league of extraordinary PULP HEROs

bubba smith

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Re: league of extraordinary PULP HEROs

I hope this is something like what you had in mind.

This is the write up for Veronica Dare, my current PC in our adventure pulp game. This Veronica Dare is actually the second incarnation of the character although the background is the same. I came in about half way through that campaign and Veronica was a surprisingly affective skilled normal with no powers what so ever in what turned out to be (to my surprise!) a Pulp Super/crime fighting hero game in which everyone had powers! The GM asked me to run her again in his new adventure pulp game after that Super Pulp hero game came to an unexpectedly early close.

It’s not easy growing up in the shadow of a world famous adventurer…

Born Veronica Elizabeth Dare to Jonathan “John” Dare, the famous adventurer and leader of his “Daredevils” and the wealthy heiress, Elizabeth Rockefeller.

Veronica’s parents divorced when she was quite young. Elizabeth expected John to settle down to a life of luxury and leave his adventuring behind after they were married but he would have none of it. The world still needed John Dare and his Daredevils. She remarried and while she stays in contact with her daughter, she does not approve of Veronica’s globe trotting and the wanderlust she has inherited from her father. She is also on good terms with her stepbrothers as they enjoy hearing about her escapades when their mother is not in ear shot.

Veronica had thus been forced to lead a double life. She had spent most of her life between boarding school, finishing school and college and spending summers digging in Aztec ruins in South America, hunting Indian ghosts in Arizona and on safari in deepest Africa with her dad and his crew. She has nurtured a great thirst for adventure but also has the looks, social skills and contacts to hob knob with New York high societies’ finest.

Veronica has stocks and trust funds to finance most adventures and is an admitted thrill seeker out to make a name for herself. Always looking for something new and exciting to do, she is fluent in over half a dozen languages, can ride, hunt and out shoot most any man she’s met. If there is a gun made, she probably owns one, can take it apart and put it back together with her eyes closed and almost always seems to be armed with a pistol upon her person.

Veronica has long blonde hair, blue eyes and always appears expensively and fashionable dressed.

In the field, she wears her long blonde hair in a braid and dresses in a safari shirt and hat, breeches and riding boots and is armed with her favorite Webley revolver. A personally modified MK 5, given to her by one of her father’s Daredevils, in a shoulder holster. A Lee Enfield SMLE MK 5 and on occasion, if things get truly unpleasant, she’ll unpack her Lewis MK 1 machine gun that she has dubbed *“King Louie II - Bane of the Mongols”.

4d41544c8312e2398051a22ae015fdc79bd463f.jpg

After our Buffy campaign we are in the habit of picking an actor or actress to play our character. :)

*The first King Louie was lost in an adventure involving a false sultan in India. RIP

This is the write up for Veronica Dare, my current PC in our adventure pulp game. This Veronica Dare is actually the second incarnation of the character although the background is the same. I came in about half way through that campaign and Veronica was a surprisingly affective skilled normal with no powers what so ever in what turned out to be (to my surprise!) a Pulp Super/crime fighting hero game in which everyone had powers! The GM asked me to run her again in his new adventure pulp game after that Super Pulp hero game came to an unexpectedly early close.

Born Veronica Elizabeth Dare to Jonathan “John” Dare, the famous adventurer and leader of his “Daredevils” and the wealthy heiress, Elizabeth Rockefeller.

Veronica’s parents divorced when she was quite young. Elizabeth expected John to settle down to a life of luxury and leave his adventuring behind after they were married but he would have none of it. The world still needed John Dare and his Daredevils. She remarried and while she stays in contact with her daughter, she does not approve of Veronica’s globe trotting and the wanderlust she has inherited from her father. She is also on good terms with her stepbrothers as they enjoy hearing about her escapades when their mother is not in ear shot.

Veronica had thus been forced to lead a double life. She had spent most of her life between boarding school, finishing school and college and spending summers digging in Aztec ruins in South America, hunting Indian ghosts in Arizona and on safari in deepest Africa with her dad and his crew. She has nurtured a great thirst for adventure but also has the looks, social skills and contacts to hob knob with New York high societies’ finest.

