'Desolid' till next phase after teleporting

CalumX

I'm just porting a 5ER character to 6th edition, and taking the opportunity to update a little bit as well (5 years will have passed in game, so its a good excuse).

The concept: the character teleports, and is 'out of phase' for a few seconds after teleporting. So, if he keeps teleporting around, he'll stay 'out of phase'.. if he skips teleporting for whatever reason.. he'll return to normal and is vulnerable.

I'm planning to model the 'out of phase' using Damage Reduction and/or Resistant Protection (so.. 0END, normally persistent defences).. I would like the defences to stay up if he's Stunned.

The question is - how would you build the relationship between the teleport, and the 'out of phase' powers.

The obvious way: Link the 'out of phase' powers to the Teleport - but then they become Instant, so I need to take Extra Time (Extra Phase) to have them last till his next phase. This works, but it feels a little odd to have more active points in the defence powers to make them less persistent.

The sneaky way: Define the 'out of phase' powers as Extra Time (Extra Phase) as a limitation on a persistent power (-3!), and then have Teleport linked to the persistent power. This a) feels wrong (its linking the wrong way), and B) seems stupidly cheap with the -3 limitation in there. I wouldnt allow this if I was GMing.

Any other suggestions? How would you do it.

Re: 'Desolid' till next phase after teleporting

Personally' date=' I'd just use a custom limitation. Instant is -1/2, so I'd put "lasts till next phase" at -1/4. This would be in addition to Linked.[/quote']

But Linked makes the defence Instant, so.. taking a limitation to make it "less instant" feels wrong.

If the character's 'out of phase', use Desolid. Make it Instant, link it to the teleport, but then also add in the "Lingering" advantage. Poof, the character can't USE the desolid unless they teleport -- and can't keep the desolid up unless, again, they're teleporting.

Desolidification , Lingering +1 Phase (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Instant (-1/2), Linked ("Bamf" Teleport; -1/2): 70 Active Points, 40 real cost.

Granted, that's 5th Ed, don't know precisely how they do it in 6th, but it should give you a place to go from...

I'm just porting a 5ER character to 6th edition, and taking the opportunity to update a little bit as well (5 years will have passed in game, so its a good excuse).

The concept: the character teleports, and is 'out of phase' for a few seconds after teleporting. So, if he keeps teleporting around, he'll stay 'out of phase'.. if he skips teleporting for whatever reason.. he'll return to normal and is vulnerable.

I'm planning to model the 'out of phase' using Damage Reduction and/or Resistant Protection (so.. 0END, normally persistent defences).. I would like the defences to stay up if he's Stunned.

The question is - how would you build the relationship between the teleport, and the 'out of phase' powers.

The obvious way: Link the 'out of phase' powers to the Teleport - but then they become Instant, so I need to take Extra Time (Extra Phase) to have them last till his next phase. This works, but it feels a little odd to have more active points in the defence powers to make them less persistent.

The sneaky way: Define the 'out of phase' powers as Extra Time (Extra Phase) as a limitation on a persistent power (-3!), and then have Teleport linked to the persistent power. This a) feels wrong (its linking the wrong way), and B) seems stupidly cheap with the -3 limitation in there. I wouldnt allow this if I was GMing.

Any other suggestions? How would you do it.

Extra Time doesn't really work, as it refers to the time to activate the power. In 6E, what you want is the Time Limit modifier, which for persistent powers which cost no END, or only cost END to activate (Resistant Protection and Damage Reduction both fit this profile) is a Limitation.

So:

1) Teleport Xm

2) Some Defense Power, Triggered (Character uses Teleport, Activating the Trigger takes no Time, Trigger resets automatically after Use; +1), Time Limit (until next phase; -3)

Extra Time doesn't really work, as it refers to the time to activate the power. In 6E, what you want is the Time Limit modifier, which for persistent powers which cost no END, or only cost END to activate (Resistant Protection and Damage Reduction both fit this profile) is a Limitation.

So:

1) Teleport Xm

2) Some Defense Power, Triggered (Character uses Teleport, Activating the Trigger takes no Time, Trigger resets automatically after Use; +1), Time Limit (until next phase; -3)

I meant Time Limit, I just typed the wrong thing. Trigger isnt a bad idea, but it increases the active points..

OK, let us look at what is actually happening here: you teleport, and your defences turn on, and remain on for the rest of that phase and the next one, then they turn off, and you can only re-activate them by teleporting again, but so long as you keep teleporting, they remain on indefinitely AND they will remain on for this and next phase even if you are stunned or KO'd?

Mechanically, Trigger is not necessary here, IMO. Buy your defences with a limitation 'defence only works on the phase you teleport and the following phase'.

Now it is going to be pretty rare that you can't teleport at all, even if it is a 0 metre teleoprt to the same spot: assuming you do not allow 'casual movement (APG) that means you need to use up a half phase every other phase - but then movement is pretty common anyway. What I'm getting to here is that it simply is not much of a limitation - you will only be deprived of the defences if you have the teleportation drained away completely.

I'd therefore give that a -1/4. The defences remain on even if you are KO'd - but only, in effect, for the phase following a teleport - you're not messing with their Persistence, just defining a condition as to when the defences actually work: you are not turning the defences on and off - they remain on - but are not always effective which, as I've said, is not that limiting in this case.

I would never allow a -3 limitation on something like this because that does not accurately reflect the (minor) loss of utility. Even if it is book legal it goes against the spirit of the limitation - you are only supposed to sue it when you have complicated startup limitations too - which you don't.

Mechanically, Trigger is not necessary here, IMO. Buy your defences with a limitation 'defence only works on the phase you teleport and the following phase'.

Perfect, thanks. My head was stuck in the idea that I had to use Linked, but this works perfectly, and -1/4 feels about right for this.

There are usually several ways to build something in Hero, the most appropriate is often dictated by other factors in the character build.

The original request (as I understood it) was for a power that lasted UNTIL the character's next Phase, not this phase and the next (simply pointed out for clarity).

I don't think this makes either build invalid. I agree that without some form of startup limitations, the (-3) value is too high, and I would likely downgrade it to a lower value, based on my understanding of the rest of the character build.