Darth Vader vs. The Hulk

Ken Solo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darth Vader vs. The Hulk

I thought it was an adamantium-vibranium alloy. Is my nerdy comics lore out-of-date?

No, your nerdy comics lore is remembering a typo that has plagued Marvel comics for decades ;) Unfortunately, that error was made in one of the sections of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, so many writers and comic book geeks started repeating it.

The classic round shield is and always has been a vibranium-iron alloy that no one has ever been able to replicate. Attempting to replicate the shield resulted in the creation of adamantium.

So technically, you are remembering your comics correctly (or at least your OHotMU)... it's just that those comics were wrong :sneaky:

If the comics have said it's got adamantium for decades' date=' don't we consider it retconned?[/quote']

I would say no in this instance.

Marvel made a mistake in the OHotMU.

This resulted in the error being reprinted several times, off and on, for a few years back in the mid 80's. Apparently, Marvel went out of it's way trying to get the misconception corrected back in '85, but mistakes were still made. However, I don't think the vibranium-adamantium error has seen print in an official source for over 20 years... but I may have just missed it when I stopped reading comics for a while in the 90's.

Regardless, people still say it all the time on internet forms the world over. Not cause they read it in a comic book yesterday, but because they read it in a comic 20 years ago.

If Marvel wants to change it to having adamantium in it, they easily could and I imagine most folks woudl accept the retcon with minimal bitching.

But officially, that's just not the case.

True. Of course a person being sufficiently nitpicking (and really would I be typing this if I wasn't? :D ) could ask if the tractor beam could even register the Hulk as a target as it's also designed for big things.

With Vader watching over his shoulder, the tractor-beam officer had better hope so!

Well he gets glimpses of the future' date=' can move [i']anything[/i] with his TK, and has access to the full force of the Empire.

Vader cannot move "anything" with his TK. Hulk could lift and move much heavier/larger objects than Vader could with the force.

Actually, everything mentioned above is a great reason for a dead hulk. I think superman is a less tired worn out character than Hulk. Sure, power level in a straight up fight, Hulk wins.

I'll give the nod to Vader for just being more interesting, having at least some definition. Thats more important than actual power levels as far as match ups go.

Frankly, Vader's too smart not to find some way to take care of Hulk. And anything other than an 'instant combat', Banner would probably never make the transformation to Hulk.

Again, it comes down to where the fight is staged. On the pages of a Hulk magazine..well, Hulk Smash, FTW. Anywhere else..hmm, Darth Hulkious, newest servant of the Sith anyone?

There is absolutely no way that Banner would not make the transformation in time. Banner has been shot with a high powered/high velocity sniper rifle and he transformed before the bullet got farther than his teeth. And he didn’t even know he had been shot at.

I've never seen the Hulk as a hero. There's really nothign heroic about him..nor Banner, for that matter in a consistant fashion.

Really, Hulk is one of the characters I wish Marvel had killed off. Nothing would be missed about that.

Hulk has helped topple almost every major villain at various times in Marvel's history, that's not heroic? Prior to "World War Hulk", which I haven't read, he had never intentionally killed a human and despite massive property damage and many injuries has never killed a civilian (unless, as I stated, it has happened very recently). He has served with the Avengers and I believe the Defenders as well. Plus, Banner's motivation (on and off) through much of the comic's history has been to find a cure. Not to mention he is the Hulk because he risked his life to save someone else's. How is Banner/Hulk not heroic?

Yes Dr Doom could beat the Hulk' date=' easily. It doesn't happen because, well, that's not how comic books work but if the question is could he just based on abilities without regard to plot device or author's whim then yes. He'd watch video, interrogate old associates, make a plan and then one day the Hulk would be dead. There might be a fight but probably not. It'd be a pretty boring read, except maybe from the point of view of the people trying to figure out why the Hulk was dead; that might be something worth running. now that I think about it.[/quote']

There is no conceivable way Doom could defeat Hulk. His tech isn't advanced enough and his magic isn't powerful enough. While Hulk may be more vulnerable to magic than other forms of attack, he has taken direct hit’s from Odin and still got back up.

