'70s TV Supers

wrestlinggeek

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: '70s TV Supers

Which is why we have Hero Central.

I've tried to run a couple games on HC, but it never seemed to work for me. Play-by-post just doesn't mesh with my style. I tried to run a play-by-chat game once, but couldn't find a time when everyone could log on at the same time. No, what I really need is a face-to-face game.

This is important... It never became in vogue for cards to become front-wheel drive. A cra can be stopped from driving off by lifting the rear end of the car off the ground.

I can easily imagine a superhero of that era transported to the present. He smugly grabs the rear bumper of a modern car to prevent the bank-robbers from getting away... and is promptly dragged down the street as the wheel-man floors it.

"What-the...?" :confused::eek:

Of course as far as "feel" goes you run into the problem that a fundamental structural element of the shows was that you didn't have more than one hero working together as more than a guest star except for Michael Knight's gig as Kitt's sidekick. That way they could be outnumbered without an actual army of mundane goons. So if you've got a solo game it works fine but if you've got an actual play group...

In the live action shows yes, but remember, there were more than a few cartoons of the same era that featured superhero teams. And while the power level of those characters was significantly higher than that of their live-action counterparts, the storytelling style, themes, plots, and ideals shown were significantly similar.

• 8 months later...

So is the Bigfoot of the "Bionic" universe compatible with the Bigfoot of Sid and Marty Kroft's "Bigfoot and Wildboy"?

SASQUATCH was an alien robot that was used to frighten campers from a hidden compound used by alien explorers in the california mountans.

col. steve austin discovered it while investigatind the disapperance of two government scientist kidnaped by the masters of the robot sasquatch [named after the native american term for the creature]

BIGFOOT on the other hand was a living creature who teamed up with an abandoned orphan aside from physical appearance i dout there is any connection

Guest Major Tom

As long as we're talking '70s-type movie/TV superheroes, let's go ahead and

add Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl and Exo-Man to the mix, as

examples of tech-based superheroes from that time period.

Major Tom :dyn

I'm pretty sure if they did the character today' date=' it would probably be [i']The Six Billion Dollar Man.[/i] I mean, he was a government project, and you know how over-inflated those prices get.

"I know we spend thousands on toilet seats, but now we've paid how much to replace this astronaut's @$$h*le with a robotic rectum?"

• 1 year later...

Strength probably caps off around 50 at most; everything the Hulk, Steve Austin or Wonder Woman lifted had to be movable on a 70s TV SFX budget. The exception would be live action giant characters from the period (Ultraman, Ambasador Magma, Inframan, etc; though while those shows were on air in the 60s-70s, many were set in an imagined version of the 1990s), if you choose to allow them at all. Personally, I love the idea of Steve Austin and Diana Prince in America while Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong have to deal with constant giant monster attacks. :)

Wonder Woman might be a bit stronger than that, though reluctant to use her STR to full effect on most foes; I recall her stopping a tank cold in one episode.

The modern TV Darna is a real pain to stat. In one episode she picks up two tree trunks in a lumber camp, and fights with them as if they were escrima sticks. Fun, goofy CGI. They must weigh something like 1000 pounds each, and she shows no strain at all. In other episodes, she seems to have trouble breaking the grip of an ordinary thug, at least for a second or two.

Insane stat flux is always part of Serial Fiction characters with multiple writers, but it gets really bad with some TV series.

I'm seriously considering the STR Slot in MP answer, but I've never really liked using that.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, this kind of reminds me of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the 1970s.

I'd like to do it for the 80s, given that I am in that age cohort. The group could have, let's see, Knight Rider, one of the Misfits of Science, the Fall Guy, McGyver, and the kid from Back to the Future. Plus, of course, Manimal.

Was the Man from Atlantis 1970s?

Vestnik, have you seen this?

I can easily imagine a superhero of that era transported to the present. He smugly grabs the rear bumper of a modern car to prevent the bank-robbers from getting away... and is promptly dragged down the street as the wheel-man floors it.

"What-the...?" :confused::eek:

Oh man, now THERE'S a game concept. Make some of the characters be displaced 70s era heroes in the modern world Austin Powers-style, with the others grittier ones native to the current campaign setting.