Shadowsoul's Monster Corner

Shadowsoul

I'm having a bit of writer's block with the Malazan project at the moment so although I'm not abandoning it I'm starting up another thread alongside it.

Basically there are various creature write-ups knocking around in my head and I thought I might as well post them from time to time to see what people thought about them.

The first of these is a malevolent spirit creature for Urban Fantasy Hero and possible also for Horror Hero. The idea is that something very dangerous and evil can lurk amongst innocuous everyday objects.

The Haunt has two forms and so I have split up the descriptions accordingly.

Road Haunt.

Background/History. Once, when the ancient forests were strong and mankind was weak, immortal spirit beings hid amongst the trees and drew on humanity's own fears to find forms in which to hunt them, wolf, bear, snake and many others. These beings, known as Haunts, thrived on pain and despair and took particular enjoyment in inciting humans to fear and loathe the natural animals around them. But the rise of the modern world, bringing with it the destruction of predator species, the cutting down of forests and advances in communication and travel doomed many of these murderous beings to extinction. Yet even as technology banished some terrors it created new ones, less visceral than the howl of the wolf in the night but far more pervasive,

Personality/Motivation. Road Haunts embody the fears of road accidents, dangerous drivers and hit and runs. These Haunts take the form of cars with shadowy drivers and lurk in dark streets and lonely highways in search of prey to run down and crush beneath their wheels. Like all Haunts these spirits thrive on pain and death and the only drive which can overpower their sadistic urges is their own crushing fear of death; there is no afterlife for Haunts.

Campaign Use. Useful as an unusual monster for the party to investigate. Low powered parties may simply need to escape the creature or drive it off while more powerful PCs can take it on. Since it is supernatural and it's Ego is not especially impressive it is entirely possible that a Haunt could be captured or controlled by a human sorcerer or more powerful supernatural being such as a demon.

False Form.

Quote. (The roar of an engine).

Powers/Tactics. Although capable of soaking up more damage than a real car a Haunt is still to all intents a living creature capable of bleeding, feeling pain, losing consciousness and even dying. Therefore Haunts prefer to avoid head on collisions in favour of nudging cars off the road or into each other. When attacking people on foot the Haunt will use its Move Through at full Combat speed if possible but will side-swipe, (Strike), a victim to bring them down if there is little room to manouevre, it will only risk crashing into obstacles if enraged or frightened. A Haunt can be forced into its true form if recognised and named by its victim, it will change its tactics accordingly.

Appearance. Large but nondescript car with a shadowy featureless driver. This appearance is only skin deep and if its hide is damaged pale cloudy spirit-stuff is revealed beneath it. Name: False Form

Val Char Base Cost

30 STR 10 20

16 DEX 10 18

20 CON 10 20

16 BODY10 12

14 INT 10 4

11 EGO 10 2

20 PRE 10 0

10 COM 10 0

8 PD 6 2

8 ED 4 4

3 SPD 2.6 4

15 REC 10 10

40 END 40 0

41 STUN 41 0

24" RUN 6 36

0" SWIM2 -2

6" LEAP 6 0

STR Roll: 15- Lift: 1600.0kg

DEX Roll: 12- Run: 24"

CON Roll: 13- Swim: 0"

INT Roll: 12- Leap: 6"

EGO Roll: 11- PRE Attack: 4d6

PER Roll: 12-

Pts. Power END

18 Road Spirit 1: combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 24 Active Points of 'Running' (x2 Noncombat Movement) (18 Active Points) 0

5 Road Spirit 2: x4 Noncombat Speed for 'Running' (5 Active Points) 0

4 Metallic Hide: Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED) 0

5 Big and Shiny: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Make Presence Attacks (-1)

8 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -4" 0

48 Spirit Creature: Life Support (Character does not breathe; Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) 0

Power Cost: 88

Pts. Skill Roll

3 Analyze: Magic 12- 12-

9 +3 Move Through, Move By and Strike

3 KS: Spirits and Demons 12- 12-

3 KS: Mages, Priests and Dangerous Mortals 12- 12-

0 Language: Spirit Tongue (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 Language: Local Native Language (completely fluent)

5 Navigation (Land) 14- (6 Active Points); Conditional Power Only On Roads (-1/4) 14-

3 Stealth 12- 12-

3 Tracking 12- 12-

Skill Cost: 32

Hair: N/A

Eyes: White

Disadvantages Pts

Physical Limitation: Vehicle (All the Time, Greatly Impairing) [Notes: No manipulation. Cannot move through some terrain or over certain obstacles. No leaping unless it follows movement trajectory.] 20

Physical Limitation: Large (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) 5

Physical Limitation: Forced to assume true form upon hearing the words 'Haunt, I see you'. (Infrequently, Fully Impairing) 15

Physical Limitation: Can Not Speak In Words (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) 5

Rivalry: Professional (Other Haunts; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Steal Prey From Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry) 5

Psychological Limitation: Spiteful and cruel (Common, Strong) 15

Psychological Limitation: Cowardly (Common, Strong) 15

Psychological Limitation: Driven to feed on the deaths of humans (Common, Total) 20

120 Abilities Cost

130 + Characteristics Cost

250 = Total Cost

Base 150

Disadvantages 100

250 Total.

True Form.