There is only one way I see Vader beating the Hulk.

After expending numerous minions and reccon assets scouting the target, Vader borrows the Death Star from the Emperor. They blow up the planet, catch the Hulk in a tractor beam, set him at the focus point for the superlaser, and fire it again.

If that doesn't do it, keep the tractor beam on and set course for Kessel. Drop the Hulk into the Maw (a cluster of black holes).

But really, that's a case of the Empire beating the Hulk, not Vader per se.

Black hole wouldn't necessarily stop Hulk, which I believe was illustrated in “Planet Hulk”.

Hulk’s power is not some contrivance to keep the character alive against all odds. Hulk is so powerful writers have to contrive more and more ridiculous things just to make it seem like he is really in danger. It’s so hard to find a decent villain for hulk that almost a year worth of story-arch in the late 90’s or early 2000’s was spent dealing with Banner’s psychological issues and Hulk’s multiple personality issues. Vader simply can’t compare. Mind control? If classic “Hulk Angry” had the mental whammy put on him “Professor Hulk” or Joe Fixit (Grey Hulk) would emerge instead. Light Saber cut his head off? Are you serious? Adamantium can barely scratch him, and the strongest energy attacks usually just disorient or annoy him. Most of the times Hulk has been defeated in a fight (and by defeated I mean knocked out) has been by sucker-punches, often when he was already calming down (like the one time Doc Samson dropped him). Frankly, Vader has nothing going for him other than an excellent dodge.

Comic aficionados argue whether or not Galactus could defeat Hulk, and he survived the entropy of a dying universe and the “Big Bang” that created ours. Vader? I don’t think so.

Black hole wouldn't necessarily stop Hulk' date=' which I believe was illustrated in “Planet Hulk”. [/quote']

Who smoked what to come up with that? :nonp: But let's say for a moment that the fall into a black hole wouldn't kill the Hulk (who'd have pretty much all of eternity to chill out and maybe change back - not to mention the eventual speed-of-light impact at the bottom - how many dice of damage is that?), he'd have a heck of a time getting out - or does the Hulk have FTL Superleap now? :idjit:

Hulk’s power is not some contrivance to keep the character alive against all odds. Hulk is so powerful writers have to contrive more and more ridiculous things just to make it seem like he is really in danger. It’s so hard to find a decent villain for hulk that almost a year worth of story-arch in the late 90’s or early 2000’s was spent dealing with Banner’s psychological issues and Hulk’s multiple personality issues. Vader simply can’t compare. Mind control? If classic “Hulk Angry” had the mental whammy put on him “Professor Hulk” or Joe Fixit (Grey Hulk) would emerge instead. Light Saber cut his head off? Are you serious? Adamantium can barely scratch him, and the strongest energy attacks usually just disorient or annoy him. Most of the times Hulk has been defeated in a fight (and by defeated I mean knocked out) has been by sucker-punches, often when he was already calming down (like the one time Doc Samson dropped him). Frankly, Vader has nothing going for him other than an excellent dodge.

Comic aficionados argue whether or not Galactus could defeat Hulk, and he survived the entropy of a dying universe and the “Big Bang” that created ours. Vader? I don’t think so.

Which just tells me it's the Hulk has been ridiculously poorly written. Possibly even worse than the 'planet-pushing' Superman.

This argument is based on a misconception of scale. Yes, Vader is a very powerful heroic level character, but the Hulk is an insanely powerful superheroic character . There is no way this would last past a turn unless Vader had a Star Destroyer backing his play. Then it might take a while, but the Hulk would still have a reasonable chance of coming out on top. Perhaps the Death Star could obliterate the planet he was on for the win, but that's not Darth Vader, that's the Death Star.

A more accurate match up for personal combat would be Batman vs. Vader. Before the naysayers get started, I'm referring to Detective Comics Batman, not Batgod.

Well, at least its a novel take on the traditional fandom pissing contest.

