Values for new modifiers

Oruncrest

I'm writing up a character who can generate a 'plasma spear', a 6½' long pole of plasma held by a 'gravity bubble' except for one end, which of course is ablaze. As the name suggests, he can use it as a melee weapon or can throw it. Of course, since the 'spear' can be thrown, the PC can also have it disarmed or taken away from him, and until he can either recover the 'spear' or destroy it, he can't create another one.

I've decided to create 2 new modifiers, 'Can be thrown', an advantage, and 'Must manifest', a limitation, but I'm not sure what the values of either should be.

With 'Can be thrown', the 'spear' can be used either as a HTH weapon or as a ranged weapon, but the range is automatically limited by STR (in this case, 1" per pt of STR). Should it be +¼ or +½?

Like I said before, 'Must Manifest' creates the 'spear' and he must be touching the 'spear' to 'disperse' it. The 'spear' is not a focus because until he creates the 'spear' it doesn't exist, but once it's created, it behaves like a personal focus (if the 'spear' is separated from the character, the 'flame' at the one end goes out). I'm thinking a limitastion of either -½ or -¾. What do you think?

Try this...

Cost Power END
7 Plasma Spear: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Ranged (+1/2) (22 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), OIF (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Extra Time : Manifest (Delayed Phase; -1/4)
Powers Cost: 7

Of course set the damage level to your own liking....

Also need to decide if STR can add to the damage...if not thats another -1/2. It is a OIF because once thrown it can be picked up and run away with thus causing the power to be gone....

When he picks it up, it disappears and his single charge returns...you can drop the extra time if you want it to appear quicker (ie instant)...

what ya think?

Originally posted by GradonSilverton

Cost Power END
7 Plasma Spear: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Ranged (+1/2) (22 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), OIF (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Extra Time : Manifest (Delayed Phase; -1/4)

Wouldn't this require you to recover the charge even if it were used in melee? Putting "1 Recoverable Charge" only on the "Ranged" advantage might be better. Making a multipower with the 'lockout' disadvantage on the ranged attack might be better yet. (I think one of the 5E examples does this; it's a thrown dagger, or something.)

Originally posted by Doug Limmer

Wouldn't this require you to recover the charge even if it were used in melee? Putting "1 Recoverable Charge" only on the "Ranged" advantage might be better. Making a multipower with the 'lockout' disadvantage on the ranged attack might be better yet. (I think one of the 5E examples does this; it's a thrown dagger, or something.)

I was using the charge to represent once it was created, it could not be recreated until the charge was renewed by "absorbing" it again...thus if it is created (using 1 charge) it could be used for H-T-H as long as necessary. If thrown, then it could be picked p and thrown again, if taken away...then ya better get it back or the power is gone....

Originally posted by Doug Limmer

Technically you are correct. The power should be bought as:

9 Plasma Spear: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 7) plus Ranged (7 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Ranged Based On STR (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

I went with the OAF because he said it can be disarmed and taken away. And the damage listed is just an example. The damage would be whatever the player wanted it to be.

Try this...

Cost Power END

Of course set the damage level to your own liking....

Also need to decide if STR can add to the damage...if not thats another -1/2. It is a OIF because once thrown it can be picked up and run away with thus causing the power to be gone....

When he picks it up, it disappears and his single charge returns...you can drop the extra time if you want it to appear quicker (ie instant)...

what ya think?

About the ranged, I think you're missing the sentance on pg. 157, 1st column, 4th paragraph (ignoring the example) where it states that, 'You must always use the Advantages purchased for a power at full strength whenever you use the power." If I took 'ranged' for my spear, then the only way I could use it is at range, even if I only wanted to use it HTH. That's why I came up with 'can be thrown', to give me the option.

Also, the reason I didn't take a focus limitation was because foci are always around, even when the PC has no intention of using it. For instance, Foxbat's Ping-Pong gun is in a holster on his hip when he goes into combat (anybody remember that scene in CHAMPIONS III where he tries to draw on the Marksman, only to find out that Icestar had secretly replaced his gun with an ice-cream cone?), but when he's taking a shower, taking Charley out to a fine restauraunt, or (heavens forbid) in the slammer, it's still out there, somewhere, where it can be taken (or stolen) by someone who knows where to look and how to get to it (note that this applies to some of the more famous OIFs out there, Hal Jordan took his GL ring off while taking showers, and Kyle Rayner doesn't sleep with his ring on).