Quote. (Howl of thwarted rage).

Powers/Tactics. Shorn of its disguise a Haunt is more vulnerable to physical damage and susceptible to banishment. Nonetheless it still retains enough power to summon armour and weapons of steel and is entirely capable of ripping a weak victim to shreds. If however the Haunt is confronted by multiple armed opponents, a single powerful being such as a mage or vampire or a priest/shaman/occultist performing some kind of banishment ritual such as Catholic Exorcism then it will attempt to flee, using its climbing and stealth abilities to make the most of the urban landscape.

Appearance. Misty and indistinct humanoid with gleaming yellow eyes. Can summon armour and weapons which come in a variety of forms from metallic skin, plated armour or riot gear to swords, axes, claws or pincers.

Name: True Form

Val Char Base Cost

20 STR 10 10

16 DEX 10 18

14 CON 10 8

10 BODY 10 0

14 INT 10 4

10 EGO 10 0

25 PRE 10 0

10 COM 10 0

4/8 PD 4 0

5/9 ED 3 2

3 SPD 2.6 4

7 REC 7 0

28 END 28 0

27 STUN 27 0

6" RUN 6 0

2" SWIM 2 0

4" LEAP 4 0

STR Roll: 13- Lift: 400.0kg

DEX Roll: 12- Run: 6"

CON Roll: 12- Swim: 2"

INT Roll: 12- Leap: 4"

EGO Roll: 11- PRE Attack: 5d6

PER Roll: 12-

Pts. Power END

7 Facade of Fear: +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Make Presence Attacks (-1), Nonpersistent (-1/4)

10 Summoned Armour: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4) 0

30 Summoned Weapon: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points) 0

50 False Form: Multiform (250 Character Points in the most expensive form) 0

48 Spirit Creature: Life Support (Character does not breathe; Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) 0

Power Cost: 145

Pts. Skill Roll

3 Breakfall 12- 12-

3 Climbing 12- 12-

9 +3 Natural Weapons

3 Stealth 12- 12-

3 Tracking 12- 12-

Skill Cost: 33

Height: 2.00 m Hair: N/A

Eyes: Yellow

Disadvantages Pts

Physical Limitation: Can Not Speak In Words (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) 5

Rivalry: Professional (Other Haunts; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Steal Prey From Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry) 5

Psychological Limitation: Driven to feed on the deaths of humans (Common, Total) 20

Susceptibility: Exposure to Certain Religious and Magical Rituals and Amulets. 1d6 damage per Segment (Uncommon) 20

178 Abilities Cost

46 + Characteristics Cost

224 = Total Cost

Base Points : 144

Disads Total + 80

Total Cost = 224

Designer's Notes.

The idea for Road Haunts came from walking down a narrow and dark road with cars whizzing by at potentially lethal speeds.

Note that the Haunt's False form only mimics a vehicle. It is otherwise a 'normal' living creature. It can not be driven, it suffers all the normal vulnerabilities not covered by its life support.

I've come up with this Hit Location Table to use for the False/Car Form. Does that look reasonable?

3-5 Motor/Head. Treat as Head Hit.

6-7 Front Wheels. Treat as Leg Hit.

8-11 Body. Treat as Chest Hit.

12 Chassis. Treat as Stomach Hit.

13 Fuel Tank/Heart. Treat as Vitals Hit.

14-16 Body. Treat as Chest Hit.

17-18. Back Wheels. Treat as Leg Hit.

Incidentally the shadowy driver is an illusion and is no more vulnerable to damage than any other area on the body. The windows are also as tough as the rest of the hide and the doors can not be opened, even cutting them off will simply reveal the misty flesh beneath. But you can let players find out these fascinating facts for themselves.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admiral C

Re: Shadowsoul's Monster Corner

I seem to remember several movies based around possessed vehicles that could serve as inspiration in terms of use. I'm sure there is dozens more than that. My only iteration of this was a vampire taxi cab (the car, not the driver) who was the hunted and hunter of another PC, also another taxi driver complete with his doom cab transforming taxi/rolling gunboat. There was a time during the game when they were discovering that the taxi would drain people in a hit and run fashion and asked if they would become vampires. I said no and left it hanging that cars it hit and "killed" might come back under the taxi's control, ghoul cars. I was thinking about doing a Twisted Metal style adventure in a junk yard but the taxi has another possessed vehicle, the Trucknomancer to raise hulks into zombie cars. I never ran it but the idea is worth recycling.

I wonder if you could add something like a "Flaming Debris" change environment. Something visible with the potential to do damage but still looks like an accident scene.

Cheers for the feedback guys, glad you liked it.

How would the haunt use the Change Environment? Would it leave the illusion behind to fool anyone investigating the accident? Or would it appear to explode when it slammed into another car and damage its victim that way?

Alternatively this 'Flaming Debris' ability could be an attack whichlooked as though a chunk of wreckage had flown off the car? Since the appearance of an attack is up to the person creating the power it could be built as a straightforward Killing Attack.

