Steve Long

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Re: 6th Edition Character Sheet

Hiya.

Hope this doesn't count as thread necro, but the subject title was apt.

I'm one of those "don't really care about points after the fact" kind of guy, and neither are my players. Believe it or not, one of the (if not the) biggest hang ups we have for not playing HERO is the character sheet. Every time I look at it I'm instantly reminded about points. Reading the book...points. Looking at skills...points. Equipment...points. After character creation, we could give a rodents behind about points. What we would *love* to see is two seperate character sheets; one sheet would be for in-play character info (stats, equipment, skills, etc.) that would have just the in-game info...*no points* listed anywhere. The other sheet would be a "character creation worksheet", where each thing and it's associated cost would be written down.

If there was a character sheet out there that just focused on bringing the 'feel' of a character out, without shining a glaring light on every little point cost and detail. Hmmm....here's what I'm thinking, but for HERO...: http://www.goblin-online.net/download/download.html (scroll down a bit to "Character Sheet, Side __ "). The worksheet would look, well, almost like the normal HERO sheet but focused more on the creation aspect of points cost.

I did try to make my own, and got ok results, but would really like to see if anyone else out there has already done this. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Hiya.

Paul

There are quite a few examples on this thread. Have you read through it yet?

Doc

I have now... :) I did like that one of the female Lucre wrestler woman. That's the idea I'm looking for; something that says "This is a fantasy/sci-fi/horror/whatever game and here's the info you need during a game session". That's the kind of sheet I'm looking for. Alas, I have yet to find one. :( Maybe if I get motivated I'll have to get back to creating my own.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I think the Nirvana is customised sheets for individual characters and games. Hero Designer is pretty cool as you can design output to be pretty much what you want - you will not get the level of customisation in Teh Bunneh's sheet but you could standardise blocks of information that Hero Designer would fill and have customised artwork for the remaining space.

That would allow you to have constantly updateable character stats that you can print out into a lovely sheet whenever you want - you could also have that same information print out into a 'design sheet' where all of the nuts and bolts are visible - like a standard sheet where you or the player can see what is actually going on rules wise and add/edit the details of the rules.

There is work to be done there, not least getting your head around the output of Hero Designer into various formats, but there are some keen geeky kids on the forums that are always willing to help with that kind of thing. The gain in gameplay should be worth it though. Think of it as an investment for future enjoyment!! :)

Doc

I have now... :) I did like that one of the female Lucre wrestler woman. That's the idea I'm looking for; something that says "This is a fantasy/sci-fi/horror/whatever game and here's the info you need during a game session". That's the kind of sheet I'm looking for.

Thank you! As Doc Democracy said, my Lucha Libre character sheets are heavily customized; each one of them is a one-off done with professional page-layout software. But I think RP Miller (on these boards) once said he was going to try to make a HeroDesigner export character sheet using the same basic layout, including the lack of numbers. You might ping him (or just look in the HeroDesigner forums, since there's plenty of conversations there about custom HD layouts).

Good luck!

Hiya.

Hope this doesn't count as thread necro, but the subject title was apt.

I'm one of those "don't really care about points after the fact" kind of guy, and neither are my players. Believe it or not, one of the (if not the) biggest hang ups we have for not playing HERO is the character sheet. Every time I look at it I'm instantly reminded about points. Reading the book...points. Looking at skills...points. Equipment...points. After character creation, we could give a rodents behind about points. What we would *love* to see is two seperate character sheets; one sheet would be for in-play character info (stats, equipment, skills, etc.) that would have just the in-game info...*no points* listed anywhere. The other sheet would be a "character creation worksheet", where each thing and it's associated cost would be written down.

If there was a character sheet out there that just focused on bringing the 'feel' of a character out, without shining a glaring light on every little point cost and detail. Hmmm....here's what I'm thinking, but for HERO...: http://www.goblin-online.net/download/download.html (scroll down a bit to "Character Sheet, Side __ "). The worksheet would look, well, almost like the normal HERO sheet but focused more on the creation aspect of points cost.

I did try to make my own, and got ok results, but would really like to see if anyone else out there has already done this. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I'm in the same boat as you. The main issues with removing costs comes with Multipowers and Equipment, due to program output. I could post the current incarnation of my work in progress when I have the opportunity for you to look.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have created a version of the Excel sheet that allows for automated handling of Characteristic Maxima, lets skills/perks/talents be selected from a dropdown plus autocalculates rolls for the less complicated skills, and includes another worksheet to assist with the math of creating powers. I'd like to post it here so others can make use of it and offer suggestions for improvement, but wanted to check first to be sure that there is no issue with the fact that the sheet includes all of the skill/perk/talents names and costs. I'm not sure where the line between added convenience and "you compete too directly with HERO Designer" lies.

In the absence of anyone forbidding it, here's what I've got. I'm happy to take it down if need be.

These are xlsx format because they use some of the newer Excel features that are not supported in xls format.

A version of the sheet that is very similar to the original in layout, it just has some added functionality:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2NVfE0AS4pib1d0Z2VWVHE2U1E/edit?usp=sharing

A version of the sheet that separates character creation from character reference. The goal is to hide details that are useful in character creation but not in gameplay out of the way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2NVfE0AS4piRm9RVVJJVlY0dGs/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by BouquetOfFlowers

• 3 months later...