Zeppelins

mattingly

This probably belongs in NGD, but it's fun and pulpy.

Yesterday, I won in a citywide impromptu speaking contest at Toastmasters. We started with nineteen contestants, then voted for the best seven, then three, then one.

My first round question was:

"You have just been appointed to the mayor's council on transportation. What changes do you suggest?"

I immediately answered: "Zeppelins!" Then I went into all the reasons that zeppelins are totally awesome, and how it could be made even more fun by dropping passengers off with a series of bungee cords and sliding boards.

I was almost unanimously voted to advance to the next round with that one.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Zeppelins

I co-ran an adventure (2 GMs working in parallel) which involved the PCs hijacking a commuter blimp in the 24th Century (IIRC), dropping off the passengers, picking up a load of mathematicians at a conference, and funneling their captives through a time warp (whose entry was a couple hundred meters off the ground, hence the need for air transport) into permanent captivity.

It was a time-travel adventure/campaign, and they were trying to prevent the invention of time travel by preemptively abducting the mathematicians who showed that it was possible and indicated the way to go about implementing it. One half of the party did the abductions of the mathematicians, the other half did the blimp hijacking. Both halves of the party occasionally picked up snippets from other and asked questions ("Airship?!? Where did an airship get into this?")

It was somewhere between manic and slapstick.

That would be good. I was hoping to go for the 30-minute ride for $200 (as opposed to the hour ride for $500), but I don't see that on the schedule anymore. I'll just have to save up a little longer.

Last night I had a dream that I almost had enough for a trip and heard the company was going belly up. Thank God that was just a dream! :fear:

Edit: A steampunk event would be great, since I've been thinking of making a Steampunk movie. :think:

An interesting airship design i had for a campaign....

Devious Dirigible

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

10 SIZE 0 50 10 Cabin size only (SB) Length 10", Width 5", Area 50", Mass 100 tons , KB -10, DCV Mod -6

64 STR 60 4 64 22- HTH 13d6 END [2], Lift 182,000 pounds (83 t) addl.

18 DEX 10 39 23 14- OCV: 6/DCV: 0

3 SPD 2.8 2 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

11 DEF 2 27 11

20 BODY 20 0 20 13-

0" Ground Mv 6 -12 0"

0" Water Mv 2 -2 0"

0" Leaping 0 0 10" 64 Total Characteristics Points

15 Dirigible Directors: 16” Flight, x4 NCM (37A),

12 Phasing: Desolid, OIF Bulky Immobile (-1 1/2), Fuel Dependent (Very Common, refuel Once per 6 Hours; -¾), Limited Coverage (everywhere but the Cabin, -1/4)

52 Gunnery Posts: 3d6 RKA (vs. PD), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), 2000 Charges (+1), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (157 A); OIF Bulky, Immobile (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

15 Multiple Gunnery Posts: 7 Gunnery posts dispersed throughout the cabin

6 Transistor Twister: Cosmetic Transform 6d6 (Scrambles the codes Computer Transistor to make it untraceable and unusable) (30 A); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4)

9 Computer Transistor: Mind Link, One Specific Mind (Pilot), No LOS Needed, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (22 A); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Restrainable (By EMP's; -1/4)

15 Sight Sensors 14- (Sight Group)

10 +5 with Gunnery Posts

5 Waldos: Extra limbs

Regeneration powers (damage control and repair systems.)

Disadvantages

15 ‘Fans’ of the Developer: Hunted: Super Heroes 8-, Mo Pow, Harshly Punish

25 Drigible Sized: DCV Mod is -20, gas chamber Length is 120 Hexes, width is 20 hexes, and has a height of 23 Hexes.

20 Sailing Away: x2 effect from winds and air based powers

5 Reputation: Failure

20 Distinctive features: Evil Male.

Vehicular Description

This vehicle represents some of the most interesting combinations of technology invented yet by Art Carson A dirigible that floats because of it’s air cells being protected by existing out of phase with the rest of the world.

Super Sparrowhawks

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

4 SIZE 0 20 4 Length 3", Width 4", Area 0.79", Mass 1.3 tons , KB -4, DCV Mod -2

30 STR 30 0 30 15- HTH Damage 6d6 END [2], Lift 1600.0kg

23 DEX 10 39 23 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 6

5 SPD 3.3 17 5 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

11 DEF 2 27 11

14 BODY 14 0 14 12-

0" Ground Mv 6 0 0"

0" Water Mv 2 -2 0"

0" Leaping 0 0 10" 64 Total Characteristics Points

18 Luck of the Hawks: 40 point Teleport Multipower All powers must have no NCM (-1/2), requires Combat Piloting Skill Roll (-1/2), Side effects, (inaccurate Teleport, -1/4).

2u Luck of the Hawks: 20” Teleport, no NCM (-1/2), requires Combat Piloting Skill Roll (-1/2), Side effects, (inaccurate Teleport, -1/4).

2u Luck of the Hawks: 13” Teleport, Megascale (+1/2), (39A), no NCM (-1/2), requires Combat Piloting Skill Roll (-1/2), Side effects, (inaccurate Teleport, -1/4).

20 Hawk Engines: 24” Flight, x4 NCM (96” Max) (approx 176MPH)

52 Hawks Talons: 3d6 RKA (vs. PD), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), 2000 Charges (+1), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (157 A); OIF Bulky, Immobile (-1), Only When Anchored (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

5 Two Talons: each wing has its own installed gun.

10 Blurring Wings: +4 DCV only Vs Multiple attacks from same opponent (-1).

17 Hawk Skills: +5 Skill levels Vs. DCV, Requires Combat Piloting Skill Roll (-1/2).

10 Eyes of the Hawk: +5 with Hawks Talons

12 Unavoidable Aim: +5 with Ranged Combat; Only Counteracts Dodge DCV Bonuses (-1)

Disadvantages

15 ‘Fans’ of the Developer: Hunted: Super Heroes 8-, Mo Pow, Harshly Punish

Vehicular Description

Combining the experimental technologies seen in the Gambler this vehicle sports an aggressively developed transport system based upon the original Sparrowhawk it is an example of a parasite fighter, a small vehicle designed to be deployed from a larger aircraft such as an airship or bomber. At 20 ft (6 m) long and with only a 25 ft (7 m) wingspan, the Sparrowhawk was ideal for service in the fighter complement of large rigid-framed airships because of its small size. Only one Sparrowhawk survives today. It now resides in the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum.

That things is huge they mean ship

True, since it can be used to transport cargo. The night I posted the link, I dreamed about looking out the window and seeing four of those things.

An interesting airship design i had for a campaign....

Awesome; REPPED! And consider it, err... "borrowed"! Yeah, that's it. :sneaky:

I would so pay to do that. They should put it someplace more interesting' date=' though.[/quote']

It does look like a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it. And there are a few dirigible hangars, which are huge. But floating through that would probably tire the person.

They should at least build tiny buildings and farms beneath you. And paint the side wall to look like distant horizons.

Seconded. Or a star field, so you can pretend you're flying through space.