HERO System Martial Arts

Steve Long

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: HERO System Martial Arts

2. We didn't title this book "Ninja Hero" because that title would be inappropriate. "Ninja Hero" is a genre -- our term for games simulating the Martial Arts as a genre' date=' in other words -- but HSMA goes well beyond mere genre considerations by including the sort of material that appeared in UMA prior to now. HSMA does use the term "Ninja Hero" in its text when referring to the Martial Arts as a genre, and other HERO System books will as well.[/quote']

So true, boss man. And I am so shure our own Susano will grace us with a Ninja Hero 3rd Edition soonish. And since the 3rd edition dosen't have a thread yet (since Steve dosen't have Susano's manuscript cause he simply dosen't work that fast), hear is a list of things I want to see in Ninja Hero 3rd Edition.

1) A timeline of Chinies, Koreian, and Japanies history.

2) A few notes of culture and las in the anchient oriental world.

3) A section of the Japanies Bushi Samura, and there culture (Bushi means Warrior, by the way. Not all Samuri were Bushi.)

4) A "You Got To Have Charater" section with such famous martial artest like Wong Fei-Hung, San Ta, Jubie Yaguri(sp?), "Hanzo Hitori" (a generic name of a well skilled ninja, I am shure Susano can put stats to him with ease), Amoxcra Shiro Tosumgo(sp?) (the Cristian Samuri who rebelled agenst Japan and was killed), ect, ect, ect.

5) A brefe history of the Shaolin Temple, and a brefe listing of infamous monks from the temple.

Well, thanks for hearing me out.

Stanley R. Teriaca, unesquier.

So true, boss man. And I am so shure our own Susano will grace us with a Ninja Hero 3rd Edition soonish. And since the 3rd edition dosen't have a thread yet (since Steve dosen't have Susano's manuscript cause he simply dosen't work that fast), hear is a list of things I want to see in Ninja Hero 3rd Edition.

1) A timeline of Chinies, Koreian, and Japanies history.

2) A few notes of culture and las in the anchient oriental world.

3) A section of the Japanies Bushi Samura, and there culture (Bushi means Warrior, by the way. Not all Samuri were Bushi.)

4) A "You Got To Have Charater" section with such famous martial artest like Wong Fei-Hung, San Ta, Jubie Yaguri(sp?), "Hanzo Hitori" (a generic name of a well skilled ninja, I am shure Susano can put stats to him with ease), Amoxcra Shiro Tosumgo(sp?) (the Cristian Samuri who rebelled agenst Japan and was killed), ect, ect, ect.

5) A brefe history of the Shaolin Temple, and a brefe listing of infamous monks from the temple.

Well, thanks for hearing me out.

Stanley R. Teriaca, unesquier.

What you're describing isn't Ninja Hero 3rd Edition. For starters, it would be 6th Edition, since it would be written for Hero 6E. Second, Ninja Hero is now part of HSMA, so it won't be a stand-along book. Third, Ninja Hero refers to martial arts campaigning in general, not just Asian-based games. So your Ninja Hero game could range from the Three Musketeers to the Seven Samurai. Finally, you're asking for what really boils down to something like "Asian Warrior Hero," which is probably not something Steve will write due to (IMO) a lack of market value to make the time and effort to create such as book worth his while.

Some of what you're asking for is in HSMA. There's a section on samurai and discussion is had of the Shaolin Temple.

As for the rest... I'd love to #4. I could even start with all of the NPCs I did for NH for 5E and all of the characters I submitted to Digital Hero. Oh, and one of those was Wong Fei-Hong.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through the book now. It looks fantastic.

I have found something, though. In Chapter 2, I don't see a description for EXERT under Basis and Element Descriptions. Could you post that description? Could you point out an existing Maneuver that uses EXERT?

Thanks!

Exert doesn't need any additional description. Any Maneuver you see that's built using STR to do something other than cause damage -- such as Grabs, Disarms, and the like -- is built using Exert. The one-line description on HSMA 93 is pretty much all I have to say on the subject. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Got the PDF today (and I hope I haven't fouled up my checking account to do it). Tons of good stuff, but awfully big -- if I want a hardcopy, I should probably buy a copy locally rather than try and print my own as I do on smaller books.

Very nice job, with lots of crunchy Hero goodness. I approve.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this book up on a whim last week at my FLGS, and I have to say this is the best supplement for any game that I have ever purchased. It's full of so much useful information, and has now inspired me to develop a game set in the Three Kingdoms time period in China. Thanks for creating such a great book, I am definitely buying more in the future!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the character pack - Liking it, so far. A few minor problems I've noticed, browsing through the Realistic Martial Arts abilities in the HD pack...

1) Iajutsu: Fast Draw: Common Melee eapons

2) Both I've Taken Your Measure and Weaker Measure are 2d6; in fact, I couldn't find a difference between them.

3) Mirror Strike and Weak Mirror Strike both have the same stats, as well.

I'll be buying the book when I have the money. :)

I bought the character pack - Liking it, so far. A few minor problems I've noticed, browsing through the Realistic Martial Arts abilities in the HD pack...

2) Both I've Taken Your Measure and Weaker Measure are 2d6; in fact, I couldn't find a difference between them.

typographical error in the book?

• 2 weeks later...

3) Mirror Strike and Weak Mirror Strike both have the same stats, as well.

I'll be buying the book when I have the money. :)

Errors in the Character Pack only. The book has correct spelling and differing values respectively.

So' date=' on a related note, remind me to ask when we'll bee a Charatcer Pack for [i']Champions Powers[/i]. I know it's a lot of work, and that it'll be expensive, but IMHO it would be worth it.

We're working on it.

• 1 month later...

The new' date=' smaller version of the PDF is up. From 47.9 MB to 16.6 MB. Great Job to both bunneh and Jason for fixing it so quickly.[/quote']

Any chance of getting the bigger version? PDF compression always comes at a price (visibly downgraded image quality, especially when viewed at higher magnification) and hard disk space is obscenely cheap these days.