• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: league of extraordinary PULP HEROs

I thought that was the LoEG? ;):D

What dates? For example, the 1930s get you

Doc Savage

The Shadow

Tarzan (he's an immortal, and thus not showing his age yet)

Hugo Danner (one prototype for Superman)

Joseph Greenstein in his early prime

The Avenger

The Black Bat

The Spider

Many others.

I would probaby choose Doc Savage, the Shadow, Mandrake the Magician, the Phantom, and the Green Hornet. They have similar motivations and ethics, and an almost "four color" costumed vibe. Tarzan is from the same era, but IMO he's so strongly in the popular consciousness that he'd tend to dominate the other characters in people's minds. (I suspect that's one reason Sherlock Holmes wasn't used in the graphic or film versions of the League.) The Spider is another crime fighter from that era, but he was so violent and lethal that I can't see the other heroes on my list working with him.

I forgot to add the Phantom to my earlier list. :o If one excludes Tarzan for the reason I gave above, he helps fill the "jungle hero" role. OTOH,

I'd include the Spider, that era is a lot more tolerant of such methods...and that means Nita, can't have all guys now can we? (and I really like the Spider...;))

Maybe somekind of "Jungle girl" then?

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle would fit nicely here.

Hyde' date=' Nemo & Griffin? Not really good guys[/quote']

Agreed, although Nemo was willing to treat the castaways who dropped into his lap with kindness and respect. Rationalizations were provided for Hyde and Griffin to work with the League; but they were both solo operators, whereas Fu was a world-threatening mastermind in his own right, with an extensive organization behind him. I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't justify it, just that you'd really have to come up with a good one.

actualy i meant the game PULP HEROES characters sorry about the confusion

:nonp:

Ah.

I've read the heroes, but I'm not that familiar with them. That said, you could probably put together an interesting team with the Monster's and Madmen book, just as LoEG used some villains and gave them reasons to work as heroes.

Hugo Danner (one prototype for Superman)

Certainly era-appropriate, but like Superman he runs the risk of completely eclipsing his team mates.

Joseph Greenstein in his early prime

Ah, The Mighty Atom. One of those rare real-life people who was borderline superhuman. Even though he could hold his own with many of the fictional heroes mentioned above, because he was real I'd hesitate to mix him with the fictional folks -- IMHO it works against the concept of a "pulp heroes" team. OTOH he'd make a heck of a guest appearance. :)

Ah, The Mighty Atom. One of those rare real-life people who was borderline superhuman. Even though he could hold his own with many of the fictional heroes mentioned above, because he was real I'd hesitate to mix him with the fictional folks -- IMHO it works against the concept of a "pulp heroes" team. OTOH he'd make a heck of a guest appearance. :)

He'd knock most pulp heroes on their keisters, and might give Doc a run for his money. ;)

The Wiki entry skips most of the really interesting stuff; time in Japan studying Jujitsu, running battles with the Ku Klux Klan and the German American Bund, teaching hand to hand combat to the NY State and City police departments, anti-gang patrols, run-ins with celebrities and political figures. He was as close to a Pulp character as a real human gets. :)

The Spielman book has been one of my favorites for years. I still have a copy on the shelf.

let me rephrase my original question

if the player characters from the game PULP HERO was the champions universe version of the loeg which player characters would be members?

Um, Pulp Hero has five good guys (and five bad guys). Masterminds & Madmen has only bad guys.

IOW, there's five people to choose from. And they already are a group. Period. End of discussion

Or do you want us to put forward our own PCs as potential members? IN which case, I (at least) would want a LOT more info on your proposed group.

Um' date=' [i']Pulp Hero[/i] has five good guys (and five bad guys). Masterminds & Madmen has only bad guys.

IOW, there's five people to choose from. And they already are a group. Period. End of discussion

Or do you want us to put forward our own PCs as potential members? IN which case, I (at least) would want a LOT more info on your proposed group.

yes thats what i had in mind

a group of seven[or more] adventurers have been gathered to stop a plot to create a world war. [either ww 1 or 2 take your pick] they are considered civilians volenteers by the government.

they mainly operate stateside but wil go overseas if nessasary.

who are the members and what talents or abilites do they have?

Too late to make this relevant, since it's already been explained they have to be Pulp Hero characters, but...

Last GenCon the Exile Games guys (who wrote Hollow Earth Expedition) ran a game called League of Extraordinary Pulp to demonstrate the flexibility of their system in handling different levels of characters. I missed playing in the game by this much, to my chagrin. :(

IIRC, the roster was as follows:

• Doc Savage
  • Indiana Jones
  • Mandrake The Magician
  • The Phantom
  • The Rocketeer
  • The Shadow

I've been pushing to see if they'll run a reprise of the scenario since it sounded like a lot of fun.

Agreed' date=' although Nemo was willing to treat the castaways who dropped into his lap with kindness and respect. .[/quote']

Hm. Could argue that one.

Nemo found out one of said castaways was a world-famous scientist. He spared Arronax, because here was a golden oppurtunity to show off, boost his own ego, prove his intellectual superiority, etc.. Nothing more. Conseil and Ned Land were spared because he had no choice - kill them and Arronax would have had nothing to do with him.

Looking at '20,000 Leagues' objectively, Nemo doesn't come across as a nice person in the slightest; despite all attempts since to retcon, reform or otherwise redeem him.

Refer Philip Jose Farmer's 'The Other Log Of Phileas Fogg', which I consider to be a durned good read and presents an interesting perspective on Nemo.

Too late to make this relevant, since it's already been explained they have to be Pulp Hero characters, but...

Last GenCon the Exile Games guys (who wrote Hollow Earth Expedition) ran a game called League of Extraordinary Pulp to demonstrate the flexibility of their system in handling different levels of characters. I missed playing in the game by this much, to my chagrin. :(

IIRC, the roster was as follows:

• Doc Savage
  • Indiana Jones
  • Mandrake The Magician
  • The Phantom
  • The Rocketeer
  • The Shadow

I've been pushing to see if they'll run a reprise of the scenario since it sounded like a lot of fun.

hmm i wouldn't mind geting backup from THIS group

Our own Darren ran the Pulp All-Stars game at several conventions about four years ago. The lineup included

Doc Savage

The Shadow

Tarzan

Mandrake the Magician

Indiana Jones (for players who have no idea who the others are)

Nancy Drew (whose adventures actually started in the early 30s and she was a gun-toting daredevil as well as a first rate detective)

The Saint (Simon Templar) who people also tend to forget was originally a pulp hero. At DunDraCon I got to play The Saint and put as much into it as I could, as the actress said to the bishop.

It was a lot of fun. We had an ideal Doc Savage, a well-done Tarzan, a Shadow who didn't have much flare as a player but had the attitude and motifs of the character down pat. The Saint is an old favorite of mine, so I had a great time.