Something that I forgot while I was writing up the Haunt was that I thought this thread could be a kind of 'swap meet' where people look for ideas but also post their own write-ups if they liked. I'd love to get a look at this vampire taxi cab if you have its stats knocking around somewhere Admiral C.

Guest Admiral C

Cheers for the feedback guys, glad you liked it.

How would the haunt use the Change Environment? Would it leave the illusion behind to fool anyone investigating the accident? Or would it appear to explode when it slammed into another car and damage its victim that way?

Alternatively this 'Flaming Debris' ability could be an attack whichlooked as though a chunk of wreckage had flown off the car? Since the appearance of an attack is up to the person creating the power it could be built as a straightforward Killing Attack.

You could do it several ways, Images to make the illusions of flaming wrecks and to use as lures for passing drivers by having people trapped in cars waving for help.

As a change environment it would be two powers, the actual change environment which would have penalties for running with the limitation "running penalties only vs specific areas within the radius only to simulate and obstacle" such as a car on it's side. And there would be an RKA with AE on it only to simulate fire damage around the car. It would have limitations like "only within in Change Environment" and linked. Images would be much simpler.

You might even give him a mind control to enhance to the fear of a driver trying to outrun the haunt. You could do this as maybe a 1d to 1/2d6 Drain BOECV on Dex only for skill rolls or a straight Drain to their combat driving skill. Drain to Dex just for Dex roll purposes work better if the haunt is chasing people without the Combat Driving skill and not to whose goes first because the haunt wants people to people to act first without regards to their skill.

If you really wanted to get complicated you go to the Drain on BOECV vs Dex only for skill rolls, except on post 12, then it's who goes first AND skill rolls, but only for post 12. The result looks like a lot of chases where the chasee evades, and evades, and then the chaser suddenly speeds up and catches them and rams them. But only for a second. I think they do it mostly for good camera shots.

I'd love to get a look at this vampire taxi cab if you have its stats knocking around somewhere Admiral C.

Unfortunately my Bloodshadows Hero game didn't last. I had some great stuff for it but the game fell apart because some players couldn't get into it. I did end up building the Doomcab, his driver, his DNPC and his base if you'd like it. The player complained about not building it himself, but then again he was incapable of building a character. Wouldn't read the rules, would just scratch down things back by his interpretation of what it meant, sometimes only by a nearby picture.

Guest Admiral C

Sure go ahead. And commiserations about the campaign. It's hard enough to have to sit on a campaign idea through lack of players' date=' must be worse to have it fade out due to lack of player motivation.[/quote']

It wasn't really play motivation as player understanding. Bloodshadows wasn't really appropriate for a group that, before they started gaming with me, just did fantasy. And D&D at that.

The attached is pretty much the character, his base, his car, and his DNPC. I love how when I designed his DNPC the only thing that she was really good at was breaking into the characters stuff. Her locking picking skill was ok but she was much more likely to stow away in the cab or find her way out of his base. And if the car was ever "turned" or captured she might make an unwelcome ally.

Guest Admiral C

That is one hard core cabbie.

The only thing I don't like about him is his simplistic build. The player he was made for, even after a decade coming around when I was playing 4th and then 5th Ed Hero, has the barest notion of the rules rpgs in general. And amazingly enough it was him that introduced me to rpgs but somehow only stayed at "novice" all these years.

Maybe you can use him.

This reminds me of The Lost Underground Dwarven City.

The effect was a Mental Illusion at EGO+20 (Completely alters the setting) with enough dice to have it last for a few minutes.

The illusion is that a otherwise dead underground Dwarven city is actually alive and thriving. The Dwarves are friendly, but do not understand that anything is wrong although they are dressed in clothes that are out of date (assuming anyone can make a roll of KS:Dwarven culture) and the claim that it is fifty years ago (or whenever the city was no longer happy and thriving).

Everytime they breakout, they briefly see the Dwarven city as completely ruined with small stocky skeletons in the places of the Dwarves. There is also floating shadow-like beings which occasionally attack the players, but for the most part, floating high in the air and observing. The skeletons never attack, mimicking the movements of the illusionary Dwarves.

This was an interesting for the players because their characters didn't want to break out of the illusion, they wanted to believe that the Dwarven city somehow survived leaving the inhabitants a little confused of what year it was, but otherwise a perfectly tranquil city.

There was a touching scene with the group's paladin:

Paladin: (softly) "It's time this town was put to rest."

Dwarf Skeleton: "But... But, there is so much that needs to be done, who will remember what we did? What we tried to accomplish?"

Paladin: "I will make sure they will know. I swear."

Guest Admiral C

The effect was a Mental Illusion at EGO+20 (Completely alters the setting) with enough dice to have it last for a few minutes.

The illusion is that a otherwise dead underground Dwarven city is actually alive and thriving. The Dwarves are friendly, but do not understand that anything is wrong although they are dressed in clothes that are out of date (assuming anyone can make a roll of KS: Dwarven culture) and the claim that it is fifty years ago (or whenever the city was no longer happy and thriving).

Everytime they breakout, they briefly see the Dwarven city as completely ruined with small stocky skeletons in the places of the Dwarves. There is also floating shadow-like beings which occasionally attack the players, but for the most part, floating high in the air and observing. The skeletons never attack, mimicking the movements of the illusionary Dwarves.

