A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Shadowsoul

Hi everyone.

Recent gaming events have reminded me of a setting I came up with a while ago. I might run a Hero Central game with it next year and I thought I’d test the waters

It’s a curious blend of fantasy, horror and post-apocalyptic. Basically the story is set in a High Fantasy world during the aftermath of one of those cataclysmic wars that occasionally assail fantasy worlds and could be mistaken for a sort of apocalypse. Effectively everything went to hell in hand-basket. If you want to skip the long version then just ignore the stuff in italics.

There was no single cause of this catastrophe unless one lays all the blame on the preceding conflict ‘The Mage Wars’. This terrible war shook the civilised world to its very core and so excited the flow of magic that for many years afterwards sorcery would be a more unstable and destructive art and the channels it tapped were often darker than before.

In the final days of the Mage Wars the two mightiest wizards of the era faced off and destroyed one another in a cataclysmic duel that rocked the very land itself and shattered the ultimate expressions of magic – The Great Barriers. These were mystical bindings that had been kept in place for centuries and were used to keep the various forces of evil quiescent. With their failure many horrors were unleashed upon the world. Varakus Bane, Master of Life-in-Death, marched his rotting hordes out of the island continent that had been his home and prison for many millennia. The Bloodlords, Kings among Vampires, stirred in their ancient tombs and came forth once again. The Beast-Masters slipped their bonds and unleashed a flood of tainted werelings upon the kingdoms of man. And even the fearsome hordes of the barbaric Yontai left the blasted archipelago to which they had been banished and sailed the seas on demon winds to bring destruction to the lands of civilised races.

The land already groaned beneath the reality-warping effects of the Mage Wars and its peoples were divided and fractious. Mystical conflagrations, storms and earthquakes moved ahead of the invaders and warring factions tried to take advantage of the chaos. As mighty magical forces battled once again the fabric of the world itself was torn and demons poured in or were invited by ambitious mages; beasts both mundane and legendary were tainted by the unleashed powers of magic and went incurably berserk while the ever opportunistic Trollkin roamed the land seemingly at will.

One by one the civilised nations of the world fell.

It seemed that this was the final showdown between Good and Evil and Good lost. However the armies of Evil did not win as such. The goodly peoples put up a tremendous fight and of course the various invading factions had no interest in cooperating; in the end no army retained enough power to claim any kind of victory. The Trickster God is known to have survived the final conflict and some wonder if his hand was in the various factional disputes that destroyed the forces of darkness even as they tore the kingdoms of the world to shreds.

Bane’s body was destroyed by holy relics and mighty rituals were enacted to shatter his very soul and prevent his resurrection. But the assassins were a cabal of powerful vampires who had sacked a grand temple in order to gain the items they needed. Those Lords of the Night that survived the battle with Bane then fell to fighting murderously over his body with its precious and oh so powerful blood. The legions of the undead dissolved into turmoil, some wandered aimlessly, others were commanded by lesser necromancers with smaller ambitions. And with all the world to fight over the Blood-Lords found that their old alliances were far weaker than they had once been.

The Yonsai were more or less wiped off the face of the planet by warriors desperately fighting to save their homelands and monsters who wanted those lands for themselves. Those few tattered remnants that remained found that their blood-hungry deity spoke to them no more; even gods perished in this war to end all wars.

And the Beast-Masters had never claimed to be in control of their wereling offspring to begin with. Nor were the werekind, scattered and without strategy, any more successful at surviving the chaos than anyone else.

Although the bodycount was not as high as in a standard PA Earth setting the combination of magical disasters, incredibly bloody wars, mystical plagues and general famine and chaos served to destroy most of the population.

The great villains and heroes of the age mostly contrived to kill each other off and in the end there were no victors, only survivors picking through the rubble.

And so with the melodramatic intro over we come to the present day and the point of all this.

