Dallas Game Store Problems

ultrium

A couple of idiots spoiled the board for you.

Personally, i skipped over the thread because I thought it was another of those my FLGS can't get SAS in threads.

The stores that say Tri Tac and R. Tal and other small press companies are dead and won't try to special order anything.

That nonsense only contaminates the General Discussion-SAS board.

Originally posted by ShinDangaioh

I've also played a lot of games, but have came to the conclusion that no game can handle it all. I can't see Hero handling a game with Buggs Bunny, Daffy Duck and ilk as main characters.(That falls to Teenagers from Outer Space and Toon to handle)

Amen. Hero is a wonderful system for what it is. It's about as close to universal as it gets, even more than GURPS. But, there are a few systems that work better for specific genres. Sometimes it is the game mechanics that assist the genre.

Hero has two main sticking points. The low level (normals) game can be plagued with a feeling of sameness. The characters all seem to pretty much be way too close to each other statwise. This is partially because the mechanics of the system dictate certain stats work best at the breakpoints like 13/18 for Int and 11/14/17/20 for Dex. It also partially a side effect of having a system with such a wide spread of stats for the supers game (when you're going to have to accomidate Str 75 or Dex 38) that it tends to jam the lower end stats closer together.

If you want an excellent, blow-by-blow superhero combat simulation, then there is no other choice than Hero. This level of detail though seems to detract from the free flowing, high intensity pace of comic book battles. The lack of some sort of karma-like system (Okay, you can use one of the luck options, but I've found that one kind of grainy) slaps you in the face with the iron gauntlet of harsh reality instead of the pure wild lucky break common in the medium we're attempting to simulate.

I still love Hero, but there are some games for which it isn't the right choice.

Gundam being the obvious example of something Hero isn't the best system for a certain genre.

R.Tal didn't liscence Gundam for their Mekton game. BanDai liscenced the Mekton System for their Japanese Gundam RPG. :)

That is an abberation in the RPG world.

I can see Hero handling something like Grandizer or Gaiking, but Macross, Orguss, Southern Cross, Mosepeda, Gundam, Dragonar, Patlabor, etc. are better served by a dedicated system.

Hero players are elitists? Take a look at rec.games.mecha. All non-mechwarrior stuff got flamed away. Mekton went to a mailing list. Mecha! and Robotech are pretty much non-existant, and as to GoO's stuff, they stick to their own lists and boards.

I really hope this Texas nonsense blows over. It's hurting both companies.