Who is sticking to 4th or 5th Ed HERO

Sir Ofeelya

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Who is sticking to 4th or 5th Ed HERO

5th edition revised had multiple printings. The first printing was on paper that sorta resembled newsprint -- it was darker in color and a little bit rough to the touch. It was high-quality paper, but it wasn't as bright or as smooth as people are used to, so it got a lot of complaints. Later printings were done on a brighter, smoother paper (also high quality). So the people who generally complain that 5er was too dark were the ones who got an earlier printing, while the ones who have no idea what those other people are talking about most likely got a later printing on the different paper.

I've got a first printing, while a buddy of mine has a later printing. The difference is dramatic.

Yeah, I definatly got an early printing. I know that Purchased it as soon as it became available.

Thx Bunneh, for explaining the differences in the print run. I really didn't know that.

Aye see' date=' but part of my vision problem is related to over active pupils. In short, I'm near sighted, but can over focus on small things to a ridiculous level, and I see in the dark like a cat. So the Fred paper works well for me. Anything with any sort of gloss though, is like jamming an icepick in my eye.[/quote']Have you tried reading while wearing sunglasses?

5th edition revised had multiple printings. The first printing was on paper that sorta resembled newsprint -- it was darker in color and a little bit rough to the touch. It was high-quality paper, but it wasn't as bright or as smooth as people are used to, so it got a lot of complaints. Later printings were done on a brighter, smoother paper (also high quality). So the people who generally complain that 5er was too dark were the ones who got an earlier printing, while the ones who have no idea what those other people are talking about most likely got a later printing on the different paper.

I've got a first printing, while a buddy of mine has a later printing. The difference is dramatic.

Thanks for that. I bought it as soon as it was available and yeah, I have always thought the paper was darker and rougher than I liked. I actually prefer the 6E printing I have significantly.

cheers, Mark

Have you tried reading while wearing sunglasses?

Yeah normally I keep them on, especially during Con's or if I'm around a lot of CFL generated light. Unfortunently I broke one of the temples while crossing a mosh pit, and haven't had the free cash to go out and get a new pair (my perscription runs about $300.00 alone before frames and extras).....doesn't help Rayban doesn't make those frames anymore otherwise I would just get a new set of frames and swap lenses, heh......

To return to the topic though....I've got page turning issues as well, but mostly because my callused from 20 plus years of flooring installation fingers, don't get a good grip on that type of paper. Need more bits of twigs and bark in the pulp mixture like the old TP days.

~Rex

Who is sticking to horses and a wagon?

While I'm sure you meant it in good humor, considering the disdain some have for 6E and the very nature of this thread being focused on those who aren't upgrading, your comment could very easily be taken as derisive if not down right baiting.

While I'm sure you meant it in good humor' date=' considering the disdain some have for 6E and the very nature of this thread being focused on those who aren't upgrading, your comment could very easily be taken as derisive if not down right baiting.[/quote']

I'd put it in the baiting camp, as I would this post from another thread.

JoeG

While I'm sure you meant it in good humor' date=' considering the disdain some have for 6E and the very nature of this thread being focused on those who aren't upgrading, your comment could very easily be taken as derisive if not down right baiting.[/quote']

Disdain? Really? I've felt a lot of things about a lot of games but in order to feel Disdain.....that takes work. I don't care for a lot of things, but after reviewing practically the entirety of the 6e vs Fred, the pro 6e folks are very much in the minority of shelling out the Spite and Baiting. They (6e folks) seem to be along the line of the "Try the Brussel Sprouts, you'll Like them!", or "Here's the Technical Reasons!" while the average (NOT ALL OF THEM, Just the Average) anti 6e Response is a 50/50 combo of folks saying "Back off you could offend the roomate of my forum buddies, sister in law's 2nd cousins step brothe'rs, anger management sponsor....." and something like the sounds that come out of a bag of alley cats and aligators, tossed into a wood chipper.....

In between all of that we get some pretty darn good discussions and reasons both for and against that I've found entertaining. That's what I'd like to see more of, and we don't get that if everyone's going to put on their politically correct hat, and make conjecture and assumptions based on opinion and derail the entire thread into a giant "He's Baiting Them" finger pointing game.

