Earhart’s Final Resting Place Found?

Susano

amelia-earthart.jpg

Legendary aviatrix Amelia Earhart mostly likely died on an uninhabited tropical island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati, according to researchers at The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR).

Tall, slender, blonde and brave, Earhart disappeared while flying over the Pacific Ocean on July 2, 1937 in a record attempt to fly around the world at the equator. Her final resting place has long been a mystery.

For years, Richard Gillespie, TIGHAR’s executive director and author of the book "Finding Amelia," and his crew have been searching the Nikumaroro island for evidence of Earhart. A tiny coral atoll, Nikumaroro was some 300 miles southeast of Earhart’s target destination, Howland Island.

A number of artifacts recovered by TIGHAR would suggest that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, made a forced landing on the island’s smooth, flat coral reef.

More: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/10/23/amelia-earhart.html

Re: Earhart’s Final Resting Place Found?

Well, I'll wait for more proof...but for a Pulp game ...I'm sticking with Amelia being held by the Japanese as a suspected spy!

Well' date=' I'll wait for more proof...but for a Pulp game ...I'm sticking with Amelia being held by the Japanese as a suspected spy![/quote']

I'd heard there was some evidence to support that, but hardly conclusive.

But it probably makes for a better game....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that for a pulp game, there are all kinds of possibilities...alien abduction, portal to another dimension, Cthullhu rising....

"The reason why they found a partial skeleton is that many of the bones had been carried off by giant coconut crabs. There is a remote chance that some of the bones might still survive deep in crab burrows"

Even if a large area centred on where the body was originally found can be thoroughly excavated, I'm not optimistic about results.

Can get lucky, I suppose. But, from what I recall seeing elsewhere (recent Discovery Channel special covering this particular theory), there may not be that much left to recover. The partial skeleton found included most of the bigger and more recognizable bones - skull, pelvis, a lot of the ribs and vertebrae, femurs, etc..

Still, if she was there, it raises the question of Fred Noonen's remains, and her plane presumably came down nearby as well.

Unless he's an alien too. Or maybe one of their minions.

(Now there's an emoticon that is really needed - basically Mr Spock raising one eyebrow).

Agent Susano to Alpha Centauri 1... they're on to me....

• 2 years later...