6E Core Books vs. Basic Rulebook

Thanee

Hey!

I got the two 6E books and the Basic Rulebook and noticed, that the rules are not exactly the same (i.e. the 10/12pt Skill Levels in the Core books cost 8/10pt in the Basic Rulebook).

My question is... are there actual differences between these two rules sets, or are those just some editing errors that slipped in?

Also, will the PDFs be updated in the HERO store (and others, like DriveThruRPG) eventually, so the up-to-date version can be downloaded again?

Thanks! :sneaky:

Bye

Thanee

Re: 6E Core Books vs. Basic Rulebook

Okies, thanks!

Maybe I will get me an actual book of the Basic Rulebook, too, then. It's nice to have a more condensed reference.

And I can certainly understand, that getting the various lines updated to 6th edition is a higher priority. Actually waiting for Fantasy Hero for 6th Edition already. :)

Good to know, that the PDF updates are on the horizon at least.

:thumbup:

Bye

Thanee

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I have (somewhere buried deep in my basement) an old copy of the original Champions hardcover book from 20+ years ago.

Is the basic rulebook similar to this? In other words, that's all I need to play the game?

... and then if I want to "upgrade" I would get 'Character Creation' and 'Combat and Adventuring'?

I'm a little confused about what I need to get a game going. If my basement wasn't such a mess I would just get out the old Champions book from the 80s....

Thanks for any info.

Basic Rules - contains 95% of the Hero System. There are a few things removed that tend to be more advanced in nature, descriptions aren't nearly as fleshed out, and things are stripped down to the basic. Slightly less than what came in the Champions book you have.

The 2 Volume Rules contains everything, all the rules, optional aspects, suggestions, examples, information on setting up and running campaigns, a genre-by-genre look, altering the rules; all a lot more than what came with the 4th Ed Hardcover Champions from 20 yrs ago (but minus a single actual setting).

You could go with either one to start gaming though the 2 Volume Rules has a lot more in the way of help and the Basic is a much cheaper entry into the System to try it out.

The Basic Rulebook is a 130-page distillation of the core, essential HERO System rules. It's got everything you need to play, though a lot of details, advanced options, expanded descriptions, etc., etc. are missing. You will see game elements used in supplements that you won't recognize because they're advanced stuff not in the BR, but in many cases you'll probably be able to figure out what they do.

The full HERO System 6th Edition rulebook is a two-volume set that's nearly 800 pages long total (hence my description of the BR as a "distillation"). It's got all the bells and whistles -- every game element associated with the HERO rules, all the explanation and examples, the variants and options, you name it.

Thanks to both for the info.

Sounds like it might be worth it to get both the basic and the "mega". Learn it with the basic (and don't scare off the other guys) -- and then use the mega for all the options and stuff once we're comfortable. I'll run it by my group.

I was looking on the website and didn't see any bundles with all 3 books / PDFs. Was one there and I missed it? Or that's just not popular enough of a combo? :P

• 8 months later...

So' date=' it appears that the HERO System Basic Rulebook is to 6th Edition what Sidekick was to 5th Edition. Is this an accurate assessment?[/quote']

That is exactly the relationship. Hero Games decided that, "Sidekick" might be unclear.

• 1 year later...