Veronica has stocks and trust funds to finance most adventures and is an admitted thrill seeker out to make a name for herself. Always looking for something new and exciting to do, she is fluent in over half a dozen languages, can ride, hunt and out shoot most any man she’s met. If there is a gun made, she probably owns one, can take it apart and put it back together with her eyes closed and almost always seems to be armed with a pistol upon her person.

Veronica has long blonde hair, blue eyes and always appears expensively and fashionable dressed.

In the field, she wears her long blonde hair in a braid and dresses in a safari shirt and hat, breeches and riding boots and is armed with her favorite Webley revolver. A personally modified MK 5, given to her by one of her father’s Daredevils, in a shoulder holster. A Lee Enfield SMLE MK 5 and on occasion, if things get truly unpleasant, she’ll unpack her Lewis MK 1 machine gun that she has dubbed *“King Louie II - Bane of the Mongols”.

After our Buffy campaign we are in the habit of picking an actor or actress to play our character. :)

*The first King Louie was lost in an adventure involving a false sultan in India. RIP

sh is indeed what i had in mind repped

Veronica Dare,

Sounds of Captain Ferguson seeing to it that his ship, 'Antares', has been thouroughly scrubbed, polished, holystoned, re-painted and generally spruced up from masthead to keel.

And that the guest cabin is tidy.

And that his formal uniform is back from the cleaners.

i don't think i recognize the lady who is she?

• 2 weeks later...

While I could probably submit any of the characters from my Friends of Justice convention game, I'll pick the only one that I've actually played a version of. That would be Joey Pulzak, former heavyweight boxer.

Josef Stanislaus Pulzak was born in 1903 in the Bronx. The son of Polish immigrants Stanislaus and Eva Pulzak, young Joey grew up often having to defend himself from bullies who would pick on him because of his background. As a teenage, boxing manager Arnie Flynn recruited Joey to join his stable of fighters. Over the next several years, Joey climbed the ranks of heavyweight fighters and was getting close to shot a title. But it was not to be.

You see, Arnie was compulsive gambler. And he owed a lot of money to gangster Gunther O'Toole. O'Toole was willing to forgive the debt if Joey would take a dive in his next fight against the O'Toole-backed Jake Cutter. Joey refused and went to win the fight.

After the fight, Arnie revealed that when Joey refused to take a dive, he instead sold Joey's contract to O'Toole. Joey was angry and told O'Toole that under no circumstances would he ever box for him. O'Toole relented and release Joey from his contract. But that didn't free Joey from his influence in the boxing world. Joey soon discovered that either he fought for O'Toole or he didn't fight at all. Joey chose not to fight at all.

Always a good driver, and fascinated with cars, Joey decided to open a garage. He also started to learn how to fly. His driving, flying, mechanical, and of course, boxing skills and being a sucker for a sob story have drawn Joey into the adventuring world.

Joey is a honest straight-forward guy who can be quick to temper but just as quick to calm down. He loves being able to use his skills to help people in trouble.

joey.gif

Artwork by Kerry Connell for my Friends of Justice event.

SORA-HIME

"Sky-Princess"

A miko (Shinto shrine maiden) living in Tokyo, Michiko Yamori first encountered Captain Lance Pallant and the crew of the Airracuda when the good Captain was embroiled in the midst of the infamous "Case of the One Hundred Hungry Ghosts." In the course of the case (which involved a plot to raise the dead and use them to rob from the living) Michiko not only helped the brave Captain (and his crew) solve the case, but proved her worth as an unarmed fighter (through the use of her jujutsu skills), used her knowledge of the supernatural to help deduce what was happening, and put her miko skills to the test in personally defeating several gaki (hungry ghosts). Impressed with her bravery, spunk, and skill (not to mention her obvious physical charms), Captain Pallant asked her to join him as one of the crew. Michiko, who found her recent adventure far more to her liking than her former tranquil temple life, readily accepted.

Together, the crew of the Airracuda ranged the length and breadth of the Far East, engaging in a life of high-adventure aboard their custom outfitted Sikorsky S-38 flying boat. In between cargo and passenger runs, they battled bandits and pirates, foiled criminal masterminds, fought with Triad and Yakuza gangsters, and occasionally encountered supernatural menaces of all sorts. Along the way, Michiko not only learned to fly the Airracuda herself, but became quite the skilled pilot, eventually acquiring the nickname Sora-hime ("sky princess").