Almost a hundred years has passed since the final great battle of that apocalyptic age ended. The world lies in ruins, humanity and other sentient races huddle together in paranoid little villages and hideaways while monsters of all kinds stalk through the wilderness. The powers of magic grant some people weird gifts and turn others into bizarre mutants. Some savants have carved new technologies out of the magical wilderness while others desperately preserve older practices. New creatures wander out of the wasteland. And of course there are still sorcerers, vampires, werelings and other dangerous beings stalking the land.

However, the campaign itself focuses on a new hope, (if you will forgive the Star Warsism). A visionary leader has cobbled together a group of allies who intend to roll back the darkness bit by bit and restore peace to the wounded land; their working title is New Dawn. This group have their headquarters in a secluded valley attended by an order of nature worshippers who survived the final wars. They also include a group of mage-artificers and the only Order Militant of the old gods to make it to the present day.

New Dawn is recruiting an army with which to redeem the land and to this end they will accept anyone who sincerely wishes to help or who at least is not planning on betraying them; even monsters such as vampires are accepted into the fold so long as they restrain their darker impulses. On the flipside of this generosity is the vengeance of the Templars of the Order Militant against those who betray New Dawn and the magical tracker amulets issued to all agents that monitor the spiritual state of their wearers, (basically a kind of alignment alarm).

The PC’s would take the role of newly recruited agents who have been gathered together into a team and dispatched to further the cause of New Dawn. Since they would probably be playing beings of considerable power the points level would be around 250.

Although the focus would be on battling evil there would be quite a lot of dealing with internal tensions and the justifiable paranoia of most NPC’s the party meets. Why should the villagers trust a Werewolf after all? For that matter why should the Templar accompanying the Were trust him enough to refrain from smiting him out of hand?

There are other aspects of this world and other character options but for the moment the possible list includes.

Just about any kind of mage you can think of.

Mutants. Both X-Men style and grizzly PA style.

Extremely talented ‘norms’. Basically warriors, assassins, diplomats etc with high characteristics and/or super-skills.

Psychics.

Vampires.

Shapeshifters. (Werelings).

Demon-tainted or Demonkin.

Undead.

Priests.

Holy Knights.

Artificers and inventors using mystical technology.

Inhuman races of various kinds.

So. Any thoughts? Any interest?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

The level of darkness is somewhat negotiable.

The PC's will be dealing with horrific enemies and they will as often as not be greeted by fear rather than gratitude from those they help.

But although the world is pretty screwed up there is a very definite sense that New Dawn can improve things. It will take centuries, perhaps millenia, maybe even forever, to heal the world but the PC's will be able to make a difference, they will be able to start something that could redeem the world.

But although the world is pretty screwed up there is a very definite sense that New Dawn can improve things. It will take centuries' date=' perhaps millenia, maybe even forever, to heal the world but the PC's will be able to make a difference, they will be able to start something that could redeem the world.[/quote']

That's what I wanted to hear! :thumbup:

It's very early days yet.

Basically I've realised that once I leave University I'll have a lot of trouble finding any kind of roleplaying group, particularly one that plays Hero.

So I might well start up a campaign based in this world over Hero Central to make up for not being able to go down to my rpging society every wednesday. Since the academic year is only half way done this won't be happening for another four months.

In the mean-time if anyone would like to make suggestions, talk about character concepts or admit to being possibly interested in joining then that would be great. But there is no rush at present. ;)

It’s a curious blend of fantasy, horror and post-apocalyptic. Basically the story is set in a High Fantasy world during the aftermath of one of those cataclysmic wars that occasionally assail fantasy worlds and could be mistaken for a sort of apocalypse. Effectively everything went to hell in hand-basket. If you want to skip the long version then just ignore the stuff in italics.

Looks like somebody has been playing Guild Wars online.

Actually I've heard that Guild Wars is based on skill rather than amassing levels, that sounds too much like hard work.