This was an interesting for the players because their characters didn't want to break out of the illusion, they wanted to believe that the Dwarven city somehow survived leaving the inhabitants a little confused of what year it was, but otherwise a perfectly tranquil city.

I've seen this idea in a few different iterations over the years and it's a really good idea that produces meaningful interactions. It can be played like a dram in the previous case but more often played for horror.

Here's another monster for your amusement. A venemous assassin to bulk out the ranks of any evil organisation.

Noxus

Genre. Any Fantasy. Also Champions or Star Hero with some modification

Background/History There is a theory that it is possible to create a being who's very touch is poisonous by feeding a normal human trace amounts of poison until they are immune to it and then increasing the dose until they are literally sweating the substance in question but remain unaffected by it. The Noxus process is for those sorcerers or cultists of dark gods who do not possess the patience to use this method. Dark rituals bind the mystical essences of 7 deadly poisons into a mortal vessel and create a warrior who feeds on poison and can kill with a touch.

Personality/Motivation The Noxus's motivations are almost certainly a reflection of his master's goals as only the most fanatical of followers are 'honoured' with the Noxus process. If separated or freed from its master or cult the Noxus possesses normal human motivations but will usually be driven by their need to consume toxic substances in order to survive. Noxii without masters will probably find work as assassins, bodyguards or enforcers; nice people do not undergo the Noxus process and so any Noxus character will almost certainly be doing something villainous when encountered by a group of PCs.

Powers/Tactics Noxii are usually trained as stealth killers and will attempt to sneak up on an enemy and grapple with them until the toxins do their work. Against multiple enemies a Noxus will fight defensively and attempt to strike each opponent in turn so as to poison as many targets as possible. If acting as a guard the Noxus will often be equipped with setting appropriate armour that grants as much protection as possible without hampering their movements. Noxii are too precious to be thrown away needlessly and so in battle they will often be supported by lesser minions or other powerful monsters.

Campaign Use As has been noted Noxii make good bodyguards for evil characters and can also serve as a powerful warrior for an evil cult or simply as a dangerous assassin. To make a Noxus more formidable simply increase their combat or stealth skills.

Quote "Can't you feel the poison running through your veins? Don't you know this fight is already over?"

Appearance Muscular human with blood shot eyes and a greenish complexion.

Val Char Base Cost
15 STR 10 5
14 DEX 10 12
20 CON 10 20
14 BODY 10 8
10 INT 10 0
17 EGO 10 14
15 PRE 10 5
6 COM 10 -2
5 PD 3 2
4 ED 4 0
3 SPD 2.4 6
7 REC 7 0
40 END 40 0
32 STUN 32 0
6" RUN 6 0
2" SWIM 2 0
3" LEAP 3 0

STR Roll: 12- Lift: 200.0kg
DEX Roll: 12- Run: 6"
CON Roll: 13- Swim: 2"
INT Roll: 11- Leap: 3"
EGO Roll: 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
PER Roll: 11-

Pts. Power END
36 Spit Caustic Venom: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Range (1 Hex; -1/4) 4
10 Poisoned Blood: Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents) 0
Poisoned Skin
35 1) Dizziness: Drain CON 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), No Normal Defense (Immunity to Toxins; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 6 Hours; +1 1/4) (142 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Requires Skin Contact (-1), Linked (Heart Failure; -1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4) 0
35 2) Weakness: Drain STR 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), No Normal Defense (Immunity to Toxins; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 6 Hours; +1 1/4) (142 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Requires Skin Contact (-1), Linked (Heart Failure; -1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4) 0
56 3) Heart Failure: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Immunity to Toxins; +1), Does BODY (+1) (225 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Conditional Power Requires Skin Contact (-1), No Range (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4) 0
72 4) Spreading The Taint: Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Target Must Consume Some Of The Focus; +3/4) for up to 130 Active Points of Poisoned Skin, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (145 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1) 0
Power Cost: 244

Pts. Skill Roll
3 Acrobatics 12- 12-
3 Breakfall 12- 12-
3 Climbing 12- 12-
10 +2 with HTH Combat
3 Shadowing 11- 11-
3 Stealth 12- 12-
Skill Cost: 25

Pts. Martial Arts
4 Spider Fang: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3 Serpent's Grip: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on
4 Caustic Breath: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 4d6
Martial Arts Cost: 11
Base Points : 75
Disads Total + 70
Experience Spent + 205
Total Cost = 350

280 Abilities Cost
70 + Characteristics Cost
350 = Total Cost

Disadvantages Pts
Dependence: Powerful Toxins Takes 3d6 Damage (Difficult To Obtain, 6 Hours) 15
Physical Limitation: Constant low level pain (All the Time, Slightly Impairing) 15
Psychological Limitation: Fanatically loyal (Common, Total) 20
Distinctive Features: Unnatural pallor, red eyes and sores on skin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) 10
Reputation: Unnatural abomination against mankind, 8- (Extreme) 10

Designer's Notes This monster is adapted from a character who featured as an antagonist in the Sci-Fi TV Series 'Invisible Man'. The character in question was created through scientific research rather than magic.