By contrast, the spear can't be stolen during the PCs 'down-time' unless the character has created it (or summoned it from a 'pocket dimension' - where d'you think Sailor Moon keeps her wands when she's not 'punishing' evil?), at this point it can be stolen, or disarmed, whatever.

That's why I didn't take a focus limitation: the spear isn't around enough to qualify for the modifier that it would be worth if it was a focus, but I think that it's worth something as a limitation.

One last thing; with 'Must manefest', the 'creation time' for a weapon would be the same amout of time that it would take to ready a weapon from it's noncombat position (i.e. ½ phase).

I hope I've explained my rationales a little better.

Originally posted by Oruncrest

About the ranged, I think you're missing the sentance on pg. 157, 1st column, 4th paragraph (ignoring the example) where it states that, 'You must always use the Advantages purchased for a power at full strength whenever you use the power." If I took 'ranged' for my spear, then the only way I could use it is at range, even if I only wanted to use it HTH. That's why I came up with 'can be thrown', to give me the option.

What you said is true, but you have missed the entire section on Naked Power Advantages on page 157.. You have apparently also missed all of the character examples published to date which have the power written as I have described it above. If you have CKC take a look at the Combat Knife write-up for Destroyer Agents as a single example.

If you do not want the spear to be a Focus, then I suggest you look at the Restrainable Limitation on page 200.

Originally posted by Monolith

What you said is true, but you have missed the entire section on Naked Power Advantages on page 157.. You have apparently also missed all of the character examples published to date which have the power written as I have described it above. If you have CKC take a look at the Combat Knife write-up for Destroyer Agents as a single example.

If you do not want the spear to be a Focus, then I suggest you look at the Restrainable Limitation on page 200.

Perhaps OIF is better than OAF since it not quite as easy to grab..... Since it has to be manifested.... just a though.

Perhaps OIF is better than OAF since it not quite as easy to grab..... Since it has to be manifested.... just a though.

I only went with OAF because his example says he can be disarmed and have it taken away from him. Restrainable will accomplish the same effect for the same Limitation value as an OIF. :)

I only went with OAF because his example says he can be disarmed and have it taken away from him. Restrainable will accomplish the same effect for the same Limitation value as an OIF. :)

You know...you ALWAYS kick my ass in these post....

90% of the time I'm typing something and hit submit ONLY to see that you alread said it but beat me by a minute....you also seem to take my point makeups and redo them and make them BETTER!...BETTER DAMN IT!!!.....I need to figure out someway to hurt you...just dont know how yet!

:)

You know...you ALWAYS kick my ass in these post....

90% of the time I'm typing something and hit submit ONLY to see that you alread said it but beat me by a minute....you also seem to take my point makeups and redo them and make them BETTER!...BETTER DAMN IT!!!.....I need to figure out someway to hurt you...just dont know how yet!

Once and a while my Lightning Reflexes and extra Speed backfire (they have a Activation 17- -0 Limitation), but most of the time I get them in pretty quickly.

It is the gift of the ancient gods who watch over The Living Titan during his trials to make New Cairo a safe place for all humanity. :)

Once and a while my Lightning Reflexes and extra Speed backfire (they have a Activation 17- -0 Limitation), but most of the time I get them in pretty quickly.

It is the gift of the ancient gods who watch over The Living Titan during his trials to make New Cairo a safe place for all humanity. :)

See now you are rubbing it in! I knew I shouldn't have spent all those points on Comeliness and Teamwork (-17 roll, but Alas, I forgot that I'm by myself and cant use it until AFTER I bought it!)

See now you are rubbing it in! I knew I shouldn't have spent all those points on Comeliness and Teamwork (-17 roll, but Alas, I forgot that I'm by myself and cant use it until AFTER I bought it!)

I have been meaning to comment on how good looking you are, but I thought it might be rude in this forum. :)

Well, I don't have CKC, but there is an example on pg 156 that pretty much laughs at the restriction as well. I just wouldn't want to be pointing this out to a GM who's a stickler for the rules.

Hmmm.... although Restrainable primarily refers to body parts, it's workable. And when I add 1 Recoverable Charge, that would give me around 138 Active Points to play with (I still want to be legal with my advantages though) for 50 Real points.

Thanks. And I'll think about the Ranged modifier.