Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Chris Goodwin

What it says on the tin. What kinds of things would you like to see addressed? Specifically:

• What kind of rules? (Hero System vehicle rules, updated and rewritten Robot Warriors rules, new rules)

• What kinds of campaigns? (Realistic military, superpowered Champions-style robot heroes, others)

• What scope would you like to see it cover? (Full genre book, mini-genre a la Post-Apocalyptic Hero, all-in-one a la Lucha Hero)

• Something I haven't mentioned.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

I would say that mecha would qualify as a sub-genre of a hypothetical Anime Hero book but if all the major sections of Anime were covered then you would have an unfeasibly massive book. Perhaps just a book that allows one to inject an anime 'flavour' into other source-books.

On the subject of Mecha. Gritty military settings are a must, possibly with a new stat for angst thrown in. :ugly:

Mecha battles as a sport are also cool. Steamtech and Fantasy mecha would be welcome. Mecha law enforcement should be covered, if only briefly.

Mecha pilots as superheroes would also seem to make sense for the Hero system and if you are going to do something based on anime then you need some over the top super powered silliness. Fear the 'Love-Love Sekiha Tenkyo Punch!'

And of course a hero setting or two for mecha or their inclusion in existing ones would be excellent.

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Oh' date=' c'mon, Chris, do I have to go through all this again? SERIOUSLY?[/quote']

Hee hee. Just wanted to have a little more focussed discussion in one place about it. I can go back through the other thread....

sadly I dont have the time to post what I would like to see done right now, I tend more towards the battletech style of mecha than some of the anime stuff, protoculture, ,mechs powered by giant extension cords? no thanks, I prefer my giant tin samurai to be a little closer to realistic.

anyhow, if you want help writing it etc.. I can send you my assorted conversion notes

Gee, I didn't think this would get this far when I first wrote the thread about a mecha handbook...

Unfortunatly, as I'm kinda new to the system, I cannot ask for somethin more precise. Be assured that I'll keep a steady eye on what's going on here...:thumbup:

According to Wikipedia, in anime there are two major mecha genres: "real robot" and "super robot". Real robots tend to have realistic fuel, ammunition and repair requirements, are used more as vehicles or tools, and tend to have more military style adventures, while super robots are a little more fantastic; they tend to call out their attacks, have more wild energy attacks, and the like, and they tend to get into more superheroic kinds of adventures. If I were going to follow typical Hero Games style and nomenclature, I'd probably call them "low" and "high" respectively.

Gee' date=' I didn't think this would get this far when I first wrote the thread about a mecha handbook...[/quote']

Heh, you didn't count on me. :) The first incarnation of my Robot Warriors to Hero System document was over 10 years ago....

what I'd like to see

both low and hi mecha genres

also giving discussion on how to fit in various other genres(PA,Supers,Cyberpunk,Steampunk,Star hero,Galactiic hero.....)

also size considerations

effects of having a high PSI with such a small footprint compared to other vehicles on anything other than being on an jumbo jet runway

what I'd like to see

also size considerations

effects of having a high PSI with such a small footprint compared to other vehicles on anything other than being on an jumbo jet runway

The Ultimate Vehicle actually covers this situation quite nicely. When I get home I'll give a page number where the rule can be found.

Re: Bibliography

So what are some good things to check out? I'm a Robot Warriors (and to some extent Battletech) player from way back' date=' and a pretty decent system guy, but my anime knowledge is a bit lacking.[/quote']

Go watch some decent Gundam. That usually seems to focus on relatively gritty military anime, (although often with super powered attacks as well), but has some silly martial arts style stuff as well.

Go watch some decent Gundam. That usually seems to focus on relatively gritty military anime' date=' (although often with super powered attacks as well), but has some silly martial arts style stuff as well.[/quote']

Coolness. I should have been more specific. Full titles? I know there's like half a dozen Gundam series... are some better than others? All good?

For ridiculous over the top martial arts mecha you might want to watch the oh so tasteful Mobile Fighter G Gundam. That has mecha of all nations competing to win their country the right to rule space for the four years until the next tournament. Seriously odd in places, one mecha rides a mech-horse and Holland's entry is shaped like a windmill.

Gundam Seed is quite good as an angsty war-mecha series, though still not especially realistic.

Those are the two I have seen all the way through. Gundam wing is supposed to be pretty cool as well.