• 3 weeks later...

The first two monsters were fairly dark so I'm going for something in a lighter vein this time.

Leaf Monkey

Genre High Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Champions if given a power boost.

Background/History Many strange things lie hidden in the jungles of the world and of these the so called 'Leaf Monkey' is one of the more curious. They are said to be the servants of the jungle spirits and guardians of those sorcerous trees which have learned to walk. The truth is that these creatures possess power over the inanimate, though it is unknown whether this ability was somehow evolved or simply granted by some kind of supernatural agency. Although they are harmless herbivores these forest imps have been known to cause great havoc when taken out of their natural habitat.

Personality/Motivation Normal animal motivations combined with a playful attitude similar to that of a human child. Male Leaf Monkeys are more than usually determined in their pursuit of mates.

Powers/Tactics Male Leaf Monkeys possess the power to animate inanimate objects while females can cause plants and trees to grow so fast that the change seems instantaneous to the human eye. Though they are not aggressive, Leaf Monkeys will use these tactics to confuse or distract predators while they make their escape. Males will use their ability to create playmates while females often use their power to create stores of food. It is not unknown for mating pairs to combine their powers.
Since they can not escape at great speed Leaf Monkeys prefer to go to ground or creep away via appropriate cover; they are not above hitching a lift on something that is bigger than them but not overtly hostile e.g. cars, horses.

Campaign Use These creatures are not malevolent but can still be thrown into conflict with PCs. Leaf Monkeys of either sex make for exotic pets and may also serve as useful familiars to Wizards and the like. They are trainable and could be used to a character's advantage e.g. creating an orchard in a day or using animated objects as guards of a sort. With their mischievous natures wild specimens that end up in urban areas will cause great disruption and PCs may be hired to put a stop to their games. A male's quest to find a female can provide more structure to such a hunt.

Quote "High pitched chattering"

Appearance Large, (foot high), monkey with green and brown dappled fur.

Male

Val Char Base Cost
6 STR 10 -4
14 DEX 10 12
10 CON 10 0
6 BODY 10 -8
10 INT 10 0
10 EGO 10 0
0 PRE 10 -10
10 COM 10 0
1 PD 1 0
2 ED 2 0
3 SPD 2.4 6
3 REC 3 0
20 END 20 0
14 STUN 14 0
1" RUN 6 -10
1" SWIM 2 -1
0" LEAP 1 -1

Pts. Power END
30 Spark Of Life: Summon 16 75-point Animated Objects, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Any Object (+1/2) (61 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Object Of Opportunity; -1/2), Limited Power Requires One Object Per Creature Summoned (-1/2) 6
1 Jungle Creature: Swinging 1" 1
10 Too Cute To Die: Luck 2d6 0
6 Sharp Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups 0
9 Perceive Pheremone Trail: Detect Female Leaf Monkey 14-/12- (Smell/Taste Group), Tracking 0
5 Prehensile Tail: Extra Limb (1) 0
Power Cost: 61

Pts. Skill Roll
1 Acting 8- 8-
3 Acrobatics 12- 12-
3 Breakfall 12- 12-
7 Climbing 14- 14-
20 +4 with DCV
2 Concealment 11- (3 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 11-
5 +4 with Concealment (Self Only)
3 Stealth 12- 12-
8 +4 with Stealth
4 +2 Climbing, Stealth and Concealment (6 Active Points); Conditional Power Only amongst vegetation (-1/2)
Skill Cost: 56

Pts. Talents
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talent Cost: 6

Disadvantages Pts
Physical Limitation: Near Human Intelligence (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) 10
Physical Limitation: Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) 10
Psychological Limitation: Playful (Common, Strong) 15
Reputation: Valuable Animal, 8- (Known Only To A Small Group) 0

123 Abilities Cost
-16 + Characteristics Cost
107 = Total Cost
Base Points : 72

Disads Total + 35
Experience Spent + 0
Total Cost = 107

Female
Val Char Base Cost
6 STR 10 -4
14 DEX 10 12
10 CON 10 0
6 BODY 10 -8
10 INT 10 0
10 EGO 10 0
0 PRE 10 -10
10 COM 10 0
1 PD 1 0
2 ED 2 0
3 SPD 2.4 6
3 REC 3 0
20 END 20 0
14 STUN 14 0
1" RUN 6 -10
1" SWIM 2 -1
0" LEAP 1 -1

Pts. Power END
60 Green Fingers: Minor Transform 6d6 (Small Flora into fully grown/large Flora)
1 Jungle Creature: Swinging 1" 1
10 Too Cute To Die: Luck 2d6 0
6 Sharp Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups 0
4 Perceive Pheromones: Detect Male Leaf Monkey 14-/12- (Smell/Taste Group)
5 Prehensile Tail: Extra Limb (1) 0
Power Cost: 61

Pts. Skill Roll
1 Acting 8- 8-
3 Acrobatics 12- 12-
3 Breakfall 12- 12-
7 Climbing 14- 14-
20 +4 with DCV
2 Concealment 11- (3 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 11-
5 +4 with Concealment (Self Only)
3 Stealth 12- 12-
8 +4 with Stealth
4 +2 Climbing, Stealth and Concealment (6 Active Points); Conditional Power Only amongst vegetation (-1/2)
Skill Cost: 56

