New Pulp Hero Game on Hero Central

mallet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New Pulp Hero Game on Hero Central

I decided to forgo Powers as I'm still indecisive about powers' date='( as seen with Riff).

I've only played one pulp game before myself, and that was for only one session. :) But I do remember that maybe one in every bunch of pulp characters had any kind of powers. The Shadow is the only one that comes to mind and he had only one power. The rest were like Indiana Jones and Jake Cutter (From Tales of the Golden Monkey). So, enter Hank. :)

It's true that most of them didn't have powers but then look at people like the human rocket, with his rocket pack (I believe he had a radio serial-IIRC) there was also one called "the spider", and don't forget the green hornet, and some of the old style JSA'ers-- Hourman, Sandman, Hawkman, Dr. Midnight, Adam Strange-- started out as essentially pulp characters. So powers can be in genre.

More important is the gritty feel of the heroes when you gnash them between your teeth.

I decided to forgo Powers as I'm still indecisive about powers' date='( as seen with Riff).

I've only played one pulp game before myself, and that was for only one session. :) But I do remember that maybe one in every bunch of pulp characters had any kind of powers. The Shadow is the only one that comes to mind and he had only one power. The rest were like Indiana Jones and Jake Cutter (From Tales of the Golden Monkey). So, enter Hank. :)

...as long as the GM supports powers, because I don't think I can build a four-armed Plutonian without them...

It's true that most of them didn't have powers but then look at people like the human rocket, with his rocket pack (I believe he had a radio serial-IIRC) there was also one called "the spider", and don't forget the green hornet, and some of the old style JSA'ers-- Hourman, Sandman, Hawkman, Dr. Midnight, Adam Strange-- started out as essentially pulp characters. So powers can be in genre.

More important is the gritty feel of the heroes when you gnash them between your teeth.

Oh, I don't disagree, except for maybe the Green Hornet. Though I guess his power would be Kato. :D

That does bring up one thing. Is equipment purchased using points or cash? Don't think it came up yet.

Any more interested parties wanting to apply?

I was going to keep accepting apps up until the 10th, but if no one else is interested I might wrap it up early.

If you are interested, but don't have the time right now, just post saying so, so I'll know to wait.

I'm in no rush here so I don't mind waiting, but if no other apps are coming in then we can move on with character creation.

I'm working on something right now that should fit the Mysterious Foreign Martial Artist for the group. May take a couple of days, though.

Wow. So far we have a Semi-Freedom Fighting Immigrant Pilot, a Literal Underground Reporter, a Sword-Swinging Former Concubine-to-be on the run,and a Shadowy Smack Talking Street Brawler.

We are the:

Conference of Eclectic Trouble-Makers:D

Let's see what the rest of the folks come up with....

Eclectic Trouble-Makers:D

This sounds like a Ronco product doesn't it? Of course almost anything in a huge type face sounds like a Ronco product if you say it with breathless enthusiasm.

We run on Eclectricity, that strange force which is generated by the strange farce interference of rapidly rotating bi-polar personalities.

For your consideration

Lord Victor Alexander Seymour

Background:

Born in December of 1959, Lord Victor Alexander Seymour was the youngest of the ten children of Francis George Hugh Seymour, 5th Marquess of Hertford and the Lady Emily Murray. The blood of the Plantagenets shown through clearly in Victor as a young man. Physically fit, and mentally sharp, Victor dedicated himself early on to the service and cause of Great Britain. He served in the field during both the first and second Boer Wars. In 1903 he began doing ‘unofficial’ covert work for the Admiralty across Europe and Africa. He was heavily involved in the formation of the Secret Service Bureau in 1909 and at the beginning of the War to End All Wars he helped put together the organization and training regimen for the Directorate of Military Intelligence Section 6. Disinterested in day to day operations he immediately volunteered to be MI6’s first field operative, having considerable combat and covert experience he was immediately accepted and given a code number. The Directorate had expected that the total number of field operatives would eventually be more than 100 but never greater than 1000, Victor was assigned number 001.

