dark champions from each of the 50 states

bubba smith

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: dark champions from each of the 50 states

"Mr. Swan! A statement for the press?"

"My press agent will have more to say in the morning, but I will say this. What happened in Malabar was a tragedy, a tragedy - but the outcome of this hearing was never in doubt. Rest assured my company will be helping to apprehend those monsters who were responsible."

One of the benefits of being very rich was never having to wait for a taxi.

"Sir?"

"The house."

Of course, to stay very rich it helped to have bodyguards, lawyers, and suitable scapegoats.

Swan relaxed only once the security gates closed behind him, and was already giving orders to the house security officer as he got out of the limousine.

"Get Fischmann and Border up here - I want to be sure they have somebody to blame for Malabar."

Minter nodded. "Yessi - hey! What the hell?" and slapped a hand against his shoulder, pulling away a feathered dart. He looked confused, briefly, and then went blank, folding up as he collapsed.

His bodyguard and driver were next, already falling as they sprang from the limo, handguns drawn.

Swan swore, stared wildly about him, and ran for the shelter of the house.

That, of course, just meant the next dart got him in the back.

Swan woke up, face down. It was dark, and he couldn't move his arms or legs. Something was taped into his mouth, gagging him completely.

Twisting his head, he could see his was strapped down to some kind of table. It was a garage... No, a small warehouse. There was a stack of rusting drums along the far wall.

He could just make out the label - Tetra-something. Tetra-ethyl... Now he tried to shout, struggling violently in his bonds.

"Ah, you're awake, Mr. Swan. I'm glad - there were a few aspects about your case I wanted to discuss with you.

"Do you know what tetra-ethyl lead does to somebody, Mister Swan?"

A photograph was held in front of him - a dark-skinned girl, face twisted by paralysis.

"Incredibly neurotoxic. Incurable. Untreatable. You should know, Mr. Swan - you ordered 160 tonnes of the stuff shipped to India for 'processing'. I have the reports right here. Your Misters Fischmann and Border were very helpful. I think they intended to blackmail you, later."

Swan felt his head head in place, firmly, and strapped, or bandaged, into position.

"You poisoned 400 children, Swan. But I'm not going to kill you."

He felt a cold swab on the back of his neck, and his head held down hard. A needle slid into his skin, and between his vertebrae.

"This isn't tetra-ethyl lead, Swan. But it
will
paralyse all your voluntary nerves. You'll never move or talk again. You might have escaped jail, so I'll be locking you in myself. It won't cure those children, nothing will do that - but when the police find you, and all this proof of your greed and irresponsibility, then others like you will know they can't get away with it again."

"Think of me as the Doctor, Mister Swan - I make things better."

David Kowalski was an army medic once - an exemplary one, and an above-average soldier.

Upon his return to the States, he continued his medical career at Alabama's burgeoning medical facilities, and found himself dealing with more and more victims of crime, narcotics, and neglect.

He decided he could do more good treating the disease rather than the symptoms, and for just over 20 years has used his knowledge of pharmacology, military skills, and *excellent* physical condition for a man now in his 50s, to make life very painful for a wide range of social ills.

OK, the website (parodyofpictures.webs.com/fiftydark.html) has been updated to included The Doctor (Alabama) and Anole (Florida). As I refuse to put in any picture of any idea without the permission of the originator, who is the sole owner, I am waiting to hear back from hooligan x on the Connecticutioner.

Which brings up an important request: please do not post someone else's idea/work. Instead, please ask them to post it here, themselves.

I seem to be hogging the thread here - surely the rest of you have more ideas?

Mississippi - Delta

A vigilante speedster & Martial Artist, still somewhat annoyed that nearly everybody has missed the mathematical pun behind his ID and symbol.

But then, he is an educated black man in a state where that alone can give you lots of reasons to start running. Redneck bigots who think the triangle means he must be one of them queer f*****s is just par for the course.

• 2 weeks later...

Secret ID: the legendary Giant Catfish of Bagnell Dam, the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

(The Bagnell Catfish was originally Jude Ezekiah Marlon, a Missouri soldier in the American Civil War, but it's not a name he ever uses these days. Nor will he say which side he fought for back then, blue or gray.)

4 Most Interesting Disads:

DISTINCTIVE FEATURES - Enormous scaly piscine-human blend, with a very potent fishy odor

(15) Not Concealable (the odor, at least, can't be hidden)

(5) Always Noticed, Causes Major Reaction

(-0) Detectable By Commonly Used Senses

HUNTED (in Secret ID as the Giant Catfish of Bagnell Dam)

I] Sport Fisherman and Trophy Seekers

(10) As Powerful

(0) Appear Occasionally [8-]

(0) Hunters Desire to Kill the PC for the trophy value and bragging rights

II] Tourists and Monster Hunters

(5) Less Powerful

(5) Appear Frequently [11-]

(-5) Hunters Desire to Mildly Punish PC; seek to find, trap, investigate or discover the Giant Catfish, and cause great annoyance and inconvenience to Bagnell Catfish (BC) while so doing

PSYCHOLOGICAL DISADVANTAGE: Protective of "the rivers that're this country's lifeblood, and everythin' that swims in 'em or on 'em. 'Cept for you folks."

Common, Strong (15)

SUSCEPTIBILITY: "Noodling"

(5) "Attack" Is Uncommon

(10) Damage (equivalent) [3d6]

I wasn't sure how to write up a Susceptibility where the "damage" is immobilization. Any help available out there?

When BC's dangling whiskers, scaly throat or belly are rubbed/scratched with a bare hand, he becomes "stupefied," completely passive, taking no action for as long as the "noodling" continues.

On BC's first active phase after the noodling has stopped, he's bewildered, [-2] to all Actions

On the second Active Phase after the noodling has stopped, he's groggy, [-1] to all Actions.

On the third Active Phase after the noodling has stopped, he's ENRAGED (Uncommon [5], Becomes Enraged 14- [10], Recovers 11- [5])

Top 3 Stats:

Tough (high CON), Strong (high STR) and very, very FAST...in water. (extra SPD, only in water)

Main Skills:

Navigation (U.S. lakes and rivers)

American History [11-]/Missouri History [12-] (Civil War to the Present)

American Folklore [11-]/Missouri Folklore [12-]

Swimming

PS: Soldier

SS: Hydrology

Throwing, unbalanced objects

WF: Blades

WF: Shotguns, Rifles, Muskets, Cannon

Watery MA

Interesting Powers

-Slimy fish: Damage Reduction, thick slime layer over entire body

-Bottom-feeding fish: Immunity to all terrestrial diseases (and parasites)

-Whitewater Lightning: +4" SPD (only in water deep enough to swim in)

-River Racer: Extra Swimming: +10"

-Immortality

-The Big Spit Multipower: various EBs

SFX: BC fires watery blasts from his mouth

--Torrent: regular EB

--Death Rain: EB KA

--Drown on Dry Land: EB NND

Back Story

In 1862, 19-year-old Jude Ezekiah Marlon, a Confederate soldier and faithful son of Missouri, had a fateful meeting with the Niúachi, the American Indians who would later be called the Missouria. As the result of either a blessing or a curse by the Niúachi, Jude was magically transformed into one of the Itcex'hi, the Horned Water Panthers...though despite the name, the creatures were actually nothing like panthers (except in their ferocity). Jude's new form was a monstrous blend of fish and human, strong, tough and practically immortal, with huge unblinking eyes and trailing whiskers that would eventually lead him to nickname himself "The Catfish," and later, "The Bagnell Catfish."

• 4 weeks later...