Pts. Talents
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talent Cost: 6

Disadvantages Pts
Physical Limitation: Near Human Intelligence (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) 10
Physical Limitation: Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) 10
Psychological Limitation: Playful (Common, Strong) 15
Reputation: Valuable Animal, 8- (Known Only To A Small Group) 0

148 Abilities Cost
-16 + Characteristics Cost
132 = Total Cost
Base Points : 75
Disads Total + 35
Experience Spent + 22
Total Cost = 132

Design Notes Simply an attempt to create a creature that will provide a slightly different challenge to adventuring parties i.e something that is not dangerous as such but is troublesome and quite difficult to catch.

The abilities and characteristics of an object animated by Spark of Life are of course based on the original object.

Note that the male will make no attempt to control his creations but any interaction will be friendly on both sides.

The difficulty of a particular use of the Green Fingers power can be calculated by working out how much the increase in size template would increase Body, Def and KB resistance. For example turning a Small tree into a Large tree would increase its Body by 3, (or to 13, whichever is higher), and its KB Resistance by -3. Alternatively you could just state that each Hex of increased area costs 5 character points i.e. it increases the effective 'Body' of the target by 1 for the purposes of defining difficulty.

Note that Green Fingers is a minor transform because it does not completely bypass the laws of nature, the Leaf Monkey's magic provides some energy for the growth but GMs can, (if they care to), impose limits on how much a target can grow depending on the quality of soil, moisture levels and access to sunlight.

Cruel GMs may stretch the definition of Green Fingers and apply it to mobile or predatory plants such as Venus Fly Traps but should draw the line at supernatural creatures such as Dryads,
depends on the object itself. Body translates directly, Def becomes Armour. Int, Ego etc are up to the GM to decide within the limits of the Active Point level. Skills and Powers may be assigned where appropriate. Movement powers are up to the GM but should not be ridiculous, a sword may be able to hop along on its point but should not fly.

Options

Male

Leaf King

+2 Body 4

+3 Pre 3

+3 Str 3

Replace Spark of Life with this ability

Flame of Life Summon 16 150-point Animated Objects, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Any Object (+1/2) (87 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Object Of Opportunity; -1/2), Limited Power Requires One Object Per Creature Summoned (-1/2) 43

Female

Nurse of the Forest.

Add this ability.

Healing Hands Healing BODY 4d6, Can Heal Limbs (45 Active Points); Limited Power Plantlife Only (-1) 22

• 2 weeks later...

This monster is an adaptation of one of the more interesting enemies in Devil May Cry 1. I have not kept strictly to the abilities and attack patterns of the original demon.

Shadow

Genre
High Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery.

Background Evil demons that once haunted ancient battlegrounds and added their own killing sprees to the general slaughter. In modern times they lurk in places where battle or murder were once commonplace and dream of the lost glories of the past.

Personality/Motivation Shadows are all about killing things. What they do the rest of the time is of little interest, possibly even to themselves.

Powers/Tactics The keys to a Shadow's attacks are mobility and range. Although they prefer the form of a huge panther Shadows can stretch and shift their bodies into an unlimited number of shapes and use this ability to strike at their opponent from a distance and often from an unexpected direction. They will also use their runnning, leaping and clinging powers to outflank or ambush opponents. One favoured tactic is for the Shadow to compress itself down into a dark pool not much thicker than a real shadow and send out a long tendril of darkness that drives spikes upwards into their opponent's body from ground level. Shadows attack without fear and will continue to fight even if badly wounded or surrounded.

Campaign Use Shadows can be used as a 'random encounter' in ruins, castles, dungeons, catacombs, old battlefields and other unpleasant or gothic areas. In plot terms a Shadow could be the manifestation of the malice in a cursed or haunted area, (in which case a ritual may be required to force it to manifest). Alternatively they make fine pets and guard dogs, (cats), for evil sorcerers and necromancers. Also a good summon for a Shadow Mage regardless of his morality.

Quote (Unexplained rock music plays in the background as the PCs fight it).

Appearance Shadow beast in the form of a big black panther with glowing red eyes. Also a pool of shadow, a huge spike or a ball of lighter shadow, (when stunned or unconscious).

Val Char Base Cost
20 STR 10 10
18 DEX 10 24
16 CON 10 12
18 BODY 10 16
13 INT 10 3
13 EGO 10 6
20 PRE 10 10
10 COM 10 0
4 PD 4 0
3 ED 3 0
3 SPD 2.8 2
7 REC 7 0
32 END 32 0
36 STUN 36 0
12" RUN 6 12
2" SWIM 2 0