Seen the same thing when AdnD went to AdnD 2nd edition, to 3, to 3.5, to Pathfinder, to 4th, etc etc etc, feel free to change the name of the game, the majority of the snakebites, originate from the side of the arguement of the folks that aren't going to move forward for one thing or another, and then what is mostly a harmless quip or some such (Well, harmless ANYWHERE else except the internet....), it gets turned into an argument by White Knighters and Defenders, even when the quips are between a pair or group of people that are all grown up and capable of taking harmless humerous shots at each other....

Now me I've been having a good time seeing why folks are or are not switching. I play every edition out there happily, though I've moved on to 6th for Numerous reasons. It doesn't cease to be a discussion, until it devolves into a bunch of people pointing out "Hey, that could be derisive and baiting to those that feel Disdain for 6e....."

Now the big question is. Who is sticking to 3rd? :D

~Rex

Right click the image (there are 2 up there) choose "Save as Image" a dialog box comes up and you choose where to save the file.

If you are on a mac you can drag the images to your desktop to save them

As if the signature, custom title, slew of posts, and, heck, general presence on this board wasn't enough of a clue.

It's as I posted earlier in this thread. This whole thread was a huge "Come and fight" sign to both sides of the 6e vs 5e discussion. There has been some good discussion, but more negative feelings and uglyness than anything. I was quite glad when it seemed that this thread had died. I was very perplexed to see that someone had necroed it. In fact, I came very close to requesting a thread lock to shut down all of the flames. So far we have been much nicer to one another since the necro.

It's as I posted earlier in this thread. This whole thread was a huge "Come and fight" sign to both sides of the 6e vs 5e discussion. There has been some good discussion' date=' but more negative feelings and uglyness than anything. I was quite glad when it seemed that this thread had died. I was very perplexed to see that someone had necroed it. In fact, I came very close to requesting a thread lock to shut down all of the flames. So far we have been much nicer to one another since the necro.[/quote']

That's because the majority of us that are continuing in the thread are actually capable of understanding inflection for the most part, up to and including sarcasam and humor, and more. For the most part though, we seem to be able to actually debate a topic, without having to resort to knives to the nads, or wrapping the world in bubble wrap and dandelion fluff.....

As for fight.....Heh, I can do that to. It's more fun though to debate. You don't have to be smart to fight, just overly agressive or overly sensitive.

OH......Finally got my hands on the HSMA....Nice work. One of the things I've really liked about 6e so far is that the refined new material, is more or less collected in single volumes as opposed to multiple ones. More Bang for your buck, more ease of use and open formatting explanations for newer folks, smoother and easier to zip through for the experienced folks.

~Rex

OH......Finally got my hands on the HSMA....Nice work. One of the things I've really liked about 6e so far is that the refined new material, is more or less collected in single volumes as opposed to multiple ones. More Bang for your buck, more ease of use and open formatting explanations for newer folks, smoother and easier to zip through for the experienced folks.

~Rex

The collection of both optional rules and official rules was why I purchased both the 5e Hero System Combat Handbook and the 5e Character Creation Handbook. Ultimate Skill was also a good place for the collection of optional rules and new official rules. I am also Glad that Ultimate Skill will be basically unchanged for 6e (exception being Skill Levels new cost) so the book is still usable as it sits.

The collection of both optional rules and official rules was why I purchased both the 5e Hero System Combat Handbook and the 5e Character Creation Handbook. Ultimate Skill was also a good place for the collection of optional rules and new official rules. I am also Glad that Ultimate Skill will be basically unchanged for 6e (exception being Skill Levels new cost) so the book is still usable as it sits.

Heh, 5th Ed Ultimate Skill and Pulp Hero are still finding Huge Amounts of use in my 6e Campaign.

~Rex

The Ultimate Skill was one of those revelationy books. I kept reading through it going "OH MY GOD!" There was a lot of very good stuff in there.

HSMA is my next purchase. I've decided that, at least for now, I'm going all digital. I just don't use the hard covers as much as I used to and the PDFs are so much more portable.

HSMA is solid and well worth the coin. Digital or otherwise. I'll stick with the hardbacks though at least until they come up with a reader that's EXACTLY the size of a book, reading pane wise, and flips pages as fast as what I can read.

~Rex