Darth Vader vs. The Hulk

Ken Solo

This is one of those cross-genre match up questions. In discussion, we cannot seen to settle this one, so I am asking for the considered opinions of others who ponder such things.

We have the Hulk write-up from Game Trade Magazine, and the Vader write up from Surebrooks page of Champions write ups. But have not fought the battle yet.

The debate is mostly between a Non-gaming Hulk fan and a new gamer Star Wars fan. I am the vetern gamer moderator. The consesion is that Hulk is stronger, tougher etc. Vader, on the other hand has Force powers and a slashy light-thing. The real sticky point is the argument on one hand that the Dark Side has more power over those who give in to their rage (Which Hulk is all about) and on the other hand, Hulk is shown as being immune to to mind control powers by virture of having too many multiple personalities.

So, assuming one gets ported to the others Universe, who will come out on top?

(I have to show this thread to the two debatees, to settle things)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darth Vader vs. The Hulk

Hulk (Swinging at Vader), "Hulk Smash"

Vader (Steps easily out of arc of swing)

Hulk (Slamming Ground), "Hulk Smash!"

Vader (Leaps off ground avoiding shockwave)

Hulk (Swinging Landspeeder), "HULK SMASH!"

Vader (Cuts Landspeeder in half with light saber, flings halves back at Hulk with TK)

Continues for a while until Vader gets bored and pops his head off with a light saber

Bruce Banner, "Don't make me angry, you wouldn't..."

Darth Vader (waving hand), "You're not angry."

Bruce Banner (dully), "I am not angry."

Vader pops his head off with a light saber.

But could a Sith use the Jedi Mind Trick to make someone not angry? I'm not sure they could... :think:

Bruce Banner, "Don't make me angry, you wouldn't..."

Darth Vader (waving hand), "You're not angry."

Bruce Banner (dully), "I am not angry."

Vader pops his head off with a light saber.

And the Hulk pre-emptively forces Bruce to transform (as he has done on many occasions that Bruce has been placed in danger while not angry), and does a sonic boom slap, flinging Vader against a building damaging his respirator beyond repair...

TB

Hulk (Swinging at Vader), "Hulk Smash"

Vader (Steps easily out of arc of swing)

Hulk (Slamming Ground), "Hulk Smash!"

Vader (Leaps off ground avoiding shockwave)

Hulk (Swinging Landspeeder), "HULK SMASH!"

Vader (Cuts Landspeeder in half with light saber, flings halves back at Hulk with TK)

Continues for a while until Vader gets bored and pops his head off with a light saber

Where Vader finds that the Hulk's skin is far more resilient than any natural substance. The sabre only lightly burns the Hulk's skin, before Vader is back handed by a supremely angry Hulk, causing his respirator to exit out of his back (along with the rest of his internal organs.)

TB

This is one of those cross-genre match up questions. In discussion, we cannot seen to settle this one, so I am asking for the considered opinions of others who ponder such things.

We have the Hulk write-up from Game Trade Magazine, and the Vader write up from Surebrooks page of Champions write ups. But have not fought the battle yet.

The debate is mostly between a Non-gaming Hulk fan and a new gamer Star Wars fan. I am the vetern gamer moderator. The consesion is that Hulk is stronger, tougher etc. Vader, on the other hand has Force powers and a slashy light-thing. The real sticky point is the argument on one hand that the Dark Side has more power over those who give in to their rage (Which Hulk is all about) and on the other hand, Hulk is shown as being immune to to mind control powers by virture of having too many multiple personalities.

I think both of the whiny guys with serious anger management issues. They would end up sobbing in a corner about how unfair life was and how much it sucked to be them.

Hulk: "Hulk will Smash!"

Vader: "Hulk, I sense much anger within you." [shhhh]

Hulk: "???"

Vader: "Feel your anger flowing through you." [shhh] "Your anger makes you stronger."[shhhh]

Hulk: "Madder Hulk gets, STONGER Hulk gets!"

Vader: "Join me! and we can end this useless conflict and bring order " [shhhh]

Hmm. No-one's disputing that Vader can kill an unprepared Banner --if necesary with a orbital bombardment.

But the same applies in reverse, and it seems fair to restrict the case to Vader versus Hulk.

In that case, can Vader kill Hulk with a single cut? In Hulk's comic, of course not. Light sabres are pretty vicious science-fictiony weapons, but even PVSFW do not demonstrate single hit kills against Hulk's very tough fabric. (As it should be, given the strains he puts on skin and flesh and bone doing all his stunts.)

In Vader's movies, the light sabre becomes a weapon apart from PVSFW. It cannot, however, demonstrate single-cut effectiveness against all materials. I am specifically thinking of that blast door in Episode I.

Requiring several cuts from Vader brings Hulk's rapid healing into play. So in an attritional struggle, which will win?

