"Touchless" Psychological Strikes

palaskar

Basically, you seem to strike the opponent, but don't actually touch them. They flinch anyway as though they've been hit. This was demonstrated on a TV show in the US, as well as a CD from russianmartialart.com (again by the freakily skilled Mikhail Ryabiko. Well, at least according to the reviews and promo.)

I have absolutely no idea how to build this. Or what it would it be good for. I just thought it would be neat for a MA character. Help?

Re: "Touchless" Psychological Strikes

In Hero I'd build it as an EB w/ Invisible Power Effects, If it can go through barriers then also w/ Indirect.

If you are just after the flinch effect as a distraction then Negative Skill Levels, Dex Drain, or perhaps Flash.

And if we're trying to simulate the real world ability look here

In Hero I'd build it as an EB w/ Invisible Power Effects, If it can go through barriers then also w/ Indirect. If you are just after the flinch effect as a distraction then Negative Skill Levels, Dex Drain, or perhaps Flash.

Yeah, I'd probably go with Flash here. (Negative Skill Levels are allowed?)

What you're showing seems to be the "Empty Force." I've heard a description of this from Yang, Jwing-Ming but never myself. It's nice to hear from somebody else who believes in it. The amount of flames that have been generated to my responses on posts on Mythbusters and rpg.net about chi are utterly mind-boggling. :mad:

The amount of flames that have been generated to my responses on posts on Mythbusters and rpg.net about chi are utterly mind-boggling. :mad:

It's a REAL hot button topic, especially in a community where people have been ripped off, injured or even died because they believed in some instructors false claims. Mind you, this is coming from someone that has studied some RMA, has experienced his fair share of mind blowing martial arts first hand and also knows how to do several amazing martial arts tricks that are little more than smoke and mirrors.

With that in mind and for the sake of a game:

Systema Psychic Powers (realistic) - Feint, Bonus dice for PRE attacks and lots of enemies/students that have Psychological limitations that will play right into a practitioners hands. Take some Sleight of Hand, Persuasion and a few head shrinker type skills (KS: Psychology, KS: Psychic Warfare, Analyze Motive) for good measure.

Systema Psychic Powers (fantastic) - In addition to what's been suggested, Mind Control with Gestures so you can command people to fall prone, bounce around, do rolls or even go to sleep. Invisible PowerFX TK or Does Not Cross Intervening Space Stretching is another option that will allow you to do Martial Throw and such without seeming to touch the opponent.