Throughout the Great War, Victor operated all across Europe but mostly in Germany. At the war’s end he was horrified by the terms of the Treaty of Versailles; recognising that in the short term it would punish the people of Germany rather than it’s government and in the long term give rise to something far more dangerous. In 1920 he resigned his commision and began traveling the world spending much time in the Americas.

Description:

Standing at 6’1” with dirty blond hair, clear blue eyes, a strong chin and a muscular build, few people would suspect that Lord Seymour is actually a man of xx years. Always impeccibly dressed, with a bowler and walking stick, Victor is the very model of a British gentleman.

Abilities:

Competent with firearms, fencing and fisticuffs. Speaks several languages, including German idiomatically, and comfortable moving within almost any social circle. Victor is an old school gentleman, never looking ruffled, dirty or out of place and capable of taking the measure of a man with a handshake and a steely gaze. Victor also keeps a handful of ‘tricks’ up his sleeve from the old days.

Wow. So far we have a Semi-Freedom Fighting Immigrant Pilot' date=' a Literal Underground Reporter, a Sword-Swinging Former Concubine-to-be on the run,and a Shadowy Smack Talking Street Brawler.[/quote']

You're forgetting the Plutonian Gunslinging Mechanic.

I'm not even kidding.

Hey guys,

Keep the ideas coming. With the new interest I'll keep the app stage open until the 10th like planned.

There is still no need to build your characters yet, since the final rules, point totals, etc... haven't been desided on yet.

If you already have, that's fine, but you should be ready to change/redo them once the final team has been desided upon and the final guidelines are set.

I can say that all regular gear (guns, et al.) will be "free" as in bought with money/resource points. Any special equipment (stuff that is "part of the character") should be bought with CP's (like a "Jet-Rocket backpack"; "Super fast car"; "Plutonian Atomic Death-Ray Gun" ; "BATerangs"; etc...)

The rest of the guidelines will come later, but I will say that I am a BIG fan of the Heroic talents found in the main Pulp Book and in Dark Champions.

...as long as the GM supports powers' date=' because I don't think I can build a four-armed Plutonian without them...[/quote']

This will be a "Low Powered SUPERHERO" game. So low-level powers are not only allowed, but fully supported.

Just stay away from the "flashy" non-genre stuff. Like I posted above Heroic-talents are great for the setting.

I can say that all regular gear (guns, et al.) will be "free" as in bought with money/resource points. Any special equipment (stuff that is "part of the character") should be bought with CP's (like a "Jet-Rocket backpack"; "Super fast car"; "Plutonian Atomic Death-Ray Gun" ; "BATerangs"; etc...)

The rest of the guidelines will come later, but I will say that I am a BIG fan of the Heroic talents found in the main Pulp Book and in Dark Champions.

Well, It's a good thing I already paid points for Olga.

BTW, I need a bit of assist with building Hank's Plane. The point amount I set up is 80 pts with 75 pts of disadvantages. I've never designed a Hero vehicle before so I need help.

I want to adapt these stats for Olga(they're D6 stats copied from here.):

Craft: The Sea Duck

Type: Modified Conwing L-16

Scale: Aircraft

Length: 75 feet

Skill: Aircraft piloting: Conwing L-16

Crew: 1-2

Crew Skill: See Baloo and Kit Cloudkicker

Passengers: 4

Cargo Capacity: 8,000 lbs.

Cost: $50,000 (used)

Top Speed: 230 mph

Maneuverability: 2D

Weapons: None

Hull: 4D+1

Hey guys,

I don't have either of those books :help:(Heck, I don't even have a 5th ed. Book. Cash flow and all that.) but I've always been a fan of the players saying. "Okay this is what I want to do." and the GM saying. "Okay, In my game, this is how you do it."

I don't have either of those books :help:(Heck' date=' I don't even have a 5th ed. Book. Cash flow and all that.) but I've always been a fan of the players saying. "Okay this is what I want to do." and the GM saying. "Okay, In my game, this is how you do it."[/quote']

No worries guys. That's totally fine. I'm happy with helping with the builds, etc...

When we get to that point we can talk stuff over and make it work.