8" LEAP 4 0

Pts. Power END
45 Shadowshift Attacks: Multipower, 45-point reserve
4u 1) Spike: Hand To Hand Killing Attack 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points) 4
3u 2) Leap/Charge: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Conditional Power Must move at least 6" (-1/4) 0
2u 3) Rake/Trispike: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (25 Active Points) 2
28 Molten Shadow: Shape Shift (Sight and Touch Groups, any shape), Instant Change, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (57 Active Points); Limited Power Can not change colour or texture (-1) 0
7 Shadow Slide: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Linked (Molten Shadow; -1/2) 0
2 Shadow Armour: Damage Resistance (4 PD/3 ED) (3 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4) 0
30 Attenuation: Stretching 6", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); No Velocity Damage (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) 0
4 Leaping +4" (8" forward, 4" upward) 1
Power Cost: 125

Pts. Skill Roll
3 Acrobatics 13- 13-
6 +2 Shadow attacks
6 Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Autofire with Rake/Trispike
3 Breakfall 13- 13-
3 Concealment 12- 12-
2 KS: Warfare 11- 11-
3 Stealth 13- 13-
Skill Cost: 26

Pts. Talents
14 Fearless
Talent Cost: 14

Disadvantages Pts
Susceptibility: Strong Light 1d6 damage per Phase (Common) 20
Physical Limitation: Cannot cross certain mystical barriers (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing) 10
Physical Limitation: Greatly Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Greatly Impairing) 15
Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Fire (Common) 10
Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Fire (Common) 10

165 Abilities Cost
95 + Characteristics Cost
260 = Total Cost
Base Points: 195
Disads Total +65
Total Cost 260

Design Notes As I said this is not an exact match to the original monster but I've tried to make it a little more versatile. One ability which I left out is a virtual invulnerability to HtH damage while conscious. This power can be built as 10 points of Resistant PD combined with 75% Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant. (Nonpersistent, Only against melee attacks).

I added in the Vulnerabilities to make the Shadow more a creature of darkness. They can be removed to make it more versatile/formidable. Psy lims such as 'Murderous', 'Utterly Evil' or 'Loyal to greater demons' make good replacements for these Disadvantages.

The illusion is that a otherwise dead underground Dwarven city is actually alive and thriving. The Dwarves are friendly, but do not understand that anything is wrong although they are dressed in clothes that are out of date (assuming anyone can make a roll of KS:Dwarven culture) and the claim that it is fifty years ago (or whenever the city was no longer happy and thriving).

There was a touching scene with the group's paladin:

Paladin: (softly) "It's time this town was put to rest."

Dwarf Skeleton: "But... But, there is so much that needs to be done, who will remember what we did? What we tried to accomplish?"

Paladin: "I will make sure they will know. I swear."

1) I´d give you Rep but I can´t.

2) Why isn´t this over in the Quote of the Week thread, hm? And what happened to the city to make it the way it was? Did the paladin fulfill his vow?

• 2 weeks later...

Another Haunt. This one is more specialised but still pretty nasty.

White Haunt

Genre Urban Fantasy

Background While some Haunts took predatory forms and hunted humans through the night others were content to feed on poorer prey. These scavengers came in the wake of famine, plague and war to feast on the weakened and the dying. The world is hardly free from disease, disaster and strife even today and so these Haunts remain relatively common in many parts of the world. In more peaceful areas however some of these Carrion Haunts have found a replacement for the battlegrounds and plague pits of the old days.
Hospitals. These are places dedicated to healing and symbolic of mankind's ability to defy a dangerous world. But they are also places where the sick and the dying congregate and as such provide an unwitting feeding ground for the specialised Haunts known as 'White Haunts'.

Personality/Motivation Although similar in personality to a Road Haunt a White Haunt is more scavenger than hunter and is acutely aware of its comparative frailty. Even in its False Form it will avoid direct confrontation where possible. When faced with a helpless victim however the White Haunt will take great pleasure in inflicting a lingering death. Survival is the Haunt's creed but sadism is its pleasure.

Powers/Tactics The White Haunt's preferred tactic is to find an ailing victim and paralyze them with its Hush ability then slowly kill them with its Smother ability. If confronted by armed opponents the White Haunt will try running and if cornered will resort to fighting with the nasty array of poisoned needles which it can extrude from its fingers. It may use these poisons on helpless targets as well from time to time, if only for the sake of variety.

Quote (Hiss of murderous satisfaction as another victim perishes).

Appearance Nondescript human wearing glasses and a long white doctor's coat. Colourless eyes.

False Form

Val Char Base Cost
15 STR 10 5
18 DEX 10 24
14 CON 10 8
12 BODY 10 4
13 INT 10 3
14 EGO 10 8
15 PRE 10 5
10 COM 10 0
3/5 PD 3 0
3/5 ED 3 0
3 SPD 2.8 2
6 REC 6 0
28 END 28 0
27 STUN 27 0
6" RUN 6 0
2" SWIM 2 0
3" LEAP 3 0

Pts. Power END
120 Haunt Attacks: Multipower, 120-point reserve
8u 1) Syndrome One: Drain BODY and Con 3d6, Two Powers simultaneously (Body, Con, Ego, ; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Month; +2) (120 Active Points); Linked (Needles; Needles must inflict Body Damage; -1/2) 0
8u 2) Syndrome Two: Drain EGO and STR 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Two Powers simultaneously (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Month; +2) (120 Active Points); Linked (Needles; Needles must inflict Body Damage; -1/2) 0
2u 3) Smother: Drain BODY 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1) (30 Active Points); Limited Power No Range (-1/2) 0
4u 4) Hush: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (50 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4) 0
22 Needles: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points) 0
6 Unnatural Protection: Armor (2 PD/2 ED) 0
Power Cost: 218