Alas, the story of Captain Pallant, Sora-hime his love, and the rest of the Airracuda crew doesn't end on a happy note. The plane vanished over China in late 1938, the presumed victims of an Imperial Japanese air patrol. No wreckage has ever been found, and it is thought the passage of time has done more than enough to destroy any evidence of the plane. However, there are some, usually those skilled in the mystic arts, who claim the plane actually flew to the lost city of Shangri-la, where its passengers still dwell today.

sora_hime.jpg

Her character sheet:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/original/pulp/sorahime.html

The rest of the crew are (still) under construction.

SORA-HIME

"Sky-Princess"

A miko (Shinto shrine maiden) living in Tokyo, Michiko Yamori first encountered Captain Lance Pallant and the crew of the Airracuda when the good Captain was embroiled in the midst of the infamous "Case of the One Hundred Hungry Ghosts." In the course of the case (which involved a plot to raise the dead and use them to rob from the living) Michiko not only helped the brave Captain (and his crew) solve the case, but proved her worth as an unarmed fighter (through the use of her jujutsu skills), used her knowledge of the supernatural to help deduce what was happening, and put her miko skills to the test in personally defeating several gaki (hungry ghosts). Impressed with her bravery, spunk, and skill (not to mention her obvious physical charms), Captain Pallant asked her to join him as one of the crew. Michiko, who found her recent adventure far more to her liking than her former tranquil temple life, readily accepted.

Together, the crew of the Airracuda ranged the length and breadth of the Far East, engaging in a life of high-adventure aboard their custom outfitted Sikorsky S-38 flying boat. In between cargo and passenger runs, they battled bandits and pirates, foiled criminal masterminds, fought with Triad and Yakuza gangsters, and occasionally encountered supernatural menaces of all sorts. Along the way, Michiko not only learned to fly the Airracuda herself, but became quite the skilled pilot, eventually acquiring the nickname Sora-hime ("sky princess").

Alas, the story of Captain Pallant, Sora-hime his love, and the rest of the Airracuda crew doesn't end on a happy note. The plane vanished over China in late 1938, the presumed victims of an Imperial Japanese air patrol. No wreckage has ever been found, and it is thought the passage of time has done more than enough to destroy any evidence of the plane. However, there are some, usually those skilled in the mystic arts, who claim the plane actually flew to the lost city of Shangri-la, where its passengers still dwell today.

sora_hime.jpg

Her character sheet:

for their sake i hope they reached shangri-la

for their sake i hope they reached shangri-la

Little did those mystics realize that the plane had been caught in a temporal vortex and the crew is currently safely ensconced in the Hotel Shangri-La, Sydney from where they continue their adventures...

• 3 weeks later...

Doc Savage ' date='The Phantom,The Shadow .[/quote']

Meant to be PCs and NPCs from 'Pulp Hero' campaigns (and maybe also any other RPG campaigns with a 'pulpy' quality). Whilst I have no doubt at all that there are folks out there role-playing those guys (or unreasonable facsimiles thereof), they are not really what is being looked for.

The Thrilling True Tales!!! site hasn't been rebuilt, and we haven't played in a while, but the group in that particular campaign was a "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

The group was:

Karagoz - Master of Mesmerism

Kerzak - The Great White Ape

Johnny Danger - Daredevil Archeologist

Ulysses S. Adams - Two-Fisted Patriot

I even cooked up some Bruce Timm style interpretations of the characters for us to use as cardboard heroes (though I don't know why that last one is an oddly small size).

2523607840_615d35a6ab.jpg?v=02523607324_4bd062d318.jpg?v=02523607784_d0984023e2.jpg?v=02523607396_6a9ae18975.jpg?v=0

I'm pretty sure my own character, Johnny Danger, made an appearance in Freedom City by Stephen Kenson. At least according to the annotations.