Hulk is fast, and has good reach. He tags pretty fast-moving people in his own comic. But let's grant that Force users have something more going on. Hulk will not win by punching Vader.

However, he also has area-effect attacks ranging from improvised clubs and large thrown objects to his true area-effect foot stomps and handclaps.

Given any reasonable build for Vader (6rD Combat Luck, 6rD armour, 10 Body, 25 total PD, I'm saying. Note that I'm too lazy to go to the write-up, so feel free to ignore me from here on in), Hulk's area effect attacks are likely to be overwhelming. Diamond's shockwave attack is effective for up to 75 Strength, doing massive Stun and knockdown.

Frankly, I don't think Vader stands a chance, unless you accept a very Vader-friendly intepretation of the likely effect of light sabre cuts.

Having not seen the write-ups, I'm going just by what I've seen of them in their respective primary media (movies for Vader, comics for Hulk). Vader would be totally unprepared for Hulk's strength and toughness. He has nothing in his experience to even remotely compare it to. A lightsaber could not take off Hulk's head in one shot, as Luke's was stopped by Vader's armor in Empire. Hulk has stood up against much stronger TK than Vader is capable of. As the battle goes on, Hulk will get madder, stronger, and meaner as Vader gets more damaged and worn down. By the time the end comes, Hulk may end up slamming a Star Destroyer on his head, but I just don't see Vader being able to win against an opponent so far outside his experience and power-level.

Hmm. No-one's disputing that Vader can kill an unprepared Banner --if necesary with a orbital bombardment.

But the same applies in reverse, and it seems fair to restrict the case to Vader versus Hulk.

In that case, can Vader kill Hulk with a single cut? In Hulk's comic, of course not. Light sabres are pretty vicious science-fictiony weapons, but even PVSFW do not demonstrate single hit kills against Hulk's very tough fabric. (As it should be, given the strains he puts on skin and flesh and bone doing all his stunts.)

In Vader's movies, the light sabre becomes a weapon apart from PVSFW. It cannot, however, demonstrate single-cut effectiveness against all materials. I am specifically thinking of that blast door in Episode I.

Requiring several cuts from Vader brings Hulk's rapid healing into play. So in an attritional struggle, which will win?

Hulk is fast, and has good reach. He tags pretty fast-moving people in his own comic. But let's grant that Force users have something more going on. Hulk will not win by punching Vader.

However, he also has area-effect attacks ranging from improvised clubs and large thrown objects to his true area-effect foot stomps and handclaps.

Given any reasonable build for Vader (6rD Combat Luck, 6rD armour, 10 Body, 25 total PD, I'm saying. Note that I'm too lazy to go to the write-up, so feel free to ignore me from here on in), Hulk's area effect attacks are likely to be overwhelming. Diamond's shockwave attack is effective for up to 75 Strength, doing massive Stun and knockdown.

Frankly, I don't think Vader stands a chance, unless you accept a very Vader-friendly intepretation of the likely effect of light sabre cuts.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I see it.

Vader is a Big Bad for a Heroic Campaign. The Hulk is one of the higher powered characters in a Superheroic Campaign. Totally different scales. Not being a Star Wars gamer, I have to go with what we see on screen for Vader, and from that, it doesn't much look like the Dark Side is all that good for any kinda mental tricks that'd actually do anything to the Hulk other than enhance his rage, making him all the tougher. Meanwhile, we KNOW that supertough/dense materials slow down lightsaber blades, and the Hulk has a long history of mostly shrugging off world class attacks.

I'll be generous and say that the Hulk takes a fair bit of Body damage from Vader's attacks, but he fast heals, and Vader doesn't have enough of a speed advantage the manage to get the time required to actually carve all the way into the Hulks flesh or sever anything.

Lil' Orphan Anni goes *splat* to the tune of " A Hard Knock Life"

I'm am pretty much already convinced that in a purely physical contest Vader will lose. But Vader has more tricks that just hacking at the Hulk like a D&D fighter. Is there not a way he can direct the actions of the seething Hulk? "The Force easily distracts the weak willed." or something like that.

On the other hand, aparently Prof. X can't mind control the Hulk.

I'm for Vader, just because I'm sick and tired of the Hulk. Hulk smash yada yada yada..big dumb lummox, bash bash bash, plus lots of handwavium for the many things that shoudl take down the stupid lummox.

Taking into account the newer movies, the video games, force powers are appropriately superheroic..so I'll take any justification that ends in a headless dead hulk.

I'm am pretty much already convinced that in a purely physical contest Vader will lose. But Vader has more tricks that just hacking at the Hulk like a D&D fighter. Is there not a way he can direct the actions of the seething Hulk? "The Force easily distracts the weak willed." or something like that.

On the other hand, aparently Prof. X can't mind control the Hulk.

Well he gets glimpses of the future, can move anything with his TK, and has access to the full force of the Empire.

