us talk about it?

Coyote: Of course.

The remaining members of the Team were standing on the Highway in Rose, Nebraska. Again, right where everything began.

Lincoln: If anyone wants to quit, nows the time to do it.

To a man, everyone agreed to stay on the Team. It was just bizarre, too weird; to abandon right then. However...

Niobrara: How is this Nebraska's business?

Keya Paha: Returning property to its rightful owner...I think.

Hastings: I just want to see where this is going to take us. If we are someone's pet, maybe we're going to get rewarded with some sort cosmic doggie treats or something.

Dodge: I have the feeling that we've been tested more than played with and that to Mr. Coyote; we've passed.

The Team agreed with that assessment. However, it still wasn't clear what meaning or purpose the story had so far. It was as if Coyote was somehow able to blur the lines between fact and fiction. Being the Trickster, it made sense that he had been doing this; but besides a good story-for what purpose?

As the Team stood on the road discussing the situation, they were approached by another Native American man...

The Man: May I speak with you?

Lincoln: I'd be bothered if you didn't.

Platte: I am going to guess: you're Wolf, Coyote's brother?

Wolf: I am.

Keya Paha: Please tell us that you'll be telling us what is going.

Wolf: I can not. That is my brother's role.

Niobrara: Then, what did you want to tell us?

Wolf: My brother will never give you a straight answer. However, since he has tampered with your Spirits in order to retrieve something he should have never lost, he now owes you a major debt.

Hastings: Are our Spirits ok? I mean, we can't have a disturbance in the force.

Even Wolf laughed...

Wolf: Your Spirits are intact. Strong in fact.

Niobrara: Your brother seems to be the type to never give, but always take.

Wolf: The Chief won't let Coyote stay in debt.

Keya Paha: Since we still don't really know what is going on, how do we actually get Coyote to pay his debt and know that he has paid it?

Wolf: Ask him...(At that time Coyote joins the discussion)

Coyote and Wolf morphed into their Canine forms and began to snarl at one another. The stand-off lasted for a few moments, then they morphed back into men.

Coyote: I don't like it when my brother interferes with my fun.

Lincoln: We don't like it when someone tampers with our Spirits!

Coyote: I already gave you an answer. I explored your character, imagination and potential while I got you to do my bidding. For retrieving my Spirit Suit, I'll help you in some way.

Wolf: Before that, the truth!

Coyote: (pointing out to the field) Join me in that tent.

The Brothers and the Team walked out to a very large tent. Coyote motioned for the Team to enter. Therein, they saw themselves unconscious on the ground.

Lincoln: How is this possible?

Coyote: I used your shadows.

Wolf: Make their bodies whole again!

Each Team member became whole again. However, the memories of what really happened were now a part of their consciousness. They lived a dream. Partially their dream-which was born in their imagination and partially Coyote's dream-his goal of retrieving a lost item. The Team happened by when Coyote was trying to determine his next move. In effect, the Team became an amusing tool in which to use.

Hastings: Dear Lord! I'd like to know how their going to write a book that will become a video game out of all that!?!

Lincoln: The lure was secret societies and super-high tech gadgets, wasn't it?

Coyote: (smiling) Perhaps.

Keya Paha: Do those people and those things exist?

Coyote: (smiling) Perhaps.

Niobrara: The dreaming was some sort of prophecy?

Coyote: You've tapped into a part of the Spirit World, Collective Unconscious-as you call it; that you didn't know existed until now.

Wolf: It sounds like you've got some negotiating to do so. The Tribe will be watching...

Niobrara: I'm wondering if we are still in the Hall of Myths or if we have learned that we shouldn't be fooled again.

Coyote: You'll make fine students, if you so wish to be...

Part 26:

Chadron: Something about this whole thing seems honest.

The rest of the Team looked at Chadron with both surprise and curiosity.

Lincoln: Now you're as confusing as Coyote.

Chadron: Don't you feel like we are being watched at the moment? I should have noticed sooner, but look right over there.

Niobrara: I see an open field.

Chadron: I see a fence with a spider's web. Why would a spider be out in the middle of the day?

Keya Paha: Platte, look it up on Pantheon.Org; but I think the spider has a role in Native American Mythology too. I think Chadron is on to something.

Platte spends a few minutes surfing...

Platte: It depends. A maker. A storyteller. And even a trickster. Take your pick.

Lincoln: Chadron, what are you thinking?

Chadron: Throughout this strangeness, three themes have come up time and again. Tests of our character via temptation-gold, technology you name it-was dangled in front of us the whole time. We've interacted with strange people and creatures-as if our imagination was being exercised or tested. Finally, someone was always trying to recruit us. Think about that last one; it has come up a lot.

