(Nigh) Photographic Reflexes

palaskar

I was wondering how you would build a variant of Taskmaster's photographic reflexes. Basically, the character can do any martial arts move if shown it a few times, as well as some other things like dance moves. Complex, non-MA moves are beyond him.

This is something I can almost do. (I doubt I can play ping-pong, frex. For some strange reason, I suck at it. Juggling too.) No flames, please. This is for a character, not me! ;))

So how would you build this? I was thinking something like:

Aid 4d6, delayed fade rate, must review moves periodically, extra time.

I'd use my copy of 4th ed. Ninja Hero, but I can't find it.

Re: (Nigh) Photographic Reflexes

The official 5th Edition build for this is a VPP for skills (GMs permission required).

I'd probably just build a character with a long list of skills at the base level for his (mediocre) stats and basic MA maneuvers, Analyze (Skill) and Analyze (Martial Art), and 6 or so Overall Levels with Requires an Analyze Roll (-1/2) and Only Up To Level of Analyzed Skill (-1/4). He could then observe a person performing (Insert Skill Here), and shift his levels around to match the skill or maneuver he just observed. SFX would be Photographic Reflexes.

Yeah, there's lots of ways to do this.

For example, you can leave unspent character points around to spontaneously buy new skills and abilities. The Photographic Reflexes SFX lets you spend those points with no training time or instructor requirements.

That'd be my take on it; the character basically just skips out on training time. I'd give him some Find Weakness or just CSLs only vs people he's closely studied, simply because he can predict their moves.

Honestly, I'd go Oddhat's way to simulate the full Taskmaster effect....although I may not have described that as what I wanted from the start. (Hence the Aid 4d6, delayed fade rate, must review moves periodically, extra time.) The character must review moves periodically, so he can lose them if he doesn't practice.