I'm for Vader, just because I'm sick and tired of the Hulk. Hulk smash yada yada yada..big dumb lummox, bash bash bash, plus lots of handwavium for the many things that shoudl take down the stupid lummox.

Taking into account the newer movies, the video games, force powers are appropriately superheroic..so I'll take any justification that ends in a headless dead hulk.

Ummm, so knowing the character's capabilities is handwavium now? Because really when you're talking about Darth Vader, he doesn't really have many ways to take down the Hulk.

I mean seriously, the Hulk's survived atomic explosions and multiple hits with Thor's hammer and I highly doubt a lightsaber is more powerful then those things.

Hulk has proven pretty resistant to mental attacks in the past as well, which is actually a moot point because Vader doesn't use a whole lot of mental tricks when he's fighting. Really all the times we see him fighting he's pretty much rushed forward swinging his lightsaber.

Finally, Hulk has managed to hit opponents with far more speed and agility then Darth Vader has ever shown (I recall a comic where Hulk managed to hit Spider-Man for example) so that's probably not going to be much of an advantage for Vader either.

So really, in my opinion, there is no justification for a dead and headless Hulk.

Ummm, so knowing the character's capabilities is handwavium now? Because really when you're talking about Darth Vader, he doesn't really have many ways to take down the Hulk.

I mean seriously, the Hulk's survived atomic explosions and multiple hits with Thor's hammer and I highly doubt a lightsaber is more powerful then those things.

Hulk has proven pretty resistant to mental attacks in the past as well, which is actually a moot point because Vader doesn't use a whole lot of mental tricks when he's fighting. Really all the times we see him fighting he's pretty much rushed forward swinging his lightsaber.

Finally, Hulk has managed to hit opponents with far more speed and agility then Darth Vader has ever shown (I recall a comic where Hulk managed to hit Spider-Man for example) so that's probably not going to be much of an advantage for Vader either.

So really, in my opinion, there is no justification for a dead and headless Hulk.

Actually, everything mentioned above is a great reason for a dead hulk. I think superman is a less tired worn out character than Hulk. Sure, power level in a straight up fight, Hulk wins.

I'll give the nod to Vader for just being more interesting, having at least some definition. Thats more important than actual power levels as far as match ups go.

Frankly, Vader's too smart not to find some way to take care of Hulk. And anything other than an 'instant combat', Banner would probably never make the transformation to Hulk.

Again, it comes down to where the fight is staged. On the pages of a Hulk magazine..well, Hulk Smash, FTW. Anywhere else..hmm, Darth Hulkious, newest servant of the Sith anyone?

Of course, we all seem to be assuming a straight-up toe-to-toe fight here. And I don't know about verybody else, but I was thinking of the classic "Hulk Smash!" personality. But give Vader time and intell on his opponent, and I see him much more likely to end up manipulating the Hulk than fighting him.

Actually, everything mentioned above is a great reason for a dead hulk. I think superman is a less tired worn out character than Hulk. Sure, power level in a straight up fight, Hulk wins.

I'll give the nod to Vader for just being more interesting, having at least some definition. Thats more important than actual power levels as far as match ups go.

Frankly, Vader's too smart not to find some way to take care of Hulk. And anything other than an 'instant combat', Banner would probably never make the transformation to Hulk.

Again, it comes down to where the fight is staged. On the pages of a Hulk magazine..well, Hulk Smash, FTW. Anywhere else..hmm, Darth Hulkious, newest servant of the Sith anyone?

Ah I see, my apologies I thought you were here to debate the topic and clearly that's not the case. I'll leave you alone then.

Of course' date=' we all seem to be assuming a straight-up toe-to-toe fight here. And I don't know about verybody else, but I was thinking of the classic "Hulk Smash!" personality. But give Vader time and intell on his opponent, and I see him much more likely to end up manipulating the Hulk than fighting him.[/quote']

Palpatine's the manipulator, not Vader. Darth Vader is pretty much a straightforward sort of guy and the one time he tried to manipulate somebody (when he tried to turn Luke to the Dark Side) it failed miserably. In my opinion Vader's more likely to underestimate the Hulk.

Vader fights the Hulk and loses quickly. He retreats to the Death Star and blows up the planet. It doesn't kill the Hulk. Instead the Hulk is flung into the midst of the imperial fleet, which he summarily rips to pieces. Vader jumps through hyperspace and hopes the scary green man doesn't find him.

"Bug Face makes Hulk's head hurt! Hulk SMASH!"

Since the Skywalker clan has never seemed able to use the Force for healing/regeneration, that would be the end of it.

Hulk has fought and defeated bricks, mentalists, and martial artists who could wipe the floor with Vader. If the character sheets are vaguely close to the levels the characters perform at in their respective mediums, Vader goes squish. It's not even much of a contest.

Remember when the Monarch's henchman tried to use a toy lightsaber to take on Brock Samson? That's pretty much what the fight might look like.