There is an element of truth to your claims however, I think what sparked my memory into action was playing Hellgate London, a decent Diablo clone set in the aforementioned city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellgate:_London

In the mean-time if anyone would like to make suggestions' date=' talk about character concepts or admit to being possibly interested in joining then that would be great. But there is no rush at present. ;)[/quote']

I'd like to play, but there's just so many choices, it would be hard to play just one in that type of setting.

Is there going to be rules for being near a weakpoint of reality, or a local reality zenith? "Don't be doing too much here, too quickly, you might set off a manulanche (mana-avalanche). You don't want to deal with shifting paradigms, do you?" :eek:

Actually I've heard that Guild Wars is based on skill rather than amassing levels, that sounds too much like hard work.

Actually its a very good game, with a great learning curve. Trust me it's easier than grinding 60+ levels for 14:95 a month, but at this point I'd wait for GW2 next year.

A bit more detail on the world.

Continents.

There are, (or were), three landmasses that could be considered continents on this world before the fall; although they were of wildly differing sizes.

The super-continent of Eretria is the main setting for the campaign and the party would do well to explore even half of it. It spread from temperate forests and plains to arid steppes and deserts and even a few jungles along certain island chains associated with it. Cultures here resembled European Medieval to Renaissance style areas, countries corresponding to the Near and Middle Eastern and Africanesque tribes and civilisations.

The far smaller continent of Tuan generally had a more East Asian flavour with monks and martial artist being quite common.

The island continent known in recent history as the Doom-Lands was the abode of the master of Life-In-Death himself Varakus Bane and the sophisticated aboriginal civilisations that once lived their had been exterminated even before the fall.

Post fall climate and geography have been considerably altered and may differ wildly within a comparatively small area.

There were a few archipelagos and island chains as well but their continued existence is a matter of conjecture only.

As to the fate of civilisation on the continents.

Eretria has been reduced to rubble as I noted above and suffered the most from the reality warping effects of unleashed magic.

Tuan was not affected by the Mage Wars and was only invaded by the Yonsai and the hordes of Varakus Bane. Indeed civilisation would probably have survived on that continent if most of the population had not succumbed to five terrible plagues. Now it is a land of ghosts and demons and terrified survivors.

Ironically the Doom-Lands may be more habitable now than before the fall. Bane has been destroyed and those undead creatures that remain in his fallen realm are without direction. The geography of this place, both prior to and after the fall is unknown.

Races.

New races may have been created by the cataclysm but if so then they await discovery. (This means that if someone wants to play something weird that I haven’t worked into the world then it is possible that they could be fitted in).

Humans. By far the most common race before the fall and still not doing too badly in comparison to most other races that survived the fall.

Eldren. Also known as Sages or High Ones. A kind of sub-race of humanity who gained long lifespan and expanded intelligence through exposure to or the use of powerful sorceries. They appear as tall humans with flashing eyes and pale features; all Eldren will have at least one birthmark in the shape of a mystical symbol of some kind. Eldren are not Elves by any means but are still a good choice for anyone who would like a character with a haughty and superior attitude. A group of powerful Eldren serve New Dawn as seers and the detailed information they provide of surrounding areas, future events and potential enemies and allies is one of the secrets of New Dawn’s success.

Strell. These beings resemble humanoid bats and they make their homes in the skies. A race of powerful mages and artificers the Strell crafted great floating cities in order to retreat from the world. There were once 10 Strell sky cities but three were destroyed during the fall and the others may have been damaged. The Strell tried to remain neutral throughout the Mage Wars and the chaos that followed and managed to make their cities more or less self sufficient. But in the century since the final war their societies have stagnated and their mystically empowered farms seem to be failing. Soon the Strell will have to venture down into the blasted world they tried to leave behind in search of resources to trade or steal.

Kerak. A reptilian race who for the most part survived the fall because they lived underground and the majority of their tribes had the good sense not to go topside to find out what was going on. They are stronger and tougher than humans but although not inherently less intelligent they are not especially advanced and are unlikely to follow an academic path through life. Although not a race who tended to have much truck with magic there are some Kerak who have been mutated by sorcerous energies leaking into their underground homes. Not a populous race before the fall they are now quite numerous by comparison with the battered survivors on the surface. Nonetheless the Kerak are not as a rule territorially aggressive; in fact they may even regard the survivors as possible allies in the struggle against their hated foes the Golgira.