I'd say just look at the description on wikipedia or wherever and decide what sounds useful.

My thoughts for a Mech Hero book assume that it would be written as a subgenre book after the fashion of PAH:

1. Start with the first part of TUV Chapter 6 (Mecha Basics), and expand as necessary including material from TUV Chapter 1 and other books, including adaptations from Robot Warriors when something isn't already covered in a 5th Edition rulebook.

2. Discuss in general terms the types of mecha campaigns. They're not just the mech-and-pilot stories you might assume, with "real robot" (low mech) and "super robot" (high mech). Sentient mecha (of which Transformers is merely the most familiar) and superhero mecha (of which Power Rangers are the most familar) are also rather distinctive. And as I mentioned in that other thread, Godzilla has had to face a mechanical foe or two, combining mecha with gaiju.

3. Include, PAH-style, a mini-campaign setting based on each style of campaign under discussion (that would be five by my count).

4. An appendix with mechanics conversions from Robot Warriors would be welcome, of course, though if it was an official DOJ-produced publication I doubt we'd see that happen.

Okay. This is by no means either exhaustive or comprehensive, but here (without having reviewed the thread, and now that I'm more in a frame of mind to do it) is my core list of things that I need to see in a proper, new, "Giant Robot" esque book. Bear in mind: This book would NOT just be for giant robots, but would contain all new scaling rules that could optionally be applied to TUV. I don't see one replacing the other; more like part 1 & part 2. Makes a great bundle, get one for your family, now go away kid, ya bother me.

* Scaling. Issue one, for me, is a sense of scale and damage. Hard & fast rules for how small arms affect larger, or more heavily armored objects. A clean distinction between 'vehicle class guns' beyond dice of damage and infantry weapons.

* Completely revamped Robot/Vehicle construction rules. Once I got my skull around how the weapons and damage class/size whatever worked in Robot Warriors, I really liked it. I'd like to see it revised and updated officially to 5ER.

* Pre-built weapons & gear to the new rules; much like UEP adds to and redefines "Energy Blast" and "RKA," I'd like to see the new equipment rules folded into the existing rules, so "Vehicle Class Armor" interacts properly.

* New foot-print and damage sectional rules for vehicle combat. My 60mm Machine Guns aren't going to be as effective, even with the same dice, as a weapon with a 7 Hex footprint. This needs reflected in the rules.

* Likely various flavors of mech; with proper scaling we can see all new Power Armor designs, as well as EVA designs (giant, monstrous, living mecha).

I'll post more as I think of it (as I always do; my mind is now working on this).

Coolness. I should have been more specific. Full titles? I know there's like half a dozen Gundam series... are some better than others? All good?

See also Robotech, especially the Shadow War, which was excellent. Neon Genesis Evangelion has over-sized robots and angsty teen pilots and a really queer ending, but it incorporates that strange religion/war thing that the Japanese seem to thrive on.

Games include: Xenogears, Xenosaga I-III, and the Front Mission series; Front Mission 3 is available on the PS One; FM 4 on the PS2, Front Mission (re-released edition) on the Nintendo DS. Armored Core is available on the PS One, PS2 and Xbox 360 in one iteration or another, but the "best" one was the original for the PS One.

Of course, there's also the MechWarrior series (1 & 2) available on the Xbox, but it's more an action title that uses Giant Robots and shouldn't be mistaken for an actual mech simulator. There IS a MechSimulator on the original Xbox, the name of which I've now forgotten. Came with a 200 button controller. :ugly:

Guest Major Tom

For ridiculous over the top martial arts mecha you might want to watch the oh so tasteful Mobile Fighter G Gundam. That has mecha of all nations competing to win their country the right to rule space for the four years until the next tournament. Seriously odd in places, one mecha rides a mech-horse and Holland's entry is shaped like a windmill.

Gundam Seed is quite good as an angsty war-mecha series, though still not especially realistic.

Those are the two I have seen all the way through. Gundam wing is supposed to be pretty cool as well.

I'd say just look at the description on wikipedia or wherever and decide what sounds useful.

I still remember the one from Mobile Fighter G Gundam that I (personally)

refer to as Pretty Super Sailor Gundam (the Nobel Gundam, IIRC).

For some really over-the-top superheroic-type mecha, there's at least two

of the Voltron mechas that fill the bill: the lion-form Voltron (the episodes

of which, if I'm not mistaken, are currently being run on weekend late-night on

the Cartoon Network), and the 15-vehicle combiner which was also called Voltron

(Japanese show title: Dairuggar 15, IIRC).