SORA-HIME

"Sky-Princess"

sora_hime.jpg

Her character sheet:

Great character, though from her picture I imagine she went through a lot of double sided tape keeping the top of her robe positioned just so. Did she get a bonus to PRE vs. humans of the appropriate sexuality?

Great character' date=' though from her picture I imagine she went through a lot of double sided tape keeping the top of her robe positioned [i']just so[/i]. Did she get a bonus to PRE vs. humans of the appropriate sexuality?

I chalked it all up to Cinematic... err... Pulp License at left it at that. Oh, and invisible spirit gum. Interestingly enough, I bought her COM back from 20 to 16, and intend for the French-Vietnamese member of the crew to be the 20-22 COM 'hottie.' She's going to have some gun skills from her father and is a demon behind the wheel (to balance the aircraft specialties of two other members of the crew).

• 3 weeks later...

A pulp hero team I am running has

Philip Hawkins - A very wealthy British man. He is the team leader and currently no special abilities.

Ranjit Singh Bahadur - an Sikh bodyguard for Mr. Hawkins. He wield two mystical weapons a sword and a dagger.

Sterling Spectre - an American teenager who was a castaway and learned martial arts and some mystical abilities from a Chinese ghost.

Aiden Cade - A British doctor with an aptiude for the Tarot and some low level psychic abiliites.

Marie LaVaue - an African American vodoo priestess from New Orleans.

Note all supernatural abilities are capped at 20 active points and they increase by 10 active for every 100 character points.

Actually, I am put in mind of a particularly enjoyable Character I had in a long-ago Pulp-ish campaign.

One of the other Players was running the secret daughter of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler (favouring her father's analytical skills). I had the idea of running her loyal and totally inscrutable Chinese manservant. It worked extremely well - the Player of Miss Adler was someone I had gamed with for years, and we knew each other well enough that friction was virtually non-existant in this instance.

"Mr Hong" is a young, good-looking and well-educated Chinese man, who became Miss Adler's servant out of gratitude for her aid to his family against the Tong. His command of English and grasp of Western culture are both first-rate, though he sometimes finds it advantageous (and very often amusing) to pretend otherwise. He is an expert martial artist (Kung Fu), and also has some grounding in Chinese medicine (including acupuncture). He is also a good cook, and quite skilled with the sort of weaponry one can improvise in a standard kitchen (strong Jackie Chan influence here, I admit). In serious situations, a favourite weapon combo is paired meat cleavers - handy weapons both in melee and when thrown. Plus, these in the hands of a screaming Asiatic charging at one with blood in his eye seldom fails to induce a morale check, at the very least.

Often, Mr Hong carries around a flask or two of extra-strong Chinese liquor (110%+ Proof!) - handy for "medicinal purposes", as an antiseptic and, in one memorable encounter, as the means of igniting a rampaging Mummy. VERY effective, that last.

He is cheerful and upbeat, and fiercely conscientious about the well-being of Miss Adler. Most of the time, he seems the perfect valet - quiet, unobtrusive. attentive, frequently attending to his employer's wishes almost before she herself becomes aware of them. However, it should not be assumed that he is at all subservient - being more than capable of "ordering" his employer around if he deems it necessary (mostly things like making sure she eats proper meals or, in potentially dangerous situations, that HE takes the big risks).

One classic scene that I must mention. The party had to interrogate am especially uncooperative prisoner. As the questions began, Mr Hong quietly sat down across the table from the prisoner, calmly unwrapped a bundle, then began producing (and cleaning) a considerable number of shiny metal implements. Naturally, the prisoner had heard any number of stories about "fiendish Oriental tortures" - and cracked in less than five minutes.

Mr Hong never said a word to the prisoner, never even looked at him - and nobody ever told the prisoner that what Mr Hong had in fact been doing was cleaning his acupuncture kit.

Actually, upon recall, Mr Hong is perhaps a tad outside the era specified in this thread. The campaign was set in an AH post-ww1 setting (the Allies had won, albeit differantly, with the Spanish Flu ourbreak arriving earlier and taking a varying form. There had also been various new technological breaktthroughs courtesy of Tesla and Coander). Anyhow, the basic Character would still work extremely well in a 1930s setting, especially as company for an upper-class adventurer-type in obvious need of a good valet.