Golgira. An evil humanoid race who live underground. Their national sport is torture and their biggest and fastest growing industry is slaving. Pure scum and not really intended to be PC material.

Dwarves, Halflings and Gnomes. Do not appear here, unless someone kicks up a fuss and convinces me otherwise, since it is early days yet as I mentioned before. However, there are some small-folk who survived the fall. Such as the pygmies of Eretria’s jungles and the Dwarf-like Koropokkuru of Tuan.

I'd like to play, but there's just so many choices, it would be hard to play just one in that type of setting.

Is there going to be rules for being near a weakpoint of reality, or a local reality zenith? "Don't be doing too much here, too quickly, you might set off a manulanche (mana-avalanche). You don't want to deal with shifting paradigms, do you?" :eek:

Well paradigm shifts could be a headache to write.

And nothing good ever comes out of holes in reality. But then that's the player's problem, not mine. :sneaky:

Certainly if the party isn't careful then they could set off a few events that change geography and climate and perhaps even spontaneously mutate the local wildlife.

One more playable race. There won’t be any more unless someone desperately wants to play something else and impresses me enough with their character concept.

The Mor. Technically another human sub-race but so changed as to appear to be an entirely separate race. The story of the Mor is at one with the story of the God of Death – Coros. Once known as the Herald of the Underworld he pulled unclaimed souls down into that dark realm to languish in spectral form until they could be re-incarnated, mortals sometimes cursed Coros as the greediest of gods because his appetite for new subjects seemed insatiable. But when the fall destroyed most of the population of the world even Coros was glutted and became sickened by the slaughter; furthermore his realm was filled to bursting point by so many lost souls waiting to be reborn into the handful of new creatures being born amongst the survivors. And so Coros’ very nature was changed and he became Amon-Cor – The Preserver; a deity dedicated to the recreation of balance between life and death, order and chaos. To this end Amon rescued a number of dying humans and reformed their bodies to create mortal avatars of his will. These were the first Mor and they were unleashed upon the shattered world to do the Preserver’s will.

The Mor are dealers in death in order to preserve life. They hunt down warlords and murderers who are likely to spread destruction and slaughter while protecting those who may safeguard lives. Recently this race has revealed a more subtle goal of encouraging the re-emergence of civilisation in order to mitigate the destructive chaos that still abounds. They also hunt down ghosts that have escaped through the cracks in the overburdened underworld, slay demons who form no part of the world’s balance and even eliminate animals that seem to be damaging nature’s balance by being too successful.

In appearance Mor are humanoid but with long graceful limbs and pale eyes that appear to be blind but which can actually see into the realm of death itself as well as that of the living. Male Mor are night-black while females are bone-pale. Their attitude to clothing is similar to that of the Gothic subculture of Western society; which I must admit is a clue as to what inspired them.

The Mor believe that the only true solace in a life dedicated to murder is the beauty of art. Their tastes are somewhat morbid however and run to haunting music, grim paintings and sculptures and very dark humour.

Although their long term goals should make them natural allies of New Dawn there is unlikely to be much trust between the two factions. New Dawn's all-embracing recruitment policies mean that some of their members e.g. Demon-Kin and Undead are particularly abhorrent to the Preserver's minions. And of course the Mor themselves are a creepy and unnerving race which doesn't make it any easier to trust them.

One final point is that although Mor fear pain and suffering as much as anyone else they aren’t worried about death because they are familiar with the world of the dead and know that when they pass on their patron will place them at the front of the queue for reincarnation.

The standard tech level is roughly late medieval, this includes very primitive gunpowder weapons which have yet to really overtake crossbows and longbows.