In addition, there are also a number of super-mecha that were (at least by the

Mattel toy company) collectively known as the Shogun Warriors -- Mazinga,

Raideen, Combatra-V, and others whose names I can't recall at this time.

Major Tom :dyn

So what are some good things to check out? I'm a Robot Warriors (and to some extent Battletech) player from way back' date=' and a pretty decent system guy, but my anime knowledge is a bit lacking.[/quote']

I really like your dichotomy; it's simple and effective.

For low mecha material, I strongly suggest you to watch the first two Patlabor movies: Patlabor the Movie and Patlabor 2 the Movie. The series are good, too, Mobile Police Patlabor and Mobile Police Patlabor TV series and P series, but less serious, more comedic. The movies are a must.

For high mech genre, some Go Nagai series might be necessary, even though it may be painfull to admit and watch... Go Nagai is the autor who built the genre's conventions, even though his stuff is pretty crapie. Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger, Grendizer might be necessary. I think there is a new one called Mazin Saga, but I do not know what it is like.

Like TH said, Neon Genesis Evangelion is great stuff for high mech style, even though I don't agree with him about the end...;) For games, Mech Commander is set in the same universe than Mech Warrior, but it is a strategy game where you manage a crew of pilots and a squadron of mecha with all the equipment and stuff. Pretty good for strategy lovers, like me...

I'd place Gundanm Wings more in high mecha style. I didn't find it really gritty on a tactical scale, not very realistic (well, I didn't see all of them and I don't remember wich one I did, but, anyway...).

What I'd want to see in a book like this? Pieces, engines, frames, armor, weapons, etc. I want to be able to design a whole mech by choosing parts of it in a catalog. Some designed models could also be available, of course. A frame gives a fixed amount of space, and each part as a space requirement. There could be rules and guidelines too to cover how to design new parts. As I am a new Hero player, it sounds great to me to be able to build something without having to go through all the technicalities of the system, than come here and ask a lot of questions about things I don't understand, having to sort through all the different answers (hey, I very appreciate you, guys, for your efforts to help me, but, well, it takes a lot of time to be helped!;)). I feel also that designing could become a part of the game as fun as any other (roleplay, design, combat, roleplay, etc).

Well, I took me a lot of time this write this, again. Now I gotta go. I wish you all a god damn lot of roleplay during chrismas time! Have fun !:)

Like TH said' date=' [i']Neon Genesis Evangelion[/i] is great stuff for high mech style, even though I don't agree with him about the end...;)

Okay. What part of this:

The ending effectively revolves around the premise that a little boy has to grow up -- and all of this is at least, in part, in his head and he finds himself buck-naked at the beginning (or end?) of the universe while a naked red-headed bitch says "I hate you."

Did you not find freaking weird?

That minor derail aside; I think that the man makes a great point. This would be a great opportunity (niche or not, "dead" or not; Giant Robots don't die, they just go in for repairs) to create a book with a ton of pre-built material so that even a newer HERO player could dive in, piece the blocks together to make a Giant Robot, and then the second half of the book gets into the technical side of it. i.e.,

Chapter 1: Look, Giant Robots

Chapter 2: Things that go Boom in the Night; Mechanics & Equipment for building Giant Robots in the HERO Universe

Chapter 3: Grease Monkeys Unite! Rules for designing equipment

Chapter 4: Roleplaying in a Mechanized World

Chapter 5: GM Section, evil pilots, plot seeds, and a 'pocket adventure' to get the group started.

That'll easily fill a full book.

Okay. What part of this:

The ending effectively revolves around the premise that a little boy has to grow up -- and all of this is at least, in part, in his head and he finds himself buck-naked at the beginning (or end?) of the universe while a naked red-headed bitch says "I hate you."

Did you not find freaking weird?

Are you tlaking about the end in the movies or in the series? I didn't liked the movies; they just go to the same point, but less effectively. For me, it stops with the serie.

Ha... I have a lot more to say, but I don't know how to cover it up like you did with this spoiler button (wich, by the way, I find is a great invension for human kind. How many time did I get punches ruined out??? HOW MANY??? HAARRRGGGG!!!!!:ugly:)

Herr... Well, I'll be happy to discuss it when I learn how not to scrap people's pleasure. Have fun!