Hastings: We've been cast in a children's book!!!

Keya Paha: The Spirit World is trying to recruit us for some reason? Is that what you're trying to say.

Chadron and Hastings: Yes!

Keya Paha: I wasn't talking to you Hastings...

Platte: (looking at the spider) What would a spider need with us?

Chadron: I think he's going to tell us.

The fence was swarming with spiders. They were efficiently and quickly writing out words. They used the fence much like we would use a piece of paper. The message was simple and to the point:

The Spiders: Our nations and people will soon face another major invader. Will you protect us?

Lincoln: Invasion?

The Spiders: They will come by ship, but not over water. It will attack us not by land, but from the air.

Keya Paha: Men?

The Spiders: Not men, nor spirits. Rather something else that wants to take our land and our lives.

Niobrara: Can they be killed?

The Spiders: They are mortal, but dangerous and will arrive soon.

Lincoln: Is this fact or fiction?

In a blink of an eye, one of the spiders became a man...

The Spider: Coyote has had his fun. We have found the help we need. The threat is coming. These are the facts. Will you help us?

Lincoln: What about your own warriors?

The Spider: This land is as important to us as it is to you. The last time they invaded your people and our people were divided. We can not continue the legacy of defeat and guilt.

Keya Paha: The invaders were here before?

The Spider: In 1864, by your calendar.

Platte: We've heard that year before during all of this.

Lincoln: I think this concerns us and our mission...I think. Can anyone think of reason not to do this and see where it takes us?

The Team stood silent...

The Team demanded more information about the 'invaders'...

The Spider: Vessels arrive over the land. Creatures the shape of men leap forth and begin hunting. The creatures look like men, but are not men. They are ten times or more, the size of men. They are fast, strong and very sneaky. They seem to have feathers instead of hair and scales instead of skin. Their fingers are like claws and can slice a man into two. They eat anything and everything in their path. It may take an entire war party to kill one.

The Medicine Men have forbidden us to share the tale with outsiders until now. The Medicine Men once believed that these creatures were sent to our lands to punish the nations. However, the time for their return is nearly upon us and our nations and people have grown weak since then...very weak. Many feel the punishment has been earned and they feel resigned to the outcome. In his own way, Coyote-not willing to give up; attempted to find aid. Wolf and I...and the others hope to finish what he started.

The Invaders shall arrive at the end of the year...

The Team listened.

Lincoln: A lot has changed since their last visit.

Keya Paha: I think it should be labeled as 'see it, to believe it' sort of thing.

Lincoln: When...IF they return we will return and regroup here.

The Spider: Thank you.

Part 27:

On a farm, near Rose; Nebraska...

Hayes heard the Team engaging their opponent in the barn. The crashes and screams of close quarter combat were like a magnet. Upon entering, it was clear that it was up to him to turn the tide against the opponent.

The opponent had one of its tentacles embedded into each of the Team members. Surely, each was adrift in nonsensical conversation and twisted imagery while the opponent took the time to try to recover from the initial, very damaging volley.

Hayes charged up and stuck his spear into the opponent's throat. Anything made of this Earth can harm them with ease and great pain-if one's accuracy or closeness can go unchallenged.

Hayes: Snap out of it! FIGHT!!!

Each Team member surged with one last act before falling into unconsciousness.

Ainsworth managed to wrap his bull-whip around the opponent's neck.

Chadron unloaded both barrels of his sawed-off shotgun into the opponent's gut.

Dodge landed an eagle claw into the opponent's right eye.

Keya Paha sliced off several of the opponent's terrifying tentacles.

Hastings slid a syringe of something into one of the four arms of the opponent.

Lincoln emptied his .44 into the opponent's chest.

Niobrara likely emptied a clip before punching his bayonet into the opponent's tail.

Omaha managed to push a pitchfork into the opponent's back.

Platte shattered his laptop over the opponent's tail.

Scottsbluff slid his switchblade into the opponent's tail.

Hayes: You'll be okay...I'll call the medics. You'd better be okay, this thing was only a baby!

Later, in the comfort and safety of the hospital; each recounted their 'Tentacle induced Tale'. None have ever done LSD before, but certainly; their few seconds under the influence of the opponent's poison was akin to that or worse. It was a bizarre, nightmarish trip and they had a hard time believing that they were on it for only a few seconds...it felt like days.

And they didn't know what was about to follow and if they had been told, they might not believe it...