A Robert E. Howard moment.....

RexMundi

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A Robert E. Howard moment.....

Normally I wouldn't get into this discussion because it reinforces the mistaken idea that Howard's work is all blood and guts without any brains. :P

But then I realized something: you left out the most destructive of Howard's characters - Breckenridge Elkins. The others, with the possible exception of Steve Costigan, aren't likely to start a brawl just for the hell of it. Breck Elkins would, even if only by accident. ;)

In all seriousness? Kull or Conan. Both are huge men, stronger even by Howard standards, and Conan is used to fighting groups (he's really, really fast).

For a more flippant answer... "Who ever wins, the bar looses."

*Works in the corner with Sailor Steve...* "S'allright Steve....Ya can take the Bums! .....Ones gotta Pilgrim hat on fer Christs sakes, an them other three are ah' wearin Fur jockstraps. Hammer 'im both Stevie, work yer combos, an drop 'em like Dempsey in the ninth, afta that's, goin after the one dressed like an Aay-rab, should be easy as puddin!"

~Rex....Rings the Bell sends Steve back into the fray.

*Works in the corner with Sailor Steve...* "S'allright Steve....Ya can take the Bums! .....Ones gotta Pilgrim hat on fer Christs sakes, an them other three are ah' wearin Fur jockstraps. Hammer 'im both Stevie, work yer combos, an drop 'em like Dempsey in the ninth, afta that's, goin after the one dressed like an Aay-rab, should be easy as puddin!"

~Rex....Rings the Bell sends Steve back into the fray.

true the sailor knows awesome boxing science, that counts for a lot with weapons out of the picture....

First let me say that I haven't got to read any Steve Costigan. Nor have I even heard of Breck Elkins. But I can confidently say that the final brawl would be between Kull the Conquer and Conan the Cimmerian. Why? Because Howard has explicitly stated that Barabarians are better than Civilised man. So it would be down these two. Though I just remebered that Kull has come to the aide of Bran Mak Morn, so that could throw a monkey wrench in the bar fight. But considering everything that Conan survived, he would be the winner, unless he was drunk. Could any of the other characters survive an attack by the vicous man-eater gray ape, or could cut giant snakes in twain?

But I could be wrong.

*Is shocked, and speechless even that someone would not know, the amazing stories of Sailor Steve Costigan, or the even far more amazing unstoppable force of nature, that was Breck Elkins....* .....Air......need air......and......a beer.....can't believe it......oh the Humanity! Quick, Emergency Robert E. Howard Moment!, someone send this guy a collected works!

~Rex

*Is shocked, and speechless even that someone would not know, the amazing stories of Sailor Steve Costigan, or the even far more amazing unstoppable force of nature, that was Breck Elkins....* .....Air......need air......and......a beer.....can't believe it......oh the Humanity! Quick, Emergency Robert E. Howard Moment!, someone send this guy a collected works!

~Rex

Well hopefully there in the new anthalogy series by Del Rey Books. I'm collecting them! :)

Yeah I've got to give Del Rey credit for bringing the trades in for the Howard Material. Keeps me from having to loan out the really OLD stuff, heh. And since I just had a friend of mines little uncontrolled Demon Spawn destroy one of my treasured old collectors items ( Still....angry about that....made sure Demon Spawns father understood that in the ring this morning when we went sparring...), the Del Rey Trades are a nice thing to have on the book shelf.

~Rex

I've read the Solomon Kane collection, a few of the Conan stories.

right now I'm kinda bummed. An english prof. friend recommended an old(1944) pulpy mystery to me. "Rim of the Pit" by "Hake Talbott" which is a pen name. I found a copy on Amazon of the 1996 or so reprint for about $18. Add shipping, and that is just too much for a book right at the moment.

Tried to get it through inter-library loan.

Stanford and Carlsbad have it as "non circulating"

the only other library that came up was in Germany...

Rex - I shaw that REH wrote a story about elves? Is that true? What's the deal?

Heh.....That's like saying, Poul Anderson wrote about Elves, in the Novel "The Broken Sword." .......These ain't your fanboy elves here.....

~Rex