Pts. Skill Roll
13 Bureaucratics 15-, Ranged (+1/2) (13 Active Points) 15-
3 Climbing 13- 13-
3 +1 with Haunt Attacks
3 Concealment 12- 12-
2 Navigation (Hospitals and Emergency Zones) 12- 12-
2 Paramedics 12- (3 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Undo Paramedics Of Others (-1/2) 12-
3 Shadowing 12- 12-
3 Stealth 13- 13-
Skill Cost: 44

Disadvantages Pts
Physical Limitation: Forced to assume true form upon hearing the words 'Haunt, I see you'. (Infrequently, Fully Impairing) 15
Psychological Limitation: Sadistic (Common, Strong) 15

262 Abilities Cost
59 + Characteristics Cost
321 = Total Cost

Base Points : 268
Disads Total + 75
Experience Spent + 0
Total Cost = 321

True Form

(Skreee!)

Appearance Misty, worm-like creature with oversized fangs and clawed limbs.

Val Char Base Cost
10 STR 10 0
16 DEX 10 18
12 CON 10 4
8 BODY 10 -4
14 INT 10 4
10 EGO 10 0
15 PRE 10 0
6 COM 10 -2
2/4 PD 2 0
3/5 ED 2 1
3 SPD 2.6 4
4 REC 4 0
24 END 24 0
19 STUN 19 0
6" RUN 6 0
2" SWIM 2 0
2" LEAP 2 0

Pts. Power END
2 Hiss: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Make Hostile Presence Attacks (-1), Nonpersistent (-1/4)
5 Slimy Scales: Armor (2 PD/2 ED) (6 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4) 0
22 Claws And Fanges: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points) 0
74 False Form: Multiform (343 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change) 0
Power Cost: 151

Pts. Skill Roll
3 Breakfall 12- 12-
3 Climbing 12- 12-
3 +1 Natural Weapons
3 Stealth 12- 12-
Skill Cost: 24

Disadvantages Pts
Susceptibility: Exposure to Certain Religious and Magical Rituals and Amulets. 1d6 damage per Segment (Uncommon) 20

175 Abilities Cost
25 + Characteristics Cost
200 = Total Cost

Base Points : 120
Disads Total + 80
Experience Spent + 0
Total Cost = 200

Design Notes Having created one type of Haunt I got to thinking about what other niches these evil creatures could fill in the modern world and this is what I came up with. Look out for more Haunts in this space.

I deliberately made this Haunt less physically imposing than its Road Haunt cousin to reflect the fact that it is a scavenger and doesn't feed as well as its predatory counterpart.

BTW. Rep and respect to anyone who can suggest or write up a Haunt concept that I haven't come up with yet. At some point I will probably write up a normal Carrion Haunt as well as a mysterious Haunt which lurks on the internet and drains the life from unsuspecting websurfers.

Memory manipulation haunt.

It appears to be an eccentric to slightly mad, high maintenance, very needy relative that no one likes but to the person (or family) that it haunts they feel compelled to look after.

People that aren't being haunted by it, don't see it as such, it appears more alien/monstrous than just a black sheep relative, but are often put off by the obsessive codependancy that the haunted show it.

The haunt never was a relative of any kind to the victims - its sole power is to gradually manipulate memories of its victims to insinuate itself into their lives. It feeds on wasted time, patronisation and petty bickering. A life vampire.

I'm tempted to write up some chronovore creatures from Doctor Who, but I think they're out of scope for this thread :)

Notably - Weeping Angels that feed on the potential energy of a victim's displaced time and the Time Beetle which feeds on alternate timeline energy.

1) I´d give you Rep but I can´t.

2) Why isn´t this over in the Quote of the Week thread, hm? And what happened to the city to make it the way it was? Did the paladin fulfill his vow?

I'd put it over there, but I thought the explanation was too long.

After saying that, I will give a full explanation of what happened.

My gameworld is built on the premise that it was once a decadent high-magic world (we're talking floating cloud cities).

And then, one day, it all collapsed (literally with the cloud cities). Elves started becoming sick and either died or went away. Humans adapted, but without magic returned to a medieval society.

The Dwarves were an interesting case. They could have survived the lost of magic but they died of alcohol poisoning, since their resistance was based on magic. The magic went away slowly enough that they didn't realize what was happening until it far too late.

Now, magic didn't fade away completely (although try telling that to some poor farmer who had to raise crops the old-fashion way). Under certain conditions (say underground where a huge population suddenly died), the magic didn't go away, but became somewhat... changed.

This necromantic magic manefested itself in floating shadows that fed on whatever it could to surrive. When the magic came back, the shadows learned that it could give the dwarves a false semblance of life. Somehow the shadows learned that it could feed off the dwarves in the same way we would raise cows and drink milk. A slight illusion and the dwarven city was ready for adventures to come in and give the shadows something more meaty to feed upon.

The game is in hiatus, so I don't know if the paladin will fulfill his vow.