However there are Artificers who craft magical artefacts which can match modern technology in some respects. Examples include healing items, sentinels and the mystical mechanisms that keep Strell Sky Cities up in the air.

There are also a few crazed 'technomancers' who harness strange new materials and the chaotic raw magic that abounds in this PA world in order to construct bizarre technological marvels. These include weapons similar to a Skaven warpfire thrower, jet packs, mechanical golems and even suits of 'robotic' armour. It's probably best to think of technomancy as magical steamtech.

Well I’ve had some positive responses so I guess it’s worth pursuing this.

I’d like to ask for advice about the character builds however. Since this is a relatively high powered fantasy campaign in which most of the PC’s should have some supernatural abilities the question of balance comes in; particularly because of the great variety of available character types.

I have worked out how the various curses and powers should interact so character creations shouldn’t be too confusing.

Hopefully with some careful character building and a sensible attitude on the part of the GM and the players we shouldn’t have any problems.

Here are the basics of how I’m planning to build various character types; what does everyone think?

All characters must of course choose a race from the following list, barring GM dispensation.

Human.

Eldren.

Mor.

Kerak.

Strell.

They can then choose whether to be a magic user or not. Magic users come in the following broad flavours.

‘Normal Mage’ in the style of Turakian age.

Artificer. Crafts magical items. Wards, runes etc.

Technomancer. Builds mystical technology. Guns, golems and pseudo mecha.

Elementalist. Very unsubtle with a few powerful abilities.

Psychics. Does what it says on the tin.

Having done this the player may if they wish choose one ‘curse’ which will unlock new abilities but come with particular disadvantage or disadvantages. These are.

Vampire. These beings are not actually undead in this setting but are on the brink of death and kept ‘alive’ by the cursed blood in their veins.

Undead. Come in two types.

Revenants. People who have risen from the death by magical accident or by sheer force of will.

Dooms. Best described as minor liches; they were the generals and mages in the armies of Varakus Bane although some may have been created since

his destruction.

Werebeast. Pick an animal any animal …

Mutant. Will have one or more abilities but may suffer social stigma if these powers have visibly physical manifestations.

Tainted. (Demonkin). Like mutants but with extra damnation.

I’m not planning on using the Turakian divide spell costs by 3 rule but I will be placing supernatural abilities in a multipower as standard.

Mages’ multipower will represent their school of magic and they will have to have one multipower for each school they wish to learn, accompanied by an appropriate skill and limitations such as incantations. Alternatively they could have a limited VPP which can only use spells from a given list.

Psychics simply count as another school of magic.

Elemental mages will appropriately have an elemental control; they don’t use formal spells but simply manipulate the forces of nature and are therefore capable of doing more than one thing at once.

Artificers and Technomancers work through independent focuses.

Vampires will have inherent powers such as improved characteristics and life support, (they are kept alive solely by their stolen blood and so do not need to eat or respirate). If the player wants they can also purchase inherent abilities such as enhanced senses or hardened skin. Inherent powers are always on. In addition to this Vampires may choose to have a ‘blood gift’ multipower; this can include abilities such as hypnosis, flight, increased strength, regeneration, talons and other exciting things. Blood Gifts do not require incantations or any of the other disadvantages associated with mortal magic but they can only draw on the Vampire’s Blood Pool which is a special Endurance reserve that can only be topped up through the use of the Drink Blood power; two points of End per point of body drained from an animal and four points of End per point of body drained from a human. Furthermore the Blood pool ‘leaks’ two End a day and the Vampire’s player really doesn’t want to know what’ll happen if their Blood Pool reaches zero.

Undead work in a similar fashion to Vampires. Revenants only possess inherent powers associated with their undead form and are otherwise normal beings. Dooms may use a unique Death Magic multipower if they so choose. The other key difference is that a Revenant might pass as someone who is just very ill while a Doom’s nature is clearly revealed by its skeletal form and glowing eyes.

