Mottos for use in games

matrix3

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Mottos for use in games

Here's a few that may or may not qualify as mottos...

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."

(from X-Men 2099)

It may qualify as a motto, but it doesn't qualify as from X Men. It's from a WWII song written by a man named Frank Loesser, and the actual phrase is supposedly something said by a chaplain at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked it.

US Army motto: This we'll defend

US Air Force motto: Above all

Lucius Alexander

"Live not on evil" is a motto for a palindromedary

John Crichton:

• I try to save a life a day... usually it's mine.
  • I hate it when villains quote Shakespeare.
  • Haven't you read the Super Villain's Handbook? This is where you're supposed to twirl your mustache and gloat.
  • Can I get a, "Hell, yeah."?
  • Ah, screw it. But I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas.
  • I love waiting to see how things go South.
  • Hey, Sleeping Beauty... wake up and die...
  • Freeze! Don’t move! Or I’ll fill you full of....little yellow bolts of light!

It may qualify as a motto, but it doesn't qualify as from X Men. It's from a WWII song written by a man named Frank Loesser, and the actual phrase is supposedly something said by a chaplain at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked it.

No worries, I believe you as to that quote's original source, but the place where I read it was X-Men 2099. It's been a while, but I do remember it being uttered by one of the nuns who ministered to victims of narcotics wars in Central America.

The original source is much more poignant of course.

No worries, I believe you as to that quote's original source, but the place where I read it was X-Men 2099. It's been a while, but I do remember it being uttered by one of the nuns who ministered to victims of narcotics wars in Central America.

Cromwell supposedly said "Trust in the Lord, but keep your powder dry."

The reason I'm asking us to define motto is that I don't think everything posted would or could really be a "motto."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks "step on no pets" makes a fine motto

Not everything may be a motto but may lend itself to a a motto. "Those who dare, win" is a motto of the SAS. "Molon Labe" is sort of a motto, most 2nd amendment supporters know what it means. Mottos are short, and illustrate some virtue or defining feature of a group.

I only learned about that recently - I always thought it was just made up for the song.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary proposes a motto for lawyers: Si nummi immunis

There is no justice. There is only defense, and deterrence, and revenge.

From The Cassini Division

Lucius Alexander

Wash the sin as well as the face, says the palindromedary, but it's all Greek to me.

What are some of your favorite mottos' date=' and have you used them in games?[/quote']

Both of these mottos come from campaigns I've played in. Both would work for Dark Champions villains.

"Crazy, not stupid."

- originally used by Malkavians, but would work equally well for the Idiot King

"Anything that's not nailed down is mine. Anything that I can pry loose is not nailed down."

- originally used by gypsies in a fantasy game, but would work equally well for any thieves