Rules Q (not in the FAQ)

theskaven

Re: Rules Q (not in the FAQ)

Originally posted by theskaven

I know he doesn't suffer from the PER modifier, but does he have the minus to his OCV?

Shrinking effects all PER Modifiers except for Mental Groups. So someone who is -10 PER is -10 to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, and unusual senses such as Radar. So the character with the Targeting Hearing has just as hard a time finding the character as someone with Targeting Sight.

Re: Re: Rules Q (not in the FAQ)

Originally posted by Monolith

Shrinking effects all PER Modifiers except for Mental Groups. So someone who is -10 PER is -10 to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, and unusual senses such as Radar. So the character with the Targeting Hearing has just as hard a time finding the character as someone with Targeting Sight.

I agree. A targeting sense is simply the one of five senses you use to focus on the target. For most of us this would be the sight group. A PC with Targeting Sense (Hearing) would simply give him the ability to close his eyes and still "see" the target. This would not, however, confer any bonus to hit in order to counterbalance any CV penalties. For THAT you'd need some Combat Skill Levels.

thanks

Thanks much. Sounds like a consensus. Wow, sure makes shrinking a lot more powerful in my mind. I have a hero in my group with lots of levels of shrinking (size alteration powers) .. his DCV often gets up into the upper teens / low 20's.

How do you GM's usually handle this? The character has a hunted with a gadget pool who would be aware of his powers. My current line of thinking is to give the hunted some sort of area of effect attack.

skaven

Re: thanks

How do you GM's usually handle this? The character has a hunted with a gadget pool who would be aware of his powers. My current line of thinking is to give the hunted some sort of area of effect attack.

Area Effect attacks and Mentalists are always a good workaround. Shrinkers are supposed to be hard to hit though. That's why they do not take lots of defenses. If a player brought me a shrinking character with 25 PD/ED I would have to give that some serious thought and really delve into character concept before I would approve it.

Area Effect is really the main power. Thinks like Darkness and other sense modifying powers that cover an area are also good attacks to use against shrinkers.

Well the hero in question has his powers centered around the fact that he shrinks 10 levels and flies into people like a bullet. So to prevent damage from the movethrough he has a rather hefty force field (not to mention flight).

I sure do hate crafting villains around one hero's weaknesses though because it's not fair to the other heroes.

Oh well, thanks for the reply. I'll keep thinking on it.

skaven

Well the hero in question has his powers centered around the fact that he shrinks 10 levels and flies into people like a bullet. So to prevent damage from the movethrough he has a rather hefty force field (not to mention flight).

To prevent damage from movethroughs but leave the character otherwise normally subject to injury, drop the forcefield and have him buy PD "Only vs. Movethroughs and Move-Bys" -1

Originally posted by SCUBA Hero

To prevent damage from movethroughs but leave the character otherwise normally subject to injury, drop the forcefield and have him buy PD "Only vs. Movethroughs and Move-Bys" -1

Also consider SFX during play.. If your vilain is a brick and is getting frustrated trying to hit this guy, it isn't unreasonable to have him pick up a car and swing it at the shrunkin hero. This would give the effect of AE hex on his STR.

Originally posted by Chaosliege

Also consider SFX during play.. If your vilain is a brick and is getting frustrated trying to hit this guy, it isn't unreasonable to have him pick up a car and swing it at the shrunkin hero. This would give the effect of AE hex on his STR.

That, or the villain's a gadgeteer, right? Suppress Shrinking will make him considerably easier to hit, and would certainly fit the villain's MO. Splat away.