Incidentally, I saw a pissing contest last spring. One of the female Sinai goats was in heat and two of the males actually faced off, had the big samurai stare-down, grunted over and over at one another, and simultaneously emptied their bladders with great force as a demonstration of their respective vigor.

Yes, I live in a very different world than most of you...

Well, at least its a novel take on the traditional fandom pissing contest.

Incidentally, I saw a pissing contest last spring. One of the female Sinai goats was in heat and two of the males actually faced off, had the big samurai stare-down, grunted over and over at one another, and simultaneously emptied their bladders with great force as a demonstration of their respective vigor.

Yes, I live in a very different world than most of you...

So, could Darth Vader out piss a Sinai goat?

Palpatine:Vader! Our forces are under attack! Never have I seen a creature in which the force moved so powerfully! Assist me at once!

Darth:As soon as I can, my Emperor! First, I must prove my mastery of micturition against an impertinent example of capra aegagrus hircus!

Palpatine:What are you on about!?! The green human is smashing aside our troopers as if they were nothing! Also, why can't they aim? It's as if they're all cross eyed!

Darth:I have nearly humbled the goat, my Emperor! Just a little more! I knew I was guided by the Force when I had the extra fluid tank installed!

Palpatine:The Green One has ripped open the outer blast doors with his bare hands! Your presence is required! Now!

Darth:Yes! But I will have to dispense with this Green One quickly! I have a hotdog eating contest this afternoon! The skinny Japanese teen shall not humiliate me this time!

As much as I like Star Wars, being able to fight at FTL speeds gives the victory to the Star Trek ships, period.

And of course Spider Man can beat Firelord. It's his name on the title of the comic!

Now back to your regularly scheduled implausable match-up.

[/font][/color]

Who smoked what to come up with that? :nonp: But let's say for a moment that the fall into a black hole wouldn't kill the Hulk (who'd have pretty much all of eternity to chill out and maybe change back - not to mention the eventual speed-of-light impact at the bottom - how many dice of damage is that?), he'd have a heck of a time getting out - or does the Hulk have FTL Superleap now? :idjit:

Which just tells me it's the Hulk has been ridiculously poorly written. Possibly even worse than the 'planet-pushing' Superman.

If I remember correctly the black hole acted as a portal or wormhole and spit him out somewhere else (a common scifi contrivance) and the miraculous part was that traveling through it hadn't killed him.

As for being poorly written, both Superman and Hulk started out much weaker than their current incarnations. You can't blame Stan Lee, or what's-his-name who created Superman. It's decades of writers, all with different views and ideas about the characters, combined with ageless characters that never really age, that screwed up. It's the biggest flaw of the comic book superhero genre...

>>>his-name who created Superman. It's decades of writers, all with different views and

>>>ideas about the characters, combined with ageless characters that never really age,

>>>that screwed up. It's the biggest flaw of the comic book superhero genre...

HULK :nonp:

DARTH :(

so, returning to the CHAMPIONS stats for said characters.....

I mean as wonderful as all these opinions are,

forgive me for trundling out something concrete

Comic aficionados argue whether or not Galactus could defeat Hulk

They do? As in "could there exist circumstances under which the Hulk might beat Galactus" or "the Hulk and Galactus meet in an alley - the Hulk might win"? Because if I said the latter seems implausible, it would be a gamma-irradiated understatement from my not-reading-comics-in-ages perspective.

They do? As in "could there exist circumstances under which the Hulk might beat Galactus" or "the Hulk and Galactus meet in an alley - the Hulk might win"? Because if I said the latter seems implausible' date=' it would be a gamma-irradiated understatement from my not-reading-comics-in-ages perspective.[/quote']

More along the lines of "Could Galactus destroy the Hulk?".

Back to the topic at hand, comparing those two character sheets I can't believe Vader could possibly win...

As much as I like Star Wars, being able to fight at FTL speeds gives the victory to the Star Trek ships, period.

And of course Spider Man can beat Firelord. It's his name on the title of the comic!

Now back to your regularly scheduled implausable match-up.

Err....you know I was poking fun at the thread right? ;)