Werebeast’s normal form is their human one. This form may have some inherent abilities such as rapid healing, enhanced senses and increased speed or presence. They then have a war-form similar to the towering beasts in Dog Soldiers and Underworld. The war-form is for mayhem alone and will have few skills other than agility and combat; it also comes with the ‘enraged’ disadvantage although precisely what brings on the rage is a matter of individuals. Other Werebeast peccadilloes include a refusal to eat anything other than raw meat.

Mutants and Tainted will have one or more powers and may or may not show physical signs of their curses. I might allow Tainted to have an ‘Infernal Abilities’ Elemental Control but for the most part these curses should involve physical stigma such as claws, eyestalks and so on.

That’s about as far as I’ve got. Does it all sound plausible? If not then WWYD?

It was never a question of what was Right, what was Noble. There are few times when life was so straightforward. The monsters were attacking, we were but a few scattered Knights and several well-meaning farmers with whatever armor and weapons we could gather.

Against every nightmare that had ever plagued mankind. This was our last battle. I vaguely remember the pain, and the blood, and then my body fell to the ground and I remember staring at it.

It was a stupid pose, kind of bent and twisted. It was a stupid thing to worry about, but I was dead, and there was nothing else to do.

Just wait.

And wait.

They didn't tell me about this part. Truly, this must be hell. It must have been hours, the battle was still going on, and all I could do is watch. I can't even completely leave my body.

I heard a woman scream for help. I tried to run, but I just fell over, still attached to my lifeless body which was still staring at me.

In sheer anger at my own corpse, I grabbed at it. It made a strange squishy sound as my hand passed through it. With a little effort, I managed to somehow drape it around me like a cheap cloak.

Slowly, and with great effort, I hobbled towards the screaming. Lurching and stumbling along the ground. After what seemed like eternity, I managed to cross the few hundred yards. I never heard a demon laugh, but when it turned to saw me, it roared.

"You've been dead for days, and now you think you can just drag your sorry ass in here and beat me? With what? Your dead corpse?"

They say training goes down, down to the very bone. And that is the only explanation that I have. For my very bones moved without my assistance, it drew my sword, my eyes began to glow, and with my left hand, it grabbed me and slammed me back inside.

And may heaven forgive me, if this is wrong, I never want to be right again. All I ever wanted to be was a Hero.

And with a haunting voice I said, "Looks like I got some time... to kill."

It was never a question of what was Right, what was Noble. There are few times when life was so straightforward. The monsters were attacking, we were but a few scattered Knights and several well-meaning farmers with whatever armor and weapons we could gather.

Against every nightmare that had ever plagued mankind. This was our last battle. I vaguely remember the pain, and the blood, and then my body fell to the ground and I remember staring at it.

It was a stupid pose, kind of bent and twisted. It was a stupid thing to worry about, but I was dead, and there was nothing else to do.

Just wait.

And wait.

They didn't tell me about this part. Truly, this must be hell. It must have been hours, the battle was still going on, and all I could do is watch. I can't even completely leave my body.

I heard a woman scream for help. I tried to run, but I just fell over, still attached to my lifeless body which was still staring at me.

In sheer anger at my own corpse, I grabbed at it. It made a strange squishy sound as my hand passed through it. With a little effort, I managed to somehow drape it around me like a cheap cloak.

Slowly, and with great effort, I hobbled towards the screaming. Lurching and stumbling along the ground. After what seemed like eternity, I managed to cross the few hundred yards. I never heard a demon laugh, but when it turned to saw me, it roared.

"You've been dead for days, and now you think you can just drag your sorry ass in here and beat me? With what? Your dead corpse?"

They say training goes down, down to the very bone. And that is the only explanation that I have. For my very bones moved without my assistance, it drew my sword, my eyes began to glow, and with my left hand, it grabbed me and slammed me back inside.

And may heaven forgive me, if this is wrong, I never want to be right again. All I ever wanted to be was a Hero.

And with a haunting voice I said, "Looks like I got some time... to kill."

Pretty cool and just the kind of character that would fit the feel of this campaign.